About RB's why is noone talking about him....

lancemehl

J. Caulrick- UDFA from Michigan State 25 years old

The guy's 6' 250 pounds!!!!

It's his first year, am I missing something? Please school me. Because his measurables are getting me aroused. LOL

I can't wait until preseason.

He's #39 and he can make our Running game special......If he could play!

HERE's HIS SCOUTING REPORT( he was a FB when he got to the Spartans but played RB) and they said the magic words which i enlarged:

Jehuu Caulcrick is an absolutely massive specimen of a running back. The Michigan State senior has proved to be a rather valuable asset on the goal line this year.

Caulcrick rushed for 813 yards and 21 TDs and averaged 3.93 yards per carry, "down this year from his career 4.5 mark". He has gained 2336 yards for his career so far and has caught 26 passes for 233 yards. His 39 career touchdowns leaves him 1 touchdown away from averaging 10 per year.

Caulcrick runs low to the ground for a 6'0", 255 lbs. running back. He runs with tremendous power and always lowers his shoulder and delivers a hit at the end of his runs.

I love this:

Caulcrick has a similar style to New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs. He isn't quite as fast as Jacobs, but has nimble feet. He can cut back and find holes to power through. Caulcrick has good hands and will make a good receiver out of the backfield in the NFL. Caulcrick will have to prove at the combine he has the speed to play half back in the pros. He will also get a look from many teams as a full back. If Caulcrick can improve his blocking, he can play a hybrid role like Greg Jones in Jacksonville.

Why are we not talking about this dude. I love Brandon Jacobs, to be mentioned in the same sentence excites me. If nothing else, he's very likely to punch it in on the goaline, and we ALL know how important that is!!!! 4.5 career ypc. A guy that punishes LBers and softens them up for Neon Leon and TEEEJ.

I HAVE A NEW GUY.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Mehl, Thanks.

I hadnt really looked into this guy, but after you pointed out this thread and his name in the Leon thread, I checked him out.

The tape on this guy is impressive. I dont know how to post the youtube vid I was watching but it was sick. He's a beast with a good burst and is impossible to bring down. He looked more like Jerome Bettis than Brandon Jacobs to me, but still!!! Here's the link..

And his story is amazing. You might have introduced to my favorite underdog on the Jets. Check out the life this guy has lived...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehuu_Caulcrick

Major leauge project. A FB that can't/won't block. He is interesting as a short yardage back, but he looked like **** against the bartenders and firemen last year. Extremely raw and I'm actually a fan.

Yeah, but Chatman stole the show. He was sick during the preseason.

I would like to see him get some carries. The Ravens used McClain a lot in their running game. Now I know Rex did run the offense, but they had a lot of success with him. All indications are pointed toward a power running game, this might be a nice option.

And I have to root for him after reading his story.

Yeah, but Chatman stole the show. He was sick during the preseason.

I would like to see him get some carries. The Ravens used McClain a lot in their running game. Now I know Rex did run the offense, but they had a lot of success with him. All indications are pointed toward a power running game, this might be a nice option.

And I have to root for him after reading his story.

Everybody is rooting for him. We were rooting for him last year too, but he looked like ****. Don't compare him to McClain. He ran like **** in the preseason and looked a little lost. Hopefully he learned something on the practice squad.

Everybody is rooting for him. We were rooting for him last year too, but he looked like ****. Don't compare him to McClain. He ran like **** in the preseason and looked a little lost. Hopefully he learned something on the practice squad.

I never compared him to McClain. I never made any predictions.

I said I would like to see him get the ball to see what he can do and I am pulling for him because the guys has been through some ****. I mean, he is already a success story, but it would be cool if he made the roster.

He didn't even average 4 yards a carry in college.

He didn't average 4 yards a carry that one season, not for his career. In one year he could get a disproportionate amount of his carries in short-yardage. In one year he could have a nagging injury that doesn't affect his power but does affect his moves or shiftiness (if he had any to begin with). In one year his run-blocking could be pathetic. In one year the playcalling couldn't be more obvious. Or he could just be nothing special which, while I'd absolutely like him to work out & wanted us to draft him late before we picked him up as a UDFA last year, is probably the most likely thing.

