TJ angling for new contract?

BroadwayJoe12

He is 31 years old but does not have the wear and tear on his body like other 31 year old backs. He led the AFC in rushing last season and this year he is going to be getting the same amount of work, if not more, because the Jets are going to be a run first, run second and 50-50 chance of run third, type team. Jones shouldn't get years added on (not yet) but I would give him a $2-3 million raise for 2009 to keep him happy. We have the cap room.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is 31 years old but does not have the wear and tear on his body like other 31 year old backs. He led the AFC in rushing last season and this year he is going to be getting the same amount of work, if not more, because the Jets are going to be a run first, run second and 50-50 chance of run third, type team. Jones shouldn't get years added on (not yet) but I would give him a $2-3 million raise for 2009 to keep him happy. We have the cap room.

Problem is than everyone wants a raise. Besides, we have to lock up leon first and I am pretty sure Leon will be utilized much more this season and the jets will be more like the trend across the league with 2 or more backs splitting the load. Jones has been paid plenty. One terrible year and one very good year does not equal contract renegotiation.

The JETS do not have the cap room actually... they need to re-sign Leon... plus the rookies... and they need to keep some space available for FA pickups when the cuts roll in...

They only have 13 million or so...

Leon

Draft picks

FA's for depth, possibly even a starter...

That will go quick...

Problem is than everyone wants a raise. Besides, we have to lock up leon first and I am pretty sure Leon will be utilized much more this season and the jets will be more like the trend across the league with 2 or more backs splitting the load. Jones has been paid plenty. One terrible year and one very good year does not equal contract renegotiation.

I'd love to know how Leon Washington is going to be utilized more in the running game when we are going to be a smash mouth team. I really would love to know how that is going to happen. I love Leon, he's a great Kick Returner and a great back to carry the ball 10 times a game, but that is his ceiling, he isn't a 20-25 carry a game type of back.

Jones will be the feature back and will be the main reason why the Jets ground game is successful or not and if it isn't successful we won't win 6 games even with our Defense.

FTW.

Leon is great but cant get out of the backfield and up the gut like Jones. hes dangerous on the screen.

I love how everybody is saying his 2008 season was inflated because of the Offensive Line, but nobody is willing to admit that his 2007 season was deflated because of the Offensive Line as well. He didn't slack off or anything in 2007, the only difference between the two seasons was the 5 men in front of him.

As for his contract situation, nobody can sit here and tell me that him making 900K in Real Money next season is fair market value for him. I say quietly restructure his deal and give him a portion of that 2010 money next season before bridges get burned, but don't extend his deal, we really need TJ for next season.

I love how everybody is saying his 2008 season was inflated because of the Offensive Line, but nobody is willing to admit that his 2007 season was deflated because of the Offensive Line as well. He didn't slack off or anything in 2007, the only difference between the two seasons was the 5 men in front of him.

As for his contract situation, nobody can sit here and tell me that him making 900K in Real Money next season is fair market value for him. I say quietly restructure his deal and give him a portion of that 2010 money next season before bridges get burned, but don't extend his deal, we really need TJ for next season.

He made a ton of money in the last 2 years... its a long term deal... if he wants to play year by year thats fine... but he didnt...

07??? That whole team was a mess... :yawn:

Yup and he was one of them.

Anyone is great when they have all the holes in the world opened for them and a future hof qb who is known for throwing it deep is there, only truly great ones excel when they don't have it all laid out for them.

Not saying he is great, but look at what ronnie brown was doing in Miami with a team worse than us.

The JETS do not have the cap room actually... they need to re-sign Leon... plus the rookies... and they need to keep some space available for FA pickups when the cuts roll in...

They only have 13 million or so...

Leon

Draft picks

FA's for depth, possibly even a starter...

That will go quick...

Leon and Draft Picks shouldn't take up more then 7 million or so in 2009 Cap Space, considering that most deals are backloaded in general. There's enough room to take care of TJ if they so chose, without really making any cutbacks elsewhere.

07??? That whole team was a mess... :yawn:

Comeon, don't use logic. Thomas Jones is supposed to create holes, run through them and then run over people. That is his job! Who the F needs an Offensive Line? OLines are for pussies! ;)

Leon and Draft Picks shouldn't take up more then 7 million or so in 2009 Cap Space, considering that most deals are backloaded in general. There's enough room to take care of TJ if they so chose, without really making any cutbacks elsewhere.

