Yankees dispatch Hughes, three others to minors

JetNation

You develop major league baseball pitchers by letting them pitch in major league baseball.

AAA does not develop young pitching. It onaly takes it so far. You have to let them take their lumps, and they are going to get lumps. No way around it.

The Mets hung with Pelfrey, and are bing rewarded nicely. But you have to take a little risk, in order to gather the gain.

Or, you just keep signing FA pitchers.

You win Championships by....

ah, nevermind you aren't concerned with what it takes to win Championships.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING, you can never have enough of it. The idea the signing of AJ Burnett tells you what the Yankees feel about Hughes is a bunch of non sense. No one ever goes through a season with all 5 starters healthy, and Andy Pettitte will not be around forever, someone needs to replace him when he retires. He's 22 years old for God sake.

PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING, you can never have enough of it. The idea the signing of AJ Burnett tells you what the Yankees feel about Hughes is a bunch of non sense. No one ever goes through a season with all 5 starters healthy, and Andy Pettitte will not be around forever, someone needs to replace him when he retires. He's 22 years old for God sake.

22 was teh age the Mets allowed Pelfrey to sink or swim.

Sometimes, you have to take the training wheels off and find out about someone.

if this kid has all the talent you and others say he has, sticking im in AAA at this time serves very little purpose.

I will complete it for you...Developing players.

Which the Yankees aren't allowing to happen, and the reason why they haven't won a said championship in almost a decade.

Gotcha.

Tell me, why are the Yankees still letting Cano develop? and why are they even going to bother with Chamberlain, he's not a proven starter, and how Wang? Didn't they let him develop into a solid top of the rotation pitcher? They also gave Melky Cabrera all the chance in the world to play in CF, now there going to give Brett Gardner a chance, and if he doesn't pan out, then ANOTHER homegrown player, in Austin Jackson will get a shot.

I wonder why they are letting Cano, Chamberlain, and Wang develop. It also appears they let Cabrera develop, and it didn't work. Now there giving another home grown player, in Brett Gardner, and if that doesn't work, they'll let ANOTHER home grown player, by the name of Austin Jackson.

I'm enjoying watching you school him. Keep it coming.

Tell me, why are the Yankees still letting Cano develop? and why are they even going to bother with Chamberlain, he's not a proven starter, and how Wang? Didn't they let him develop into a solid top of the rotation pitcher? They also gave Melky Cabrera all the chance in the world to play in CF, now there going to give Brett Gardner a chance, and if he doesn't pan out, then Austin Jackson will get a shot.

Position players are differnt than pitchers.

We were clearly talking pitchers here, and they have a differnt learning curve that position players.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Yes they did it with Wang. That is my point exactly. It tells you what they think about Hughes, and where his development is, that they had to go get an AJ Burnett.

That was my very original point.

I'm enjoying watching you school him. Keep it coming.

The idea the Yankees don't develop players is ridiculous. We clearly haven't done as well with position players, like Red Sox have, but we have our share. Hopefully Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero pan out.

Position players are differnt than pitchers.

We were clearly talking pitchers here, and they have a differnt learning curve that position players.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Yes they did it with Wang. That is my point exactly. It tells you what they think about Hughes, and where his development is, that they had to go get an AJ Burnett.

That was my very original point.

Ummm... the Red Sox rotation will have what, zero home grown players in it?

EDIT: Are you even a Red Sox fan, I forget.

The idea the Yankees don't develop players is ridiculous. We clearly haven't done as well with position players, like Red Sox have, but we have our share. Hopefully Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero pan out.

You are talking apples vs oranges when comparing position player development vs pitcher development.

You are talking apples vs oranges when comparing position player development vs pitcher development.

Yankees pitching depth in the minors is one of the best. I will openly admit when it comes to position players, the Yankees are thin, but pitching is a different story. I think the Yankees made a decision 3-4 years ago to draft and sign as many power arms as possible, even if it effects other positions.

Yankees pitching depth in the minors is one of the best. I will openly admit when it comes to position players, the Yankees are thin, but pitching is a different story. I think the Yankees made a decision 3-4 years ago to draft and sign as many power arms as possible, even if it effects other positions.

Talking about pitching depth in the minors is like a 12 year old talking about the numbers of women he will "bed" when he finally reaches puberty

Talking about pitching depth in the minors is like a 12 year old talking about the numbers of women he will "bed" when he finally reaches puberty

What are we talking about then? Joba Chamberlain is already in the rotation, Phil Coke is already a big part of our bullpen, as well as Edwar Ramirez, David Robertson. We have plenty of young pitching on this team. Mark Melancon should probably make the team out of ST, but I'm sure they'll give him a little more time at AAA. Then there's obviously Phil Hughes, who gives us depth in the rotation.

Phil Hughes

He's 22 years old, and was probably rushed in the first place. Signing AJ Burnett shows nothing. They had $80+ million come off the books, and YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PITCHING. + We didn't know Andy Pettitte was coming back when we signed Burnett.

