Yankees dispatch Hughes, three others to minors

JetNation

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a whiner. Doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to be a big league pitcher on a big franchise. Hughes and Joba seem to have the mindset and the tools, I'm hoping Hughes can get it together this year and be huge for us next year.

I'm curious to see Jackson's development this year as well cause we're gonna have an OF situation next offseason.

Austin Jackson has been my favorite minor leaguer to watch at Spring Training the last two years. I was actually fortunate enough to be at the Yanks Sox game when he hit that grandslam.

But yeah even Hughes pissed me off with his whole 'vision' problem in Yankee Stadium last year. Come one man, that place is littered with ghosts of the greats. He'll be lucky if they didn't put a hex on him for complaining.

I still dont understand how 21, 22, 23 year old kids have injury problems. Its getting ridiculous.

Well Hughes has had freak injuries that don't have much to do with pitching. But yeah, they're still pitchers making there bodies move in ways that aren't exactly normal. I'm pretty sure TD can explain more on the topic.

Austin Jackson has been my favorite minor leaguer to watch at Spring Training the last two years. I was actually fortunate enough to be at the Yanks Sox game when he hit that grandslam.

But yeah even Hughes pissed me off with his whole 'vision' problem in Yankee Stadium last year. Come one man, that place is littered with ghosts of the greats. He'll be lucky if they didn't put a hex on him for complaining.

Definitely gone one of these from me. :face:

You know who is having a incredible spring is Ohlendorf the reliever the Yanks traded as part of the Nady/Marte deal. Pirates have converted him into a starter and he has a .083 ERA so far and has nailed down the #3 spot in thjeir rotation. Granted he was awful last year in the Majors but the Yanks were once high on him and it will be interesting to see how he does.

As for Tabata, he also looked good this spring but the stuff with his 40 something year old criminal wife is just too much. There is something missing upstairs with Tabata IMO.

You know who is having a incredible spring is Ohlendorf the reliever the Yanks traded as part of the Nady/Marte deal. Pirates have converted him into a starter and he has a .083 ERA so far and has nailed down the #3 spot in thjeir rotation. Granted he was awful last year in the Majors but the Yanks were once high on him and it will be interesting to see how he does.

As for Tabata, he also looked good this spring but the stuff with his 40 something year old criminal wife is just too much. There is something missing upstairs with Tabata IMO.

Yankees never used Ohlendorf correctly. I don't think I'm ever going to like that trade, though it could change if Nady has a good year, and he we get a 1st round draft pick when he signs else where next off season.

:( Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next Kazmir.

There's no saying that he brings it all together. That's my griping point.

Here's my view (a homeristic one of course).

-He's been disappointing thus far

-He's still young and can become a top end pitcher

-If he doesn't become top end I still think he'll be another SOLID pitcher in our rotation

Either way it's a plus for the Yankees and I'm glad we didn't trade him away.

Kennedy on the other hand to me is and will be terrible.

There is no doubt he could be one of the best.

Just understand as much smoke as MadMike blew up everyone's ass on this guy. MM had his Hall plaque being made.

There is going to be some banter when he comes up short until he does make it.

I just think this is a weird one for Yankee haters to rally around. 21 year old Phil Hughes did not get it done. The Yankees tried to spend less money and go with prospects and they are getting killed for it. They get killed when they sign free agents. Yankee haters have it both ways.

The bottom line for me as a Yankee fan is this, the Yankees tried and failed. Hughes long term potential is really huge in my opinion. BUT I like that they are making him earn it. A few bus trips this year will serve as great motivation.

And more importantly I am very happy that the Yankees have 5 better starting pitchers in the rotation right now.

Yes, they do have it both ways. That is the price to be paid when you are the richest team.

Yes, they do have it both ways. That is the price to be paid when you are the richest team.

Well that is a small price to pay in comparison to what you guys pay for rooting against the greatest franchise in sports.

:-P

I could care less when people criticize the yankees for being the richest team, and how they spend too much money on free agents.

I'm sorry, but with the fanbase they have and the money they turn on that fanbase they damn well better put the money back into the team.

I could care less when people criticize the yankees for being the richest team, and how they spend too much money on free agents.

I'm sorry, but with the fanbase they have and the money they turn on that fanbase they damn well better put the money back into the team.

Correct which is why some fans talk of a budget last year was hilarious.

Yea I've kinda been ignoring that. I didn't love the trade although I understood it. In the end plenty of trades end up that way.

As for what MM used to say about Hughes... I wasn't around then. Clearly the guy bought into the hype, and I'm not gonna lie I was pumped for the kid but once he started sucking last year I came down off that hype and realized "he's a human, normal, early 20's kid."

6 days boys!! God I love the baseball season.

Just as long as they continue to do it badly, I am all for it.