We need to add a RB with more of a capability of being a number 1 guy down the road. We don't have the luxury of carrying a guy who is only worth playing in short yardage.

What do you base that on? We didn't even carry three HB's last year that everyone else does. Two HB's and one FB. That was the roster for the 2008 Jets.

With Leon likely to get extended, and Jones going nowhere for a year, I'd say carrying a short-yardage back is a necessity more than a luxury.

Such a back is only bad for fantasy football.

Who gives a crap if one guy is technically labeled as the "#1 guy" or "every down" back? We had that with Martin for years & years & it won us absolutely nothing except jersey sales.

If we draft one, fine. If we don't draft one & address it in next year's draft, it's also fine.

I'm not sold on Caulcrick. He's yet to really prove he can do anything in the NFL, it's one thing to impress in college, you have to consider that there's a reason he went undrafted. He's not Brandon Jacobs, he's not nearly as good an athlete. I'd sure as Hell give him a shot to be our short yardage guy which I really think if we had, we could have a dominating running game (If we don't already). Regardless of how many TD's Jones got last season, he still doesn't impress me in short yardage, it's something we need and with our offensive line playing as well as it is, a power back would be pretty hard to stop.

I've also stated before that I wouldn't mind drafting a RB (NOT Knowshon Moreno however), not only because Jones is getting up there in years AND reportedly unhappy but just to add even more strength to a running game which like I said has the potential to dominate teams next season. I have no doubt that our offense is going to be built around our running game and the stronger it is, the more help it provides for our QB.

He didn't average 4 yards a carry that one season, not for his career. In one year he could get a disproportionate amount of his carries in short-yardage. In one year he could have a nagging injury that doesn't affect his power but does affect his moves or shiftiness (if he had any to begin with). In one year his run-blocking could be pathetic. In one year the playcalling couldn't be more obvious. Or he could just be nothing special which, while I'd absolutely like him to work out & wanted us to draft him late before we picked him up as a UDFA last year, is probably the most likely thing.

What do you base that on? We didn't even carry three HB's last year that everyone else does. Two HB's and one FB. That was the roster for the 2008 Jets.

With Leon likely to get extended, and Jones going nowhere for a year, I'd say carrying a short-yardage back is a necessity more than a luxury.

Who gives a crap if one guy is technically labeled as the "#1 guy" or "every down" back? We had that with Martin for years & years & it won us absolutely nothing except jersey sales.

If we draft one, fine. If we don't draft one & address it in next year's draft, it's also fine.

So, next year when we are deciding whether to let a 32 year old TJ walk or not, you don't want to have a second year pro capable of being an every down back on your roster? Caulcrick is not Brandon Jacobs guys....he ran like a 4.7 in the forty.

Overview The latest example of a player with a halfback's mentality stuck in a fullback's body, Caulcrick is a productive interior runner who enjoyed a breakout senior campaign, scoring 21 rushing touchdowns for the Spartans. Caulcrick has the size and explosiveness as a short-yardage runner to remain at running back, but his lack of speed and elusiveness make his best shot at the NFL as a fullback. To do so, he'll have to demonstrate more tenacity and strength as a blocker.

So he is too slow to be a RB and not strong enough to be a FB... lol... Lance your a mess buddy...

So, next year when we are deciding whether to let a 32 year old TJ walk or not, you don't want to have a second year pro capable of being an every down back on your roster? Caulcrick is not Brandon Jacobs guys....he ran like a 4.7 in the forty.

So he is too slow to be a RB and not strong enough to be a FB... lol... Lance your a mess buddy...

Like Knowshawn Moreno? ;)

That is correct. I will not care if we don't have what is commonly thought of as a second year pro, who is assumed to be capable of being an every down back, on the roster heading into the draft.

That is correct. I will not care if we don't have what is commonly thought of as a second year pro, who is assumed to be capable of being an every down back, on the roster heading into the draft.

+1

I'd run Thomas Jones and his $900K salary into the ground this year, and draft his replacement next year. RB is a young man's position, a position where rookies frequently put up big numbers. Drafting one for the future is a bad plan. WR's and QB's need to be drafted for the future. RB's are ready out of the gate.

He didn't even average 4 yards a carry in college. We need to add a RB with more of a capability of being a number 1 guy down the road. We don't have the luxury of carrying a guy who is only worth playing in short yardage.

correction he averaged 4.5 in his 4 year college career.with 10 tds a year.

