CB Samari Rolle to vist Jets ~ ProFootballTalk

Those of you that wouldn't part ways with a ****ing CORNERBACK to get a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK, see a Super Bowl DVD.

Cutler is NOT that guy fror us. Are we suppose to totally abandon our offensive plans if we get Cutler. Get O line people who are primary pass blockers and not run maulers? Pick up 1-2 prime WR's for him to throw to ? It's a little late for that now.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cutler is NOT that guy fror us. Are we suppose to totally abandon our offensive plans if we get Cutler. Get O line people who are primary pass blockers and not run maulers? Pick up 1-2 prime WR's for him to throw to ? It's a little late for that now.

What exactly are our offensive plans?

To have a young QB that hasn't accomplished anything outside of college throw to a #2 receiver and three other guys that haven't done jack ****?

Yes, why would we want to get an elite QB and totally **** up our plans of winning games 6 to 3.

To have a young QB that hasn't accomplished anything outside of college throw to a #2 receiver and three other guys that haven't done jack ****?

Yes, why would we want to get an elite QB and totally **** up our plans of winning games 6 to 3.

lol

Cutler elite ? Sorry Troll but I honestly don't think I'd call him elite. Potential ? Yes but every rummy who's flunked out of the NFL HAD potential at one time. ::GoJets:

I still wouldn't do it. I'd rather keep Revis and draft a QB if that were the case. If Revis isn't in the discussion, though, we need to get Cutler now and give him more time to learn the playbook rather than doing what we did with Favre.

A LOT of QBs get drafted, but very few ever get to be as good as Jay Cutler. We could draft a QB the next ten years and never end up with a QB as good as Cutler. ****, we haven't had one as good as Cutler in FORTY ****ing years!

But, that's okay. Let's keep a cornerback. Cornerbacks win championships.

Cutler elite ? Sorry Troll but I honestly don't think I'd call him elite. Potential ? Yes but every rummy who's flunked out of the NFL HAD potential at one time. ::GoJets:

4,500 yards and 25 TDs, all while having a never-ending revolving door at RB.

I'd say that's pretty damn elite.

A LOT of QBs get drafted, but very few ever get to be as good as Jay Cutler. We could draft a QB the next ten years and never end up with a QB as good as Cutler. ****, we haven't had one as good as Cutler in FORTY ****ing years!

But, that's okay. Let's keep a cornerback. Cornerbacks win championships.

Very true. But I guess Jets fans has figured out from all this teams success over the last 40 years that a franchise QB is not a necessity..

He's a CORNERBACK.

Assomuagha out in Oakland is unquestionably the best CB in football, and where exactly has that got the Raiders? If you look at recent Super Bowl champions, they had a pretty sorry list of starting corners.

Revis is a good player, but he is not worth Cutler. It's not even the same ballpark. You can win championships with subpar corners. Subpar QBs is a different story.

Exactly.

Not to mention with Asomougha's new deal Revis (who has only 2009 & 2010 left under his current contract) is going to command $15 million per season and do you think the Jets are going to be willing to shell out that kind of money? I would be all for signing Rolle and trading Revis away for Cutler. If you wouldn't want to do that, you're nuts.

I'd much rather have a franchise QB than a franchise CB.

Exactly.

Not to mention with Asomougha's new deal Revis (who has only 2009 & 2010 left under his current contract) is going to command $15 million per season and do you think the Jets are going to be willing to shell out that kind of money? I would be all for signing Rolle and trading Revis away for Cutler. If you wouldn't want to do that, you're nuts.

I'd much rather have a franchise QB than a franchise CB.

The JETS also waived the rights to franchise Revis... so it is going to be a big huge expensive deal after next year... ugh...

The JETS also waived the rights to franchise Revis... so it is going to be a big huge expensive deal after next year... ugh...

Wait, what? They did? How could they do that this early?

All I knew was that he signed a 6 year, $36 million deal that went down to 4 years, $20 million based on playing time in his rookie season which he reached. I never heard that they put a clause in his contract that they cannot use the Franchise Tag on him. This is news to me. Do you have a link brother?

Wait, what? They did? How could they do that this early?

All I knew was that he signed a 6 year, $36 million deal that went down to 4 years, $20 million based on playing time in his rookie season which he reached. I never heard that they put a clause in his contract that they cannot use the Franchise Tag on him. This is news to me. Do you have a link brother?

http://www.nyjetscap.com/darrellerevis.html

Wow.

At least we can buy back the final two years of the deal for $5 million in 2011 and $9-12 million in 2012.

Yeah Revis has one hell of an agent though... imagine the contract he will get now that he is proven... he got all of that as a rookie who never played a snap...

Yeah Revis has one hell of an agent though... imagine the contract he will get now that he is proven... he got all of that as a rookie who never played a snap...

Don't have to worry about that until 2012 as long as we buy back the years.

Either way, it would be something along the lines of 5 years, $70 million.

