Still gotta consider Rey Mauluaga at 17

Barton

Here is why:

1. Gholston is a big unknown, if he's a bust then our LB core is not very good.

2. Scott and Harris are versatile, we can put Mauluaga at ILB and put Scott at OLB etc etc.

3. What happens if Harris never returns to form? All of a sudden ILB is a weak spot.

4. "You can never have enough linebackers"

AND THE BIGGEST REASON WHY:

Rey Mauluaga is a f##king beast.

Here is why:

And that is all that matters. You don't ignore elite talent just because you have starters in place. If we can get Rey and we can lock him up for 5 or 6 years, Harris is very cheap and we have a ILB team that can rotate in and out and be dominant for 60 minutes. Harris is very good, but Rey is likely going to be great. So Harris, Rey could be special, or Bart and Rey could be special. Bart is 30 in 2 years and I think has a 10 million option bonus at that point. Harris' deal runs through 2010 as well. So at 2010 they can look at Harris and Scott and decide if it is worth signing Harris LT and cutting ties with Scott and saving some cash, or if Harris is not performing, letting him hit FA and continuing with Scott's contract.

honestly fellas, having seen Rey up close at the senior bowl I don't know how elite of a talent he is... he gets exposed alot... misses alot of tackles going for the big hit... not good in coverage... doesn't run sideline to sideline... you have to use him in a very specific way for him to be effective. And the Jets have 2 ILB starters already... if the JEts didn't sign Bart Scott I'd say maybe but with Scott and Harris there's no room for him. Taking a guy like Barwin actually makes more sense if we consider Bryan THomas on his way out possibly and Gholston a bust possibly.

Here is why:

1. Gholston is a big unknown, if he's a bust then our LB core is not very good.

2. Scott and Harris are versatile, we can put Mauluaga at ILB and put Scott at OLB etc etc.

3. What happens if Harris never returns to form? All of a sudden ILB is a weak spot.

4. "You can never have enough linebackers"

I thought it was corner backs. :biggrin:

honestly fellas, having seen Rey up close at the senior bowl I don't know how elite of a talent he is... he gets exposed alot... misses alot of tackles going for the big hit... not good in coverage... doesn't run sideline to sideline... you have to use him in a very specific way for him to be effective. And the Jets have 2 ILB starters already... if the JEts didn't sign Bart Scott I'd say maybe but with Scott and Harris there's no room for him. Taking a guy like Barwin actually makes more sense if we consider Bryan THomas on his way out possibly and Gholston a bust possibly.

I've seen most of Mauluaga's USC games and he IS a beast. I'll be the first to admit that his Senior Bowl performance was , shall we say "lacking". Lots of missed tackles and out of position at times. I chalked it up to just a off game but I could see how scouts would have question marks.

Yes, let's sink another $20 million into our linebacking corps. Great idea.

Yup! I mean why get an elite stud at ILB cause we can instead reach for a guy like Alphonso Smith or Darrius Butler or happily take any WR not named Crabtree in a very weak WR class instead? I'd so much rather get a guy who won't live up to his contract because we had a hole in the roster that we could have patched with a 2nd or 3rd rounder just as easily.

Yup! I mean why get an elite stud at ILB cause we can instead reach for a guy like Alphonso Smith or Darrius Butler or happily take any WR not named Crabtree in a very weak WR class instead? I'd so much rather get a guy who won't live up to his contract because we had a hole in the roster that we could have patched with a 2nd or 3rd rounder just as easily.

Gholston.

Scott.

Pace.

Thomas.

All are making a ridiculous amount of money. What is it? We need a matching over-priced backup ILB to go along with our over-priced backup OLB?

Seriously, we have Harris and Scott already. And you want to sink $20 million more into a position that I'd venture to guess the Jets already have the most money in the league tied into to. A 1st round backup! Great idea...because we are so loaded everywhere else.

Brilliant.

Gholston.

Scott.

Pace.

Thomas.

All are making a ridiculous amount of money. What is it? We need a matching over-priced backup ILB to go along with our over-priced backup OLB?

Seriously, we have Harris and Scott already. And you want to sink $20 million more into a position that I'd venture to guess the Jets already have the most money in the league tied into to. A 1st round backup! Great idea...because we are so loaded everywhere else.

Brilliant.

Stockpile playmakers. Thats the idea.

Gholston.

Scott.

Pace.

Thomas.

Brilliant.

Because Harris is still a sure thing and Bart Scott is 28 with a massive tag in 2 years, which is the very same year Harris hits FA, so yeah that's dumb to try to plan ahead of that especially considering you could get an elite talent. Just dumb. (assuming you think Rey is as good as advertised - I do.)

And wow these contracts (below) sure seem ridiculous. We went heavy on Pace and Scott. Other than that...where's the problem.

year: base (bonus) - assumes bonus is spread evenly year to year.

Gholston:

Signed a five-year, $32.5 million contract.

The deal includes $21 million guaranteed.

Another $17.5 million is available through incentives.

2009: $2.9 million (4.2)

2010: $3.48 million (4.2)

2011: $4.06 million (4.2)

2012: $4.64 million (4.2)

Bryan Thomas:

$25 million contract extension through 2011.

The deal includes $9 million guaranteed.

2009: $1.9 million, (1.8)

2010: $2.5 million, (1.8)

2011: $3.2 million, (1.8)

Pace:

Signed a six-year, $42 million contract.

The deal contains $21.5 million guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus.

2009: $750,000 (3.5)(+ $9 million option bonus),

2010: $3.75 million, (3.5)

2011: $3.855 million, (3.5)

2012: $4.585 million, (3.5)

2013: $5.81 million, (3.5)

Harris:

Signed a four-year, $3.5 million contract.

The deal includes $1.79 million guaranteed.

2009: $460,000, (447.5K)

2010: $550,000 (447.5K)

Scott:

Signed a six-year, $48 million contract.

The deal contains $22 million guaranteed, including a $3.5 million signing bonus and Scott's first two base salaries.

2009: $4.5 million, (4.25)

2010: $3.85 million (4.25)(+ $10 million option bonus),

2011-2013: Under Contract, (Guess that means N/A?)(4.25 each year)

2014: "Dummy Year," (WTF?)(4.25)

Oh and here is what last years #17 pick Gosder Cherilus got in his cap busting ROOKIE contract.

Cherilus:

Signed a five-year, $12.5 million contract.

The deal includes $8.86 million guaranteed. Another $2.4 million is available through incentives.

2009: $495,000, (1.772)

2010: $745,000, (1.772)

2011: $610,000, (1.772)

2012: $810,000, (1.772)

Yup that would stop me in my tracks from getting an elite player like Rey.

Archived