TJ angling for new contract?

BroadwayJoe12

I hate when players do this. You are half way through your current contract and now you want a new one. I like Thomas Jones but I figured he would only be around for a 4 years no more. The front office is better not give him a new contract.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate when players do this. You are half way through your current contract and now you want a new one.

I hate when teams do this. You are halfway through your current contract and now you're out on the street.

I wouldn't give Thomas Jones a cent more than he's owed or a day sooner than he's owed it but the idea that this is his fault for taking the deal as structured rather than ours for offering it is insane.

I hate when players do this. You are half way through your current contract and now you want a new one. I like Thomas Jones but I figured he would only be around for a 4 years no more. The front office is better not give him a new contract.

The f*ing benefit of paying a massive amount up front is for the cap relief on the back end of the deal. You don't get to accept all that cash early and then complain about not getting paid in the down years. It's all part of the reason he got the deal he got with 12 million guaranteed dollars.

A$$HOLE!

I hate when teams do this. You are halfway through your current contract and now you're out on the street.

I wouldn't give Thomas Jones a cent more than he's owed or a day sooner than he's owed it but the idea that this is his fault for taking the deal as structured rather than ours for offering it is insane.

True.

I forgot what player said this, but it's true (to paraphrase):

If the team promises not to cut me or ask me to take a pay cut when I have a bad year then I promise not to ask for a new contract after I have a good year.

Great idea.

Making $900,000 in 2009, $5.9 million in 2010, why not just move up $2 million into 2009? That should make everybody happy, I would think.

Are we obliged to pay him at all in 2010? I was under the impression that we could cut him and not take a cap hit. So if the plan is to part ways after this season (which I hope it is) why give him part of the money the FO never intended to give him in the first place?

Are we obliged to pay him at all in 2010? I was under the impression that we could cut him and not take a cap hit. So if the plan is to part ways after this season (which I hope it is) why give him part of the money the FO never intended to give him in the first place?

I read that no part of Jones remaining contract is guaranteed dollars. We can cut him at any point moving forward with no cap penalty. And yeah, he never sees that 2010 money.

He obviously knows that and wants a new deal becasue he's basically playing this year for us with no insurance policy.

But F that. Tell him we'll get back to you after the season. Play your butt off and we can then renegotiate. And by "renegotiate" I mean cut you.

To keep him happy in 2009 and if he produces in 2009 like he did in 2008 we will for sure be keeping him in 2010 with a possible 2 or 3 year extension.

To keep him happy in 2009 and if he produces in 2009 like he did in 2008 we will for sure be keeping him in 2010 with a possible 2 or 3 year extension.

Yup, nothing like paying players handsomely for past results. :rolleyes:

32 YO running back and contract extension should never be within 100 words of one another.

Yup, nothing like paying players handsomely for past results. :rolleyes:

32 YO running back and contract extension should never be within 100 words of one another.

For most cases, not in Thomas' though. His wear & tear is not even close to that of a 32 year old back even with another 275 carries in 2009, more like a 28 year old back.

For most cases, not in Thomas' though. His wear & tear is not even close to that of a 32 year old back even with another 275 carries in 2009, more like a 28 year old back.

Not so sure. 32 is 32. I don't know how old you are, but trust me your body is not the same at 32 as it is at 28. I can only imaging how the aging increases for a professional football player. Yes these guys are in tip top shape, but the whole fresh legs thing cause TJ was underutilized early is bunk. He still was at practice and working on an NFL team all those years. It has to take it's toll on the body.

I read that no part of Jones remaining contract is guaranteed dollars. We can cut him at any point moving forward with no cap penalty. And yeah, he never sees that 2010 money.

He obviously knows that and wants a new deal becasue he's basically playing this year for us with no insurance policy.

None of the money he is scheduled to make the next 2 years is guaranteed, but that doesn't mean there's no cap penalty for cutting him. There's still the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus remaining on his contract.

We'd take a 3 million cap hit for cutting/trading him (Compared to his 2.5 million cap hit otherwise) this year. We'd actually be losing money against the salary cap by letting him walk right now.

Next year, he counts 7.4 million against the cap, but we'd only take a 1.5 million cap hit for cutting/trading him, making for a potential 5.9 million in cap savings next offseason.

None of the money he is scheduled to make the next 2 years is guaranteed, but that doesn't mean there's no cap penalty for cutting him. There's still the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus remaining on his contract.

