Schilling Announces Retirement

Lil Bit Special

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4007993

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling says he's retiring from baseball.

4267.jpg Schilling

The right-hander who won World Series championships with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox announced on his blog Monday that he's leaving after 23 years with "zero regrets."

Schilling missed all of last season with a shoulder injury. He had surgery last June and had said he might come back in the middle of this season.

He made no reference to his injury on his blog, 38pitches.com, saying only that he was very grateful.

Schilling won World Series with Arizona in 2001 and with Boston in 2004 and 2007.

Schilling ended last season with 3,116 strikeouts, 14th most in baseball history, a 216-146 record and a 3.46 ERA.

The right-hander who won World Series championships with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox announced on his blog Monday that he's leaving after 23 years with "zero regrets."

He doesn't regret taking six on the chin a day after popping off about how he was gonna go out and shut 55,000 New Yorkers up? This guy. I wonder if his ring came with the ripcord and parachute attached.

He doesn't regret taking six on the chin a day after popping off about how he was gonna go out and shut 55,000 New Yorkers up? This guy. I wonder if his ring came with the ripcord and parachute attached.

I think he has a radio gig set-up. The man loves to hear himself talk and loves having his ass kissed. Radio is a perfect place for him.

That line about the 55,000 New Yorkers was awesome, btw. Too bad it didn't work out ;) Seriously though, Schilling loves being the worshipped hero. NOTHING endeared him more to the rabid BoSox fans than hearing him "diss" Yankees Fans. He knew it. He played to it. The fans ate it up.

I think he has a radio gig set-up. The man loves to hear himself talk and loves having his ass kissed. Radio is a perfect place for him.

That line about the 55,000 New Yorkers was awesome, btw. Too bad it didn't work out ;) Seriously though, Schilling loves being the worshipped hero. NOTHING endeared him more to the rabid BoSox fans than hearing him "diss" Yankees Fans. He knew it. He played to it. The fans ate it up.

It's refreshing when a Sox fan openly admits that they all have a New York inferiority complex.

Know what endears players to NYers? Winning. With class. See Jeter, Derek or Rivera, Mariano.

It's refreshing when a Sox fan openly admits that they all have a New York inferiority complex.

Know what endears players to NYers? Winning. With class. See Jeter, Derek or Rivera, Mariano.

Hate to ruin it for you, Guido, but I'm not a Red Sox Fan.

Around the Horn, PTI, Rob Neyer, Jayson Stark, Buster Olney, Gammons, Rosenthal, Richard Justice (Sporting News). I'm sure there are more. He should get in. One of, if not the best postseason and big game pitchers of all time.

Gammons will tell you the Sox ball boy belongs in the HOF. HE is a Sox fan and gives them reach arounds for a 7th inning stretch.

Around the Horn, PTI, Rob Neyer, Jayson Stark, Buster Olney, Gammons, Rosenthal, Richard Justice (Sporting News). I'm sure there are more. He should get in. One of, if not the best postseason and big game pitchers of all time.

Considering these guys will be the one's voting, chances are he does get in, they didn't say 1st ballot did they?

im still on the fence. he has the post season stats at 11-2 carreer in the postseason and 4-1 in the world series. average regular season stats from what ive heard. I dont think first ballot but possibly down the line.

I think he'll get in based on what he did in the postseason. Not on the first ballot but eventually he'll get in.

Personally I would not vote for him to get in, but then again I think they let way too many people into the HOF. If you have to argue about whether someone should be in the HOF then they should not be in there.

No on the first ballot, but that he'd get in eventually.
Wonder how Jack Morris and David Cone fit in this; same idea, soild regualr season careers, great postseason pitchers. Cone didn't get enough votes and is basically done until the vet committee takes him up.

You also have Blyleven(who simply I do not think is a HoFer), Tommy John and Jim Kaat, all of whom won many more games and given the often bad teams they played on and the limited playoffs there were during their careers had limited chances in the postseason. Does Schilling get a pass on sucking with thr Astros, Orioles and Phillies early while those guys get downgraded for hanging around at the end?

Suspect you're right. He will get in evenetually.

Considering these guys will be the one's voting, chances are he does get in, they didn't say 1st ballot did they?

No.

I think he'll get in based on what he did in the postseason. Not on the first ballot but eventually he'll get in.

Personally I would not vote for him to get in, but then again I think they let way too many people into the HOF. If you have to argue about whether someone should be in the HOF then they should not be in there.

That is true.

First, I think they need to look at the numbers that largely been held to be career milestones. 300 game winners are becoming things of the past. 400 homeruns has essentially been rendered useless.

Second, I know it has been discussed here a few times, but the Hall should have the actual hall with the best 25 (arbitrary number) and then another section recognizing the remaining great players like Schilling. By this you say Ted Williams, he is in the 25. Schilling, you think about and that automatically pushes him to the other Hall.

Wonder how Jack Morris and David Cone fit in this; same idea, soild regualr season careers, great postseason pitchers. Cone didn't get enough votes and is basically done until the vet committee takes him up.

You also have Blyleven(who simply I do not think is a HoFer), Tommy John and Jim Kaat, all of whom won many more games and given the often bad teams they played on and the limited playoffs there were during their careers had limited chances in the postseason. Does Schilling get a pass on sucking with thr Astros, Orioles and Phillies early while those guys get downgraded for hanging around at the end?

Suspect you're right. He will get in evenetually.

He is another litmus test and might usher in them as well.

Archived