EDIT: Why didn't I think about Pettitte in the first place, that totally wins the arguement. Andy Pettitte said no to $5/1 yr, we waited the longest time for him to sign, so we clearly had no idea what direction he was going. I remember most people writing him off and filling in this rotation:

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett

Chamberlain

Hughes

GAME, SET, MATCH

He's 22 years old, and was probably rushed in the first place. Signing AJ Burnett shows nothing. They had $80+ million come off the books, and YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PITCHING.

Hmmmm, as a club, would I rather have a low cost up-and-coming youngster or an expensive FA veteran?

Hmmmmmm.

Easy decision if you believed in that youngster.

the Yankees actions somewhat show a disbelief in that youngster. The guy that was supposed to be a "given".

Hmmmm, as a club, would I rather have a low cost up-and-coming youngster or an expensive FA veteran?

Hmmmmmm.

Easy decision if you believed in that youngster.

the Yankees actions somewhat show a disbelief in that youngster. The guy that was supposed to be a "given".

Read my edit.

My statement works plugging Pettitte into the formula as well.

Right, because not signing Pettite would of been a good idea. It's called depth, every team should have it. If you don't, you'll get burned. I guess the Red Sox signing Penny and Smoltz shows you what they think of Buchholz and Bowden.

Right, because not signing Pettite would of been a good idea. It's called depth, every team should have it. If you don't, you'll get burned. I guess the Red Sox signing Penny and Smoltz shows you what they think of Buchholz and Bowden.

I can't speak to the Red Sox, and I was talking about Phillip Hughes.

yeah, signing Pettitte was a tremendous show of confidence in Hughes and the minor league "depth".

I can't speak to the Red Sox, and I was talking about Phillip Hughes.

yeah, signing Pettitte was a tremendous show of confidence in Hughes and the minor league "depth".

Not trading Hughes for Johan Santana wasn't enough show of confidence for you? The Yankees have held on to Hughes for a reason, there was requests for him this off-season, and of course they shot them down. Considering how low his stock was this off season, selling low on Hughes would of been a really stupid thing to do, kinda like what they did with Jose Tabata. He's going to being given an opportunity WHEN someone goes down, and the fact he isn't in the rotation right now shows you how good the Yankees rotation really is.

Not trading Hughes for Johan Santana wasn't enough show of confidence for you? The Yankees have held on to Hughes for a reason, there was requests for him this off-season, and of course they shot them down. Considering how low his stock was this off season, selling low on Hughes would of been a really stupid thing to do, kinda like what they did with Jose Tabata. He's going to being given an opportunity WHEN someone goes down, and the fact he isn't in the rotation right now shows you how good the Yankees rotation really is.

I will say it makes a statement when the "jewel" of your "deep" farm system can't be counted on to improve upon a 4.54 era and a 1.41 WHIP.

The Santana trade was spurned 2 off seasons ago.

If theh Yankees had a "do-over", they would jump at that deal in a heart beat. To say differently is just being stubborn.

I will say it makes a statement when the "jewel" of your "deep" farm system can't be counted on to improve upon a 4.54 era and a 1.41 WHIP.

The Santana trade was spurned 2 off seasons ago.

If theh Yankees had a "do-over", they would jump at that deal in a heart beat. To say differently is just being stubborn.

Or smart.

The Yankees now have Sabathia, Hughes and other the prospects that would have been included in the deal instead of just Santana. Anyone with a quarter of a brain takes that every day of the week.

Or smart.

The Yankees now have Sabathia, Hughes and other the prospects that would have been included in the deal instead of just Santana. Anyone with a quarter of a brain takes that every day of the week.

If Hughes had shown everything the Yankee fans were saying about him, there would be no reason for Burnett or Pettiite.

Again, it is back to my original point.

If Hughes had shown everything the Yankee fans were saying about him, there would be no reason for Burnett or Pettiite.

Again, it is back to my original point.

That isn't entirely accurate. Hughes has shown a lot, which is why Cash and the FO want to hold onto him. His fastball has regained the velocity he had before his oblique injury, he's throwing it with more movement and for strikes, it's not as flat as it was last year when he was getting hit hard and his knuckle curve is looking solid.

He is still only 22 years old (turns 23 in the summer), he has plenty of years to turn into the beginning of a rotation type of pitcher we all expect. He's staying in the minors and he will most likely get a handful of starts at the end of the year, which is something that is seen quite often in these young stud pitchers.

Look at how Johan Santana was groomed; although I don't advocate Hughes coming out of the pen in long relief like Santana was. I feel a full year in AAA will serve him well.

21 years old: 2-3, 86 ip, 6.49 era

22 years old: 1-0, 43.7 ip, 4.74 era

He started to perform at a very high level at 23 years old, although he wasn't allowed to start more than 18 games until he was 25.

I really don't see how you'd rather have Santana, than Sabathia + Hughes + the plethora of other prospects.

That isn't entirely accurate. Hughes has shown a lot, which is why Cash and the FO want to hold onto him. His fastball has regained the velocity he had before his oblique injury, he's throwing it with more movement and for strikes, it's not as flat as it was last year when he was getting hit hard and his knuckle curve is looking solid.