I'm not sold on Caulcrick. He's yet to really prove he can do anything in the NFL, it's one thing to impress in college, you have to consider that there's a reason he went undrafted. He's not Brandon Jacobs, he's not nearly as good an athlete. I'd sure as Hell give him a shot to be our short yardage guy which I really think if we had, we could have a dominating running game (If we don't already). Regardless of how many TD's Jones got last season, he still doesn't impress me in short yardage, it's something we need and with our offensive line playing as well as it is, a power back would be pretty hard to stop.

I've also stated before that I wouldn't mind drafting a RB (NOT Knowshon Moreno however), not only because Jones is getting up there in years AND reportedly unhappy but just to add even more strength to a running game which like I said has the potential to dominate teams next season. I have no doubt that our offense is going to be built around our running game and the stronger it is, the more help it provides for our QB.

He just got into the league, what are you basing it on. He had a stellar college career at Mich State, Not Michagan weat-noeth-central state, the actual spartans who play teams. He had 10TDs a years and averaged 4.5 ypc and started as a FB.

I'd say to move from FB to HB means you DO have excellent athletic ability for a big man.

Whay could he possibly have proved in the NFL when he hasn't played. Same as the Ratliff thing. How abvout Ainge, he's shown nothing.

Gholston showed nothing last year he looked like ****, are we done with him? By the way, he had to deal with Caulrick, I'd love to hear what it's like tackling that 250 monster.Or did he ever tackle him, I haven't seen much tackling at all from Gholston

LOL BTW in 2007 Caulcrick was 4 for 9 yards and Gholston had 2 tackles!!!! Why the **** did we get these bums????? LOL

I agree one hundred percent with sperm, who cares if he is the next "every down " back, although he might. We have drafts and FA, but it's perfectly legitimate to carry a short yardage back, most teams do, and he would double as a backup FB AND a special teams guy. A 250 FB converted to HB is EXACTLY the type of guy you want on special team coverage, remember Jerald Sowell.

Him on the roster with his colleg career of 4.5 ypc and 10 TDs a year will be a fine addition to our running game. Do you think ,with our O-line, we could get a yard with Caulcrick running behing T-Rich, I hope so.

HIS COLLEGE CAREER ( BTW, the career #'s came out a bit funky, YES that is 21 TD's in his senior year.)

