Yankees dispatch Hughes, three others to minors

JetNation

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're lucky, we won't see Hughes at all in 2008. That would mean all of our starters are healthy and pitching well, and if that happens... we're winning a championship.

I think this will def. be Andy Pettitte's last season with the Yankees, wether he likes it out not.. to be honest. His spot will probably be giving Hughes.

Yup that's my sentiment. I think it'd be nice to see he him come up to platoon Joba, give him some rest later in the season depending on our situation in the standings. For me I'd like to see Hughes up in the bigs just enough for us to see him against MLB hitters, kind of whet the appetite you know?

Wouldn't the exercise have to be name 5 5th starters better than Hughes?

What would Joba have to do with this?

Talk about all over the board.

Hughes isn't our 5th starter, Chamberlain is. Are you slow? I'll make it easier for you to comprehend, just name all the teams you think Hughes wouldn't be in the rotation for.

I'm pretty sure he meant:

The Yanks rotation is so deep that our 5th starter, Joba, is much better then nearly every other 5th starter in baseball. If not for the depth of 1-5, Hughes would make a perfectly good #5 pitcher this year. Hughes was put into AAA cause of the depth... not performance during this spring training. We're still developing him and quite frankly it suits him better to stay in AAA and continue to work as a starter then sit him in the pen as a situational long man all season long.

The Yanks rotation is so deep that our 5th starter, Joba, is much better then nearly every other 5th starter in baseball. If not for the depth of 1-5, Hughes would make a perfectly good #5 pitcher this year. Hughes was put into AAA cause of the depth... not performance during this spring training. We're still developing him and quite frankly it suits him better to stay in AAA and continue to work as a starter then sit him in the pen as a situational long man all season long.

Bravo!

Oh piss off, let me see the link where it says the Yankees are down on Hughes, or how about a link that says the Yankees are shopping Hughes. Can you send me that? If not, you're just pissing in the wind like everyone else.

I would say him being sent down to the minors, as opposed to being in the starting rotation (he was their #3) last spring represents a set-back.

Not hard to see that.

That speaks to Joba Chamberlain, not Phil Hughes.

I would say him being sent down to the minors, as opposed to being in the starting rotation (he was their #3) last spring represents a set-back.

Not hard to see that.

And if the Mets got

CC

AJ

and say resigned Perez

That would move someone like Maine down or into the Penn cause you know they're gonna keep Pelfrey up. Would you say then "This is a setback for Maine" if he had a solid spring training? Or would you say "We're very deep, so we can afford to have him in the minors."

And if the Mets got

CC

AJ

and say resigned Perez

That would move someone like Maine down or into the Penn cause you know they're gonna keep Pelfrey up. Would you say then "This is a setback for Maine" if he had a solid spring training? Or would you say "We're very deep, so we can afford to have him in the minors."

Damn, wish I could explain things as well as you.

Damn, wish I could explain things as well as you.

Lol. I'm sure his argument will be "The Mets trust their staff enough with their in-house people to not go out and spend billions of dollars to shore up their rotation."

Or something along those lines.

Point is we literally pumped up our rotation and afforded another year of development for Hughes who is like 23 now?

And if the Mets got

CC

AJ

and say resigned Perez

If the Mets had to do that, it would definitely mean that Maine had disappointed and they did not have confidence in him.

I would be disappointed as a fan, because they had to spend money, when they were hoping for a cheaper/better option internally.

You always want to solve your problems in house first, then you go outside.

True but based on his performance last season in 'real' games you cannot just state he would be in anyone elses rotation. I like him but he still needs to prove he can pitch in the Majors. There's plenty of pitchers who had a nice spring and got sent down. Hughes is in the minors due to last seasons performance in the Majors.

Joba is labeled the 5th to keep his innings down and because of Andy's tenure with the team. Performance wise, Andy is the 5th and at this point in his career a average or just above average one at that.

If the Mets had to do that, it would definitely mean that Maine had disappointed and they did not have confidence in him.

I would be disappointed as a fan, because they had to spend money, when they were hoping for a cheaper/better option internally.