He is still only 22 years old (turns 23 in the summer), he has plenty of years to turn into the beginning of a rotation type of pitcher we all expect. He's staying in the minors and he will most likely get a handful of starts at the end of the year, which is something that is seen quite often in these young stud pitchers.

Look at how Johan Santana was groomed; although I don't advocate Hughes coming out of the pen in long relief like Santana was. I feel a full year in AAA will serve him well.

21 years old: 2-3, 86 ip, 6.49 era

22 years old: 1-0, 43.7 ip, 4.74 era

He started to perform at a very high level at 23 years old, although he wasn't allowed to start more than 18 games until he was 25.

I really don't see how you'd rather have Santana, than Sabathia + Hughes + the plethora of other prospects.

Johan did not really begin pitching until he was 16 or 17 years old.

he certainly did not have teh innings to polish his craft like Hughes has had.

Hughes has shown NOTHING. You sho at the BIG LEAGUE level.

Maybe he will still be a superstar as some have projected. But he ha snot shown that given the opportunity.

The Yankees have to be disspaointed after awarding him a rotation spot last spring. His stock has fallen

Johan did not really begin pitching until he was 16 or 17 years old.

he certainly did not have teh innings to polish his craft like Hughes has had.

Hughes has shown NOTHING. You sho at the BIG LEAGUE level.

Maybe he will still be a superstar as some have projected. But he ha snot shown that given the opportunity.

The Yankees have to be disspaointed after awarding him a rotation spot last spring. His stock has fallen

You're just talking out your ass aren't you? Hughes and Santana both broke in the majors at the age of 21. Before he got the the majors he wasn't even protected by the, I believe the Astros, for the Rule 5 draft, and was selected by the Twins. And once he got there, he wasn't good, you may want to look at his 1st two years in the majors, the numbers are almost identical to Hughes, though the years are flipped.

Also, the idea Hughes hasn't shown anything in the majors is ridiculous, he's got a handful of outings where he showed how good he can be, including a post season game. Finally, unless the Yankee plan on trading Hughes, which obviously they aren't, stock means absolutely jack, his stock isn't even low because of his pitching, it's low because so far he's been an injured prone pitcher.

You're just talking out your ass aren't you? Johan Santana was awful when he broke into the majors, before he got the the majors he wasn't even protected by the, I believe the Astros, for the Rule 5 draft, and was selected by the Twins. You may want to look at his 1st two years in the majors, the numbers are almost identical to Hughes, though the years are flipped.

Why are you still arguing with him. He is a clown. He is so used to watching a ****ty team that he can't recognize the value of things like depth and having the luxury of taking it slow with a guy like Hughes. He's used to watching a team that rushes young pitchers or gives them away to the rays.

Phil Hughes has proven nothing at the major league level. As a matter of fact the much heralded "Generation Trey" produced a whopping 4 wins in 2008 when they were counted very heavily, and an overall record of 4-11. Hughes has a lot to prove and he may yet prove it. For every hot shot pitching prospect who fulfills their potential, maybe a 100 more don't pan out.

You're being naive if you don't think the Yankees jump at the Hughes/Santana deal if they had a second chance. Brian Cashman will tell you he made the right move, but do you seriously think he would admit he made a mistake?

You're just talking out your ass aren't you? Hughes and Santana both broke in the majors at the age of 21. Before he got the the majors he wasn't even protected by the, I believe the Astros, for the Rule 5 draft, and was selected by the Twins. And once he got there, he wasn't good, you may want to look at his 1st two years in the majors, the numbers are almost identical to Hughes, though the years are flipped.

Also, the idea Hughes hasn't shown anything in the majors is ridiculous, he's got a handful of outings where he showed how good he can be, including a post season game. Finally, unless the Yankee plan on trading Hughes, which obviously they aren't, stock means absolutely jack, his stock isn't even low because of his pitching, it's low because he's so far been a injured prone pitcher.

What part of "Johan did not pitch until he was 16 or 17" did you not understand?

Ok, be your pollyanic self-Hughes is a GREAT PROSPECT, the Yankees are just having him languish at AAA. They would much rather pay top $$$, rather than work in a phenom

Why are you still arguing with him. He is a clown. He is so used to watching a ****ty team that he can't recognize the value of things like depth and having the luxury of taking it slow with a guy like Hughes. He's used to watching a team that rushes young pitchers or gives them away to the rays.

Arsis-Why do you bother to talk baseball-You admitted here yourself that "you only watch a couple games a year".

Phil Hughes has proven nothing at the major league level. As a matter of fact the much heralded "Generation Trey" produced a whopping 4 wins in 2008 when they were counted very heavily, and an overall record of 4-11. Hughes has a lot to prove and he may yet prove it. For every hot shot pitching prospect who fulfills their potential, maybe a 100 more don't pan out.

You're being naive if you don't think the Yankees jump at the Hughes/Santana deal if they had a second chance. Brian Cashman will tell you he made the right move, but do you seriously think he would admit he made a mistake?

WOW, because 1 years makes a career... :rolleyes:

Why would he admit a mistake when he didn't make one? The Yankees have both Hughes and CC. Sabathia, which is better than just Santana.

Archived