The Official WBC thread

talisaynon

I just can't get into the WBC. Last night I flipped between the Yankee game and the college basketball games. I am much more interested in Butler/Cleveland St. and Oakland/North Dakota St. than the WBC.

If they want a real competition to decide which country has the best baseball, ala the World Cup, they should do it after the season is finished. Then you could let the pitchers pitch without little league pitch counts and have the best players play without fear that they are going to lose their season because of injury.

I just can't get into the WBC. Last night I flipped between the Yankee game and the college basketball games. I am much more interested in Butler/Cleveland St. and Oakland/North Dakota St. than the WBC.

If they want a real competition to decide which country has the best baseball, ala the World Cup, they should do it after the season is finished. Then you could let the pitchers pitch without little league pitch counts and have the best players play without fear that they are going to lose their season because of injury.

yea having this tourney so close to the start of the season is stupid as hell... i agree

There's really no good solution to it. I'd opt it to be playing the same time as the World Series and schedule it so the WBC doesn't interfere with the WS.

The only solution: dont have it.

It means nothing. Sure the Dominicans are embarrassed, but at the end of the season, ask baseball fans who the DR lost to in the WBC and most wont have any clue.

I had no idea the US lost the last time they played this tourney.

If fans like it (through attendance and tv ratings), they will continue to have it.

I for one love the tournament. It's nice seeing the players play games that actually mean something, even if it's nothing more then pride. The ridiculous pitch counts are a little disappointing, but certainly understandable with the money invested in these players, and logistically, I really don't see a much better way to pull it off. Players will cite fatigue after the season, nevermind it would interfere with many of the Winter Leagues in other countries then.

The one idea I thought of that might be a little bit better is if they removed the All-Star Break that year, and substituted the WBC in it's place mid-season. Of course, they would have to find a way to shorten the WBC then so they're not taking weeks off in the middle of the year. Maybe just have a 16 team single elimination tournament in it's place.

Couple things:

1) Team USA should be ashamed of themselves. We've got the biggest names in the game and we can't hold our sh*t together.

2) I like the WBC.

3) Yes, the event is at a bad time, but after playing 162-182 games, I'm not sure many players will be feeling at their best to play a few more. MAYBE they could do something during the winter ball season, but that would negate most US sites from hosting events (or require play within domes, which suck for baseball purposes).

4) The pitch counts are retarded, but the MLB clubs won't approve the event without them.

The biggest problem is that too many people are treating this like an alternate spring training. Why was Peavy allowed to struggle tonight? Because "he needed to get his work in"!!! Go throw in the bullpen! This is a competitive game. Team USA needs a new manager.

Couple things:

1) Team USA should be ashamed of themselves. We've got the biggest names in the game and we can't hold our sh*t together.

2) I like the WBC.

3) Yes, the event is at a bad time, but after playing 162-182 games, I'm not sure many players will be feeling at their best to play a few more. MAYBE they could do something during the winter ball season, but that would negate most US sites from hosting events (or require play within domes, which suck for baseball purposes).

4) The pitch counts are retarded, but the MLB clubs won't approve the event without them.

The biggest problem is that too many people are treating this like an alternate spring training. Why was Peavy allowed to struggle tonight? Because "he needed to get his work in"!!! Go throw in the bullpen! This is a competitive game. Team USA needs a new manager.

Don't mess with Davey.

I agree Peavy shouldn't have been allowed to struggle out there for so long, but is there any doubt that Davey was being undermined by the MLB teams? If Peavy sucks, you should be able to tell him to throw his next 50 pitches in the bullpen instead of in the game.

Ok, I officially hate the Four-pool-to-Two-pool set up with seeding games and all kinds of second-chances.

There shouldn't have been seeding games in the first pool, and the second round shouldn't be a "pool" at all. They draw this out too much. 1 round of Pool play and then single-elimination. That's how they should do it.

Yeah, that was an amazing game that really got taken over by the Mets on both sides. Wright had the walk-off and the nice play at the plate early on, Beltran robbed a Home Run, Delgado hit a Home Run, Putz looked completely filthy, that game got me pumped up for this season :)

Amazing range by Jeter tonight.

Seriously. I can understand why the Yankees sacrifice to keep him there as SS for non-baseball reasons (ego, etc.), but why the US team would bother, I don't know. Luckily it didn't matter.

Archived