Why Do Most Jets Fans Consider Shaun Ellis to be "Average?"

JMJ

As long as I NEVER see Pouha on the field, I'm cool. If that dude's in, count on at least an eight yard gain.

I'd love to see the average yards per play against Pouha.

I'll never forget seeing him being put on his butt, facing the opposition's goal posts on one play he was filling in for Jenkins-you just sat there thinking this guy is out of his league

Ellis and Coleman are average at best primarily because you never get a full season out of either of them. Ellis is certainly a good player but he's always racking up these little injuries that sap his effectiveness. He plays hurt, mostly due to the fact that we never have any depth, but not well. Coleman just doesn't have the endurance. He started really well in 2007 and then vanished down the stretch. I had hoped at the time that it was due to his not having played a full season before, but then this year he faded even faster.

Fortunately for us this is a real easy fix.

large_MARQUESDOUGLAS.jpg

Umm, Shaun Ellis has missed 4 games in his 9 year career here, and Coleman hasn't missed any as a Jet. Durability is far from a problem. Douglas would be okay, just would prefer my backup to have a little more upside personally.

For those saying he disappears often, he plays a position (3-4 DE) where it is pretty much impossible NOT to disappear often. 3-4 DE is simply not a big-play position by nature. You are asked and expected to do mostly dirty work and we should be happy that Ellis indeed does show flashes of brilliance from time to time. I think that should be something we commend and appreciate, not something we try and hold against him.

Look at it like this, he's showing a lot more flashes of brilliance and "appearing" a lot more often then all these other 3-4 DEs across the league...

Again, I ask all people pointing to his "consistency" as their reason for calling him average to reply to this post.

Ellis is good against the run and 2nd in all the NFL in sacks (18) amongst 3-4 DEs over the past 3 years.

Please quote the post I did above and tell me who'd you rather have. He is obviously showing up more "consistently" then all but one other 3-4 DE. Please explain how that is incosistent.

Again, if he sucked against the run then you could make a valid argument but he doesn't so I can't see how you can. Football Outsiders has all the necessary in-depth stats to prove he doesn't suck against the run.

Again, I ask all people pointing to his "consistency" as their reason for calling him average to reply to this post.

Ellis is good against the run and 2nd in all the NFL in sacks (18) amongst 3-4 DEs over the past 3 years.

Please quote the post I did above and tell me who'd you rather have. He is obviously showing up more "consistently" then all but one other 3-4 DE. Please explain how that is incosistent.

Again, if he sucked against the run then you could make a valid argument but he doesn't so I can't see how you can. Football Outsiders has all the necessary in-depth stats to prove he doesn't suck against the run.

WHO should we have there? Ellis. Who should we have on the other side? Somebody else-I trust Rex Ryan to be the guy to make that determination JMJ, I'm not on the Jets coaching staff so I won't pretend to know what should be done only that SOMETHING must be. Hey we let CJ go we NEED another DE-either switch Gholston to the 3 point stance or sign this Douglas kid who was on Rex's team and is a DE

18 sacks in the last 3 years is 2nd amongst all 3-4 DEs in the NFL.

It is more sacks then Aaron Smith, Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Igor Olshansky, Luis Castillo, Brett Kiesel, and every other DE in the NFL that suits up and plays for a 3-4 defense.

The only 3-4 DE in the NFL with more sacks then Shaun Ellis over the past 3 seasons is Trevor Pryce from Baltimore.

Please quote the post I did above and tell me who'd you rather have.

All of them except Spears.

Now you can blame alot of it on the coaching staff and their approach but I would think one of the stats you look at for a 34 DE is how many pressures the team generates from his side of the field. When Ellis' play went downhill(which really began with the Broncos game) our pass rush fell off a cliff. Again alot of that was the great Mangina, but the players have to get some blame, Ellis included. As far as the run defense based on the FO stats it looks like Ellis was good on the outside and below average when it came to trying to clog up anything inside in 2008. You go back to 2007 and the whole defensive line was awful in those stats, Ellis' spot included. Same goes for 2006.

Now you can blame alot of it on the coaching staff and their approach but I would think one of the stats you look at for a 34 DE is how many pressures the team generates from his side of the field. When Ellis' play went downhill(which really began with the Broncos game) our pass rush fell off a cliff. Again alot of that was the great Mangina, but the players have to get some blame, Ellis included. As far as the run defense based on the FO stats it looks like Ellis was good on the outside and below average when it came to trying to clog up anything inside in 2008. You go back to 2007 and the whole defensive line was awful in those stats, Ellis' spot included. Same goes for 2006.

and we were 29th in pass defense last year which is unbelievable to me, (considering we had a pro bowler on one side) a lot of that had to do with the lack of pressure applied by the front 3. I mean when you get taken apart by the likes of Shawn Hill, Chad Pennington, Seneca Wallace and some of the other nobodies we played against...

3-4 DE starters I like better than Ellis:

Seymour

Warren

Castillo

Olshansky

Canty

Smith

Kiesel

Pryce (well...meh now cause he's 35)

Ellis is a good player, but he's nothing super special. I used to defend him when everyone and their mother loved to bash him, but at this point he's a good player and not much else.

Not someone that's easy to upgrade...but we don't need to do that we just need to find a young guy we can groom behind him.

Archived