The Leon Washington Tribute Thread

drago

To my favorite Jet, football player and overall athlete (sorry Ryan Braun).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrInleqMcUo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrInleqMcUo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

amd_washington.jpg

Leon Washington runs away with Jets' team MVP honor

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, December 22nd 2007, 4:00 AM

amd_washington.jpg Antonelli/News Leon Washington has returned three kickoffs for touchdowns this season.

It was really not that long ago that Leon Washington was running laps alone around the practice field in his first training camp. Every time he fumbled, Washington would be called out and told to run around the perimeter in the summer heat, thinking about the mistake he had made.

It was actually a quick progression for the Florida State product from mistake-prone rookie to player in the locker room the team rallies around. One of the few bright spots in a long, dismal season, Washington was named the Jets' MVP by his teammates.

"Leon is an excellent example of young player that came in and he had a rocky (start), putting the ball on the ground, he ran a lot of laps - a lot of laps," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of the 5-8, 202-pound running back. "He just kept working at it. It's a good example of size not being the distinguishing factor in success. The way he plays is always much bigger than his height and weight, and his presence is a lot bigger than any intangible."

Washington has been one of the very few impact players in this dismal 3-11 season for the Jets. Replacing Pro Bowl kickoff returner Justin Miller, who was injured in training camp, Washington has had a season worthy of consideration for Hawaii, although he was edged out by Cleveland's Joshua Cribbs.

"I was kind of surprised," Washington said of the team MVP honors. "I voted for Kerry Rhodes. I thought he was a guy that did a lot this year. It just says a lot about what my team thinks of me, what type player I can be and what my future is with this team."

Washington has made his impact by filling needs for the Jets. Last year, after Curtis Martin was injured, Washington overcame his training-camp fumbling problems and led the team in rushing. This year, replacing Miller, Washington has returned a Jets record three kickoffs for touchdowns. He has amassed 1,186 yards on kick returns and 172 yards on punt returns. His 28.2-yard average on kickoffs is second in the NFL to Cribbs' 30.9.

His impact is reflected in the way opposing teams avoid kicking to him these days. "It's a compliment when teams don't want to give you an opportunity to go out there and make a play," Washington said.

It is a far cry from Washington's rookie days when Mangini regularly called out the undersized running back for simply not protecting the ball.

"Leon never blinked," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said of Washington as a rookie. "He took all the coaching and all the criticism and he never blinked. He doesn't back from a challenge."

You guys are all idiots. Leon Washington would get broken in half if he carried the ball more than a few times a game. Happens all the small ones. Guys like Barry Sanders and Brian Westrbrook prove that small RB's can't play.

Now Thomas Jones, he's obviously the best back in the league, just look at those arms!

Too small
Do you mean the picture or his stature? Leon rules. Now I know some mourn the loss of Dedric Ward, but they're hardly the same. The best thing ever was leaving a message on a friend's phone. Opening play at home, returned vs. Washington. We lost, what else is new, but that return was 86 yards of magic. "Hello. Leon fields. Baker blocks. There he goes. He's running. No. Yes. HAH. WEEEEEEE!" It was so of the moment. You can't make it up.

God Bless Herman Edwards for giving us a steal. Leon Washington is my cell phone wall paper, has been for two years. And my cell phone bites and I'm techno retarded. It rotates with Bugs Bunny, what else?!

EDIT: Tried to find the photo, didn't work out.

God Bless Herman Edwards for giving us a steal. Leon Washington is my cell phone wall paper, has been for two years. And my cell phone bites and I'm techno retarded. It rotates with Bugs Bunny, what else?!

EDIT: Tried to find the photo, didn't work out.

I really hope the Jets CS makes him a focal point. Watching this guy work, there is just no way he can't be considered elite in every aspect of the word. Barring injury of course.

3023364585_991f092598.jpg

alg_jets.jpg

I luv leon for sure but lets not forget he's a liability as a pass blocker. he's hardly an everydown back. he needs to be used more but I don't see him as a 20 + carry kinda running back

Who cares?

Last season exactly 3 RB's carried the ball >20x per game for 16 games. How'd that serve them in the playoffs?

Well Portis didn't get that far. He averaged like 2.5 ypc the last 5 games.

Michael Turner amassed 42 yards on 18 carries (2.3ypc) against that rush D powerhouse in Arizona.