Problem is that he was already given a ton of money...

He has made 12 million so far in 2 seasons... this season would put him at 13 million...

thats 4.3 million per season... and he was lucky to get so much up front... (6 million signing bonus + 4 million in other bonuses)

If he breaks his neck this season... he will have made 13 million or more in 3 years...

Now I would not mind altering his deal if he is willing to not add years... he is due to hit the cap for like 7.5 million next year... if we can just accelerate 2 or 3 million of that into this year instead of next year... thats fine..

No new money, no more years... Curtis is the perfect example of why thats a bad idea...

...No more then fair market value for an annual 1,000 yard rusher.

13 million for 2 years of 1,000 yards?

Pfft... not to mention almost any decent RB could pile up 1000 yards with the current OL...

I'd love to know how Leon Washington is going to be utilized more in the running game when we are going to be a smash mouth team. I really would love to know how that is going to happen. I love Leon, he's a great Kick Returner and a great back to carry the ball 10 times a game, but that is his ceiling, he isn't a 20-25 carry a game type of back.

Jones will be the feature back and will be the main reason why the Jets ground game is successful or not and if it isn't successful we won't win 6 games even with our Defense.

1) who said Leon was going to be a 25 carry a game back? I said split carries. 12-15 carries is more like it.

2) we have a great returner in Leonhard so hopefully he takes that and frees up leon a little more

3) I would love to know why you think that a player who only had 4 attempts a game last year and averaged 6 yards a touch and was able to score 6 tds off such small amount of carries can't be utilized more.

13M is not fair market value for two 1,000-yard seasons.

It absolutely is....have you looked around the league lately?

Michael Turner got 34.5 million (5.75 million/yr) with less then 300 carries rushing in his CAREER at the time. You're seriously trying to tell me that Thomas Jones, coming off of 2 straight thousand yard seasons, wasn't worth 6.5 million for the first 2 years of his new deal? Steven Jackson signed a deal last year worth for 44.805 million, or 7.46 million/yr.

Saying Thomas Jones hasn't been worth 6.5 million a year might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, no offense.

It absolutely is....have you looked around the league lately?

Michael Turner got 34.5 million (5.75 million/yr) with less then 300 carries rushing in his CAREER at the time. You're seriously trying to tell me that Thomas Jones, coming off of 2 straight thousand yard seasons, wasn't worth 6.5 million for the first 2 years of his new deal? Steven Jackson signed a deal last year worth for 44.805 million, or 7.46 million/yr.

Saying Thomas Jones hasn't been worth 6.5 million a year might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, no offense.

The Titans are paying 3.2 million for all 3 of their top RB's combined this coming season... ALL OF THEM... lol

You want to use extremes as examples... I can go all day...

The Titans are paying 3.2 million for all 3 of their top RB's combined this coming season... ALL OF THEM... lol

You want to use extremes as examples... I can go all day...

Except I wasn't citing extremes, like you are with rookie salary, I was citing fair market value contracts for NFL Runningbacks.

Except I wasn't citing extremes, like you are with rookie salary, I was citing fair market value contracts for NFL Runningbacks.
'

Dude you gave examples of Turner (26 at the time) and Jackson (24 or 25 at the time)

Find me a 30-31 year old R that got the money those young guys did...

'

Dude you gave examples of Turner (26 at the time) and Jackson (24 or 25 at the time)

Find me a 30-31 year old R that got the money those young guys did...

Thomas Jones was 28 years old when he signed that contract.

Edgerrin James was 27 years old when he signed his 4 year / 30.5 million (7.625 million per) contract with the Cardinals. Granted, James hasn't lived up to that contract, whereas Jones has, but how is that really any different?

There were plenty of games where leon came out of nowhere in the pile and broke one off for big yards.

Consistency...Most touches he took out of the back field he went no where. You are referring to that one 60 yard run he had... There was a stat last year that when TJ has at least one touchdown in the game Jets won most of the time. Thats consistency. I once believed could carry the rock soley for this team but i realized with TJ he is better off the screen runner or the change of pace back. Besides id rather him not get the ball on every down so that he can remain our punt and kickoff returner.

