Switching Dustin Keller to WR?

JetsFootball56

no I think he's great at TE and should leave him there, everyone seems to think were so bad at WR but this is the moment we've been waiting for. Clowney to get his shot. I think he can be great. cotch, clowney, and stuckey will be a fine at WR. good and young to grow with brett ratliff I hope. then with keller at TE that looks really good to me.

I think it's a good idea.. Jets should draft a real TE like Chase Coffman in the 2nd round, and make Keller our version of Wes Welker..

The guy is fast and strong.. He could be like David Boston before the roids' took their toll.

Can he run routes???

So many things wrong with this post....

So many things wrong with this post....

Like the Welker comparison?

Welker: 5' 9" - 185 pounds. Plays in the slot and averages over 100 receptions. Lead the NFL in yards after catch last year.

Keller: 6' 2" - 248 pounds. Is a tight end with good speed and hands. Should stay at TE.

Apart from that the post was spot on.

Welker: 5' 9" - 185 pounds. Plays in the slot and averages over 100 receptions. Lead the NFL in yards after catch last year.

Keller: 6' 2" - 248 pounds. Is a tight end with good speed and hands. Should stay at TE.

When you put it like that.... maybe the Pats should move Welker to tight end!

make Keller our version of Wes Welker..

?????

no I think he's great at TE and should leave him there, everyone seems to think were so bad at WR but this is the moment we've been waiting for. Clowney to get his shot. I think he can be great. cotch, clowney, and stuckey will be a fine at WR.

6'0, 6'0, 6'0. That is relatively short. and two of the three are completely unproven. Very risky.

Also drafting another TE in the 2nd round..

Where is the creativity? The kid is a flop at TE... He just can't block...

He would be a GREAT slot receiver and has the athleticism to do to so. Could you imagine a CB lining up against him?????

Think outside the bun people..

He is not fast enough... period.

Know what's funny? If you Google Image the phrase "horrible idea," 2 of the top 5 images that come up are Brittany Spears and The Capitol. Mind the effed up looking Superman too...and NPH.

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=horrible%20idea&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Stop being so harsh. Honestly, I think moving Keller is a good idea that just doesn't go far enough. We've had a glaring hole at S next to Rhodes for a while. Yeah, we signed Leonard - but he's not the answer. Plus, he seems like a versatile guy who's tough enough to block. Shift Keller to S, Leonard to TE, and you solve two major holes with one move.

Their size is the only thing that is different about them, their speed and agility is extremely comparable. Keller, while being much larger, actually dominates welker in almost every category.

You're wrong....period.

How can you make these blanket statements, when they are so definitely wrong?? How do you figure he's so slow? He plays very fast, very quick and is very physical.

As far as measurables here is how he measures up with Wes Welker;

Welker: 5'9" 195 lbs, 30" vert, 9'5" broad jump, 4.65 40, 4.01 20 yard shuttle, 7.09 3-cone.

Keller: 6'2" 242 lbs, 41" vert (38" at the combine), 10'11" broad jump (crazy explosion), 4.53 40, 4.14 20 yard shuttle, 6.88 3-cone.

I took the liberty of putting in bold the best performance.

Are we really comparing a second year "okay" TE to Wes Freakin' Welker? Really? What next? A Brett Ratliff vs. Tom Brady debate?

God damn i hate this type of argument. A comparison is a tool that allows people to contrast the physical attributes of two, sometimes extremely different in personal achievements, separate athletes.

No one, atleast not myself, has said that Keller is better or will be better than Welker. However, what was said, was that Keller has far greater physical attributes, which could potentially lead to him succeeding in the same way that Keller did.

What is so wrong with this? It's like all those damn GOAT homers that won't let anyone compare any player to their favorite legend. It's not saying that the player being compared to the more succesfull player, in this case Keller to Welker, will be better than him, but just that he has the same physical attributes that give him the tools to do so.

God damn i hate this type of argument. A comparison is a tool that allows people to contrast the physical attributes of two, sometimes extremely different in personal achievements, separate athletes.

No one, atleast not myself, has said that Keller is better or will be better than Welker. However, what was said, was that Keller has far greater physical attributes, which could potentially lead to him succeeding in the same way that Keller did.

