CB Samari Rolle to vist Jets ~ ProFootballTalk

Cutler IS a franchise QB. Period. End of discussion. Cutler is better than Roethlisberger. Cutler does not have the running game or defense Roethlisberger does though. At this point in his career/health, he's better than Palmer too.

There is absolutely no way in friggen hell you'd take Eli Manning over Cutler. No way. Ryan? I wouldn't, and I definitely would NOT take Rivers.

I don't believe you are in the majority here but it's all just opinions anyway and we all know what those are worth :)

And yes...taking the personal stuff into account, and the potential health issues with the diabetes and a few other things, I like the other guys' long-term potential a bit more. If Cutler's playing the Terrell Owens game now going into just his 4th season, what's he going to be like 2 years down the road. I agree he has the potential to turn out to be great, but I'm not sold on it. He has a lot to prove beyond just that he can throw for 4,500 yards in over 600 attempts because his defense sucked. I think Revis is as close to a lock for perennial all-pro at CB as anyone in the league.

If you think Cutler is a top-5 QB right now (and it seems you do) then the trade would make sense for you. I have him knocking at the top-10 so it doesn't for me. Would you trade Revis for your 10th best-rated QB (whoever he is)?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you think Cutler is a top-5 QB right now (and it seems you do) then the trade would make sense for you. I have him knocking at the top-10 so it doesn't for me.

Good luck.

Here are the QB's I would take over Cutler:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Carson Palmer

Ben Rothelisberger

It's tough, if I was running a football team, Manning is too old to take over Cutler. Brady too old and a little questionable with the knee. Brees, meh.. Palmer seems to have fallen off the map, and I think Big Ben is real good, but I don't think he'd be perceived as well if he was on a team like Denver..

I'd want Rivers over Cutler for sure. I'd think long and hard about Ryan and Flacco. Romo is similiar to Cutler but with a better team around him and a little older. Rodgers is someone I may consider.

I don't know, I think Cutler is definitely one of the top 3-5 guys I'd want to trade for today. If I had to win a single game, my answer would obviously be different, but as someone to trade for, there aren't many better options imo..

Here are the QB's I would take over Cutler:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Carson Palmer

Ben Rothelisberger

My top 5 - same order.

Add Rivers, Eli and Ryan for certain. Why? Because they show as much potential and none of the emotional baggage. That's 8.

Now we come to Cutler and Romo and as someone said, they share a lot of the same traits. Great potential...some off-field distractions...not clutch performers yet. That's a pick-em.

So leaving out Flacco (not sold on him yet), Cassel (same), McNabb (not sure he has 5 great years left), Warner (same) and Russell (haven't seen anything yet), Cutler is still no better than 9th of the QBs I'd want straight up.

BTW, Chan, Peyton should have at least 5-6 more elite years in him. Marino, Favre and Elway went longer than that at high levels. He's still the top QB in the league in my book and is the textbook definition of a franchise QB today.

My top 5 - same order.

Add Rivers, Eli and Ryan for certain. Why? Because they show as much potential and none of the emotional baggage. That's 8.

Now we come to Cutler and Romo and as someone said, they share a lot of the same traits. Great potential...some off-field distractions...not clutch performers yet. That's a pick-em.

So leaving out Flacco (not sold on him yet), Cassel (same), McNabb (not sure he has 5 great years left), Warner (same) and Russell (haven't seen anything yet), Cutler is still no better than 9th of the QBs I'd want straight up.

BTW, Chan, Peyton should have at least 5-6 more elite years in him. Marino, Favre and Elway went longer than that at high levels. He's still the top QB in the league in my book and is the textbook definition of a franchise QB today.

Wait a minute, no clutch performances. When this disgusting Broncos team was 8-5 on Cutler's back(his 4,500 yards and 25TDs), their top rusher ran for 300 yards, and Cutler ran for 200!and their defense is miserable.

whjen they were 8-5 the defense let up 30,30, and 52, in the las three games, Cutler threw for over 300 in two of those games.

