Hakeem Nicks Debate

BroadwayJoe12

I had this question pop into my mind when another poster mentioned it in a different argument. Someone brought up the idea that Keller should be moved to WR, which I don't think is a smart move, and a lot of people shot it down saying that he's too slow, not quick enough and wouldn't be able to match up well with opposing CB.

I have a feeling a lot of those people are the same that think Nicks could be our stud WR. The reality is, his numbers don't look to be too much different than Keller's. He ran 2 hundredths of a second better in the 40 and his other numbers aren't known. However, we can see how well Keller compares to the studs of last year (and Welker), which shows how much of a athletic specimen he is.

I know there are more things that make a good receiver than physical attributes, but we've already seen keller succeed in the NFL. He has made big plays, he's very physical, he can make the tough catch (although he's dropped a few big ones) and he has done it in big time situations (during the pats game). However, I don't think many people would be comfortable splitting him out wide and having him be our #1.

The bottom line is, if we don't think that Keller has the ability to play WR, what makes everyone confident that Nicks can be our #1, when they seem to have a very similar skill set. (Keller also put up solid numbers his last year at purdue; 68 catches, 881 yards and 7 tds). I would just like to hear the other side of the argument.

Keller: 6'2" 242 lbs, 4.53 40, 41" vert, 10'11" broad jump, 4.14 20 yard shuttle, 6.88 3-cone.

Nicks: 6'1" 212 lbs, 4.51 40, 36" vert ....didn't perform other drills

Djax - 5'9.5", 169 lbs, 4.35 40 34.5" vert, 4.19 shuttle, 6.82 3cone

Avery - 5'11", 192 lbs, 4.43 40, 37.5" vert, 3.91 shuttle,

Royal - 5'9.5", 184 lbs, 4.39 40, 36" vert, 4.34 shuttle, 7.07 3cone

Welker : 5'9" 195 lbs, 30" vert, 9'5" broad jump, 4.65 40, 4.01 20 yard shuttle, 7.09 3-cone.

I think the difference is more in the finer points of the job. Keller more often then not gets open because of raw athletic ability, as I've never really thought of Keller as a particularly crisp route runner. And as you've pointed out, Keller does drop the occasional pass. Nicks already excells at both areas. This is significant because Keller is a significantly quicker athlete then anybody he matches up at Tight End, but that wouldn't be the case at WR (Although I imagine being 30 pounds larger then just about any DB would help quite a bit).

I do agree with you in that I question if Nicks is a True #1 though, I wonder if he may in fact be closer to Cotchery then Boldin (Who his supporters make him out to be). I have him about 5th on my wish list, behind Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, and Heyward-Bey.

this is an excellent post. Keller is basically Nicks plus 30 pounds and MORE athletic ability.

Nicks, Britt and even DHB are looking like reaches at 17.

mayock loves this kid and he is the best!!!

the videos i have seen of Nicks have sold me his bill of goods

1st round wr's are a crapshoot at best and more often than not are complete busts.

get the best available wr in rd 2 and be thankful you didn't draft a bust wr in rd 1.

....because the odds are better in Round 2 then they are in Round 1?

And this idea that WR's are more of a crapshoot then other positions is completely untrue. All positions have busts, it happens.

when are people gonna learn that 40 times are not an indicator of a persons ability to play football. I've seen a bit of the tape, and listened to enough people to know that Nicks plays faster than his 40 time.

for the Jets, Nicks, Britt, or Barden are the best bets at wide receiver

when are people gonna learn that 40 times are not an indicator of a persons ability to play football. I've seen a bit of the tape, and listened to enough people to know that Nicks plays faster than his 40 time.

for the Jets, Nicks, Britt, or Barden are the best bets at wide receiver

as a general rule you shouldn't be taking guys that play faster than they time at 17... unless they have a Michael Crabtree or Jerry Rice type of resume. Yes 40 times are not the be all and end all but Jets fans want their team to draft 2nd round WR in the mid first based on pure need.

as a general rule you shouldn't be taking guys that play faster than they time at 17... unless they have a Michael Crabtree or Jerry Rice type of resume. Yes 40 times are not the be all and end all but Jets fans want their team to draft 2nd round WR in the mid first based on pure need.

40 times dont really mean squat... cone drill is slightly more relevant...

Please tell me when it matters that a WR can run 40 yards? Once maybe twice a game?

Give me a 5 or 10 yard dash time... I want an explosive WR... not a guy who cna hold his speed through 40 yards...

yeah but here's the thing, it seems all jets fans think they have to draft at 17, the Jets are in a great position to trade down a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th, and still get one of these receivers

yeah but here's the thing, it seems all jets fans think they have to draft at 17, the Jets are in a great position to trade down a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th, and still get one of these receivers

It's possible. That works for depth, but if they like any of these guys they should pull the trigger. It's not like they are all interchangeable. They may all end up decent players, but it's not like you are automatically happy with the consolation prize.

A perfect example was the strong OT class in '06. Sure it may have been possible to trade down, amass more picks and end up with McNeil and be fine at LT. You also may have ended up with Winston Justice, who sucks monkey balls. In that case we wouldn't even have ended up with a serviceable guard. If these guys actually like one of these prospects I hope they pull the trigger and not get cute for the chance to draft the next Eric Smith.

It's possible. That works for depth, but if they like any of these guys they should pull the trigger. It's not like they are all interchangeable. They may all end up decent players, but it's not like you are automatically happy with the consolation prize.

A perfect example was the strong OT class in '06. Sure it may have been possible to trade down, amass more picks and end up with McNeil and be fine at LT. You also may have ended up with Winston Justice, who sucks monkey balls. In that case we wouldn't even have ended up with a serviceable guard. If these guys actually like one of these prospects I hope they pull the trigger and not get cute for the chance to draft the next Eric Smith.

Nicks, Nicks, Nicks, Nicks!

:lol:

A perfect example was the strong OT class in '06. Sure it may have been possible to trade down, amass more picks and end up with McNeil and be fine at LT. You also may have ended up with Winston Justice, who sucks monkey balls.

:rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl:

Monkey balls.

Sorry all I'm easily amused tonight.

Archived