Jarron Gilbert's strength

Greenseed3

This kid can move, and we've seen him jump out of a pool. But what stuck out to me is his strength. At the combine players with short arms, typically put up better reps on the bench press; they have a shorter distance to move the weight.

Gilbert's arms measured in at 36' 3/4... tied for longest arms of all D-lineman (with Rulan Davis of California).

Yet he put up 225, 28 times. Other players as strong or stronger:

Ron Brace, 32 reps

Adrian Grady, 31 reps

Ra'Shon Harris, 28 reps

Evander Hood, 34 reps

Michael Johnson, 28 reps

Alex Magee, 30 reps

Roy Miller, 36 reps

Khalif Mitchel, 35 reps

Brian Orokpo, 31 reps

BJ Raji, 33 reps

Dorell Scott, 29 reps

Terrance Taylor, 37 reps

David Veikune, 35 reps

Vance Walker, 29 reps

Lawerence Sidbury, 28 reps

Of this list, only 8 players could turn in a 40-time under 5.00... Of them, only two, bolded, are really the ideal height for a DE in a 3-4.

DE David Veikune, Hawaii, 6-2, 257

DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr, Richmond, 6-2, 266

DE Dorell Scott, Clemson, 6-3, 312,

DE Brian Orokpo, Texas, 6-3, 263

DE Micheal Johnson, Georia Tech, 6-6, 266

DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St, 6-5, 288

DE Evander Hood, Missouri, 6-2, 300

DT Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon, 6-3, 298

From what I've been hearing, he is one of the fastest rising prospects in the draft and there was even some talk of making him a LT (I believe his father played LT in the NFL...or someone in the family).

He had decent production up until this past year where he absolutely dominated; 52 tackles, 22 TFL and 9.5 sacks from the DT position.

Besides strength and size, he has fantastic lateral quickness and good initial burst...he is one of my favorite prospects this year. I have a feeling he is going to be taken in the early 2nd and not make it to our pick; he could even work his way into the bottom of the first. Sounds crazy, but the kid can play.

This kid can move, and we've seen him jump out of a pool. But what stuck out to me is his strength. At the combine players with short arms, typically put up better reps on the bench press; they have a shorter distance to move the weight.

Gilbert's arms measured in at 36' 3/4... tied for longest arms of all D-lineman (with Rulan Davis of California).

Yet he put up 225, 28 times. Other players as strong or stronger:

Ron Brace, 32 reps

Adrian Grady, 31 reps

Ra'Shon Harris, 28 reps

Evander Hood, 34 reps

Michael Johnson, 28 reps

Alex Magee, 30 reps

Roy Miller, 36 reps

Khalif Mitchel, 35 reps

Brian Orokpo, 31 reps

BJ Raji, 33 reps

Dorell Scott, 29 reps

Terrance Taylor, 37 reps

David Veikune, 35 reps

Vance Walker, 29 reps

Lawerence Sidbury, 28 reps

Of this list, only 8 players could turn in a 40-time under 5.00... Of them, only two, bolded, are really the ideal height for a DE in a 3-4.

DE David Veikune, Hawaii, 6-2, 257

DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr, Richmond, 6-2, 266

DE Dorell Scott, Clemson, 6-3, 312,

DE Brian Orokpo, Texas, 6-3, 263

DE Micheal Johnson, Georia Tech, 6-6, 266

DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St, 6-5, 288

DE Evander Hood, Missouri, 6-2, 300

DT Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon, 6-3, 298

I've never heard of this dude, but if he's jumping out of pools and he can play both DE and DT with his quickness he sounds like a very good back up on this team and would work well with how Rex runs his defense. Also, he'll be familiar with Dwight Lowery since they both went to the same school.

Great post!

Archived