how can they draft a WR?

bitonti

if they don't know who the QB is gonna be?

teams usually take WR in round 1 with the idea of giving options to a franchise level QB. I.e. Payton Manning needs another WR let's draft Reggie Wayne. Big Ben needs another WR let's draft Santonio Holmes. or alternatively Donovan McNabb needs another WR let's draft Freddie Mitchell ;)

My point is these teams know who the QB is going to be, they know what kind of targets he needs, and can evaluate the WR in that light. They at least have an idea of what kind of QB the guy is and what kind of WR he prefers. This year, Eli Manning needs a target for example... that's a pick that makes sense for that team...

Do teams without good QBs draft WR? Yes they can but these players are usually flat out studs like Calvin Johnson or Braylon Edwards. And even those teams had "Starters" like Kitna and Anderson. but only rarely will a team without a defined starting QB draft a WR in round 1. It's just hard to answer the question "will this player help us" without knowing who the QB is... again unless it's a Calvin Johnson type you know he's gonna help everyone.

So the Jets, without knowing who their starting QB is, are going to take a WR at 17? i don't see it. That's a seperate question from will they take a TE, QB, RB, DB, DE whatever. I think if they trade down then WR becomes a real possibility. but a first round pick on a WR when they don't know the QB doesn't jive with me... thoughts?

Edited by bitonti

Bit, your point lacks historical foundation.

The Steelers drafted Plaxico Burris (8th overall) with Kordell Stewart as their starting QB.

The Rams drafted Torry Holt (6th overall) with Tony Banks as their starting QB.

The Colts drafted Marvin Harrison (19th overall) with Jim Harbaugh as their starter.

The Bucs drafted Michael Clayton (15th overall) with Brian Griese as their starter.

The Chiefs drafted Dwayne Bowe (23rd overall) with Damon Huard as their starter

The list goes on and on. Your examples really are the exception, not the rule.

Teams draft 1st round WRs when there is a need for a WR.

Looks like everyone's piling on correctly. The team has needs help on offense, and if a WR presents the best value/need ratio, the Jets should pounce. Whoever QB's the team in '09 is gonna need all the assistance they can get.

teams usually take WR in round 1 with the idea of giving options to a franchise level QB. I.e. Payton Manning needs another WR let's draft Reggie Wayne. Big Ben needs another WR let's draft Santonio Holmes. or alternatively Donovan McNabb needs another WR let's draft Freddie Mitchell ;)

My point is these teams know who the QB is going to be, they know what kind of targets he needs, and can evaluate the WR in that light. They at least have an idea of what kind of QB the guy is and what kind of WR he prefers. This year, Eli Manning needs a target for example... that's a pick that makes sense for that team...

Do teams without good QBs draft WR? Yes they can but these players are usually flat out studs like Calvin Johnson or Braylon Edwards. And even those teams had "Starters" like Kitna and Anderson. but only rarely will a team without a defined starting QB draft a WR in round 1. It's just hard to answer the question "will this player help us" without knowing who the QB is... again unless it's a Calvin Johnson type you know he's gonna help everyone.

So the Jets, without knowing who their starting QB is, are going to take a WR at 17? i don't see it. That's a seperate question from will they take a TE, QB, RB, DB, DE whatever. I think if they trade down then WR becomes a real possibility. but a first round pick on a WR when they don't know the QB doesn't jive with me... thoughts?

On the one hand I think you can draft for a system pretty easily. On the other, I just want to see them get the best talent available to them at 17.

If you are drafting for system it puts limitations on who you can get. So hypothetically if Sanchez is there at 17 and you see him as just a WCO guy, and you don't plan on running that system you will have to pass or decide to change schemes.

If you know you are going to go WCO or whatever variation you are dreaming up, go for the typical possession, YAC guys to fit the positions needs. If you are going to run more of a Coryell which it looks like we are heading towards, then go get some downfield threats who can run the medium to long routes and have speed and seperation to get it done quickly before the QB gets himself killed.

But I don't think not having a QB precludes you from getting a WR. I think we tend to overthink this stuff too much sometimes. If we go get a talented WR, then a good NFL coach will adapt the system to make sure he is getting the most out of that talent. So while I'd absolutely hate to see the Jets pick up another Santana Moss type, if we do I would expect Schotty to find a way to get the guy in space and not try to have him out there playing up on the line.

Oh and about Eli needing a 6'4+ WR to pull his jump balls out of the air and make him look good, that is just an example of a tall rangy WR covering up for a QBs accuracy issues.

I'd rather help an unproven QB by providing him with weapons rather than draft an unproven QB leaving him with no weapons.

+ 1.

Rody White and Derrick Mason played a HUGE part in the success of young Qb's. Granted, they are veteran WR's, but the concept is the same. A great WR can help a young Qb out in a major way.

Bit, your point lacks historical foundation.

The Steelers drafted Plaxico Burris (8th overall) with Kordell Stewart as their starting QB.

The Rams drafted Torry Holt (6th overall) with Tony Banks as their starting QB.

The Colts drafted Marvin Harrison (19th overall) with Jim Harbaugh as their starter.

The Bucs drafted Michael Clayton (15th overall) with Brian Griese as their starter.

The Chiefs drafted Dwayne Bowe (23rd overall) with Damon Huard as their starter

The list goes on and on. Your examples really are the exception, not the rule.

Teams draft 1st round WRs when there is a need for a WR.

Thank You.

We will have a QB, we will need a WR. period. We are not running the option or the wishbone.

we need to trade up and grab crabtree or maclin or trade #17 for edwards than there's no way they can put 8 in the box as ratliff and clemens showed that they can throw long.

washington

keller

clowney

crabtree/maclin/edwards?

all of a sudden we will have a high power offense off 1 extra player that can stretch the field.

we need to trade up and grab crabtree or maclin or trade #17 for edwards than there's no way they can put 8 in the box as ratliff and clemens showed that they can throw long.

washington

keller

clowney

crabtree/maclin/edwards?

all of a sudden we will have a high power offense off 1 extra player that can stretch the field.

Crabtree isn't exactly a burner.

Your pretty much saying we can't draft any offensive player because our QB is unknown.

Chad Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, Santana Moss, David Boston...it happens pretty often. Not the exact route I'd like to go but I'd rather draft a good receiver at 17 then an overrated/****ty quaterback (sanchez).

You forgot about Larry Fitzgerald. Took him 2nd in the country when their QB was Josh McCown.