• Created
  • Last Reply
Dick Vitale's Top 5 for next year:

1. Kansas

2. Duke

3. Syracuse

4. Purdue

5. Michigan State

Duke is likely to lose their best player, I don't see how they can be top 5. The others I have no problems w/. MSU loses Suton but a healty Roe will be a difference maker for them next year. The FF is in Indianapolis next year, will Purdue make it and get the home court edge next year?

Cool. So when did you get clearance to date an Italian chick? I was on the phone with the Polish embassy a short time ago and they have no record of you applying for the proper paperwork.

You dont have to apply when yo uare taking a step down :D

What do you call a Italian who marries a Polish person?

A social climber

Duke is likely to lose their best player, I don't see how they can be top 5. The others I have no problems w/. MSU loses Suton but a healty Roe will be a difference maker for them next year. The FF is in Indianapolis next year, will Purdue make it and get the home court edge next year?

Vitale said on air that he has heard that Henderson is staying

Cool. So when did you get clearance to date an Italian chick? I was on the phone with the Polish embassy a short time ago and they have no record of you applying for the proper paperwork.

Haha, I'm sure to always crack some Italian jokes, and I get my Polish jokes back. It's quite entertaining!

Haha, I'm sure to always crack some Italian jokes, and I get my Polish jokes back. It's quite entertaining!

There are Italian jokes? :) Congratulations on your most impressive victory. It quickly became a boring game, except for Tar heel fans. It'll be like when the Jets trounce the Giants in this year's Super Bowl 55-6. Everyone but us jet fans will tune out.

If Jonny Flynn doesn't come back, Syracuse has no chance.

He has said he wants to come back, but money always talks.

Still a coach at heart, Smith watched on from Chapel Hill

Story Highlights

UNC coaching legend Dean Smith watched the title game in Chapel Hill

Without any fanfare, he sat on his couch and scribbled coaching notes

After the victory, Smith reflected on his pride in coach Roy Williams

By Larry Keith, Special to SI.com

dean.jpg

UNC coaching legend Dean Smith watched one as his Tar Heels claimed another title Monday.

For a quiet, unassuming guy who stayed home in Chapel Hill, Dean Smith received a fair amount of attention in Detroit on championship Monday. And all of it was deserved.

That afternoon, Tar Heel uber legend Michael Jordan acknowledged his induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame by saying "There's no way you guys would have got a chance to see Michael Jordan play without Dean Smith teaching me the game." Hours later, Tar Heel coach Roy Williams stood atop the victory platform at Ford Arena, and said to the camera, "Coach, I hope you're watching this moment."

Coach was. He was sitting on the couch in his living room and watching the vintage TV set mounted in the bookcase beside the stone fireplace. As he scribbled notes on his white notepad, his wife Linnea knew better than to interrupt his concentration. This was the Dean Home, not the Dean Dome. Not a party or a social event. No snacks on a plate, no memorabilia on the walls. Nothing that bespoke his 879 wins, 11 Final Fours, two NCAA championships, 1976 Olympic gold medal or 1997 SI Sportsman of the Year Award. Basketball is still serious business for Smith, even 13 years into retirement. His children, including his daughter Kelly and her Michigan State grad fianc

Dean is looking so old. I can't believe it's been 12 years since he coached.

nyjunc,,you can still see Dean at Squids in Chapel Hill his favorite seafood place,,

Roy's favorite also,,Roy eats in restaurant, while Dean just drives up and gets take-out from the back door of restaurant.

Its one of Roys places to take recruits and thier parents, down to earth, not pretentious.

http://squidsrestaurant.com/

funny side-note from game:

Williams, 58, recalled a few light moments during Monday's pregame festivities. He said he wanted to shake hands with The Temptations, who sang the national anthem. "They got off the court before I could get to them."

He said college and NBA great Larry Bird offered support before the game. Bird, an Indiana State alumnus, had joined Michigan State alumnus Earvin "Magic" Johnson in presenting the game ball to commemorate the 30th anniversary of their meeting in the NCAA championship game. Johnson's Michigan State team was victorious then, and he remains a zealous MSU fan.

After the presentation, Bird and Johnson shook hands with Williams and Michigan State coach Tom Izzo.

"Magic had come over, and I said, 'I know where your allegiance is, but I appreciate you supporting college basketball.' " Williams said. "Larry walked over and said, 'Kick their butt.' "

Archived