NFL will expand to 17 or 18 games in 2011.

SoFlaJets

or maybe she's his best friend like my wife is to me and we don't choose to go to a game w/o her-

My wife is also a big Jets fan as is my son who plays Madden and ESPN (with his roster updates since they no longer make the game anymore) every day.

I have changed my mind about NOT going to this years Fins game down here because of that-and also my cousin and two of my best buds from Jersey want to make the trek southward-as long as it's not too close to Christmas...November 15th would be a perfect time for that game instead of September 15th-as you well know Joe

I WAS joking, besides, I knew from previous conversation that alk's wife is coming but not actually going to the game, so i know she doesn't care about the pats or football.

:lol: Actually she's not going to the game. We decided that it would make no sense to pay for an extra ticket when she could care less about the game. That way I can use the extra money to get a better seat. :headbang:

You should just come to NY for the jets/pats game, foxboro is full of douches and I bet you speak to more jets fans here and at the other place than you do pats fans anyway.

I WAS joking, besides, I knew from previous conversation that alk's wife is coming but not actually going to the game, so i know she doesn't care about the pats or football.

I just don't follow Alk as closely as some others around here do I guess ;)

I wonder if he is on Twitter so I can keep up:Typotux:

You should just come to NY for the jets/pats game, foxboro is full of douches and I bet you speak to more jets fans here and at the other place than you do pats fans anyway.

That's not going to happen. This is a dual purpose trip. She has a good friend from high school that lives in Boston. She always comes here to visit but we've never gone out there. Also I'm not going to make my first trip out there for a game and not make it a home game.

That's not going to happen. This is a dual purpose trip. She has a good friend from high school that lives in Boston. She always comes here to visit but we've never gone out there. Also I'm not going to make my first trip out there for a game and not make it a home game.

well start practicing your jerkoff boston accent now, lol

Personally think it is dumb, change for changes sake.

If they are going to do it, go to 17, eliminate the last pre-season. Call it a day.

BZ

What do you do for 17 games though? 1 neutral site? Cannot have some teams with more home games... and even a neutral site most likely wont be neutral...

Has to be 16 or 18...

What do you do for 17 games though? 1 neutral site? Cannot have some teams with more home games... and even a neutral site most likely wont be neutral...

Has to be 16 or 18...

Go year to year. One year you play more away, the next year you play more home.

BZ

17 games would be the best option, IMO, as long as one game is played at a neutral stadium each year. That way everyone still has their 8 home and 8 away. Also, an odd number of games would make you either a winning team or a losing team. No one could finish .500.

Doesn't seem too difficult. There are a lot of stadiums out there that are big enough to host an NFL game.

Yes the point is great way to win over NFL fan base- who is going to want to watch Detroit-bengals in Missouri?

17 games would be the best option, IMO, as long as one game is played at a neutral stadium each year. That way everyone still has their 8 home and 8 away. Also, an odd number of games would make you either a winning team or a losing team. No one could finish .500.

That makes no sense and would be a logistical and commercial nightmare for the league.

Yes the point is great way to win over NFL fan base- who is going to want to watch Detroit-bengals in Missouri?

It would give more fans access to NFL games. Sure, no one would want to watch the Lions vs the Bengals in Missouri. But no one wants to watch the Lions vs the Bengals in Detroit or Cincinnati either.

That makes no sense and would be a logistical and commercial nightmare for the league.

How so?

My bad. I was think about something else. 17 weeks wouldn't work because teams would not have the same amount of home & road games.

It would be a ridiculous advantage for the team with 9 home games.

The 1 game out the US is silly too.

That's what I think the league wants to do, though. They're global. They love their couple of international games every year, how great would it be for them to have 16 of them every season! A few games in Europe, Canada, Mexico, team's are gonna love it when they draw the New Zealand card... Neutral sites where they're looking to drum up NFL business like LA, Salt Lake, Hawaii (especially if they move the Pro Bowl), etc.

The best way for them to make more money is to expand the number of people they reach. I'd bet the league and the players both prefer the 17 game option - if for different reasons. The players will bitch about one more dangerous game that counts, and will really be pissed about two - unless they're paid accordingly, of course.

Why mess with a good thing?

The way the season plays out now is perfect, if you don't want big name players getting hurt in meaningless games then don't play them.

What's the difference if a player gets hurt in the last preseason game or the first game of the season?

Either way he is done for x amount of time. The beating these players take on their bodies throughout the year is already pushing it, now add 2 full more games and 2 full more weeks of practice and we get a duller version of the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Plus it will skew records that are already blown out compared to other years.

