New York City is still a Yankee town

Morrissey

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/03/25/2009-03-25_big_apple_still_loves_the_yankees_best__.html

Big Apple still loves the Yankees best - except in Queens, poll finds

BY OREN YANIV

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Wednesday, March 25th 2009, 5:23 PM

New York City is still a Yankee town, a new poll found Wednesday, less than two weeks before Opening Day.

Among the New Yorkers who expressed interest in big-league baseball, more than half - 56% - pledged alliance to the Bronx Bombers and only a third said they root for the Mets, a Quinnipiac poll found.

In a theoretical Subway Series, the Yanks are fan favorites, 55% to 42%, holding an edge in every borough but Queens, where the Amazin's play.

"Except for Queens, New York City still is the home of the Bronx Bombers," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

When it comes to popular players, Derek Jeter remains King of the Diamond. The veteran shortstop was the favorite Yankee of 48% of Bombers' fans.

Alex Rodriguez, the team's beleaguered third baseman, came in a distant second with 9%, down from 15% at the end of his MVP season in 2007.

"A-Rod's off-field antics are taking a toll on his popularity," Carroll noted, referring to the slugger's recent steroid-use admission, hooker hookup revelations and a mirror-kissing photo spread.

Among Mets fans, the young infield duo of David Wright, at 27%, and Jose Reyes, 17%, garnered the most fan support.

Nearly equal numbers of fans plan to visit the teams' new stadiums, which open this season: 30% said they'll go to the new Yankee Stadium and 29% to Citi Field, the poll found.

You know it's a slow news week when it's "revealed" that New York is Yankee town. What next? A poll showing that the Giants are more popular than the Jets?

Longevity+Championships = ownership

Don't think this is a huge thing.

New York is basically..

25% Hard Core Yankees fans

25% Hard Core Mets Fans

The other 50 percent are basically bandwagoners who go with whoever is winning at the time.

Wait... so if this poll was just taken... and neither team is a winning team... why are the Yankees leading by so much?

Don't think this is a huge thing.

New York is basically..

25% Hard Core Yankees fans

25% Hard Core Mets Fans

The other 50 percent are basically bandwagoners who go with whoever is winning at the time.

Ok, so what you're saying is that the scientific poll conducted by the experts at Quinnipiac is way off, and that you know the real numbers by just pulling them out of your ass?

Makes sense to me.

What a surprise.... not. :D

Its meaningless to me. I root for the team I like best. I dont care if anyone else is a fan of theirs... doesnt change the enjoyment or pain I get from my teams. If its important to someone that they root for the most popular team.. well.. they are pathetic.

I don't think that you'll find too many people like that on a Jets message board.

Ok, so what you're saying is that the scientific poll conducted by the experts at Quinnipiac is way off, and that you know the real numbers by just pulling them out of your ass?

Makes sense to me.

Not saying it is way off.

When the Yankees were winning and the Mets sucked late 70's early 80's the Yankees owned New York. When the Mets were winning mid 80's to early 90's they owned the town. Yankee Stadium was a ghost town 89-92. Why ?

The Yankees took the city back when they started winning championships again in 96 and the Mets fell back.

The Yanks have been able to hold that for awhile now. If the Yanks go in the tank you will see a mass exodus of those fans head back over to watch the Mets.

Like I said. You have your hard core fans that no matter how good or how bad their team is they are going to go and support thier team. Then you have those that go with a winner.

When the Yankees were winning and the Mets sucked late 70's early 80's the Yankees owned New York. When the Mets were winning mid 80's to early 90's they owned the town. Yankee Stadium was a ghost town 89-92. Why ?

The Yankees were awful from 89-92. Those were the lean years.

1989: 74-87

1990: 67-95

1991: 71-91

1992: 76-86

Interesting to note that the Mets have not outdraw the Yankees in attendance since 1992.

The Yankees took the city back when they started winning championships again in 96 and the Mets fell back.