People who criticize it are jealous. Baseball is a true reflection of US economic principles and the Yanks ownership for as wrong as they've done it at times, always believe that the best way to make money is reinvesting. NY is a town that can lose attention and focus on a team if they suck. But when you're relavent everyone talks about you. Yes we split the town with the Mets but the big names draw new fans and casual fans alike.

For example Boston is a great sports town due to its size, smaller city, only 1 franchise in each sport, and a rabid fan base. They benefit from that in the sense that they could suck and the entire city of Boston would still have to go to Fenway to see a game. The Yankees can suck and people who are casual might choose to cheer for the Mets.

There's NOTHING wrong with the Yankees reinvesting into their product. People who are powerhouses can get blinded by their money. We did. We invested in old players. The Sox got young, brough depth from within and now we're playing catch up. I think we're getting there FWIW, but my point is this simply:

People who piss and moan about our money are just simply jealous. They say we're destroying the game. Microsoft dominated all computers for more then a decade. Apple nearly died. But it forced Apple to think smarter, work harder and be better and now they have a foothold in other industries that MS could only dream of. MS even has to counter advertise Apple, when 9 years ago.. they laughed at their existence. In America some people will always have advantages... it's on you to erase those gaps. Hire smarter people, find a better way, use your money better. Cause while you're complaining there are other people who are finding a way.

People who criticize it are jealous. Baseball is a true reflection of US economic principles and the Yanks ownership for as wrong as they've done it at times, always believe that the best way to make money is reinvesting. NY is a town that can lose attention and focus on a team if they suck. But when you're relavent everyone talks about you. Yes we split the town with the Mets but the big names draw new fans and casual fans alike.

For example Boston is a great sports town due to its size, smaller city, only 1 franchise in each sport, and a rabid fan base. They benefit from that in the sense that they could suck and the entire city of Boston would still have to go to Fenway to see a game. The Yankees can suck and people who are casual might choose to cheer for the Mets.

There's NOTHING wrong with the Yankees reinvesting into their product. People who are powerhouses can get blinded by their money. We did. We invested in old players. The Sox got young, brough depth from within and now we're playing catch up. I think we're getting there FWIW, but my point is this simply:

People who piss and moan about our money are just simply jealous. They say we're destroying the game. Microsoft dominated all computers for more then a decade. Apple nearly died. But it forced Apple to think smarter, work harder and be better and now they have a foothold in other industries that MS could only dream of. MS even has to counter advertise Apple, when 9 years ago.. they laughed at their existence. In America some people will always have advantages... it's on you to erase those gaps. Hire smarter people, find a better way, use your money better. Cause while you're complaining there are other people who are finding a way.

:cheers:

I respectfully disagree. Many of those who dislike the Yankees cite their arrogance as the primary reason. Their championship teams, steroids abusers aside, were for the most part a good group of guys who played well 2gether & had chemistry...those teams were built by Gene Michael while Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball. As soon as Steinbrenner had the chance he started throwing $$ at overpriced, older free agents, as you mentioned. Most of them were jerks who had no regard for the team. That would include Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Clemens (oh boy), Javier Vasquez, Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Carl Pavano, Kenny Rogers, & of course the ultimate example, Alex Rodriguez. Watching the Red Sox beat those Yankees in '04 was very enjoyable for all those didn't like or respect the Yankee way of doing business. It has nothing to do with jealousy, at least for me.

Unfortunately for them, they just reloaded again this year with the same cast of overpaid characters, with one exception. This years crop seems to be decent guys who wont be clubhouse cancers...who knows, maybe it works out, but is it really fun rooting for a team that just goes out & buys the top free agents available each year?

I respectfully disagree. Many of those who dislike the Yankees cite their arrogance as the primary reason. Their championship teams, steroids abusers aside, were for the most part a good group of guys who played well 2gether & had chemistry...those teams were built by Gene Michael while Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball. As soon as Steinbrenner had the chance he started throwing $$ at overpriced, older free agents, as you mentioned. Most of them were jerks who had no regard for the team. That would include Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Clemens (oh boy), Javier Vasquez, Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Carl Pavano, Kenny Rogers, & of course the ultimate example, Alex Rodriguez. Watching the Red Sox beat those Yankees in '04 was very enjoyable for all those didn't like or respect the Yankee way of doing business. It has nothing to do with jealousy, at least for me.

Unfortunately for them, they just reloaded again this year with the same cast of overpaid characters, with one exception. This years crop seems to be decent guys who wont be clubhouse cancers...who knows, maybe it works out, but is it really fun rooting for a team that just goes out & buys the top free agents available each year?

Ohhhhhh noooooooooooooooo.

JN just got hit by a bag of sh*t.