What big games does he NOT show up for? He, in fact, puts 21 guys on his back, is what I see.

second, emotional problems? Demetrius Dolp[fag had emotional problems, Ryan Leaf, Ricky williams, mike tyson, emotional problems, Cutler is a young guy who knows how good he is and wants to play, not unlike EVERY other great player in the league.

He's better than Rothlesburger, Brady's knee is shot, Peyton's old, Brees(great comeback story, but also old and already cut open.) Romo(distractions).

Listen to anyone analyze Cutler. The guy is special. Please recognize this, don't let emotions get in the way. Go strictly on numbers. Cutlers first 2 full years vs anyone.

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Big Ben

Carson Palmer

Those are the guys I take over Cutler all things being equal.

Manning is 33 but he is still a no brainer over Cutler.

Brady would be a no brainer outside of that little injury that he had. I think he will come back big time but nobody will know for sure until he hits the field. If he wasn't Tom Brady I would have no interest in a 32 year old who just missed an entire season with a major injury.

Brees I take over Cutler in a heartbeat... and he is only 30 and hasn't missed a start in 5 years.

Rivers I take over Cutler and I may be in the minority. People were ripping me apart when I was suggesting giving up a 1st and 3rd for him back when Brees was being shopped.

Carson Palmer - If healthy I take him over Cutler. Great tools and is proven at this level.

Big Ben - Young, great physical tools, proven winner (with major help from that D). I think Cutler has a higher upside but until he proves so I take Big Ben.

There are 7 QBs currently in this league that I take over Cutler... 2 of which are coming off injury seasons and 1 who is 33 already. When factoring in injury status and age he is certainly in my top 5 for a long term solution at QB.

I don't think he's even available

we may get a blip of news from the owners meetings, but if there aren't serious rumors (as in the espn bottom line ticker) tonight, this whole thing will be much ado about nothing

and if he stays, please don't flame tanny for not trying or offfering enough

Bowlen has a PR nighmare on his hands. He canned shanny because they hadn't been to the playoffs in a decade, so mcdaniels has to get there this year

that's why they flirted with cassell in the first place

he can't start mcdaneils off with a rookie, and quinn ? nah

cutler may get a new deal, but I highly doubt he gets traded

bus cooks attempt to make bowlen look bad with the whole coaching staff thing backfired (cutler quotes surfaced about being happy with the staff the day they were announced ) , and I haven't heard **** since

this whole thing is losing steam

Guys...this isn't a case of trading a franchise CB for a franchise QB.

Revis IS a franchise CB right now. He's top 5 in the league and arguably top 3 in many people's minds.

Cutler is a POTENTIAL franchise QB right now. He's shown flashes but has not delivered consistently the way the top QBs in the league do.

Franchise QBs include Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, Palmer for starters. You could include Ryan, Eli and Rivers as guys I'd want over Cutler just based on similar potential and less baggage. Even Romo might make that list.

That puts Cutler as 10th most attractive QB option AT BEST for me right now. Better than what we have on the roster? Most probably, but I don't do this trade.

:sign0098: Nice post. IMO as well Cutler is NOT a franchise QB at this time.

I don't agree. Manning is 33 and has been on a steady decline since his peak year in 2004. This about fits the model. Of course he's still a very good QB, but I wouldn't bet he'll be still be a top guy in 3 years time..

Anyway.

It's kind of unfortunate that this turned into a Cutler thread because Rolle is actually worth talking about. Before he got hurt last year he was allowing 4 Y/A on sub-50% completions. If he's healthy and his play doesn't fall off a cliff, this could be a pretty good signing.

Anyway.

It's kind of unfortunate that this turned into a Cutler thread because Rolle is actually worth talking about. Before he got hurt last year he was allowing 4 Y/A on sub-50% completions. If he's healthy and his play doesn't fall off a cliff, this could be a pretty good signing.

where do you get that data?

Anyway.

Back on topic, guys!

The problem is that Rolle's career here was 60/40 in terms of overcoming health obstacles to good play on the field, he'll be 33 by the time the season starts, and that's not generally an age where epileptics with neck, groin, and hip problems tend to get healthier. Though it's still a good idea simply for Lito insurance, he's a good character guy who can still play when his body isn't giving him problems.

