brandon pettigrew @ 17

bitonti

makes sense on many levels

pros:

they lost chris baker to NE

dustin keller can't block much

they have no other options to speak of (dearth?)

he's in the discussion as high as 11 to buffalo (but buffalo won't take him)

he won't last much longer than 17, he's not a reach (philly at 21 will snap him up)

he's the only block/catch threat at the position this year

it's basically like drafting an extension to your OL

whoever the QB is, rex ryan going to want to run to protect him

they don't have 3 WR that are worth seeing the field (at this rate they will be lucky to have two)

he can start right away hopefully

had a very solid senior bowl, very solid combine and has been a stud at Okla state for a while

Jets TE curse broken last year

cons:

character concerns?

not going to break a deep gainer

what if he gets hurt?

I was in a podcast mock draft with scott wright and colin from gbn report and I had the NYJ 17 pick - it all dawned on me during the draft, right before the pick. at least 10 pros and maybe 2 cons. Character concerns? he's basically a pro te right out of the box.

before you ask, at least Beanie Wells, Stafford, Sanchez, Maclin, Tyson Jackson were all off the board. DHB went 18 to CHI, I just couldn't pull the trigger on late first WR value on 17.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't paid much attention to Pettigrew at all so take this for what its worth but I don't see the logic. Why draft another 1st round TE when the one you just took last year showed so much promise? If the main thing he'll be drafted for is blocking can't that be found in the later rounds? I'm sure there are other good blocking TEs in the draft. Also, from the very little I've read on him and what you just said in this post he doesn't strike me as a special talent worth passing on, at worst, similar value at more pressing needs. A blocking TE is something that can be addressed with FA or with a late round pick.

just to be clear im not advocating this move, i'm predicting it

he's a legit first rounder, which is more than we can say about some of the WR names being bandied around.

and yes you can find other TE in the draft but it's unlikely you could start them on day 1.

just to be clear im not advocating this move, i'm predicting it

he's a legit first rounder, which is more than we can say about some of the WR names being bandied around.

and yes you can find other TE in the draft but it's unlikely you could start them on day 1.

Wow I was talking to my friend last night about the very same thing. I said that they might make Keller a WR or maybe trade him because he can't block and Rex wants to run. I Don't want this to happen but I am preparing myself for it.

I think there is less than 5% chance of this happening (5 being lenient)

IMO Ryan will want to draft a defensive player at 17. If he's put in a position where he doesnt want to pick Tyson Jackson because he's added the depth at DT with Green and supposedly wanting to move Jenkins around to the 3-technique, I think he will be forced to pick the best offensive weapon available. I am torn between Heyward-Bey and Hakeem Nicks, but I love Nicks' great hands and his size (even though I think it's similar to DHB's height)

also it wasn't like Baker or Franks were creating those giant holes for T.J. and Leon, it was our O-Line. Keller probably played 75% of the offensive snaps. I just dont think Rex Ryan's first pick as a Jets Head Coach will be a Tight End, can you imagine the hell that will reign down on him.

They're not switching Keller to WR, his main contribution is his ability to be able to line up on the line as a pass blocker and then explode into the secondary up the seam of the defense, not to be lined up on the outside with a cornerback, regardless of the fact he has greater size than most or all of them. Part of his success relies on the fact that he can line up (Im not saying block fantastic), but line up and then at least confuse the defense and make them put a linebacker on him or a safety, thus creating matchup problems elsewhere as well.

if you don't like the pick fine (i might not like the pick) but serious question if the board falls this way, who else is a better value?

mms://nick9.surfernetwork.com/WGDPFiles/Draft31209.wma

http://nick8.surfernetwork.com/Media/Pod/WGDP/Draft31209.mp3

participants are Matt Bitonti (Draftdaddy), Greg DePalma (Prime Sports Network), Scott Wright (DraftCountdown), Colin Lindsay (Great Blue North Draft Report)

