Why weren't you guys screaming bloody murder to sign TO?

NFLs StepChild

Hell we didn't even need to send draft picks over for him? Could have signed him for 1/2 his worth...

Cutler seems to be showing that he is cut from the same cloth.

One's 25, One's 35.

One's a QB, One's a WR.

FTR, if TO was 25, we'd have been morons to not sign him.

One's 25, One's 35.

One's a QB, One's a WR.

FTR, if TO was 25, we'd have been morons to not sign him.

But they are both elite mercurial players.

TO is a prototype WR we could have gotten at less than market cost. A position just about every team in the NFL is always trying to go get top level talent for.

Cutler is a young QB we would need to give up high draft picks for. Either way we are upgrading the talent at the position. And character flaws seem to not be a part of the equation.

I would have passed on TO at 25 as well ftr. He was a total douchebag then as well. Cancerous players tend to destroy teams. If you get them on the cheap and hold all the cards, you have enough leverage to force them to keep their mouths shut so they can try and cash in later. Either way it's always a short term solution to a long term problem. What happens if Cutlet plays ball for a year or two then has some success and starts in on the demands and begins to dictate the way things are being run. Can you at that point reprimand him or is he too sensitive and feels he is above that.

These types of guys need high maintenence. Be sure you are going to be willing to spite the rest of the team for your superstar if you want to make this move.

TO is a prototype WR we could have gotten at less than market cost. A position just about every team in the NFL is always trying to go get top level talent for.

Cutler is a young QB we would need to give up high draft picks for. Either way we are upgrading the talent at the position. And character flaws seem to not be a part of the equation.

I would have passed on TO at 25 as well ftr. He was a total douchebag then as well. Cancerous players tend to destroy teams. If you get them on the cheap and hold all the cards, you have enough leverage to force them to keep their mouths shut so they can try and cash in later. Either way it's always a short term solution to a long term problem. What happens if Cutlet plays ball for a year or two then has some success and starts in on the demands and begins to dictate the way things are being run. Can you at that point reprimand him or is he too sensitive and feels he is above that.

These types of guys need high maintenence. Be sure you are going to be willing to spite the rest of the team for your superstar if you want to make this move.

I missed the part where a single coach or player or member of the FO in Denver from 2006-2008, by words or by actions, even slightly alluded to Jay Cutler as a team cancer.

Your comparison fails, because Cutler projects to be our high level starting QB for 10 years while TO projects to be our high level WR talent for 1 maybe 2 years.

The investments are quite different.

Further, Jay Cutler 'whined' for 3 weeks in one offseason, while TO has been doing it for years on multiple teams. Cutler has a high opinion of himself (which is a good thing for a top level athlete) and has a new coach that doesn't respect his abilities it seems, so he wants out. Sure, he's not handling it as well as others could, but he's not a TO like guy.

And for all of TO's flaws, he brought many teams to very close to championships. Maybe he never won, but it takes more than 1 WR to win a championship. Perhaps, if a little dissent is your problem, you should turn towards Cleveland... their coach is big on 'football guys' like Eric Smith and Anthony Schlegal. No problem trading away your teams most talented players like John Abraham or Kellen Winslow.

Listen, you're not pulling a fast one... I get what you're doing, you're just doing it well. I think most people will take a prima donna superstar over a church going special teamer any day.

I missed the part where a single coach or player or member of the FO in Denver from 2006-2008, by words or by actions, even slightly alluded to Jay Cutler as a team cancer.

Same here.

When has Jay Cutler once went out and spoken like a moron against his own team?

Not once.

If I'm Jay Cutler I would've requested a trade to if I knew my team was trying to bring in someone else and then the Head Coach doesn't tell me that I'm his guy. I then would think (like Jay is currently thinking) that this "marriage" is going to end in 2 or 3 years anyway when his contract expires so why would I want to stay here and deal with that when I could get dealt to a place that actually wants me?

Jay Cutler is not wrong for requesting a trade. Not at all.

Hell we didn't even need to send draft picks over for him? Could have signed him for 1/2 his worth...

Cutler seems to be showing that he is cut from the same cloth.

I'm not sure how to take your posts yet. Are you being serious or asking questions to get response up? Are you being devils advocate here? If you're asking a serious question about not getting TO, then I would say what everyone else has been saying. Too old, too much of a loud mouth, and drops too many balls now a days. Not to mention he would need a very strong team to keep him in line.

Us going after Cutler is a bit different. We need a qb, however I kind of would like to see what we have already. The bad part about that is, if you find out that brett 2.0 and Kellen have nothing, our season is going to be a rough one. I'm surprised we haven't made a push for leftwich.

I'm not sure how to take your posts yet. Are you being serious or asking questions to get response up? Are you being devils advocate here? .

Good read. I am just trying to get the thought out there about taking guys devisive to your team. Pointing out that both are basically troublemakers and why would you want that fing up the clubhouse (all the issues with TO)? If tha answer is just "because he's a QB", that's not good enough for me. The ridiculous outcry for this guy is absurd. Yes he has potential and yes he can help us win. BUT there is a lot to dislike here as well. And yet everyone wants to ignore that and jump in with both feet.

This is a guy who has been reported as a divisive lockerroom guy and was not well liked by his teammates. Plummer publicly compared him to Jeff George. Other teams players comment on how this guy is no good. Call it sour grapes if you need to, but most players in the NFL community don't speak out against their own unles it is warranted.

The concern with the diabetes potentially shortening his career anywhere from 5-10 years down the road. It can be controlled well by all accounts for the short term and it won't be an issue, but as he ages it becomes harder to manage as I understand it.

Then there is the ego. And lets be honest that won't play well here. Bad decisions are magnified 100X over and if he is what he is in that regard it will not be a marriage made in heaven for this little diva. He will bristle when called out and the press and fans will crucify him. He will likely not be interested in playing games close to the vest and just settling for the wins. This guy needs the limelight and he's gonna want to sling it. I think Jets fans on the whole want a suffocating defense and tremendous ground game at least that is what I had been wanting and hearing the same thing from other fans for years. Having a top QB is great, but we don't want the greatest show on turf out there, we want to win handily and with great defense suffocating the other team out while we own TOP. Rex wants exactly that too. If you can tell me Cutler is signed up for that and won't get in Rex's way. Yeah he's worth pursuing. But he's not John Elway and he's just not worth the farm.

This is a guy who has been reported as a divisive lockerroom guy and was not well liked by his teammates. Plummer publicly compared him to Jeff George. Other teams players comment on how this guy is no good. Call it sour grapes if you need to, but most players in the NFL community don't speak out against their own unles it is warranted.

Link?

I can't take what Plummer said seriously because he was benched in favor of Cutler and obviously was very sour about the situation.

I've never read anything about other teammates questioning his ability or not liking him.

In fact, I seem to remember players coming out and actively campaigning to Shanahan for Cutler to start as a rookie.

Good read. I am just trying to get the thought out there about taking guys devisive to your team. Pointing out that both are basically troublemakers and why would you want that fing up the clubhouse (all the issues with TO)?

One guy doesn't want to play for a coach who is so stupid that he'd rather have Matt Cassel than Jay Cutler. The other guy exhibits over a dozen symptoms of serious personality disorder. What is the purpose of lumping these two together under the umbrella of 'basically troublemakers?' Cui bono?

Archived