The **OFFICIAL 2009 NCAA TOURNAMENT** Thread

PS17

NCAA teams lovin' McDonald's all-stars

All-Americans beef up 11 of the remaining 16 rosters

Ken Tysiac - Staff Writer

Published: Wed, Mar. 25, 2009 12:30AM

It's Ronald McDonald's bracket now.

The 24 high school players selected to the McDonald's All American High School Basketball Games each year generally are considered the most coveted recruits in the nation.

Having at least one of those players on your roster is one of the most surefire ways to advance in the NCAA Tournament.

The tournament opened last week with 21 teams featuring at least one McDonald's All-American on their roster and 44 with none. Eleven teams with McDonald's All-America talent reached the round of 16.

Thirty-nine of the other 44 have been eliminated. Except for No. 12 seed Arizona, a perennial national power with elite recruit Chase Budinger at forward, the 16 regional semifinalists consist entirely of teams seeded No. 1 through No. 5.

Virtually all of them contend for top recruits every year.

"Recruiting success, particularly getting quality point guards and big guys, is essential to having a team that's capable of making the round of 16 and beyond," said All-Star Sports recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons.

Tobacco Road giants

Of the 62 McDonald's All-Americans who remain in college and who are not redshirting this season, 29 play for teams still alive in the NCAA Tournament.

And nobody in the tournament has more McDonald's All-Americans than North Carolina (eight) and Duke (seven).

Kevin Broadus used to be able to compete for those kinds of elite athletes when he was an assistant coach recruiting at Georgetown. As a member of John Thompson III's staff there, he tried to recruit Duke's Nolan Smith and North Carolina's Danny Green.

So Broadus knew what he was up against when he met Duke in the first round as the second-year coach at Binghamton, a school that doesn't often attract the interest of top-100 recruits.

"These guys can really play," Broadus said of the Blue Devils. "They have McDonald's All Americans. They have a lot of good players. Everything concerns me about Duke, trust me."

Sure enough, Duke won 86-62.

Players at Duke and North Carolina downplay the importance of playing on teams stocked with elite recruits, because they see it from the other side. They face opponents who are motivated to make a name for themselves with a big performance against a marquee program.

But it's impossible to deny the advantage pure talent gives North Carolina and Duke.

"Every team is really hungry, especially now [at] this time of the year. This is March, and they want to win," Green said. "They want to get a chance to play in the Final Four and win a national championship. But I guess when you have [top] recruits like that, I guess it is easier to play and not think about, 'Well, they have this guy,' or [someone's] better than us."

Case study: Rick Barnes

Rick Barnes coached three Clemson teams to the NCAA Tournament in the 1990s, but he didn't have any McDonald's All-Americans.

Only one of those Clemson teams survived the first round.

"As you continue to go [in the tournament], there is one common denominator, and it's talent," Barnes said.

It isn't easy to attract top talent at Clemson, which has signed just three McDonald's All-Americans out of high school in its history.

Clemson struggles to recruit at the same level as regional rivals Duke and North Carolina, and Barnes left for Texas after four seasons. There, he targets elite talent in a state with a fertile recruiting area in Houston.

Coming into this season, Texas under Barnes had been one of three schools to reach the NCAA round of 16 five times in the past seven seasons. During that time, the Longhorns always had at least one McDonald's All-American on the roster.

But after D.J. Augustin left early to be selected by the Charlotte Bobcats in the first round of last year's NBA Draft, Barnes was left without a McDonald's All-American this season.

Duke and its seven McDonald's All-Americans edged Texas 74-69 on Saturday in a second-round game in Greensboro.

'A player's game'

America's love of underdogs generated national support for George Mason in its trip to the Final Four in 2006 and for Davidson in its trip to a regional final last year.

Those tournament performances were memorable because they were unusual. For the most part, though, big-name teams with the most highly sought athletes survive and thrive.

And if you're in that elite group of schools, the cycle perpetuates itself because many top recruits want to play for proven winners. This year's McDonald's All-America game will be held April 1, three days before the national semifinals at the Final Four.