1 DET - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest (MattB)

2 STL - OT Jason Smith, Baylor (GregD)

3 KC - DE Brian Orakpo, Texas (Scott)

4 SEA - QB Matt Stafford, Georgia (Colin)

5 CLE - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College (MattB)

6 CIN - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia (GregD)

7 OAK - WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri (Scott)

8 JAC - QB Mark Sanchez, USC (Colin)

9 GB - DE Everette Brown, Florida State (MattB)

10 SF - LB Rey Maulauga, USC (GregD)

11 BUF - DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State (Scott)

12 DEN - CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State (Colin)

13 WAS - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss (MattB)

14 NO - RB Beanie Wells, Ohio State (GregD)

15 HOU - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (Scott)

16 SD - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU (Colin)

17 NYJ -

Interesting take, Bit, but I can't forsee the Jets using the 17th overall on a blocking TE because that's what he'll be with Keller on the field.

Not if he can catch.

I think I'd need a little time to wrap my head around the idea, but I think I could like it. A lot of two TE sets, moving Keller around from a three point stance, to out wide, to the backfield. Lots of options. Two big targets on the field for our inexperienced QB to throw to. A lot of plusses. If they really believe in Clowney and Stuckey, a move like this would get them on the field and take pressure off of them all at once.

A TE is also exactly the kind of offensive pick that a defensive coach might want to make. God knows Belichick always loves some TE.

It's interesting, I'll give it that.

I just cannot see the Jets (nor would I be in favor of it) pulling the trigger on a Tight End two years in a row in the 1st round, especially since Keller has such talent. I understand that he is going to be used in the slot more than he is on the line of scrimmage but you can find blocking Tight Ends out there in Free Agency and later on in the draft. It would upset me to see them take Pettigrew when they could have a Hakeem Nicks or Darrius Heyward-Bey. Might they be taking them a couple of slots early? Maybe, hopefully they try to trade down and pick up a draft pick then. If not, I'd rather take the guy they want at 17 thats projected to go 25 or 26 than to take a guy whose "supposed" to be picked at that spot.

if you don't like the pick fine (i might not like the pick) but serious question if the board falls this way, who else is a better value?

participants are Matt Bitonti (Draftdaddy), Greg DePalma (Prime Sports Network), Scott Wright (DraftCountdown), Colin Lindsay (Great Blue North Draft Report)

17 NYJ -

if the draft plays out like that then vontae davis should be the pick here..

makes sense on many levels

pros:

they lost chris baker to NE

dustin keller can't block much

they have no other options to speak of (dearth?)

he's in the discussion as high as 11 to buffalo (but buffalo won't take him)

he won't last much longer than 17, he's not a reach (philly at 21 will snap him up)

he's the only block/catch threat at the position this year

it's basically like drafting an extension to your OL

whoever the QB is, rex ryan going to want to run to protect him

they don't have 3 WR that are worth seeing the field (at this rate they will be lucky to have two)

he can start right away hopefully

had a very solid senior bowl, very solid combine and has been a stud at Okla state for a while

Jets TE curse broken last year

cons:

character concerns?

not going to break a deep gainer

what if he gets hurt?

I was in a podcast mock draft with scott wright and colin from gbn report and I had the NYJ 17 pick - it all dawned on me during the draft, right before the pick. at least 10 pros and maybe 2 cons. Character concerns? he's basically a pro te right out of the box.

before you ask, at least Beanie Wells, Stafford, Sanchez, Maclin, Tyson Jackson were all off the board. DHB went 18 to CHI, I just couldn't pull the trigger on late first WR value on 17.

I also have thought this could happen...but I think it is too early and he has too many issues...I would rather take Kenny Britt...

please elaborate on character concerns

does he beat women or what ?

you can't just dismiss that

you're making a gigantic investment in a 20 year old kid, you need some idea that he's not going to blow it

this is a tough call, with franks not signed, we really need a TE, but I still would rather have a DE or WR at 17

Weaknesses: Route running needs to be slightly refined, but this is nitpicky ... Lets balls get into his body at times ... Will be a 24-year-old rookie so he is a year older than the average senior ... Arrested for allegedly assaulting a police officer (by elbowing his chest) and his character will go under the microscope.