Adrian Peterson had a very solid game, but then again there are a few things to consider: (1) he was banged up badly a year earlier, (2) no one yet knows how all those carries in 2008 are going to affect him in 2009, and (3) it's Adrian Peterson.

Matt Forte came close to 20 carries per game. He sucked over the last 4 weeks of the season despite playing against zero tough rush defenses.

Next-closest was Ryan Grant, but he didn't have a 20-carry game until the middle of October. But hey, at the end of the season he had a great game against Detroit.

20+ carries every game isn't necessary for anyone except people who own these guys in fantasy football. If Leon can't (or doesn't) carry the ball 20+ times per game, that is hardly a knock on him & hardly makes him the exception to the rule.

Who cares?

Last season exactly 3 RB's carried the ball >20x per game for 16 games. How'd that serve them in the playoffs?

Well Portis didn't get that far. He averaged like 2.5 ypc the last 5 games.

Michael Turner amassed 42 yards on 18 carries (2.3ypc) against that rush D powerhouse in Arizona.

Adrian Peterson had a very solid game, but then again there are a few things to consider: (1) he was banged up badly a year earlier, (2) no one yet knows how all those carries in 2008 are going to affect him in 2009, and (3) it's Adrian Peterson.

Matt Forte came close to 20 carries per game. He sucked over the last 4 weeks of the season despite playing against zero tough rush defenses.

Next-closest was Ryan Grant, but he didn't have a 20-carry game until the middle of October. But hey, at the end of the season he had a great game against Detroit.

20+ carries every game isn't necessary for anyone except people who own these guys in fantasy football. If Leon can't (or doesn't) carry the ball 20+ times per game, that is hardly a knock on him & hardly makes him the exception to the rule.

don't get me wrong sperm I luv having leon in the backfield but I don't think he can be as effective as tj in the role of everydown back. by that I mean lining up in the backfield for the lions share of the plays whether he gets the ball or not.

don't get me wrong sperm I luv having leon in the backfield but I don't think he can be as effective as tj in the role of everydown back. by that I mean lining up in the backfield for the lions share of the plays whether he gets the ball or not.

I would be very interested to know (because i don't know) how Barry Sanders and Brian Westbrook were at pass blocking.

I think one thing you can say about leon's pass blocking is that it is rarely asked of him. I know A Thomas ate him up on that one favre sack but not many RB's stand a chance in that situation that aren't named Walter Payton.

When Leon is in the backfield teams may think to attack him with a blitz but how many times have we seen him slide past the blitz for a screen? The mere threat of him being on the field is almost as valuable as the yards he gets when the ball is actually in his hands.

Thomas Jones isn't that effective either unless he has multiple studs run-blocking for him and a QB who is unpredictable enough to keep safeties out of the box. Those last 3 games, after carrying the ball >250x in 13 games, he was lousy.

He definitely needs to work on his pass protection & I'm fairly certain he knows it.

I'm a big fan of splitting carries. That's whether Thomas Jones is capable of making it through a season of 20-carry games or not. Very few players are dangerously effective late in the season (or into the playoffs) after 320 or 350 carries.

Thomas Jones isn't that effective either unless he has multiple studs run-blocking for him and a QB who is unpredictable enough to keep safeties out of the box. Those last 3 games, after carrying the ball >250x in 13 games, he was lousy.

He definitely needs to work on his pass protection & I'm fairly certain he knows it.

I'm a big fan of splitting carries. That's whether Thomas Jones is capable of making it through a season of 20-carry games or not. Very few players are dangerously effective late in the season (or into the playoffs) after 320 or 350 carries.

It's a big time wear and tear position. That's why it was nice that TJ had relatively low miles on him when we got him.

I agree with splitting carries as well. I just think jones should be on the field more than leon. It's more a matter of size than leon working on his blocking ability. he's just too small to consistently pick up the blitz effectively. Yes he's a real threat to break plays but he's also stopped cold in the backfield a lot. tj is a more powerful runner who gains positive yds by running north/south

your penis is too small.

speaking from experience? :P sorry couldnt resist...

i was going to go for that or speaking from "first hand experience"

but i liked the first one betteer. heh

anyway.. LEON ROCKS THE HOUSE!!!! everyone who knows me knows i <3 leon

spo095.jpg

I agree with splitting carries as well. I just think jones should be on the field more than leon. It's more a matter of size than leon working on his blocking ability. he's just too small to consistently pick up the blitz effectively. Yes he's a real threat to break plays but he's also stopped cold in the backfield a lot. tj is a more powerful runner who gains positive yds by running north/south

Jones is mediocre at best at running north/south. He just happens to be worse running outside than he is at running north/south.

