A-Rod opts for hip surgery

LockeJET

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3961898

TAMPA, Fla. -- Alex Rodriguez will have arthroscopic hip surgery on Monday and is expected to miss six to nine weeks.

5275.jpg Rodriguez

Rodriguez has a torn labrum and a cyst in his right hip. The cyst was drained last Wednesday, and the Yankees slugger had additional tests Friday to test the hip's strength and flexibility.

The diagnosis by Dr. Marc Philippon, in Vail, Colo., was yet another jolt to Rodriguez during a tumultuous one-month span in which the three-time AL MVP admitted using steroids from 2001-03 while with Texas.

Although Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he was pretty confident surgery will eventually be needed, the Yankees had hoped A-Rod would play with the injury this season.

Rodriguez is in the second season of a record $275 million, 10-year contract.

UPDATE, 9:36 a.m.: Alex Rodriguez will have less invasive surgery to repair the labrum, try to play and then have a full repair after the season.

UPDATE, 9:40 a.m.: A-Rod has an impingement, meaning bone is striking bone. The initial surgery will fix the labrum. The second will repair the bone deformity.

The goal, Dr. Philiipon, will be a rapid rehab.

I don't get why he wouldn't opt to have the full surgery right away, so he doesn't have to play through pain the entire season. 9 Weeks is taking this into May already.

He probably won't have any pain, being that they are going to repair the torn labrum.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/03/08/spring-game-12-yankees-at-tigers/#comments

A-Rod has an impingement, meaning bone is striking bone. The initial surgery will fix the labrum. The second will repair the bone deformity.

Remember the season doesn't start for another 4 weeks. Meaning the latest we can get him back is April 27th. Far better than July or August.

He probably won't have any pain, being that they are going to repair the torn labrum.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/03/08/spring-game-12-yankees-at-tigers/#comments

Remember the season doesn't start for another 4 weeks. Meaning the latest we can get him back is April 27th. Far better than July or August.

I'm no doctor, but from what I've read is that even though they're fixing the Labrum, the underlying condition (The cyst) is still there. Even the doctor performing the procedure said that this would only make it about an 85-90% chance that he is able to play through the season. Considering this is going to make him miss part of the regular season anyways, I would say just get the procedure over with so you can come back completely healthy. But who knows, I'm sure they know a little better then I do.

I'm no doctor, but from what I've read is that even though they're fixing the Labrum, the underlying condition (The cyst) is still there. Even the doctor performing the procedure said that this would only make it about an 85-90% chance that he is able to play through the season. Considering this is going to make him miss part of the regular season anyways, I would say just get the procedure over with so you can come back completely healthy. But who knows, I'm sure they know a little better then I do.

The cyst got drained last week. The cyst is a symptom of the torn labrum, therefore after they repair the labrum, a new one shouldn't form.

He said to his teammates, this will be the best season of their lives.

Was he lying again, or did he mean since he won't be their half the year......

All I know is he better come back around or shortly after the all star break, and PROVE HIS WORTH!!!

Pay attention, he should be back 3-4 weeks into the season.

Pay attention, he should be back 3-4 weeks into the season.
Yeah I see that, so he is getting a less invasive procedure than initially considered. He will then require further surgery after the season.

Never the less, after circus part 6, HE NEEDS TO SHOW HIS WORTH!!!

It's probably a good thing that he is getting something done now, I hope he can play through the season without this becoming another nagging thing though.

I have the solution

Big Teix at 3rd

Swish at 1st

Nady in RF

When it looked like A-Rod may be gone for 4-6 months then well.. I would of thought about moving Teixeria to 3rd and Swisher to 1st, but being that he's only going to be gone a few weeks, than there really isn't any point. We need Teixeira to hit, lets not put the extra burden on him.

We really don't have any blue chip 3rd base prospects, besides Brad Suttle, but he's nowhere near ready. I believe he was in A ball last year.

For a month or so maybe they give Berroa a shot. Rolen is available but big contract and no trade clause. Besides, he becomes useless if ARod is healthy after he comes back. I am sure a stop gap 3B will probably become available by the end of spring training. Tough break but at least it's not 4-6 months.

F noooooooooooooo not Berroa. I like the idea of Teix getting some PT at 3rd.

Teix, Swish, Nady isn't bad

I don't think Tex has played 3B since his rookie year, 2003...dozen games or so with errors in 1/2 of them. There will be 3rd baseman camp cuts around MLB that the Yanks can look to mix in with Ransom, Berroa.

Archived