Four-year letterman rushed for 2,395 career yards (4.5 avg.), ranking 10th all-time in MSU history . . . his 39 rushing TDs are second-best all-time at MSU, four behind Lorenzo White's record 43 . . . his 40 total touchdowns (39 rushing, one receiving) are good for third best in MSU history . . . his 532 career rushing attempts rank seventh most in Spartan history . . . AS A SENIOR: Honorable mention All-Big Ten selection by the media . . . Jerome Bettis-type running back was voted one of four captains by his teammates as a senior . . . led Big Ten and ranked 11th in the nation in scoring with 9.7 ppg. . . . his 21 rushing TDs in 2007 set a Michigan State single-season record and tied for the ninth-best season mark in Big Ten history . . . the 21 TDs were also the most total TDs in one season for a Spartan . . . scored the most points by a Spartan in one season with 126 in 2007, and his 240 career points are seventh most in MSU history . . . finished eighth in the Big Ten with 67.0 rushing ypg. . . . tallied career highs in yards (872) and carries (222) . . . preseason honorable mention All-America selection by Street & Smith's . . . named Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week after scoring a career-high four touchdowns vs. UAB, all in the first half, including the first three possessions . . . the four rushing TDs tied MSU's first-half record and tied for second most in a game in school history . . . scored on carries of 1, 5, 42 and 5 yards . . . his 42-yard score was the longest rushing TD of his career . . . only playing in the first half, finished with 93 yards on 10 carries (9.3 avg) . . . ran for 5-yard score in the third quarter to give MSU a 21-14 lead vs. Bowling Green . . . rushed for 71 yards on a then-career-best 21 carries (3.4 avg) vs. Pitt, including a 2-yard TD run in the first quarter . . . rushed for 83 yards on 20 carries (4.2 avg) at Notre Dame . . . scored two rushing TDs at Wisconsin, both 2-yard runs in the first quarter . . . finished with 73 yards on 17 carries (4.3 avg) . . . rushed for two TDs and 32 yards on 11 carries (2.9 avg) vs. Northwestern . . . crossed the 2,000-yard mark for his career with 94 yards on a then-career-high 23 carries (4.1 avg) vs. Indiana . . . scored three rushing TDs against the Hoosiers with runs of 1, 2 and 3 yards . . . scored three rushing TDs at Iowa . . . two came on 1-yard scores in the first half . . . his third TD came in the first overtime to give MSU a 27-20 lead . . . rushed for 84 yards vs. Michigan, his highest career rushing total in four games against the Wolverines . . . rushed for two TDs at Purdue, giving him 20 for the season and establishing an MSU single-season record . . . also set the MSU single-season record for total TDs in a season (20) . . . in addition, he set an MSU single-season record for points scored (120, previous record: 114 by Blake Ezor) . . . capped 17-point MSU comeback with game-winning 1-yard TD with 4:08 left in fourth quarter vs. Penn State . . . finished with 99 yards on 22 carries (4.5 avg), a career high against the Nittany Lions . . . rushed for 59 yards on 15 carries (3.9 avg) in Champs Sports Bowl . . . AS A JUNIOR: Appeared in 11 of 12 games, including six starts at running back (vs. Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Northwestern, Purdue and Minnesota) . . . sat out the Eastern Michigan game with a sprained foot . . . finished third on the team in rushing with 426 yards on 108 carries (3.9 avg.) . . . led the Spartans in rushing touchdowns (6 in 2006) for the second-straight year . . . scored at least one rushing TD in each of his first five games . . . rushed eight times for 111 yards vs. No. 12 Notre Dame, including a 30-yard TD run in the third quarter . . . had a season-high 17 carries for 64 yards at Pittsburgh and scored twice . . . gained 50 yards on 12 attempts in the season opener vs. Idaho, including a 2-yard TD run early in the fourth quarter . . . had a career-best 15 catches for 123 yards (8.2 avg.) . . . his first career TD reception, an 18-yarder from Drew Stanton midway through the third quarter at Northwestern, sparked MSU's second-half comeback . . . caught three passes for 28 yards vs. Illinois . . .

1273289.jpegspacer.gif

spacer.gifAS A SOPHOMORE: Saw action in all 11 games in 2005 . . . rushed 89 times for 478 yards (5.4 avg.) and a team-leading seven touchdowns . . . scored a rushing TD in four-consecutive games (against Michigan, Ohio State, Northwestern and Indiana) during a midseason stretch . . . gained 59 yards on 10 carries vs. Indiana, including a 1-yard TD plunge late in the third quarter . . . picked up 50 yards on seven attempts vs. Michigan, including a 1-yard TD run late in the second quarter . . . ran 10 times for 57 yards in the Big Ten opener vs. Illinois . . . earned the first start of his collegiate career vs. Notre Dame . . . led the team in rushing in the first two games of the 2005 season . . . rushed for 89 yards on a career-high 20 attempts vs. Hawaii . . . recorded his second career 100-yard game, rushing for 140 yards on 14 carries in the season opener vs. Kent State while scoring a career-best three TDs . . . his 40-yard run around right end set up his second TD against the Golden Flashes, a 5-yard gallop in the second quarter . . . caught five passes for 53 yards (10.6 avg.) . . . AS A FRESHMAN: Named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team by The Sporting News . . . appeared in 11 of 12 games in 2004 (DNP vs. Rutgers in the season opener) . . . ranked fourth on the team in rushing with 619 yards on 113 carries (5.5 avg.) . . . his five rushing touchdowns tied Drew Stanton for second on the team . . . gained a career-best 146 yards on 13 carries vs. Wisconsin, including a 1-yard TD run in the third quarter . . . his 59-yard gallop in the fourth quarter against the Badgers set up another score . . . carried the ball 13 times for 94 yards vs. Minnesota, including TD runs of 18 and 10 yards . . . picked up 85 rushing yards on 16 attempts vs. Illinois . . . had 14 rushes for 54 yards vs. Indiana . . . rushed for a team-high 85 yards on 15 carries vs. Notre Dame . . . ran 15 times for 67 yards in his collegiate debut vs. Central Michigan, including a 7-yard TD run in the third quarter . . . had one catch each vs. Penn State (21 yards) and Ohio State (6) . . .

his final stats:

RUSHING G Att Yds TD Lg Avg/C Avg/G

2004.......11 113 619 5 59 5.5 56.3

2005...... 11 89 478 7 40 5.4 43.5

2006.......11 108 426 6 30 3.9 38.7

2007.......13 222 872 21 42 3.9 67.1

TOTAL.....6 532 2395 39 59 4.5 52.1

I know you root for the underdogs, but do you like any good players?