We'd take a 3 million cap hit for cutting/trading him (Compared to his 2.5 million cap hit otherwise) this year. We'd actually be losing money against the salary cap by letting him walk right now.

Next year, he counts 7.4 million against the cap, but we'd only take a 1.5 million cap hit for cutting/trading him, making for a potential 5.9 million in cap savings next offseason.

For some reason I thought all of his 12 million dollar bonus was already paid out. Could have just been bad info. Where are you getting your info from?

Exactly. We won't know how important any of it will be until we know what next year's cap is like.

For some reason I thought all of his 12 million dollar bonus was already paid out. Could have just been bad info. Where are you getting your info from?

The bonus was paid out. Even though TJ has the money, for purposes of the salary cap it is pro rated over the life of the contract. Therefore the remaining amount is accelerated if they cut him and it will cost the Jets $500K extra on the cap if they cut him. He holds the cards this year. He knows the Jets aren't going to pay him the balloon next year, so now is the time for him to press the issue. The Jets knew this was coming when they made the deal.

The f*ing benefit of paying a massive amount up front is for the cap relief on the back end of the deal. You don't get to accept all that cash early and then complain about not getting paid in the down years. It's all part of the reason he got the deal he got with 12 million guaranteed dollars.

A$$HOLE!

Agreed.

Also people are only seeing things for the way they play out. Jones accepted the contract this way for a reason that is not apparent today:

If he had a sub-par season in 2008, he would still have a 7-figure paying job in 2009 because he costs more to cut/trade than keep.

So he wants the security of up-front money...

he wants the security of a 3rd year in which no one would cut him...

and then if he wasn't awful in year two he wants a raise.

If that's his attitude he can get lost. He is VERY replaceable. He does absolutely NOTHING great. He's a solid back in a great situation for a RB.

I take it then, that if the OL was sucky again in 2008 that he would not be deserving of a raise? What a load of garbage.

The bonus was paid out. Even though TJ has the money, for purposes of the salary cap it is pro rated over the life of the contract. Therefore the remaining amount is accelerated if they cut him and it will cost the Jets $500K extra on the cap if they cut him. He holds the cards this year. He knows the Jets aren't going to pay him the balloon next year, so now is the time for him to press the issue. The Jets knew this was coming when they made the deal.

He doesn't hold all the cards to my thinking. He is SO cheap that they could keep him as a 3rd stringer for the year & then cut him. Further, the position is easy to find a replacement. Unlike starting CB's or QB's a team can rotate guys in & out without impairing that side of the football.

If done, he could end up a 32 year-old FA who hasn't had a solid season in 2 years.

Comeon, don't use logic. Thomas Jones is supposed to create holes, run through them and then run over people. That is his job! Who the F needs an Offensive Line? OLines are for pussies! ;)

Problem is that Jones is incapable of making something out of nothing.

There is a long list of running backs that can be successful running through gigantic holes. If that's all he can do, why the **** would we pay him more?

He doesn't hold all the cards to my thinking. He is SO cheap that they could keep him as a 3rd stringer for the year & then cut him. Further, the position is easy to find a replacement. Unlike starting CB's or QB's a team can rotate guys in & out without impairing that side of the football.

If done, he could end up a 32 year-old FA who hasn't had a solid season in 2 years.

That's true, but he holds as many cards as he ever will. The Jets had to know that if he were going to grumble about his salary now was the time. I'm not saying he'll win the battle, but either way he is redoing his deal after this season or he'll probably get cut and he'll be a 32 year-old FA who had a solid season in ____________. Fill in the blank. With no QB and no WRs he stands to take a beating this season, so I can't blame him for giving it a shot. It is an optional workout. This isn't a holdout, it's a protest.

They aren't going to cut him, it would cost them money. They aren't going to keep him as their 3rd stringer and sit him because he deserves the carries. Remember '06? Blaylock, Suggs and Barlow? The position isn't quite that easy to fill.

Problem is that Jones is incapable of making something out of nothing.

There is a long list of running backs that can be successful running through gigantic holes. If that's all he can do, why the **** would we pay him more?

Thomas Jones can make things happen plowing foward.

$900,000 is nothing for a starting RB who just led the AFC in rushing and was Top 5 in the NFL in rushing.

I see his point in wanting a new deal and see the Jets point in (most likely) saying no. It should be interesting to see how this develops. We'll know a lot about this, at the latest, by April 26th.

Just an FYI guys...

He just turned 30 last August...

