Can't get rid of the Titans jersey's that easy

BroadwayJ667

The 2009 NFL season marks the 50th anniversary for the eight teams that played in American Football League, and plans to celebrate that benchmark were announced Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, Calif.

afl-50th-logo.jpg

The American Football League, which merged with the NFL in 1970, played its first season in 1960 with eight teams. They were the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs (played as the Dallas Texans), New England Patriots (played as the Boston Patriots), New York Jets (played as the Titans of New York), Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans (played as the Houston Oilers).

The NFL will highlight the 50th anniversary of those teams during "Legacy Games" throughout the 2009 season. During one home and one road game, former AFL teams will meet head-to-head while wearing their chosen historic uniforms.

On Sept. 14, ESPN will host a Monday Night Football doubleheader that will be part of the NFL's celebration of the 50th anniversary season of the AFL. The first game (7 p.m. ET) will pit the Bills against the Patriots, the decade's winningest team (102-42 since 2000), in Foxborough, Mass. The nightcap (10:15 p.m. ET) will be an AFC West showdown as the Raiders host the three-time defending division champion Chargers.

Also, the Bills will take on the Titans in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game on Sunday, Aug. 9, in Canton, Ohio. The game will be televised nationally by NBC at 8 p.m. ET.

The NFL and the eight former AFL teams are planning to celebrate the 50th anniversary season with numerous events this year.

Remember the AFL

j_namath_AFL_IL.jpg The upcoming season marks the 50th for the original member franchises of the American Football League. Relive its brief yet colorful history with this photo presentation. More ...

The thing I remember most about the AFL was that the NFL under Pete Rozelle hated them and treated them with disdain. It was one reason we were 18 point underdogs as the media felt the AFL was inferior. If you watch films after Super Bowl III, you can hear Namath mention it and the players from the other AFL teams were almost in tears that an AFL team had won. That's why it was so important the we beat the Giants in the following pre-season game and Joe played like it was regular season. Now the NFL is honoring the AFL. Well, we have come a long way.

They're not THAT bad. I think if used once a year, it actually helps restore/preserve franchise history and appreciation. I mean, OUR TEAM is one of The Originals. That's something to be proud of!

The last few years it was overkill, but the numbers don't lie and we DID play better while donning 'em last year. Personally, the a cameo of the 80's uni's would be pretty sweet.

We are the Jets. There is no such thing as "good luck".

The uniforms make Bea Arthur look like Jessica Biel. They are not the Jets. We are green and white. Not dark blue and puke gold.

The Jets should wear the Namath-era uniforms next season for the AFL anniversary. The lighter green + the white. You talk about "good luck"? We won a Super Bowl in those ****ing things.

We are the Jets. There is no such thing as "good luck".

The uniforms make Bea Arthur look like Jessica Biel. They are not the Jets. We are green and white. Not dark blue and puke gold.

The Jets should wear the Namath-era uniforms next season for the AFL anniversary. The lighter green + the white. You talk about "good luck"? We won a Super Bowl in those ****ing things.

Haha ... hilarious.

Well actually be wearing the Road Titans Uniform for a game next year? Interesting. Anybody got a picture of one?

we wore those down in miami for the december game. It looked just as ****ty as it did at home. (i believe they are identical)

we wore those down in miami for the december game. It looked just as ****ty as it did at home. (i believe they are identical)

No, they arn't. We wore the home ones down in Miami because the Dolphins always wear their double whites at home. We are going to be unveiling an official Titans of NY road jersey (white top) for 1 road game and will wear the blue tops for 1 home game.

I happen to love these uniforms.

Might be the worst uniforms in the league.

Yup, by far. I don't get how any long-time, green lovin' Jets fan can even freakin' stand them. When the game comes on, on of the things that gets me the most pumped is the green uni's. First of all, I think out regular uni are great. So the switch to a bland, blue mess just brings me down a bit.

To each his own I guess, but it's just a marketing ploy. Serious LOL to anyone who actually spends money on this crap.

Archived