EY, I love the he-man thing, and i like your posts, but the attacking with no substance just because it's me is dying, if you'll notice, heck even JiF and irish Jet are actuallt having civil football discussions, of course they mostly disagree and call me insane, which is fine...i think we all are.

But seeit's only you, ECURB and a couple others that do "drive by" posts, it just got old man, it's cool. I noticed a guy on our team who I like, I ,in fact, think he's good. His college career shows it, and I'm simply throwing it out there, this is ADVANCED jet talk, right. Or should i just say "well the Jets need a Qb,right?' "why yes they do"

Some peolpe like this guy, and yes I like Mangold, he's good. I also like Leon , he's pretty good.

I wonder what you would have said years back after Cotch's first year with the team if I said, "i like this kid, Jerricho Cotchery. " hmmmm I just wonder would you have agreed with lancemehl? (GASP!)

say something I can debate in football land, that's why we come here, not for you witty oneliners, though you may think.

+1

I'd run Thomas Jones and his $900K salary into the ground this year, and draft his replacement next year. RB is a young man's position, a position where rookies frequently put up big numbers. Drafting one for the future is a bad plan. WR's and QB's need to be drafted for the future. RB's are ready out of the gate.

Agreed, Curtis came out and went for a 1,000 year one and never looked back. Maroney, Leon, Edgerrin James, Warrick Dunn.....this isn't even a good list, the list is loaded, your point is well taken.

RB's are ready to go right away. Not to say that any position can't have a rookie phenom, but with RB's it's usually more expected, i fully expect to be taking a RB in round 2 with a WR in 1, and possibly another, like 4. That's of course, if we don't give picks away for Cutler.

I have to say, I'm not sold on Thomas Jones.Sorry, I love him as a Jet and I love what he did for us last years, he was a team MVP candidate, but i wouldn't be too surprised if he didn't perform, that's why I'd say a 2nd round RB is very likely.

...i fully expect to be taking a RB in round 2 with a WR in 1, and possibly another, like 4. That's of course, if we don't give picks away for Cutler.

I have to say, I'm not sold on Thomas Jones.Sorry, I love him as a Jet and I love what he did for us last years, he was a team MVP candidate, but i wouldn't be too surprised if he didn't perform, that's why I'd say a 2nd round RB is very likely.

The Jets might take a RB early if one emerges as the clear BAP, but there's no one that they target one. TJ is by no means my favorite Jet, but he's plenty serviceable as a primary back. He's in excellent condition with relatively low miles, and coming off an AFC rushing title. He can be trusted one more year, especially if Leon's carries pick up.

As for Caulcrick, he's a project on this level. If he can be a solid blocker and short yardage guy that takes over for Richardson next year, that'd be great. He'll need to make his bones on special teams, though, as you suggested.

+1

Yeah. Draft someone in round 2 (or later). Great idea. Then they get a 4 year contract maximum (by CBA rules). Year one of that contract he's a backup. Then we get 2 years to use him and after year 3 we have to give him an extension or lose a RB in his prime in his mid-20's or risk him doing a holdout all summer while seeking an extension with a huge bonus.

There are better ways of addressing the RB position than drafting someone before he is needed.

Yeah. Draft someone in round 2 (or later). Great idea. Then they get a 4 year contract maximum (by CBA rules). Year one of that contract he's a backup. Then we get 2 years to use him and after year 3 we have to give him an extension or lose a RB in his prime in his mid-20's or risk him doing a holdout all summer while seeking an extension with a huge bonus.

There are better ways of addressing the RB position than drafting someone before he is needed.

..or you can stash them on the practice squad. Like Ward and Ware.

Archived