Thomas Jones was 28 years old when he signed that contract.

Edgerrin James was 27 years old when he signed his 4 year / 30.5 million (7.625 million per) contract with the Cardinals. Granted, James hasn't lived up to that contract, whereas Jones has, but how is that really any different?

Jones was 28 and is living up to his 4 year 20 million contract... why should he get more now?

Now he is 30 going on 31 and due to receive 8 million or so in the next 2 seasons... sounds fair to me...

Jones was 28 and is living up to his 4 year 20 million contract... why should he get more now?

Now he is 30 going on 31 and due to receive 8 million or so in the next 2 seasons... sounds fair to me...

Not really, Jones is due to recieve 1 Million (100K of which he's foregoing by not living up to his workout clause) in REAL MONEY for the remainder of his contract, coming off a year where he led the AFC in Rushing.

The 5.9 million which he is due for 2010 he'll never see with the way his contract is currently written.

Not really, Jones is due to recieve 1 Million (100K of which he's foregoing by not living up to his workout clause) in REAL MONEY for the remainder of his contract, coming off a year where he led the AFC in Rushing.

The 5.9 million which he is due for 2010 he'll never see with the way his contract is currently written.

So because the JETS tossed him more $$$ up front they should now be punished?

How will he not see his money next season?? I thought 6 million was a fair deal??? Will the JETS cut him at that amount???

So because the JETS tossed him more $$$ up front they should now be punished?

If by being punished you mean actually giving a vital part of the teams offense a fair salary for 2009, then yes.

How will he not see his money next season?? I thought 6 million was a fair deal??? Will the JETS cut him at that amount???

Assuming he doesn't show signs of decline in 2009, he would probably be worth about that amount. But that doesn't mean the Jets will continue to pay him that much. The Jets can save a pretty significant amount against the cap if they let him walk and it seems pretty logical that they will and look to replace him with more of a long-term solution at that point (Which will probably come cheaper via the draft).

If by being punished you mean actually giving a vital part of the teams offense a fair salary for 2009, then yes.

Assuming he doesn't show signs of decline in 2009, he would probably be worth about that amount. But that doesn't mean the Jets will continue to pay him that much. The Jets can save a pretty significant amount against the cap if they let him walk and it seems pretty logical that they will and look to replace him with more of a long-term solution at that point (Which will probably come cheaper via the draft).

Exactly... so I am missing the point of why they should give him more money... lol

If anything I think they should take half the money from 2010 and give it to him this year... it will make both years more fair for him and the team..

If anything I think they should take half the money from 2010 and give it to him this year... it will make both years more fair for him and the team..

My first post in this thread.

Why are we going back and forth if we agree?

My first post in this thread.

Why are we going back and forth if we agree?

:lol:

Why not? Drive up the post counts for Max right?

I agree... sorry i did not see that... No more years though... no more guaranteed..

Thomas Jones signed a 4 year, $20M deal. He got a big chunk up front. This is how NFL contracts are designed. Sorry, TJ.

The Jets hold all the cards in this one. What's Jones gonna do? Hold out for 2009? He'd be lucky to get much more than the vet minimum when the Jets cut him in March, 2010 if he pulls that. Meanwhile, the Jets could probably draft a suitable replacement in the fourth round. Let him mope. He puts up another big year in 2009, and he'll either earn the last year of his deal here, or pickup a few million more from someone else.

I remember reading back in February that Rex Ryan is the type of guy who is not going to give a player an extension before either:

A. Their former contract expires

or

B. They have 1 year only remaining on the former contract

So this could get interesting.

I remember reading back in February that Rex Ryan is the type of guy who is not going to give a player an extension before either:

A. Their former contract expires

or

B. They have 1 year only remaining on the former contract

So this could get interesting.

All the more reason to see if he'll restructure for more money up front. Then it's not a new deal, no new money involved, so you're not being hypocritical, but are able to keep him happy.

All the more reason to see if he'll restructure for more money up front. Then it's not a new deal, no new money involved, so you're not being hypocritical, but are able to keep him happy.

Great idea.

Making $900,000 in 2009, $5.9 million in 2010, why not just move up $2 million into 2009? That should make everybody happy, I would think.

Archived