The problem is that Rolle's career here was 60/40 in terms of overcoming health obstacles to good play on the field, he'll be 33 by the time the season starts, and that's not generally an age where epileptics with neck, groin, and hip problems tend to get healthier. Though it's still a good idea simply for Lito insurance, he's a good character guy who can still play when his body isn't giving him problems.

Huh. Last night it was 75/25. Evidently his health is declining more quickly than I had thought. Obviously it's a concern but if it wasn't we wouldn't be his only option. Sheppard and Lowery are both awful. Ten games of Rolle is more than worth our while.

Huh. Last night it was 75/25. Evidently his health is declining more quickly than I had thought. Obviously it's a concern but if it wasn't we wouldn't be his only option. Sheppard and Lowery are both awful. Ten games of Rolle is more than worth our while.

Awful? Really?

I mean, I guess I can understand if you are saying that about Lito...I dont think he is awful, but I could see the case.

Lowery? Thats kind of harsh assessment for a 4th round pick after his rookie season. He had his moments both good and bad, but calling him awful after his rookie season seems a bit dramatic IMO.

Awful? Really?

No. Not really. Lito is just mediocre, but mediocre isn't worth the variance that comes with having his value depend almost exclusively on gambling for picks. Lowery is awful. He will get better but I really don't see much long-term potential there. Man coverage generally isn't an area where you'll see a player improve by leaps and bounds after his rookie year.

No. Not really. Lito is just mediocre, but mediocre isn't worth the variance that comes with having his value depend almost exclusively on gambling for picks. Lowery is awful. He will get better but I really don't see much long-term potential there. Man coverage generally isn't an area where you'll see a player improve by leaps and bounds after his rookie year.

Good point. We shall see. I could see Lowery having a long-term career playing nickel or dime....but dont think he will ever be a #2 CB.

I am just hoping Lito has a resurgence with a new air in NY, but lets be honest, has that ever happened in the Jets favor???

Good point. We shall see. I could see Lowery having a long-term career playing nickel or dime....but dont think he will ever be a #2 CB.

I am just hoping Lito has a resurgence with a new air in NY, but lets be honest, has that ever happened in the Jets favor???

Sadly no :( , but there's a first time for everything. :biggrin:

Who was the Steelers star CB... do not use google...

i think it's safe to say it certainly wasn't Roethlisberger, just to be devil's advocate, and also because I think the advantage Revis gives us is absolutely immeasurable, He is a SHUT-DOWN CORNER. Cutler, as much as I think we DEFINITELY would have a great need for him, He ISN'T PROVEN AT ALL TO BE A WINNER, blah blah excuses, no RB's, and whatever else, but what this is really all about is not whether a star CB is better than a star QB, but rather,

IS REVIS A BETTER PLAYER THAN CUTLER!!!!! (and then eventually, is Revis a FAIR trade amongst other things we'd have to give up to the broncos for CUTLER)

and In My Own Humble Opinion, Revis is by far better and PROVEN

J

E

T

S!!

i think it's safe to say it certainly wasn't Roethlisberger, just to be devil's advocate, and also because I think the advantage Revis gives us is absolutely immeasurable, He is a SHUT-DOWN CORNER. Cutler, as much as I think we DEFINITELY would have a great need for him, He ISN'T PROVEN AT ALL TO BE A WINNER, blah blah excuses, no RB's, and whatever else, but what this is really all about is not whether a star CB is better than a star QB, but rather,

IS REVIS A BETTER PLAYER THAN CUTLER!!!!! (and then eventually, is Revis a FAIR trade amongst other things we'd have to give up to the broncos for CUTLER)

and In My Own Humble Opinion, Revis is by far better and PROVEN

J

E

T

S!!

Yet, somehow, with "Christ in Cleats" Revis patrolling our secondary, we managed to finish 27th in the league in pass defense.

Look, he's a good player, but his impact in minimal. If we had the option to trade him for Jay Cutler and refused, then we'd deserve another forty years of misery.

Archived