Those of you that wouldn't part ways with a ****ing CORNERBACK to get a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK, see a Super Bowl DVD.

You don't need a star at the QB positon to win a SB. However, you do need a F'ing dominating defense.

You don't need a star at the QB positon to win a SB. However, you do need a F'ing dominating defense.

The only teams who win with sub-par QB's are the ones with the #1 Defenses in the NFL that year and those defenses are also discussed as one of the best defenses in NFL History (the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers). Other than those teams, who has won with **** at Quarterback?

You don't need a dominating defense to win a championship if you have a star QB, you just need a defense who can bend but doesn't break when it matters most.

Who was the Steelers star CB... do not use google...

Bryant McFadden who landed a nice 2 year, $10 million deal with Arizona. :)

Or would you rather like to talk about the stud that is Ike Taylor or Deshea Townsend?

The only teams who win with sub-par QB's are the ones with the #1 Defenses in the NFL that year and those defenses are also discussed as one of the best defenses in NFL History (the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers). Other than those teams, who has won with **** at Quarterback?

You don't need a dominating defense to win a championship if you have a star QB, you just need a defense who can bend but doesn't break when it matters most.

You need both... a good/great QB and a dominating defense IMO.. .otherwise your just an average team...

The two most dominating defenses I've seen in my lifetime have accumulated exactly 2 SB win's between them (85 bears, 00 Ravens)

The two best QB's I've seen have won considerably more..

You need both... a good/great QB and a dominating defense IMO.. .otherwise your just an average team...

New England didn't have a dominating defense in 2003 or 2004 when they won the Super Bowl.

Nor did the 2006 Indianapolis Colts.

They won with star QB's and defenses who bent, but didn't break when it mattered most.

The two most dominating defenses I've seen in my lifetime have accumulated exactly 2 SB win's between them (85 bears, 00 Ravens)

Very true. Very, very true.

The Colts are the only team since 2000 to win it all that was an "offense first" team...

Thats why I think you need both a stud QB and a solid if not great D...

The Colts are the only team since 2000 to win it all that was an "offense first" team...

Thats why I think you need both a stud QB and a solid if not great D...

WHAT!?

The 2003 & 2004 New England Patriots were offense first teams.

WHAT!?

The 2003 & 2004 New England Patriots were offense first teams.

2003 Pats had the #1 defense and the #12 offense...

2004 Pats had the #2 defense and the #4 offense...

07' was the first time they tried to win ti all with offense first... and failed.

2003 Pats had the #1 defense and the #12 offense...

2004 Pats had the #2 defense and the #4 offense...

07' was the first time they tried to win ti all with offense first... and failed.

#1 and #2 Defenses in what?

The 2003 & 2004 New England Patriots won with offense first.

#1 and #2 Defenses in what?

The 2003 & 2004 New England Patriots won with offense first.

Both those rating.. .O and D are based on points... Their D was always more dominant than their O...

Fits my point though.. you still need a great QB to lead you...

Still less than what he would make under contract. :P

Yes, but the first 5 years would be less. He certainly wouldn't have had a $6M roster bonus in the middle of a rookie contract if Tannenbaum didn't get cute.

Going rate was 5 years for about $12.5M-14M total. Revis got 6 years $32-36M because Tannenbaum insisted on that 6th year.

4,500 yards and 25 TDs, all while having a never-ending revolving door at RB.

I'd say that's pretty damn elite.

You left out the 18 picks (2nd in the league...guess who was first). Also his QB rating of 86.0 was only okay, not elite.

By comparison, here is Kenny O'Brien in 1985:

3,888 yards, 25 TDs, 8 INTs, Rating: 96.2 <=== elite

Here is Vinnie's 1998 season:

3,256 yards, 29 TDs, 7 INTs, Rating: 101.6 <=== elite

Want to know who's season Cutler's most closely resembles? Another Denver QB. Not Elway...

4,089 yards, 27 TDs, 20 INTs, Rating: 84.5 <=== Jake Plummer

Sorry...I like Cutler's potential for a 3rd year QB, but in no way does he deserve the 'elite' label yet - particularly since he's done nothing in the post-season. He might be a top-12 QB now and grow into a top-5 QB soon. Revis is a top-5 CB right now and should stay there for a long time to come.

I don't make that trade.

speaking of the '85 bears defense......y'think buddy will be in on some of the scheming this year with rex? it's exciting the think that, at the very least, we should have an innovative, punishing defense this year......run by some great defensive football minds.

You left out the 18 picks (2nd in the league...guess who was first). Also his QB rating of 86.0 was only okay, not elite.

~ Jay Cutler threw the 2nd most pass attempts in the NFL (over 600), so having 18 interceptions isn't bad at all. His percentage of INT's in pass attempts is one of the lowest in the NFL.

~ QB rating means NOTHING. If that statistic meant anything, Chad Pennington would still be the Jets QB and we would've forgotton who Joe Namath was because Chad would've won us 3, 4 Super Bowls.

Archived