Fifteen of the 23 committed players in the game have chosen schools in the current round of 16. North Carolina is getting four. Duke has signed two. They should be among the favorites to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament again next year.

"There is no doubt," Barnes said, "that it's a player's game as you continue in March."

Players who help serve up success

Twenty-nine of the 62 former McDonald's All-Americans in college basketball who are not redshirting this season are on the 11 teams that reached the NCAA Tournament's round of 16. Here is the breakdown:

North Carolina (8): Bobby Frasor, Danny Green, Tyler Hansbrough, Wayne Ellington, Ty Lawson, Larry Drew, Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller

Duke (7): Greg Paulus, Gerald Henderson, Jon Scheyer, Lance Thomas, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, Elliot Williams

Kansas (2): Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich

Louisville (2): Earl Clark, Samardo Samuels

Oklahoma (2): Blake Griffin, Willie Warren

Syracuse (2): Eric Devendorf, Jonny Flynn

Villanova (2): Scottie Reynolds, Corey Stokes

Arizona (1): Chase Budinger

Connecticut (1): Kemba Walker

Gonzaga (1): Micah Downs

Memphis (1): Tyreke Evans

Note: Michigan State, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Purdue and Xavier advanced to this year's round of 16 without McDonald's All-Americans on their rosters.

I believe Paul Harris was a Mcdonalds AA coming out of HS as well... Not sure on that though.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm ready. Dukes' going to try to flop their way to victory. We are the more athletic team though. We need to smother them on defense and attack the hoop.

lol. I was wondering how they won so many damn games. And then I watched them last week. They basically beat Binghamton on foul shot differential too. Pathetic.

I'm not a big college hoops fan and will watch the occasional game but I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea Boston was hosting a regional.

Boston is not a college hoops town at all. I found out about this weekends games when I was at a bar outside the Garden last weekend for the Hockey East finals.

Trust me, I'm not the only one who had no idea. http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2009/03/26/ncaa_event_draws_hordes___and_blank_stares/

Since Xavier & Villanova are both customers of mine I will pick them to win tonight. Plus I can't stand Duke!

what do you sell to Villanova?

A Business Simulation called MikesBikes. The Business School completely revamped the course (Business Dynamics) for incoming freshman last summer and they will be using MikesBikes in a couple of weeks.

I've been down there 3 times since last March. Excellent faculty and a very nice Business School. Bartley Hall right?

A Business Simulation called MikesBikes. The Business School completely revamped the course (Business Dynamics) for incoming freshman last summer and they will be using MikesBikes in a couple of weeks.

I've been down there 3 times since last March. Excellent faculty and a very nice Business School. Bartley Hall right?

Yeah, Barley is home to the B-School, though I've heard it will be re-named for the right price.

I was not a business student, however.

Yeah, Barley is home to the B-School, though I've heard it will be re-named for the right price.

I was not a business student, however.

Anything and everything can be named for a price on a College Campus.

You should have the crowd on your side tonight because of two things:

1). It's only a 6 or so hour drive to Boston from Philly

2). Everyone hates Duke

Good Luck tonight.

Anything and everything can be named for a price on a College Campus.

You should have the crowd on your side tonight because of two things:

1). It's only a 6 or so hour drive to Boston from Philly

2). Everyone hates Duke

Good Luck tonight.

Thanks, I'm hoping we get the refs on our side too. We'll need it if Duke tries to pull this crap on us:

s0upQDkY-pg

I'm sensing that Nova will win by double digits, they just need to knock down their shots.

& as Otter said earlier...no inside presence for the dookies.

game is ovah nova kicked arse

scheyer was exposed today

and henderson suked today

The Big East has a great shot at getting three teams into the Final Four. Actually, I'd be shocked if they did not get at least 3. UConn should handle Missouri. Louisville is much better than anyone in their bracket. Obviously they'll get one out of the East.

If Gonzaga knocks off Carolina and Syracuse can get by Oklahoma. They might make it 4/4. In that case they may as well move the Final Four to MSG.

Archived