The Yanks have been able to hold that for awhile now. If the Yanks go in the tank you will see a mass exodus of those fans head back over to watch the Mets.

Like I said. You have your hard core fans that no matter how good or how bad their team is they are going to go and support thier team. Then you have those that go with a winner.

I'll give you that there bandwagoners. But those people don't switch back and forth on their teams. They are either into their team when they're winning, or they stop paying attention when they're not.

In a poll like this, those people are included. The Mets haven't exactly been a terrible team for the past few years. If you rooted for the Mets in the 80's, I highly, highly doubted you answered "Yankees" when asked what your favorite team is now just because Yanks had a dynasty a decade ago.

There's no getting around the fact that there are, always have been, and always will be more Yankee fans in this town.

I'll give you that there bandwagoners. But those people don't switch back and forth on their teams. They are either into their team when they're winning, or they stop paying attention when they're not.

In a poll like this, those people are included. The Mets haven't exactly been a terrible team for the past few years. If you rooted for the Mets in the 80's, I highly, highly doubted you answered "Yankees" when asked what your favorite team is now just because Yanks had a dynasty a decade ago.

There's no getting around the fact that there are, always have been, and always will be more Yankee fans in this town.

What it is Guido is that kids, tweens, teens, people who are BECOMING true fans will usually follow the bandwagon. So you get that shift in power whenever a NY team makes a run at the championship, those people and kids jump on the bandwagon and then when the team gets bad or isn't winning rings anymore people fall off the wagon and stop paying attention. They still call themselves "fans" but I know plenty of people if you ask them they'll say "Yea I'm a yankees fan" but outside of the obvious they couldn't name out players.

I don't think Shawn is far off in his statement. I've always thought the idea that "NY is a this and that" town is dumb. You're gonna get swings, always. It's wonderful having a city with so many teams, having one main team is so freaking annoying. Everyone here would eat whatever **** the Trailblazers put on the floor. That's because they're the only show in town.

This is a poll of NOW>..and right now neither team is winning ****... and the Yanks are more popular... what mroe do you need to know? Stop trying to spin it...

Guess you don't remember the 80's?

Who cares who the vast population likes better. The vast population, as a whole, can be pretty damn ignorant.

No story here.

Remember the 80's? It may be fair to say that most Yankee fans on this board were either born late 80's early 90's. That's the way it is, you'll have your hardcore fans either way, but the young'uns will root for the more successful team at the time. Teenagers are so fickle and easily influenced.

Then again, I've even heard folks on this board tell everyone they've been a hardcore fan since the age of 2. How that is possible is beyond my comprehension.

Guess you don't remember the 80's?

Who cares who the vast population likes better. The vast population, as a whole, can be pretty damn ignorant.

No story here.

I remember the 80's very well.

So if you don't care, why post? Why throw that comment out there? You have to be ignorant to be a Yankee fan? I think your entire post indicates that theory is off. By a lot.

I remember the 80's very well.

So if you don't care, why post? Why throw that comment out there? You have to be ignorant to be a Yankee fan? I think your entire post indicates that theory is off. By a lot.

In all reality no one cares which team has more fans, but when you present misinformation on a public message board you'll more than likely get challenged. From what I've heard and I could be wrong is that New York has historically been a NL town. I am not old enough to remember the Giants/Dodgers etc. It is a fact the 80's were rule by the Mets, present day not so much.

Remember the 80's? It may be fair to say that most Yankee fans on this board were either born late 80's early 90's. That's the way it is, you'll have your hardcore fans either way, but the young'uns will root for the more successful team at the time. Teenagers are so fickle and easily influenced.

Then again, I've even heard folks on this board tell everyone they've been a hardcore fan since the age of 2. How that is possible is beyond my comprehension.

I was born in 82 and my friends growing up loved the Mets. Lots of my friends had parents from Queens. I just loved Donnie Baseball.

Just because the Yankees are more popular right now seems to give some Met fans an idea that their so much superior because their fan base is pure. Please.

