Elam to Browns unless Jets match offer..

Steveg

Browns | Sign A. Elam to offer sheet

Wed, 11 Mar 2009 06:08:07 -0700

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have signed restricted free-agent SS Abram Elam (Jets) to a one-year offer sheet worth $1.5 million. The New York Jets have seven days to match the offer or will lose Elam without draft-choice compensation. It is believed the Browns made the offer fully guaranteed to discourage the Jets from matching.

I think we need to match.

Agreed. He's at least the team's #3 safety. And as happy as I am to have Leonhard aboard, I'm not entirely confident in him as a starter, or in his ability to stay healthy for an entire season.

It's a modest contract. Unless they have someone else lined up, matching seems wise.

I don't think we'll match.

If we do match, then an explanation is needed as to why he was given the low ($1.01M) tender instead of the 2nd round tender (which pays $1.545M but rewards us with a 2nd round pick if someone else signs him & we don't match it).

Well, they still save $45K. ;)

No one was going to give a second round pick for him. This way they let the market set the price, and the price was just under the level of that tender. No big deal.

Well, they still save $45K. ;)

No one was going to give a second round pick for him. This way they let the market set the price, and the price was just under the level of that tender. No big deal.

We don't have to demand a 2nd round pick. We can take less; we just can't force them to pay more.

If we were willing to pay $1.5M, why not guarantee he's here & not screw around with it over a couple of dollars that don't matter cap-wise.

If we match, it's a real head-scratcher.

We don't have to demand a 2nd round pick. We can take less; we just can't force them to pay more.

If we were willing to pay $1.5M, why not guarantee he's here & not screw around with it over a couple of dollars that don't matter cap-wise.

Not to say this is a good reason, but its very possible the Jets thought there would be no real interest in Elam and that they'd be able to keep him on the cheap without much question. That said, I agree with your initial points and I wouldn't be particularly shocked to see the Jets not match this offer.

Yon confused me Sperm. We won't get a pick for Elam, because he went undrafted.

No?

I hear you, and would probably agree if the contract he signed was for more than the second round tender. But it's not. I think it's pretty safe to assume that no one was going to step up and offer even a 7th rounder for the right to pay him more than $1.545M, right?

The tendered him at the level that allows them to match. No harm -or embarrassment- in exercizing that right.

Yon confused me Sperm. We won't get a pick for Elam, because he went undrafted.

No?

For $1.01M we don't get a pick in return because he wasn't drafted out of college. If he was a first round pick, then we'd get a 1st round pick in return if someone offered him a contract. Elam was not drafted, so the low tender gets us nothing in return.

For $1.545M we get a 2nd round pick in return. In Elam's case, that means we get Elam because no one's trading anything for him.

For $1.01M we don't get a pick in return because he wasn't drafted out of college. If he was a first round pick, then we'd get a 1st round pick in return if someone offered him a contract. Elam was not drafted, so the low tender gets us nothing in return.

For $1.545M we get a 2nd round pick in return. In Elam's case, that means we get Elam because no one's trading anything for him.

So we can offer him the $1.545M now? Because if we're going to lose him, I rather get SOMETHING in return.

This Elam thing is a mystery to me. Like most people here, I thought he made some great plays last season. In fact, I think he is a good player, certainly a hard hitter, good blitzer and otherwise solid in run support. However, he never did clearly beat Eric Smith out for the SS job and it seems like Rhodes is being given a pass for his seemingly mediocre play (at times) because he wasnt paired with a Safety 'he could trust.' So, I'm not terribly surprised that Elam is getting a decent offer from another team, but I am surprised its coming from Mangini, the guy who has Elam splitting time with Eric Smith.

I am curious to see if Elam develops into a good player, though I don't see how this will happen under Mangini, the guy who was always alternating space in his doghouse for one or the other of Elam and Smith.

I'm not understanding where you're coming from. Let's say the Jets gave a 2nd round tender and Cleveland made the same offer, if the Jets match they would not get a draft pick from the Browns. So tendering him at a higher amount would not matter.

I think they tendered him low because they really didn't want to re-sign him, but it was prudent just to give him a tender. As you know, if a team makes a tender they have to pay that. If the Jets made a 2nd rd/$1.54m tender, then the Jets would have had to pay Elam that if he didn't get an offer elsewhere.

And to add, this is not a big deal for Elam so the Jets could match if they wanted. RFAs are usually offered multi-year deals by other teams in the hopes the original team won't match.