Not everything is black and and white.

Even though the added Sabathia, Burnett, and Teixeira, the Yankees have lowered the payroll. The idea the Yankees would go into 2009 with a SIGNIFICANTLY lower payroll and no Mike Mussina, and a very thin and unexperienced rotation... is well, ridiculous.

Yup. You're right bro!!

That's why you went out and got Tim Redding, Freddy Garcia and Livan Hernandez to fill out your rotation.

Oh and resigned Perez to a deal you DID NOT WANT to sign him to.

No offense man... why in the world should I be disappointed? There are very few teams where EVERY prospect works out. Kennedy blows, I've given up on him but you want to stand on your soapbox and preach about "OH WE ARE SO WONDERFUL ADDRESSING THINGS IN HOUSE WHILE THE YANKEES ARE GREED MONGERS!! THEIR FARM SYSTEM IS TERRIBLE!"

Please. The Yankees made their rotation frightening and afforded one of our top prospects another year. I'm just fine with that.

True but based on his performance last season in 'real' games you cannot just state he would be in anyone elses rotation. I like him but he still needs to prove he can pitch in the Majors. There's plenty of pitchers who had a nice spring and got sent down. Hughes is in the minors due to last seasons performance in the Majors.

Joba is labeled the 5th to keep his innings down and because of Andy's tenure with the team. Performance wise, Andy is the 5th and at this point in his career a average or just above average one at that.

And, the Yankees went out to get Pettite or Burnett, based on Hughes' performance las year.

If Hughes win 12 last year, puts in 150 innings, and pitches to a 4.00 ERA, the Yankees do not have to spend that money.

You're right for sure man. If you're including last year there are some concerns. But he came in this year looking strong and looked sharp during all of spring training. If you get a kid looking like that during ST most teams will go to battle with that at #5.

As for Joba being labeled a #5... I agree... I think Andy is our #5 but who cares.

Yup. You're right bro!!

That's why you went out and got Tim Redding, Freddy Garcia and Livan Hernandez to fill out your rotation.

Oh and resigned Perez to a deal you DID NOT WANT to sign him to.

No offense man... why in the world should I be disappointed? There are very few teams where EVERY prospect works out. Kennedy blows, I've given up on him but you want to stand on your soapbox and preach about "OH WE ARE SO WONDERFUL ADDRESSING THINGS IN HOUSE WHILE THE YANKEES ARE GREED MONGERS!! THEIR FARM SYSTEM IS TERRIBLE!"

Please. The Yankees made their rotation frightening and afforded one of our top prospects another year. I'm just fine with that.

Again, this is not about the Mets.

Why do you guys change subjects so much? Avooiding?

And if the Mets got

CC

AJ

and say resigned Perez

Well there would have had to been a reason to go add TWO FA's plus bring back a starter who was a FA. That reason in the Yankees case was not to add depth. It was because Hughes,Kennedy and Joba did not work out as planned in 2008.

There's nothing wrong with that either but I am not sure why some people are trying to paint it in any other light.

Scott -- Hughes is 23. He had a great spring training. The Yankees are making him earn it. They were wrong expecting too much from him last year.

He is in AAA. Big deal. That has no impact on what he can become in 5 or 6 years. The Yankee rotation is stacked. Yet Mets fans such as yourself want to talk about the Yankees AAA rotation and guys that Hank made big statements about.

Insert yawn smiley here. Scott is reaching on this one, big time.

Again, this is not about the Mets.

Why do you guys change subjects so much? Avooiding?

Eh no, it's not, and it's called comparisons for subjectivity.

You want to talk down about our franchise for going out and getting pitching. So if you're gonna pound your chest about yours then I can pick holes in that as well.

Yea Hughes did not perform to expectations last year. We also lost our #1, Hughes got hurt, Kennedy was Terrible, Andy played hurt, etc.

I think it's laughable when if you see a possible area of weakness to address it. You want us just to concede and say "Yes Hughes is terrible!" Sorry... he's still a kid, has shown flashes, and still has time to develop. Now he has another full year thanks to us getting pitching. Please tell me the wrong in that.