What is so wrong with this? It's like all those damn GOAT homers that won't let anyone compare any player to their favorite legend. It's not saying that the player being compared to the more succesfull player, in this case Keller to Welker, will be better than him, but just that he has the same physical attributes that give him the tools to do so.

First off, point out the last successfull TE to WR conversion. It just doesn't work. Hell, if it were so easy, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez wouldn't be playing TE right now.

First off, point out the last successfull TE to WR conversion. It just doesn't work. Hell, if it were so easy, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez wouldn't be playing TE right now.

Such a copout. You weren't complaining about the validity of Keller making the switch to WR, you were just annoyed that he was being compared to your Wes Welker. I, and most on here besides the OP and another, have never really stated that it would be a good switch. However, his tremendous physical attributes make it possible. As of now and last year, he was more or less a WR; he was extremely suspect in passpro and run blocking, but he showed tremendous big play ability.

I couldn't tell you when it happened last, but that doesn't take away from the point the OP made that he has good speed, which isn't as important as agility when it comes to slot receivers, which Keller has in spades as well. If we were to simply compare, which i did, the physical measurables of Keller to Welker and other slot receivers, Keller stands up extremely well and surpasses many in a handful of categories.

I don't know the numbers on Gonzo, but i would be willing to bet good money that his 3-cone drill wasn't sub 7 seconds or his shuttle wasn't sub 4.2

As far as gates, he does split off wide or in the slot quite often, which creates huge mistmactches.

Now, I don't think it's a good move to switch him to a permenant slot receiver. However, he I do think he has the ability to line up in the slot as well as split out wide, which gives the defenses different looks. His versatility is his best weapon. I would think it would behoove him to learn how to block better so that we can run multiple TE looks and the opposing teams won't know what he's doing. As of now, he is strictly a pass-catching threat, becuase he can't block, which takes a lot of guessing out of the game.

..but Nicks is?

Their size is the only thing that is different about them, their speed and agility is extremely comparable. Keller, while being much larger, actually dominates welker in almost every category.

You're wrong....period.

How can you make these blanket statements, when they are so definitely wrong?? How do you figure he's so slow? He plays very fast, very quick and is very physical.

As far as measurables here is how he measures up with Wes Welker;

Welker: 5'9" 195 lbs, 30" vert, 9'5" broad jump, 4.65 40, 4.01 20 yard shuttle, 7.09 3-cone.

Keller: 6'2" 242 lbs, 41" vert (38" at the combine), 10'11" broad jump (crazy explosion), 4.53 40, 4.14 20 yard shuttle, 6.88 3-cone.

I took the liberty of putting in bold the best performance.

This is why on not sold on Nicks. He has big hands, but physically he's not going to cause any more matchup problems than Keller. Nicks probably has less bust potential than the others, but he has less boom too. I guess you take the one you think will succeed, but I'm not in love with him like many others.

I think you're right that it doesn't happen, but that's not because it can't be succesful. It's because you are taking away a player's versatility. It's like taking a power hitting second baseman and moving him to first because your first baseman blows. It's easier to find another homerun hitter at WR than TE. Also the simple fact is that guys like Gates did just fine at covering for their team's crappy WRs from the TE spot. Hell the Pats even did it with superstars like Dan Graham before they went on this last spending spree.

Are we really comparing a second year "okay" TE to Wes Freakin' Welker? Really? What next? A Brett Ratliff vs. Tom Brady debate?

Yes! His Royal Holiness Wes Welker! How dare anybody compare another player to this great diety.

It's because you are taking away a player's versatility. It's like taking a power hitting second baseman and moving him to first because your first baseman blows. It's easier to find another homerun hitter at WR than TE.

End of thread. Done, finished, over.

Look at what the Phillies have in Chase Utley. They have a 2B who is going to bat over .300 and hit more than 35 HRs with more than 100 RBI every single season for the next 10 years. How many other teams in Major League Baseball have anything remotely that productive from the 2B position? The answer is zero (but there is about 5 that are somewhat close).

With that being said, lets act like the Phillies did not have Ryan Howard playing 1B. Lets say they had an average-to-good player like Conner Jackson at 1B. If they wanted to upgrade their 1B position, do you ever think they'd dream of moving Utley from 2B to 1B? At 2B he is the ONLY 2B who is going to bat over .300 and hit over 30 HRs. If he were a 1B, he'd be one of about 10+ guys with those type of numbers. You're robbing yourself of an advantage that other teams WISH they had.