I've been a fan since I was 6 years old, you do the math. I actually don't mind the Mets, if they're not playing the Yankees I cheer for them. Apparently the only people who are past the age of 20 on this board must be Met fans.

I was born in 82 and my friends growing up loved the Mets. Lots of my friends had parents from Queens. I just loved Donnie Baseball.

Just because the Yankees are more popular right now seems to give some Met fans an idea that their so much superior because their fan base is pure. Please.

I've been a fan since I was 6 years old, you do the math. I actually don't mind the Mets, if they're not playing the Yankees I cheer for them. Apparently the only people who are past the age of 20 on this board must be Met fans.

No such thing as a "pure" fan base.

No such thing as a "pure" fan base.

Exactly. Sometimes some Met fans love to just say "classless Yankee fans." and blah blah.

Some guys don't know how to handle being a fan of a winning franchise. Personally I think being both a Yankee and Jet fan balances me out. I've known the thrill of a Championship from my team and the agony of being a fan of them.

Maybe it's because I've moved out from the NY area, but I seriously do root for the Mets if they're not playing the Yankees.

Not at all. I respect Yankee fans that have gone through the lean years and such. It is the 15-22 year olds who have known nothing but success that can be a nuisance and blatantly annoying. I am sure if the Mets win 3-4 rings in the next 10 years, you'll see a lot of annoying 15 year old Met fans.

Not at all. I respect Yankee fans that have gone through the lean years and such. It is the 15-22 year olds who have known nothing but success that can be a nuisance and blatantly annoying. I am sure if the Mets win 3-4 rings in the next 10 years, you'll see a lot of annoying 15 year old Met fans.

As you said the "lean years" usually thins out the fan base. Sure those people will always say "I'm a Yankee/Met fan" but they don't follow the team. The don't know the small things. They don't care that we signed Nick Swisher. That Mike Pelfrey is a key to your success. That Brett Gardner has looked good this spring training.

They just care when you're about to clinch a title. And who cares, that's the way life is, some people are followers and some people decide to stick through the crap to make the victories that much sweeter.

The Yankees were awful from 89-92. Those were the lean years.

1989: 74-87

1990: 67-95

1991: 71-91

1992: 76-86

Interesting to note that the Mets have not outdraw the Yankees in attendance since 1992.

Yes and that 92 Mets team was termed at the time "The worst team Money Could Buy. That year sent the Mets back into the abyss.

I believe that the contrary is true, but it doesn't really mean anything in the scheme of things.

New York has historically been a National League town. From supporting 2 teams, to the Dodgers outdrawing the Yankees with a much smaller ball park, to absolutely horrible Mets teams coming close to Yankees attendance, for the most part it's been a National league town.

The Yanks have been more popular recently, mainly because they've been more successful. When they stink, the attendance and attention falls way off. Same with the Mets. In the mid 80's, the same buzz around the Yankees now was all around the Mets.

One thing I will agree is that there are more Yankee fans among the media contingent in New York. Both teams have gigantic bases and devoted fans, so like I said above, this really doesn't mean s***.

You don't think the Mets were the more popular team in the 80's?

No. What I know for a fact is that the Mets sold more tickets as a result of

1) being more successful on the field in the 80's

2) The South Bronx in the mid-80's was one of the worst neighborhoods in NY and everyone knew it. Besides being a bad team, people avoided games for that reason alone as well. Things did not start to improve until the end of the decade and into the 90's.

But overall, Mattingly and the Yankees were still exceedingly more popular. The polls held true at that time as well. Ticket sales were meaningless. The fans were still out there.

Try to spin that "NL town" stuff, but it only applies to the Giants and Dodgers. The Mets do not inheret that. Those teams, as well as the Yankees, were teams with rich histories and real home-neighborhood connections. The Mets never had an identity like those teams did or a connection to the community. Meanwhile, the Yankees are the greatest and most historic team in the history of sports. The Mets are like their cute little adopted cousin.

Archived