Do I need to remind you of your Mike Pelfrey? Wasn't he just god awful and then suddenly learned to pitch? Happens with young guys.

Well there would have had to been a reason to go add TWO FA's plus bring back a starter who was a FA. That reason in the Yankees case was not to add depth. It was because Hughes,Kennedy and Joba did not work out as planned in 2008.

There's nothing wrong with that either but I am not sure why some people are trying to paint it in any other light.

I'm not saying it's for "depth". They were terrible last year (minus Joba) but we did see injuries. Plus my argument is I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would take Hughes especially after this ST and throw him in as a #5.

I can see why management can say to themselves "Well we have 2 great pitchers out on the market, we could give our kids more time, let's do that."

You guys did it with your pen, which I thought was a brilliant job by Minaya. We did it with our rotation.

Scott -- Hughes is 23. He had a great spring training. The Yankees are making him earn it. They were wrong expecting too much from him last year.

He is in AAA. Big deal. That has no impact on what he can become in 5 or 6 years. The Yankee rotation is stacked. Yet Mets fans such as yourself want to talk about the Yankees AAA rotation and guys that Hank made big statements about.

Insert yawn smiley here. Scott is reaching on this one, big time.

He's 22. :cheers:

I'm not saying it's for "depth". They were terrible last year (minus Joba) but we did see injuries. Plus my argument is I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would take Hughes especially after this ST and throw him in as a #5.

I can see why management can say to themselves "Well we have 2 great pitchers out on the market, we could give our kids more time, let's do that."

You guys did it with your pen, which I thought was a brilliant job by Minaya. We did it with our rotation.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I would take Hughes in a second. I think last year forced you to go FA as you state. All three kids would be on innings restrictions anyway due to what happened last year.

At this point, isn't painfully clear that Scott is throwing his best Tx impersonation, baseball style out there?

I mean no one, NO ONE, would continue to post this drivel and be shot back down with common sense and facts with this much frequency and actually mean it.

I heard that the average met fan has the IQ of a golfball. It could be that.

Eh no, it's not, and it's called comparisons for subjectivity.

You want to talk down about our franchise for going out and getting pitching. So if you're gonna pound your chest about yours then I can pick holes in that as well.

Yea Hughes did not perform to expectations last year. We also lost our #1, Hughes got hurt, Kennedy was Terrible, Andy played hurt, etc.

I think it's laughable when if you see a possible area of weakness to address it. You want us just to concede and say "Yes Hughes is terrible!" Sorry... he's still a kid, has shown flashes, and still has time to develop. Now he has another full year thanks to us getting pitching. Please tell me the wrong in that.

Do I need to remind you of your Mike Pelfrey? Wasn't he just god awful and then suddenly learned to pitch? Happens with young guys.

Exactly where am I pounding my chest about what the mets did?

Exactly my point is Pelfrey-You learn to pitch in the MAJORS-and take your lumps. THAT is how you learn.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I would take Hughes in a second. I think last year forced you to go FA as you state. All three kids would be on innings restrictions anyway due to what happened last year.

I agree. We were forced into it and outside of CC and AJ who got payed big money lots of people didn't want to shell the money out for the secondary market of pitchers. Honestly I'm glad they went for both those dudes rather then like Lowe and Peavy or Sheets.

FWIW I'm definitely NOT a Met hater. I cheer for them if they're not playing the Yankees and I do listen about their moves. I just hate it when fans of teams piss on the Yankees when 98% of teams would go out and do what the Yanks did in some form. Maybe not as BIG or as flashy, but still they'd go out and get help.

Exactly where am I pounding my chest about what the mets did?

Exactly my point is Pelfrey-You learn to pitch in the MAJORS-and take your lumps. THAT is how you learn.

Cause after he went 0-5 for you guys they kept him in there. They let him take his lumps and you know, didnt' send him down to AAA. And then it's not like he didn't have a good spring training and get appointed to a #5. They just kept him in and let him take his LUMPS. Gotcha.

Archived