3/11/2009 - Oklahoma State Pro day: Pettigrew's work out put on hold...Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew was nice enough to inform everyone that he was not going to work out today due to a pulled hamstring. He is going to set up a date with his agent to work out for teams in about two weeks. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

I would have to have been at the party to judge the assault charge, maybe he was trying to break up a fight, and more or less elbowed the cop in a big pile, or maybe he saw it was a cop, and was drunk, and gave him a shot

but being 24 and the ankle injury and the hammy are pretty huge concerns right now

so he's old enough to be a 3rd year pro, and he's not dominating the competition ?

major question mark for me

17 NYJ -WR Percy Harvin, UF

easy

Here's the problem with taking a WR or RB at 17

there could be 4 WR there, Harvin, DHB, Britt, Nicks and lets say 3 RB there Moreno, McCoy and Brown

you could pass on em all and maybe 4 of those 7 are still on the board 10 slots later. almost all of those names are reaches at 17. I don't think Petti is a reach at 17.

And yes I do agree if the Jets find away to trade down, they will. At that point, maybe 5-10 slots later yes a WR or RB makes more sense.

But still here we are March 15 and the Jets TE corp consists of Keller and Dearth. LJ Smith is signed up, all of the FA remaining, it's arguable if they are even starters. Bubba Franks might be the best FA TE on the market right now. The Jets literally don't have enough bodies to start the year at the position, and the chances of a mid to late rounder starting on day 1 are alot smaller than the chances Petti starts day 1.

Dustin Keller is never going to block. The second tight end on this team is never going to be a big factor in the passing game.

Throw # 88 on Wayne Hunter and pick somebody else in the first round.

DE would still be nice. WR is a bigger need. Knowshown Moreno would be a lot of fun to have here. Local boy who is explosive.

Whatever happens, I hope it isn't a tight end.

Here's the problem with taking a WR or RB at 17

there could be 4 WR there, Harvin, DHB, Britt, Nicks and lets say 3 RB there Moreno, McCoy and Brown

you could pass on em all and maybe 4 of those 7 are still on the board 10 slots later. almost all of those names are reaches at 17. I don't think Petti is a reach at 17.

And yes I do agree if the Jets find away to trade down, they will. At that point, maybe 5-10 slots later yes a WR or RB makes more sense.

But still here we are March 15 and the Jets TE corp consists of Keller and Dearth. LJ Smith is signed up, all of the FA remaining, it's arguable if they are even starters. Bubba Franks might be the best FA TE on the market right now. The Jets literally don't have enough bodies to start the year at the position, and the chances of a mid to late rounder starting on day 1 are alot smaller than the chances Petti starts day 1.

a starter over keller or a starter in a 2 TE set ?

imho, he simply isn't the BPA at 17

even if you are drafting for need, WR is a bigger need because if we don't sign a veteran, you're looking at cotch and smith or cotch and clowney

yikes

then you're looking at 8 men in the box and no running game, even with the vaunted 24 year old rookie with injury problems blocking

yikes

If we take Pettigrew at 17 or anyother TE I'm going to start shooting people at the bar. The offense has bigger needs then TE and we could still use help on D, I'd take all these guys over Pettigrew as well as trade down.

Moreno

Britt

DHB

Nicks

Harvin

Davis

Smith

Butler

Pretty much any WR, RB or DB that is worth a 1st round pick.

this is a tough call, with franks not signed, we really need a TE, but I still would rather have a DE or WR at 17

Weaknesses: Route running needs to be slightly refined, but this is nitpicky ... Lets balls get into his body at times ... Will be a 24-year-old rookie so he is a year older than the average senior ... Arrested for allegedly assaulting a police officer (by elbowing his chest) and his character will go under the microscope.