He has no burst, which is more important in getting that push in short-yardage than physical size. He's too slow to accelerate and that's what makes him lousy at short-yardage. A 205-lb RB hitting the line with a burst is going to hit that line with more force than a 220-lb RB plodding/dancing up to it. He has amazingly little power for a guy as physically solid/strong as he is.

He's good at gaining short-yardage when it's 2nd & 10. I'll grant him that much. And he's good at getting a 10-yard gain when there's room for 35 or 70.

speaking from experience? :P sorry couldnt resist...

i was going to go for that or speaking from "first hand experience"

but i liked the first one betteer. heh

anyway.. LEON ROCKS THE HOUSE!!!! everyone who knows me knows i <3 leon

spo095.jpg

I love you :D

"Jones is mediocre at best at running north/south. He just happens to be worse running outside than he is at running north/south.

He has no burst, which is more important in getting that push in short-yardage than physical size. He's too slow to accelerate and that's what makes him lousy at short-yardage. A 205-lb RB hitting the line with a burst is going to hit that line with more force than a 220-lb RB plodding/dancing up to it. He has amazingly little power for a guy as physically solid/strong as he is.

He's good at gaining short-yardage when it's 2nd & 10. I'll grant him that much. And he's good at getting a 10-yard gain when there's room for 35 or 70."

There are only a few posters on here who I consider SPOT ON...but sperm is top of my list. I agree completely. I know football - played it as captain and to a state championship in H.S. and a bit in college before dedicating my life to medicine. T.J. is average at best. He does not explode, is not elusive, goes down on first contact, and NEVER makes plays out of nothing. He is solid at 'giving what they give him' football and hitting gaping holes that are easy to identify. In fact his leading the AFC in rushing gives even more credence to our O-line, because a like portis or OMG - westbrook or *gasp* L.Washington with more carries...would have had thousands more yards. What stands out about TJ (to me) is how many times he's at the second level, gets hit and falls forward for a 13 yard gain. What stands out about Leon, is how at the second level he makes two guys miss, and burns the FS for a 60 yard run. For the record, the longest run I ever remember TJ making this past year was the Denver game - a huge / long TD run. The hole was enormous and there were no safeties nearby. Noone could catch up because he had a such a head start. Not the case with leon. Watch the KC game highlight of his TD run. Just amazingly gifted.

Jones is mediocre at best at running north/south. He just happens to be worse running outside than he is at running north/south.

He's good at gaining short-yardage when it's 2nd & 10. I'll grant him that much. And he's good at getting a 10-yard gain when there's room for 35 or 70.

I thought jones ran pretty well for us last year. guess i'm wrong. oh well not the 1st time. Leon is a great change of pace running back with blazing speed but is just too small to be an effective everydown back when you take in the blocking factor.

I thought jones ran pretty well for us last year. guess i'm wrong. oh well not the 1st time. Leon is a great change of pace running back with blazing speed but is just too small to be an effective everydown back when you take in the blocking factor.

If he continues to block like a 203-pound Adrian Jones then he'll continue to be used in that change-of-pace role. A RB can protect the QB adequately without being 215-230 lbs.

There are plenty of guys his size & smaller that were effective at more than just being a change of pace type RB.

Brian Westbrook, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn, Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew...these guys all weigh around the same or less than Leon Washington.

DeAngelo Williams allegedly outweighs Leon by all of 7 pounds. You really think the 7 pounds that separate Williams & Leon are more significant than the 13 pounds that separates Williams & Thomas Jones?

When Clinton Portis came into the league with Denver & was averaging 120 rushing yards & a touchdown per game, he weighed all of 2 pounds more than Leon despite a 3-inch height advantage.

Size matters not. Didn't you see The Empire Strikes Back? Sheesh.

If the defense keeps us in games enough to warrant or allow 30+ rushing attempts per game, Jones & Leon should be splitting them more or less down the middle, or more lopsided one way or the other from game to game depending on who your hot hand is on a given day. It keeps both backs fresher as opposed to wearing out one of them & is more of a handful for a tired defense to handle late in the game.

Archived