(PS. The trade for Bobby Abreu was a stroke of genius by Brian Cashman, and Sheffield was a VERY productive player with the Yankees, as well as Giambi for a good portion of his contract, and Kenny Rogers? He was with the Yankees in '96 and '97, he was with the METS! after that in 1999, God damn you're an idiot.)

Funniest.

Post.

Ever.

You as always... never read posts.

I didn't say we're perfect... I even cited our need to overpay and spend on old talent as a reason we fell behind. Yea a die-hard Yankee fan can admit we were WRONG on those signings. Dumb, stupid, short sighted. My whole post was that honestly it's dumb to hate on a team that has more money.

And as for your question about rooting for. This is my team, this was my choice to cheer for them like I cheer for the Jets. I'm a loyal person, and for me I could care less about the name on the back of the jersey, it's the pinstripes and how they do in them. If you perform for my team and you play well without shaming the name then I will cheer for you.

I cheer for the New York Yankees. I don't cheer for players. I don't cheer for management.

It's not like the 2004 Red Sox were some poor small market team. They had the second highest payroll in baseball and basically followed the Yankee roadmap to success. Manny, Schilling, Foulke, Millar, Mueller, Damon, and Oritz were all free agent signings. I'm not taking anything away from the Red Sox by bringing this up, but if you don't respect the way the Yankees do business why would you respect the Red Sox?

You as always... never read posts.

I didn't say we're perfect... I even cited our need to overpay and spend on old talent as a reason we fell behind. Yea a die-hard Yankee fan can admit we were WRONG on those signings. Dumb, stupid, short sighted. My whole post was that honestly it's dumb to hate on a team that has more money.

And as for your question about rooting for. This is my team, this was my choice to cheer for them like I cheer for the Jets. I'm a loyal person, and for me I could care less about the name on the back of the jersey, it's the pinstripes and how they do in them. If you perform for my team and you play well without shaming the name then I will cheer for you.

I cheer for the New York Yankees. I don't cheer for players. I don't cheer for management.

I disagreed with your assertation that Yankee haters were jealous.

My question was rhetorical.

It's not like the 2004 Red Sox were some poor small market team. They had the second highest payroll in baseball and basically followed the Yankee roadmap to success. Manny, Schilling, Foulke, Millar, Mueller, Damon, and Oritz were all free agent signings. I'm not taking anything away from the Red Sox by bringing this up, but if you don't respect the way the Yankees do business why would you respect the Red Sox?

I won't say the "followed" they altered it and that's why they've been very competitive. They really focused in on getting some farm system talent and it's worked out well for them. The difference is we kept throwing money out rather then go internally. Now I feel we're rectifying that problem, and it might be because Cash has more control now.

The '04 Sox were "the idiots"...they were a likeable team with alot of characters. They were fun to watch. The Yankees were corporate stiffs....it's actually good to read that this year's Yankee clubhouse has good guys like Swisher, Burnett, & Sabathia who lighten the place up...they're also benefitting from Arod taking up the back pages with all his drama.

Fair enough, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, my point is that people that hate on the Yankees for their spending and money are jealous/dumb.

gotcha...there are def haters out there for all sorts of reasons...

my wife is from Beaverton, OR btw....gorgeous state u have there.

I won't say the "followed" they altered it and that's why they've been very competitive. They really focused in on getting some farm system talent and it's worked out well for them. The difference is we kept throwing money out rather then go internally. Now I feel we're rectifying that problem, and it might be because Cash has more control now.

I agree that the Red Sox have adapted the way they do things as compared to 2004. They've done a great job of developing young talent (Papelbon, Ellsbury, Lester, Youk, Pedroia).

I was just referring to the comments that were made that he didn't have respect for the way the Yankees did business when the Red Sox did the exact same thing. That 2004 team wasn't exactly filled with alot of homegrown talent.

The '04 Sox were "the idiots"...they were a likeable team with alot of characters. They were fun to watch. The Yankees were corporate stiffs....it's actually good to read that this year's Yankee clubhouse has good guys like Swisher, Burnett, & Sabathia who lighten the place up...they're also benefitting from Arod taking up the back pages with all his drama.

This is true. The front office and manager did a nice job creating a loose atmosphere around the team. Especially after they got rid of Nomar. But they were still a collection free agents.

I don't worry too much about the corporate feel of the Yankees. They won 4 titles in 5 years with that attitude. That 2004 team just choked from the GM to the manager to the players.

Likeable only the Yankee haters.

What's to like about Manny Ramirez? Pedro Martinez? Curt Schilling? All d-bags.

U referring to the Mets, Guido?

Careful, the team from Flushing has a squad this year....

They do actually. I hope the Perez and Maine shape up cause you guys have a deadly 8-9 inning combo. Hopefully you guys can produce enough runs as that seemed to be a major sticking point. I still don't get why you didn't get manny.

Archived