NFL will expand to 17 or 18 games in 2011.

SoFlaJets

I have been in the camp for 18 RS games and 2 PS games-with a roster exemption for the first 2 weeks-like a 58 game day roster to sort out what needs to be sorted out. How many big time players have we seen lost during games that mean nothing? Damn shame

I have been in the camp for 18 RS games and 2 PS games-with a roster exemption for the first 2 weeks-like a 58 game day roster to sort out what needs to be sorted out. How many big time players have we seen lost during games that mean nothing? Damn shame

The other fun thing is less time to get ready makes the first weeks more interesting and leaves the door open for some upsets...

The other fun thing is less time to get ready makes the first weeks more interesting and leaves the door open for some upsets...

the season is way too short right now-I mean we wait all year for football and before you even realize it there are only 5 games left-if players are going to be suiting up for 4 wasted games in the summer why not make 2 of them count and adjust their salaries

the season is way too short right now-I mean we wait all year for football and before you even realize it there are only 5 games left-if players are going to be suiting up for 4 wasted games in the summer why not make 2 of them count and adjust their salaries

How about extending the playoffs instead? There are some teams that miss out that could make some noise every year...

How about extending the playoffs instead? There are some teams that miss out that could make some noise every year...

12 out of 32 teams make it as it is. This isn't the Special Olympics man.

Agreed. But I would favor one preseason game, then go into an 18-game regular season.

You need more than one preseason game. Guys have to try out for the team, and veterans have to get used to the system and playbook. I'd be cool with 3 games.

what like the 1st and 2nd place team in every division? What do we want to become the NBA or NHL?

I tend to agree that when you see a weak division champ at say 8-8...now that sucks when there are other teams around the league with better records

You need more than one preseason game. Guys have to try out for the team, and veterans have to get used to the system and playbook. I'd be cool with 3 games.

I think 2 PS games should be plenty and then as I said roster exemptions to 58 on the 1st 2 RS games to get the final 53 set

12 out of 32 teams make it as it is. This isn't the Special Olympics man.

Thats what "practice" is for... 11 on 11 drills arent far off from a pre-season game... lol

Who cares how many make it... the point is to find the best team... some teams lose game for various reasons (injuries, new players etc) and with 11 win teams missing the playoffs you need to take a serious look into letting more in...

what like the 1st and 2nd place team in every division? What do we want to become the NBA or NHL?

I tend to agree that when you see a weak division champ at say 8-8...now that sucks when there are other teams around the league with better records

IDK I was just tossing the idea out there... never really thought about it much... lol

If "tryouts" is an issue. The teams should have split squad games like there is in MLB. Let the rookies and undrafted guys play in a separate game against another teams' rookies and undrafted while the vets play in one game.

So, there'll be 3 PS games played, but in 2 weeks span. Play the annual Giant & Jet game week 2 with the vets at the New Stadium, and have the rooks/undrafted play in Rutgers stadium that same day.

CARE...TO...ELABORATE?...

Gladly. Right now, with the beating that these players take the season is too long as it is. Then you throw playoff games on top of that. Now you're going to extend it by two more games? Cutting preseason games is absolutely zero consolation considering your starters barely play those games anyway.

How do you figure that?

My bad. I was think about something else. 17 weeks wouldn't work because teams would not have the same amount of home & road games.

It would be a ridiculous advantage for the team with 9 home games.

The 1 game out the US is silly too.

Gladly. Right now, with the beating that these players take the season is too long as it is. Then you throw playoff games on top of that. Now you're going to extend it by two more games? Cutting preseason games is absolutely zero consolation considering your starters barely play those games anyway.

Those are a lot of words to explain:

More games = more injuries

Which I agree.

I dont like it.

Personally, I see the level of play going down. The amount of injuries going up. And potential for another couple of expansions teams.

Dont do it NFL. Dont fix what isnt broken.

