Rex: Leonhard to Return Punts/More Touches for Leon on Offense

JohnnyHector

New Jet Jim Leonhard to return punts

by Dave Hutchinson Tuesday March 03, 2009, 3:09 PM

Have a little nugget here folks on new Jets safety Jim Leonhard.

Leonhard, a favorite of coach Rex Ryan, is an outstanding punt returner in addtion to a solid safety and Ryan plans to use him in that role to give Pro Bowler Leon Washington a break because he wants to use him more in the running game.

Last season, Leonhard averaged 11.6 yards per return with a long of 46 yards on 20 returns. He isn't a dynamic returner but he does the most important thing that a punt returner must do -- he catches the ball.

Ryan recently told me that Leonhard can catch the ball ``in a hurricane.''

Ryan is excited about having Leonhard as a punt return option because he plans on giving Washington more carries this upcoming season and he doesn't want to wear the diminutive Washington down. Washington had just 76 attempts for 448 yards (5.8-yard average) and three touchdowns last season.

As a safety, Leonhard, 5-foot-8, 186 pounds, is a four-year veteran out of Wisconsin. He had 69 tackles, one sack and one interception last season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So our best playmaker is going to be getting the ball more on offense? What a crazy concept.

Who would have thunk it?

Heres a question though, who came up with this idea? The guy that failed to give our best play maker the ball last season (schotty) or the guy that is coming into change turn this ship around? (Ryan)

Who would have thunk it?

Heres a question though, who came up with this idea? The guy that failed to give our best play maker the ball last season (schotty) or the guy that is coming into change turn this ship around? (Ryan)

Schotty: Hey, I think we should get Leon the ball more, he is our best playmaker. When he gets the ball, good things happen.

Mangini: Yea, but that's what their defense is expecting. If we don't give Leon the ball... they will be so confused and lost!!

Who would have thunk it?

Next thing you know, we'll actually be blitzing on defense.

Why is he announcing this stuff now? The other teams now have proof that we will indeed have a punt returner next year. What an idiot.

What's next Ryan reveals what leg Vilma injured a few years ago?

Mangini is rolling over in his grave. All his hard work has been undone.

:-P:-P

Why is he announcing this stuff now? The other teams now have proof that we will indeed have a punt returner next year. What an idiot.

He also announced that Bart Scott will play on defense... DAMN there goes the element of surprise week 1!

You may be on to something and not even realize it. I think Rex and company are feeding the media MIS-information. Let them think Leonhard will return punts... they will have no clue what to do when they see Leon back there. Awesomeness.

There's a novel idea, give Leon more touches on offense. I wonder why nobody thought of that before.

That's the scary part. The dunce that didn't think of it before is still the O.C. Let's hope Rex puts the fear of God into Schotty.

You may be on to something and not even realize it. I think Rex and company are feeding the media MIS-information. Let them think Leonhard will return punts... they will have no clue what to do when they see Leon back there. Awesomeness.

:rl:

Smoke screen!

Awesomeness would be feeding them misinformation because he plans on having Jenkins return punts.

Mangini is to busy contemplating the effects of painting everything white at his practice facility and checking his players wonderlic scores.

As long as Leon is still returning KO's this will be awesome.

agree,,and call me carzy, ut i think leon can handle a few punt returns and EXTRA work in backfield also..I like Leon reurning all kicks and doin more in backfield,,work his ass off..:rl:

agree,,and call me carzy, ut i think leon can handle a few punt returns and EXTRA work in backfield also..I like Leon reurning all kicks and doin more in backfield,,work his ass off..:rl:

I think they want to use leon more on 1st down and not just 3rd and long miracle plays... so the train of thought is not to get him winded on a punt return and then toss him in a 1st down...

Why are people giving Rex credit for this when so many people here were killing Schotty (rather than Mangini) for not giving Leon enough touches on offense?

Who's fault was it under Mangini? Mangini or Schotty?

Why are people giving Rex credit for this when so many people here were killing Schotty (rather than Mangini) for not giving Leon enough touches on offense?

Both.

Even if it is Schott's idea you have to give Rex credit for letting his OC do things like, I don't know, have some input in the offense...

Archived