Rex: Leonhard to Return Punts/More Touches for Leon on Offense

JohnnyHector

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are people giving Rex credit for this when so many people here were killing Schotty (rather than Mangini) for not giving Leon enough touches on offense?

Who's fault was it under Mangini? Mangini or Schotty?

Ultimately, it's always the head guy's fault. That's why Mangini is gone. I still don't think Mangini or Favre checked out of Schotty's plays or formations. I don't give Schotty a pass.

I think they want to use leon more on 1st down and not just 3rd and long miracle plays... so the train of thought is not to get him winded on a punt return and then toss him in a 1st down...

I know that..

I am just saying 'he can f'in handle it'

He also announced that Bart Scott will play on defense... DAMN there goes the element of surprise week 1!

Unreal.

Personally I would platoon Scott as the 5th TE\In Motion guy on offense.

Mangini screamed control freak, there's no doubt in my mind he had a heavy input in Schotty's offense.

That's not to say he's going to be excellent now, but I think you'll see Leon get worked in a lot more, and more creativity in playcalling, not the same Brad Smith reverse every other week (Although to their credit it worked more often then not).

Not yet.. but he hasn't won or lost a game.

Come talk to me in December.

If we are 9-4 vs 4-9 it will make a big difference in how much I like him or not.

BZ

4-9 and I might jump off a bridge... this team has too much talent for that...

Maybe it's just a smokescreen. Leon is a great kick returner, but I never liked him much on punts. They say this and they can get him to give up his punt return job without it looking like a demotion. FWIW, Leonhard averaged better than 1 yard more per return.

Exactly.

Leon is a Top 3 Kick Returner, easily, but he hasn't really ever been special on Punt Returns. Not that Leonhard has been one of the best but if less touches on punts for Leon = more offensive touches or plays, I'm all for it. I like Leonhard a lot, both on Special Teams and more importantly, Defense.

Ryan = crazy

IMO he should keep his mouth shut when the games begin. He sure likes to tell the other 31 teams what his plans are..... in March.

"My name is Rex Ryan and I will tell you exactly what I plan to do for the upcoming season."

IMO he should keep his mouth shut when the games begin. He sure likes to tell the other 31 teams what his plans are..... in March.

"My name is Rex Ryan and I will tell you exactly what I plan to do for the upcoming season."

I prefer he doesn't say this either. Not much is gained. May also tip one's hand during the draft as well.

Rookie mistake. Gainzo, be sure he gets the memo.

I prefer he doesn't say this either. Not much is gained. May also tip one's hand during the draft as well.

Rookie mistake. Gainzo, be sure he gets the memo.

He is excited that he finally has his chance as an HC. Good for him.

Based on his comments the last few weeks I wouldn't put it past him if he tips his hand for the draft. The guy is crazy.

New Jet Jim Leonhard to return punts

by Dave Hutchinson Tuesday March 03, 2009, 3:09 PM

Have a little nugget here folks on new Jets safety Jim Leonhard.

Leonhard, a favorite of coach Rex Ryan, is an outstanding punt returner in addtion to a solid safety and Ryan plans to use him in that role to give Pro Bowler Leon Washington a break because he wants to use him more in the running game.

Last season, Leonhard averaged 11.6 yards per return with a long of 46 yards on 20 returns. He isn't a dynamic returner but he does the most important thing that a punt returner must do -- he catches the ball.

Ryan recently told me that Leonhard can catch the ball ``in a hurricane.''

Ryan is excited about having Leonhard as a punt return option because he plans on giving Washington more carries this upcoming season and he doesn't want to wear the diminutive Washington down. Washington had just 76 attempts for 448 yards (5.8-yard average) and three touchdowns last season.

As a safety, Leonhard, 5-foot-8, 186 pounds, is a four-year veteran out of Wisconsin. He had 69 tackles, one sack and one interception last season.

OK wonderful, but why do we treat Leon like a friggin china doll, he a f$%kin football player, he's a bad a$$. He's a MUCH MUCH MUCH better PR who could take it home at any time AND,get this, STILL GET MORE TOUCHES!!!!! He's an NFL running back.

He's 202 lbs, he's the same exact size as barry sanders, who got the ball every play on the lions for 10 years. He's the exact size of Warrick Dunn,an every down back with a successful Bucs team +a heck of a career as a workhorse. Leonhard's still playing every down at Safety.

We're giving Leon 5 more touches a game so we take him off PR's where he could explode for 6 at any minute.

He's a great KR AND PR, he's great ANYTIME he has the ball in space.

OH yeah is is just spewing out secrets...

OH yeah is is just spewing out secrets...

I never said secrets, but I wont be surprised when Rex says he is going to run the ball all day before a game.

He has confidence, and thats cool, but can his team back up his bravado?

I never said secrets, but I wont be surprised when Rex says he is going to run the ball all day before a game.

He has confidence, and thats cool, but can his team back up his bravado?

Yes.

Archived