There is going to come a point when the NFL just pushes things too far and it blows up in their faces which will be unfortunate because I don't have any other sports to turn to.

then maybe the rosters should be expanded to include all PS player game day eligible, and that silly rule where a 3rd string QB can't play unless the others get hurt-or whatever that rule says

ehh, i think 12 out of 32 is good enough, i mean, i would assume you would need to go to 16 teams and that would be half the league in the playoffs. Too many playoff teams and in marginalizes the in season games. Right now every game is crucial and for me that really makes football so interesting in contrast to baseball and basketball where there are far more games minimizing their importance.

then maybe the rosters should be expanded to include all PS player game day eligible, and that silly rule where a 3rd string QB can't play unless the others get hurt-or whatever that rule says

That doesn't change the fact that you're going to have the Earthwind Morelands of the world littering the tops of teams' depth charts by the end of the season. In short, this would be great for the NFL and owners since it would mean more money but horrible for players.

ehh, i think 12 out of 32 is good enough, i mean, i would assume you would need to go to 16 teams and that would be half the league in the playoffs. Too many playoff teams and in marginalizes the in season games. Right now every game is crucial and for me that really makes football so interesting in contrast to baseball and basketball where there are far more games minimizing their importance.

I agree. There are seasons like last year where it would work when you have 11-5 teams that didn't make the playoffs but on the same hand you're going to have many more seasons where you get 8-8 and 9-7 teams backing into the playoffs.

17 games is stupid because that means teams won't have the same number of home & road games. 18 games is the only thing that makes sense.

Unless the nfl did something else kinda interesting, like one game being played in a neutral stadium. It would be a way for the nfl to branch out to other markets, either international or nationally, like at college stadiums. I am sure alk would like to see a pro game or two before he dies and the leash his wife has around his balls doesn't reach all the way to new england, lol.

That doesn't change the fact that you're going to have the Earthwind Morelands of the world littering the tops of teams' depth charts by the end of the season. In short, this would be great for the NFL and owners since it would mean more money but horrible for players.

Yeah, the rosters and active player lists would have to be expanded. So, there'll be 60 to 63 player rosters with 52 to 55 active each week.

The thing is, what is the NFL going to do about the salary cap? Will it still be the top 53 that count?

it would take some rule changes and as I said roster exemptions-at least for the first few games-maybe NOT allow hurry-up offenses that don't allow the defenses to change personnel-

I agree with your assessment above where you said if the NFL goes down I too have no sport that will be worth watching

Unless the nfl did something else kinda interesting, like one game being played in a neutral stadium. It would be a way for the nfl to branch out to other markets, either international or nationally, like at college stadiums. I am sure alk would like to see a pro game or two before he dies and the leash his wife has around his balls doesn't reach all the way to new england, lol.

I've seen an NFL game if you consider Kansas City "pro" although they were playing the Patriots and beat them. :cussing: Although it would be freakin' sweet to see an NFL game at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. :headbang: I don't know what you're talking about with the leash though. We're coming out to Boston for a game this season. We're just waiting for the schedule to come out so we can pick a game.

I've seen an NFL game if you consider Kansas City "pro" although they were playing the Patriots and beat them. :cussing: Although it would be freakin' sweet to see an NFL game at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. :headbang: I don't know what you're talking about with the leash though. We're coming out to Boston for a game this season. We're just waiting for the schedule to come out so we can pick a game.

like i said, the leash isn't long enough so she is coming with you, lol ;)

:lol: Actually she's not going to the game. We decided that it would make no sense to pay for an extra ticket when she could care less about the game. That way I can use the extra money to get a better seat. :headbang:

or maybe she's his best friend like my wife is to me and we don't choose to go to a game w/o her-

My wife is also a big Jets fan as is my son who plays Madden and ESPN (with his roster updates since they no longer make the game anymore) every day.

I have changed my mind about NOT going to this years Fins game down here because of that-and also my cousin and two of my best buds from Jersey want to make the trek southward-as long as it's not too close to Christmas...November 15th would be a perfect time for that game instead of September 15th-as you well know Joe

Archived