So that means 16 games on neutral fields. I guess it could be done but I agree, it would be hard to fill stadiums around the country with two teams from other areas.

Sure, Cowboys - Eagles in Oakland might sell, but would Lions vs Cardinals in New England sell?

Again, just do every other year. One year you have 9 home games, the next year 8.

BZ

So that means 16 games on neutral fields. I guess it could be done but I agree, it would be hard to fill stadiums around the country with two teams from other areas.

Sure, Cowboys - Eagles in Oakland might sell, but would Lions vs Cardinals in New England sell?

Again, just do every other year. One year you have 9 home games, the next year 8.

BZ

When that one extra home game is given to a team in your division and it costs you the difference between making the playoffs and not, it becomes a huge advantage/disadvantage.

It would give more fans access to NFL games. Sure, no one would want to watch the Lions vs the Bengals in Missouri. But no one wants to watch the Lions vs the Bengals in Detroit or Cincinnati either.

How so?

Finding stadiums big enough to use won't be a problem, finding them during football season would. Most of those stadiums are used on Saturdays for college games and couldn't be made ready in time, plus college stadiums are missing two things the NFL would require to host games: luxury boxes and beer taps.

Plus, a lot of the games would have limited appeal. Sure, somebody might love to see a Steelers-Cowboys game at a neutral site but do you really think either of those teams would allow that game to be played on a nuetral site? Nobody in Boise is going to want to go see the Lions play the Raiders on the blue field.

Just a guess, but I'd think the better matchups would play domestically where the locals are more familiar with the sport, and the lesser matchups would be shown abroad where they'd just be glad to have a game.

The Cowboys are a huge draw in Mexico, the Seahawks have a loyal Alaskan base... they'd probably try to work those biases in, too.

Just a guess, but I'd think the better matchups would play domestically where the locals are more familiar with the sport, and the lesser matchups would be shown abroad where they'd just be glad to have a game.

The Cowboys are a huge draw in Mexico, the Seahawks have a loyal Alaskan base... they'd probably try to work those biases in, too.

But now we encounter a new problem. If we put the Cowboys in Mexico City because they have a huge fan base down there, it's no longer really a "neutral" site, is it?

But now we encounter a new problem. If we put the Cowboys in Mexico City because they have a huge fan base down there, it's no longer really a "neutral" site, is it?

Yeah, you're right. But the league will sweep that little inconsistency under the rug when they fill a stadium with 120,000 fans and sell a gazillion jerseys.

I like the 18 game season. I understand the more games = more injuries stance. I would like to see a 19 week schedule. Start a week earlier, eliminate a preseason game. give each team 2 bye weeks. I know people do not like the 2 bye week system but this is how i would break it down.

weeks 7,8,9, and 10 would be the first bye weeks. 2 divisions off per week.

all teams play 11,12,13,14

now week 15 would either be a universal bye for everyone or it could be the week the NFL features the out of the country game for sunday night and a monday night game, than those 4 teams would have week 16 off.

having a week 15 bye for everyone gives every team a chance to get as healthy as possible for the final 4 game stretch 16,17,18,19.

It would also be cool to have a 4 game weekend. Maybe saturday night, sunday doubleheader(4 oclock start, and sunday night), than monday night. This would be interesting because the NFL can have the best 4 possible matchups for this weekend. or 3 if you play the international game.

one of the main selling points is this would drop the super bowl on the sunday before presidents day which most people have off for anyway.

just my idea :)

the player will simply say this;

1 million for 16 games means 1,062,500 for 17 games, etc etc etc

pay up or we strike

the owners will counter with the old "but we'll make it 3 preseason games"

the the players will say , "exhibitions don't count"

round and round we go

I think cool heads will prevail and this idea will die

Unless the nfl did something else kinda interesting, like one game being played in a neutral stadium. It would be a way for the nfl to branch out to other markets, either international or nationally, like at college stadiums. I am sure alk would like to see a pro game or two before he dies and the leash his wife has around his balls doesn't reach all the way to new england, lol.

Has to be 16 or 18...

Playing at a neutral site- how is that going to work- how can they do 17 games schedule that way?

Doesn't seem too difficult. There are a lot of stadiums out there that are big enough to host an NFL game.

There is a lot of talk about a stadium being built in LA, playing 8 or 9 neutral site games in it would be one way to get the NFL there without actually having to give them a team.

Archived