Meaning he'll be 31 this year. 31 years old and in his first five NFL seasons check out the lack of work that he had. He may be turning 31 but he has the wear and tear of a 27 year old. He has three years left in the tank of how he ran in 2008.

Meaning he'll be 31 this year. 31 years old and in his first five NFL seasons check out the lack of work that he had. He may be turning 31 but he has the wear and tear of a 27 year old. He has three years left in the tank of how he ran in 2008.

I was just pointing that out with some people seeming to think he was already 32... he is 30 going on 31...

He still had over 100 carries every year of his career... so its not like he NEVER took a beating (like leon)...

He averages 216 carries per year so far in his career... I dont think that adds any years... not like he sat on the bench for 3 years... he has always played...

He is a 30 year old RB that has the miles of a 30 year old RB...

I was just pointing that out with some people seeming to think he was already 32... he is 30 going on 31...

He still had over 100 carries every year of his career... so its not like he NEVER took a beating (like leon)...

He averages 216 carries per year so far in his career... I dont think that adds any years... not like he sat on the bench for 3 years... he has always played...

He is a 30 year old RB that has the miles of a 30 year old RB...

216 is nothing. That is keeping him at least two years younger and that is just the average, he has had years where is carries were barely 100, that is going to be a lot less wear & tear. You have to account that in the years Leon had 70 some odd carries he also had KR and PR duty too, which TJ never had.

How many years did Curtis have in the tank when he won the rushing title in 2004?

How many years did Curtis have in the tank when he won the rushing title in 2004?

How many carries did Curtis Martin have before winning the rushing title at 31 and going down at age 32 (Jones isn't 32 until the 2010 season).

I'm not counting carries. I'm telling you that he won't slowly fall off. When it happens he will fall off a cliff. No telling when.

But they usually fall off after carrying the load for 9, 10 years which Thomas Jones has not done.

I forgot what player said this, but it's true (to paraphrase):

If the team promises not to cut me or ask me to take a pay cut when I have a bad year then I promise not to ask for a new contract after I have a good year.

I'm a huge proponent of this philosophy, and I have no problem with any player trying to get everything he can. In this case, I think TJ is making a serious mistake.

No thanks.

Highly unlikely that then 32 year old Thomas Jones will get a two or three year extension in 2010. I know all about his low mileage -that's the reason I wouldn't be drafting a RB this year- but once he gets to 32 you can't be looking at keeping him around for much more than the league minimum.

That's true, but he holds as many cards as he ever will. [..]

They aren't going to cut him, it would cost them money. They aren't going to keep him as their 3rd stringer and sit him because he deserves the carries. Remember '06? Blaylock, Suggs and Barlow? The position isn't quite that easy to fill.

I don't think he holds any cards at all. I don't begrudge him trying to get more coming off an AFC rushing title, but I see no reason for the Jets to give it to him. What does he have to threaten them with? A holdout? Seriously? Because he holds out in '09, I can pretty much guarantee you that Leon Washington and [insert cheap RB's name here] can do more than enough to make up his production. Meanwhile, TJ will go from age 31 to 32, having earned or demonstrated nothing in '09, and looking for someone to pay him in '10. What's he looking at there? Probably the league minimum + incentives.

He can mope thru the voluntary workouts, and pass on the $100K (or so) in the process, but in the end it's in his best interest to get on the field and demonstrate he's still effective in '09 so he can collect one last time in '10. Someone needs to tell him that.

everyone here can go back and forth, his scumbag agent rosenhouse got in his head thinking the jets are in a position of weekness with no qb and no wr. Well eff that, bring on the draft! Let's go wr/rb for picks one and two.

17. Knowshon Moreno

52. Louis Murphy OR trade up

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2408

Thomas Jones did not show up to the first day of Jets offseason conditioning.

According to the NY Daily News, Jones is "believed" to want a new contract. It isn't surprising if he does. Jones led the AFC in rushing last season and has only two years left on his deal, with just a $900K salary in '09. Jones turns 31 in August, though, and the Jets are more likely to extend Leon Washington. They could also draft Jones' eventual replacement in April.

Source: New York Daily News

Not at all surprising, but fairly aggravating nonetheless. I'm never one for giving a new contract to players on the wrong side of 30, especially RBs. Granted he has less wear on his tires than most backs his age, but I don't see the smarts in extending him at least until we give Leon a new contract.

I love how the article says he has ONLY 2 years left on his contract. Hello , it's a contract. He should, IMO, get his butt into the work outs, play hard, have a great season THEN start talking extension.

Archived