Alabama OT Andre Smith Pro-Day "worst workout ever"

AFJF

From Yahoo!

We haven't lived in the Kiper era of endless NFL draft information for very long, but in that time, I can't recall anyone's draft stock falling quite like Andre Smith's. Picture Wilford Brimley's frail and helpless body tumbling end-over-end off a cliff, picking up speed as it goes (Note: Do not picture this if you are Wilford Brimley, or someone who knows him). That's about what we're looking at here.

He (Smith, not Brimley) was once considered a possible number one overall pick, and now, he might not even be a second-day pick. If Andre Smith was the stock market, he'd be ... well, he'd be a lot like the stock market is right now.

It all started at the combine, when Smith basically did everything the exact opposite of how it should have been done, and then left in the middle of it without telling anyone where he was going. But it was thought that Smith would have a chance to redeem himself, at least partially, at his Pro Day earlier this afternoon.

So how'd that go for him? Here's a snippet from TFYDraft.com:

The situation has gone from bad to worse for Andre Smith. His bench press results were a pitiful 19-reps. His position work was also very mediocre. One scout has told us is it the "worst workout he ever saw" and a number of scouts are cranky that they made the long trip to Alabama to watch the pitiful workout. A second scout has told us "Smith lost millions of dollars".

And from NFL.com:

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

And PFT quotes a league source as saying that Smith "bombed."

The way things are going, teams will be drafting equipment managers before they draft Andre Smith. Most decent stadium hot dog vendors are more highly sought-after. Dan Leone will be drafted before Andre Smith.

It hurts to even think about this guy. Put yourself in his shoes. A month ago, he was on track to become a household name, had won just about every major award for which he was eligible, and was set to become one of the wealthiest people on the planet ... and now he's a guy without a college degree (he left Alabama after his junior season) who might not even have a future in the game.

I feel like giving him a hug, but I'm afraid I'd knock him down and scouts would send him even farther down scouts' lists.

Come on, Andre. Get it together, baby. Nothing's over, nothing's decided. You can still be the stud you were intended to be

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he will be

He also won't be selected until the second round and no team is ever going to give him big $ because he has proved he cannot handle the pressure of being looked at as a top tier player.

He's going to end up in a place like Pittsburgh or New England where they are going to take **** from anyone so maybe that will do him some good.

I doubt he's a Pro Bowler though. Weighed in at 325, which is good, but he was all fat & rolls.

How INSANE would you have to be to not be in your best shape ever for these opportunities? You are basically "made", all you need to do if you're him is have a decent combine,decent pro day and you're set - you're a mega multimillionaire.

My idea of a brutal workout is a walk down the block to get a pastrami on rye. But you give me that opportunity I guarantee you I can be a BEAST within three months tops.

How INSANE would you have to be to not be in your best shape ever for these opportunities? You are basically "made", all you need to do if you're him is have a decent combine,decent pro day and you're set - you're a mega multimillionaire.

My idea of a brutal workout is a walk down the block to get a pastrami on rye. But you give me that opportunity I guarantee you I can be a BEAST within three months tops.

OMG he is a 325 pd LT who ran a 5.25 forty, that should not alarm any scout.

Out of High School he was the #1 consensus pick, he started as a true Frosh

and was dominant, i would hope scouts look at game tape.

Poor agent choice cost him coin, whover gets him will get a starting tackle

right away

i know......most likely this kids been playing his whole life to get to this point and get this incredible opportunity to be a high 1st round draft pick and make millions of dollars....and he blows it all within months. how fu*king stupid can you be? there's got to be something wrong with him.

i know......most likely this kids been playing his whole life to get to this point and get this incredible opportunity to be a high 1st round draft pick and make millions of dollars....and he blows it all within months. how fu*king stupid can you be? there's got to be something wrong with him.

I think there is something mentally wrong with him. Even if he conscously sabotaged himself, that in and of its self is a sign that there is something wrong.

OMG he is a 325 pd LT who ran a 5.25 forty, that should not alarm any scout.

Out of High School he was the #1 consensus pick, he started as a true Frosh

and was dominant, i would hope scouts look at game tape.

Poor agent choice cost him coin, whover gets him will get a starting tackle

right away

Come on dude, how many players have you seen dominate in college and flop in the NFL? Another offensive lineman that comes to mind is Toniu Fonoti from Nebraska. Incredible physical talent. He crushed the record for most pancake blocks as a sophomore. Looked like a can't miss pick. He was picked in the 2nd. round by San Diego and was an absolute flop. He bounced around to at least three other teams and for all I know has now eaten himself out of the league.

Come on dude, how many players have you seen dominate in college and flop in the NFL? Another offensive lineman that comes to mind is Toniu Fonoti from Nebraska. Incredible physical talent. He crushed the record for most pancake blocks as a sophomore. Looked like a can't miss pick. He was picked in the 2nd. round by San Diego and was an absolute flop. He bounced around to at least three other teams and for all I know has now eaten himself out of the league.

Nebraska????????

Roids baby:D

Yes I can

I have seen 90% of his games...he is a stud

some team is going to get a bargain

I know this is counterintuitive but there is more to football than on the field stuff. On the field is most important, but you have a guy here who got suspended before the bowl game, left the combine without notice and just bombed his pro day. It's about investment for teams and who wants to draft Andre Smith high when he's clearly a volatile and highly risky investment.

I don't get it. College football season ended less than 5 months ago, and by all accounts he was playing at a high level then. What did he do to get that out of shape? Eat fried butter all day? It's mind boggling to think about. Didn't he leave the combine to get ready for his pro day? What has he been doing?

Wasn't this guy considered to be the best lineman on the best oline in college football??

Why is it that I never heard of Jason Smith until now?? Reminds me of another 1st overall pick David Carr...

I just don't get how someone can go from being a franchise LT to a fat slob in the span of three months.

I know he was suspended for the sugar bowl, but its not like it was for drugs or anything... Reggie Bush did the same thing...

there can only be 2 explanations,, he was a roid freak who had to get off of them for drug testing at combine..or severe depresion has set in and he has lost all drive..you dont lose strength and stamina iunless a underneath reason..

drug testing at college level is kind of joke and easy to beat,,ask my college athlete son about what he saw..

can this kid get his act together again,,sure, why not,,but he looks like a possible mandrich right now..

Wasn't this guy considered to be the best lineman on the best oline in college football??

I just don't get how someone can go from being a franchise LT to a fat slob in the span of three months.

I know he was suspended for the sugar bowl, but its not like it was for drugs or anything... Reggie Bush did the same thing...

He was suspended from ALABAMA because of his dealing with an agent. I think that's the root of his problems.... he picked the wrong agent.

Archived