3/11/2009 - Oklahoma State Pro day: Pettigrew's work out put on hold...Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew was nice enough to inform everyone that he was not going to work out today due to a pulled hamstring. He is going to set up a date with his agent to work out for teams in about two weeks. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

I would have to have been at the party to judge the assault charge, maybe he was trying to break up a fight, and more or less elbowed the cop in a big pile, or maybe he saw it was a cop, and was drunk, and gave him a shot

but being 24 and the ankle injury and the hammy are pretty huge concerns right now

so he's old enough to be a 3rd year pro, and he's not dominating the competition ?

major question mark for me

From the article...the police gave him an opportunity to calm down and collect himself...after he suffuiciently calmed down and the police removed the handcuffs he made an attempt to re-engage in the altercation...on top of that, he arrives three hours late for his court date...does not exactly suggest he is a Boy Scout who got caught in a bad situation...We don't know if Ryan eliminates talented, but character flawed players from his draft board ala Mangini but don't think he recommends his first ever draft pick as head coach on Pettigrew. The kid is very talented and we need a blocking TE but the risk may be greater than any reward...FWIW...I agree we don't go WR in first round...suspect we are focused on DE or DB. Every move we have made in this off season has been to give Rex all the tools he needs to build that dominating defense.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080617_93_B2_OLHMTT886984

I just cannot see the Jets (nor would I be in favor of it) pulling the trigger on a Tight End two years in a row in the 1st round, especially since Keller has such talent. I understand that he is going to be used in the slot more than he is on the line of scrimmage but you can find blocking Tight Ends out there in Free Agency and later on in the draft. It would upset me to see them take Pettigrew when they could have a Hakeem Nicks or Darrius Heyward-Bey. Might they be taking them a couple of slots early? Maybe, hopefully they try to trade down and pick up a draft pick then. If not, I'd rather take the guy they want at 17 thats projected to go 25 or 26 than to take a guy whose "supposed" to be picked at that spot.

Two years in a row for a 1st round TE ? I agree Joe, ain't gonna happen.

seems to me that we allready have a pass catching TE,

so how about one of these guys after the 3rd round.

bear pascoe / fresno state

rob gronkowski / arizona

john phillips / virgina

none of these guys are going long, but all have good hands and CAN BLOCK, both in the run game and pass protection.

Your missing the point. Its not about getting a blocking te, but an all around TE(one that can block and catch) You have an allround TE and you become less predictable on offense. If you just had a blocking TE team pretty much know what your trying to do. That all round Te it could be a run or he c ould go out for a pass with keller.

NO WR you pick at 17 is probably coming in and making an impact next year. (takes time for those guys to develope) That all round te just might. Jets have their H back (Keller) and beehoves them to get a Allround TE to team up with him.

This is a good topic, but it boils down to do you take the best player available or the best player available who plays a need position? Pettigrew has a solid first round grade while guys that we may end up taking may be graded out lower. Pettigrew is going to be a good player, but may be more of a Daniel Graham than a Jason Witten. I would probably go for a WR or RB at that spot.

so here we are March 24, i don't think there is a bigger hole on the roster than blocking TE. just sayin.

So if Kyle Brady were available again, you'd take him?

QB, pass rushers and a WR are all much much bigger needs than a blocking tight end.

so here we are March 24, i don't think there is a bigger hole on the roster than blocking TE. just sayin.

But just because there is a hole in the roster doesn't mean you HAVE to address it in the 1st round. You should ALWAYS go BPA in the 1st imo. That is where you have the best chance to get the best players regardless of position.

Also TE is not that hard to fill later. Phillips and Gronkowski are good all around players. I don't know much about Pascoe or some of the offenses like Iowa or Arkansas who have generally been run heavy. There are some guys from those schools that are eligible according to ESPN. You don't need to run a 4.5 to be a TE when we already have that guy on the roster. Pettigrew is a solid player and if he's the BPA fine, go with him and try and run a deadly 2 TE offense. but don't target him solely because we need a dual purpose TE.

Archived