If Cleveland really wanted Elam, they could have offered him a 3 year deal which the Jets surely would not match.

If we do match, then an explanation is needed as to why he was given the low ($1.01M) tender instead of the 2nd round tender (which pays $1.545M but rewards us with a 2nd round pick if someone else signs him & we don't match it).

We'll have saved $45000 by not giving him that tender, so why would they need to explain?

At 1.5M, matching is a no brainer.

We'll have saved $45000 by not giving him that tender, so why would they need to explain?

At 1.5M, matching is a no brainer.

That's what I'm thinking too, Doggin.

If the Jets tendered him at $1.545, they'd have to pay him that if he didn't get an offer elsewhere.

I think they'll match. The Jets tried to pinch pennies a little when they didn't give him the 2nd round tender in the first place (Which nobody would have even brought him in for a visit if he had a 2nd round tag on him, lets be real, there was no potential draft pick to gain for losing Abram Elam.), but considering we still seem to be in a pretty good cap position and could use Elam and it's not a hard contract to match, I believe we'll do so now. There's no explanation necessary in my eyes.

No need to even tender him a contract if you absolutely do not like the guy. My guess is they like Elam, but not as a starter.

Yes there is... you control where he goes... say they did not want NE or someone else to get him... they control that now...

didn't this happen with coles ?

good point

they won't match

dang it, add S to the draft wish list

I think we will match his offer from the Browns. We're not talking BIG money here and we have the cap room.

then why not go with the higher tender to get the pick, which basically guarantees we keep him ? nobody makes the offer if they have to give up a 2nd

I think because the jets are willing to let him go basically

I hope I'm wrong, we need the depth imo

then why not go with the higher tender to get the pick, which basically guarantees we keep him ? nobody makes the offer if they have to give up a 2nd

I think because the jets are willing to let him go basically

I hope I'm wrong, we need the depth imo

because maybe you do the player a favor to try to get more money...

Also, maybe you want someone to sign him to a deal, then you TRADE with them. For instance, tell the Browns you are matching unless you want to trade us a 6th rounder...

because maybe you do the player a favor to try to get more money...

Also, maybe you want someone to sign him to a deal, then you TRADE with them. For instance, tell the Browns you are matching unless you want to trade us a 6th rounder...

Or to keep him from going to a division rival.

I always love your approach! You just get to the meat of a situation (no homo)

If we lose Abram Elam we can forget all chances to make the postseason and have a shot at a championship in 2009. He is the glue that holds this team together.

SPOT STARTING SAFETIES, FTW!!!

He adds quality depth and excellent special teams play..He's a big loss if he goes..I'ts not easy finding quality role players..Mangini knows this and the guy has the heart of a lion and will spread the word of Mangini in the locker room through words and deeds..This is a loss of the Jets..no doubt.

I'm not understanding where you're coming from. Let's say the Jets gave a 2nd round tender and Cleveland made the same offer, if the Jets match they would not get a draft pick from the Browns. So tendering him at a higher amount would not matter.

I think they tendered him low because they really didn't want to re-sign him, but it was prudent just to give him a tender. As you know, if a team makes a tender they have to pay that. If the Jets made a 2nd rd/$1.54m tender, then the Jets would have had to pay Elam that if he didn't get an offer elsewhere.

Cleveland would not make a $1.5M offer if the Jets tendered him at $1.545M any more than they would have made a $700K offer after we tendered him at $1.01M.

I didn't say that tendering him at $1M instead of $1.5M makes no sense. A team can decide, "OK Elam is worth $1.0M but not $1.55M for one season." Whether anyone agrees or disagrees in his case, all teams make decisions like this on all free agents.

I'm saying that if we match Cleveland's offer now it makes no sense. Or not much sense. The "upside" is hoping that no one will make Elam an offer and we get him for $500K less for this year. But you had to know that he was liked by higher-up's at two different AFC teams: the Browns (Mangini) and the Dolphins (Parcells).

If Mangini was still here and they did this, then it would make at least a little more sense. But Mangini was starting him last year, his secondary in Cleveland blows, and all new coaches like to bring in players who are familiar with him. Elam, therefore, was a prime target to be taken by Cleveland. And I'm ok with that...if we let him go. If we match, then I think we left money on the table: Cleveland can show interest & negotiate with Elam's agent, then we tell them they won't have to give up a 2nd rounder; we'll take a 5th or a 6th. Mangini's the only one who would give that up (if even he would), and it would be solely due to his familiarity with the player.

Archived