What is easier to find? A 2B who can hit like that or a 1B who can hit like that? Same thing with Keller. The guy is a major threat in the passing game. Probably one of the top 12 threats in the NFL in the passing game from the TE position. You don't give up a novelty like that to try and fill a need at WR when it is MUCH easier to just find a WR who is a threat in the passing game vs. finding another TE who is.

Stupid on so many levels.

I think it's a good idea.. Jets should draft a real TE like Chase Coffman in the 2nd round, and make Keller our version of Wes Welker..

The guy is fast and strong.. He could be like David Boston before the roids' took their toll.

Can he run routes???

I think he should be EXactly what he is, a recieving TE, a Gonzalez,Gates,Winslow,Shockey......that's what he is. We have and I'm sure will acquire a nice run Blocker, but he's right where he needs to be, he's a TE.

We are getting a first round reciever, and don't be surprised at a Marvin harrison pick up, I'm just saying, ART MONK>

Where is the creativity? The kid is a flop at TE... He just can't block...

He would be a GREAT slot receiver and has the athleticism to do to so. Could you imagine a CB lining up against him?????

Think outside the bun people..

yeah i could. the cb will be so much quicker that he'll never get seperation. you want him up against a linebacker.....that's where you get the mismatch.

Dustin Keller is going to play a lot like Dallas Clark and that means he is going to be in the slot. He will play some on the line but more often than I see Keller in the slot, stretching the defense and taking advantage of his raw talent, size and speed.

End of thread. Done, finished, over.

Look at what the Phillies have in Chase Utley. They have a 2B who is going to bat over .300 and hit more than 35 HRs with more than 100 RBI every single season for the next 10 years. How many other teams in Major League Baseball have anything remotely that productive from the 2B position? The answer is zero (but there is about 5 that are somewhat close).

With that being said, lets act like the Phillies did not have Ryan Howard playing 1B. Lets say they had an average-to-good player like Conner Jackson at 1B. If they wanted to upgrade their 1B position, do you ever think they'd dream of moving Utley from 2B to 1B? At 2B he is the ONLY 2B who is going to bat over .300 and hit over 30 HRs. If he were a 1B, he'd be one of about 10+ guys with those type of numbers. You're robbing yourself of an advantage that other teams WISH they had.

What is easier to find? A 2B who can hit like that or a 1B who can hit like that? Same thing with Keller. The guy is a major threat in the passing game. Probably one of the top 12 threats in the NFL in the passing game from the TE position. You don't give up a novelty like that to try and fill a need at WR when it is MUCH easier to just find a WR who is a threat in the passing game vs. finding another TE who is.

Stupid on so many levels.

Yep, pretty much.

It was similar to the talk of moving Cano to 3rd if the Yanks didn't re-sign ARod. Such moves hurt the team.

Why do people think Shannon Sharpe was never moved to WR although he was a horrible blocker? Because he was a rare player at TE.

As far as gates, he does split off wide or in the slot quite often, which creates huge mistmactches.

What makes that work is the fact that Gates is a TE. He's a TE in the huddle, then lines up wide and the defense has to adjust to cover him. Good plan. I hope the Jets do that with Keller.

But converting him to WR would have the opposite effect. Keller gets his mismatches by being a TE, and having LB's and safeties covering him. Line him up wide with a CB on him every down, and the advantage goes to the defense.

In conclusion, this is a stupid idea.

What makes that work is the fact that Gates is a TE. He's a TE in the huddle, then lines up wide and the defense has to adjust to cover him. Good plan. I hope the Jets do that with Keller.

But converting him to WR would have the opposite effect. Keller gets his mismatches by being a TE, and having LB's and safeties covering him. Line him up wide with a CB on him every down, and the advantage goes to the defense.

In conclusion, this is a stupid idea.

Oh i agree, I never thought it was a good idea. However, I was saying as far as physical attributes go, he compares extremely well with Welker and the rest. There are obviously other things that go into making a great slot receiver, but as far as the measureables, Keller has them.

Archived