SERBY'S SUNDAY Q & A WITH... BART SCOTT

SoFlaJets

(Kentucky Jet sent me this this morning)

The Post's Steve Serby chatted with the Jets' new 'Mad backer' about being a violent player, a loving father, and much more.

Q: Can you see fear in guys' eyes?

A: Of course. We used to call it The Raven Flu. I think here we're gonna call it Jet Lag. It's not the first time that you play 'em - yeah, they'll start tippin' and things like that, but it's the second time you play 'em, and you look on the injury report, and they got a . . . hangnail . . . and they say, 'I don't think I can go, this hangnail, I think it's gonna get infected.' It's when guys remember what happened previously, and they know it's not worth it.

Q: If Jet fans were standing on the sidelines, describe what they would see in terms of violence.

A: Well, they're gonna see relentless pursuit, and they're gonna see if a guy's not gonna fall on the first hit, he's gonna continue to get hit until he does fall. What intimidates people is the film that you put out there. They need to be able to look on the film and say, 'Whoa, look at those Jets run! Wow! We gotta put up with this?' And then you don't disappoint 'em when it's game time.

Q: Describe the collisions.

A: Oh, the collisions are beautiful, man. It's car wrecks. And it's about our wills, man, and joints are shifted, bones are broke, bones are sprained, ligaments are hurt, and I think it's the most beautiful thing in the world. It's music to me. . . . It's an art. And I think we're entertainers, and everybody loves the blood-and-guts movies.

Q: Describe the transformation when you put on the uniform.

A: It's like putting on armor and going to battle. I can't help it. It's a pure hatred for the person across the field, because I feel like they're trying to take something that I worked for, but better yet, something that my teammates have worked for. Sometimes it's tough, because I say things and I do things that I have to apologize for. Chester Taylor, I apologized to him, I did some things to him . . .

Q: What'd you do to him?

A: I threw him on his neck when I didn't have to. . . . I could have let him down a little softer than I did, but I put the cherry on top.

Q: You could have helmeted Ben Roethlisberger in the sternum, but didn't.

A: It's a big difference from being violent and really hitting somebody, it's another thing to be dirty. At the end of the day, you want people to go home to their family and realize that you want them to be able to earn a living.

Q: You hate everybody in the other jersey. Do you especially hate quarterbacks?

A: Exactly, because those are the guys pulling the trigger. As quick as you can get the quarterback out of there, your chances of winning go up immediately, because the other guy back there really didn't get the reps in practice. And who knows? He could be a (bum).

Q: Rex Ryan?

A: He's like the loveable teddy bear, man. A lot of times coaches have a confrontational type of personality. He'll make you feel warm and welcome, and that doesn't matter if you're the No. 1 guy on the list or if you're the backup quarterback or the third-string quarterback or not.

Q: Meeting Obama in the White House within four years?

A: You should always set your goals high, and why not? When I got in the league (2002), I never would have thought that the Arizona Cardinals would have made a Super Bowl before me. If that don't tell you anything's possible, I don't know what does.

Q: The Jets haven't won a Super Bowl in 40 years.

A: I haven't seen the Cardinals in the playoffs since . . . since 'The Simpsons' first came out.

Q: So what would you tell Jet fans?

A: It's sooner than you think.

Q: Your thoughts when you heard Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg?

A: I thought that was punishment enough, man. But we are role models and we have to be able to lead by example, and we have a greater sense of responsibility than someone who's not afforded all the opportunities that we are.

Q: Your family owned seven houses on Hurlbut Street in Detroit?

A: A lot of ghetto games, taking bottle tops and playing tops, and two square-four square, dodgeball, stuff like that, and chasing each other around . . . a lot of fond memories.

Q: Worst thing you saw?

A: I lost my cousin. Had to be eighth grade, so it had to be like '92, on New Year's Day. We never really knew what happened. We don't know if he was playing with a gun or if it was a suicide attempt or something, but guys were hanging out, and he was 19, kinda the heart of the family, and he passed away. That's why I don't do a lot on New Year's Day.

And another of my cousins was a victim of a senseless act of violence. (He was) sitting at a bar, some guys got thrown out and came back and shot the club up. He's paralyzed now and that's why I started my charity, and it benefits paraplegics and quadriplegics - A Son Never Forgets. So something bad gave birth to something good.

Q: The bullies?

A: A lot of times I had to fight my way to school; I had to walk through a couple of gang territories. . . . Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Q: So you showed up at school all bloody?

A: Oh no, no . . . I won.

Q: You were a Bad Boys Pistons fan. Did you like Isiah Thomas' game?

A: How could you not? I think he's the best little man ever to play the game.

Q: Your son Bartholomew will be 4 next month.

A: He's a fighter, man. He was premature, actually. It's not coincidental that when he came, I had the best year of my career to date. I want him to be proud of me. He's a very loveable kid, very energetic, and he loves the ladies, man.

Q: Your daughter Jisele is 14 months.

A: She is a terror. She runs the house.

Q: Do you change diapers?

A: Oh yeah, I'm good at that. I had three nieces. . . . I was a machine.

Q: Three dinner guests?

A: Hulk Hogan, Oprah, Claire Huxtable.

Q: Favorite actor?

A: Denzel.

Q: Favorite actress?

A: Julia Roberts.

Q: Favorite singer?

A: I'm an old Temptations guy.

Q: Favorite meal?

A: Reuben sandwich.

Man, if this guy can play half as good as he interviews than I cannot wait to see him in green and white. Plus, the man knows how to eat...a reuben sandwich? one of the best things ever created!

Also, he is one of the most articulate and well spoken athletes that I've seen interview in a while. It's a shame, but it's almost a shock when you see a player who knows how to interview and not sound like an idiot.

Man, if this guy can play half as good as he interviews than I cannot wait to see him in green and white. Plus, the man knows how to eat...a reuben sandwich? one of the best things ever created!

Also, he is one of the most articulate and well spoken athletes that I've seen interview in a while. It's a shame, but it's almost a shock when you see a player who knows how to interview and not sound like an idiot.

Agreed.

There is an interview on the NYJ homepage w/ Rich Eisen and it proves everything you are saying.

Seem likes a sharp guy.

(Kentucky Jet sent me this this morning)

The Post's Steve Serby chatted with the Jets' new 'Mad backer' about being a violent player, a loving father, and much more.

Q: Can you see fear in guys' eyes?

A: You mean like when Richard Todd tried to choke you and shoved you into a locker?

Q: Um, what...?

A: Right.

:)

I am officially in love with Bart Scott

: Of course. We used to call it The Raven Flu. I think here we're gonna call it Jet Lag.

How can you not love this guy, he's chock full o' personality

Archived