Mafia Game 3 - Not All in the Family..

CTM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool setup, CTM.

I like the switcharoo with the town being the mafia and the mafia being the stoolies.

+1 - I've actually been toying with a "bad guys are really the good guys" setup but couldn't figure it out (because I was too damn stupid to think "mafia", apparently) :biggrin:

OK, 18 players - that means we should expect 4-5 mafia (I'd guess 4, including a godfather, to balance out the game).

Oh, and I'm here (but I've got passover shopping/cooking to do this weekend, plus we're taking the kids to Ringling Bros. tomorrow, so don't expect to see me much until Monday, when (being at work) I'll be able to spend hours goofing off).

Oh, and vote: Bleedin. He's won two straight games as scum without any pressure on him until end game. So, just in case I lose to him again, I'm putting this vote out so I can say "I told you so" later :box::biggrin:

+1 - I've actually been toying with a "bad guys are really the good guys" setup but couldn't figure it out (because I was too damn stupid to think "mafia", apparently) :biggrin:

OK, 18 players - that means we should expect 4-5 mafia (I'd guess 4, including a godfather, to balance out the game).

Oh, and I'm here (but I've got passover shopping/cooking to do this weekend, plus we're taking the kids to Ringling Bros. tomorrow, so don't expect to see me much until Monday, when (being at work) I'll be able to spend hours goofing off).

Oh, and vote: Bleedin. He's won two straight games as scum without any pressure on him until end game. So, just in case I lose to him again, I'm putting this vote out so I can say "I told you so" later :box::biggrin:

Godfather, as in head informer. Or are you equating the godfather with the role of a the doc or cop?

I've got a couple ideas about how the game might be set up, too, including the "serial killer," angle. Seems this game construction could easily lend itself to a rogue murderer.

Godfather, as in head informer. Or are you equating the godfather with the role of a the doc or cop?

Godfather, as in scum who comes up innocent on investigation. Because the number of players in this game isn't divisible by 4, there are either too many non-townies for a classic 75% townie-25% non townie game (in which case the town is at a disadvantage, and the game is likely balanced by increased town power roles - cop, doc, role blocker, masons, etc.) or there are too many townies (in which case the scum is at a disadvantage and the game is likely balanced by providing the scum with additional powers - like the godfather role, i.e. a scum who comes up innocent on investigation, or a symp, or something else).

Which is why I'm saying it's likely either 4 mafia with a godfather (because without something like that and only 4 players, the mafia are in trouble) or 5 mafia and no godfather (because with a 5 man team, a godfather would be overkill).

I've got a couple ideas about how the game might be set up, too, including the "serial killer," angle. Seems this game construction could easily lend itself to a rogue murderer.

Why is that? Not really hinted at in the setup, although that might also balance things if there are too many townies

To be clear:

Setting: Primo Family Compound

14307.jpg

Night had just fallen when news broke. Mario had been taken down. Murder, racketeering, embezzlement, you name it, they charged him with it. And the thing is that they had the goods. Evidence out the wazoo. So much so that even the family's sleazy lawyer couldn't get him off. Dead to rights. He'd go to prison for life unless he flipped. But Mario was a stand up guy. He took his own life rather then rot in some stinken cell or turn on the family.

There was only 1 possible explanation for the abundance of evidence, the family had been infiltrated. Stoolies, rat's, maybe even undercover swine, someone, or something was on the other side of the law.

Now nobody trusts noone, but the threats to the family must be eliminated before you whack out so many real wise guys that there's no family left.

Each day you will vote to whack one of the remaining players, a bullet to the back of the head will do. The family wins when all threats to it have been eliminated.

Happy hunting!

So, by the transitive property, everyone trusts someone!

Godfather, as in scum who comes up innocent on investigation. Because the number of players in this game isn't divisible by 4, there are either too many non-townies for a classic 75% townie-25% non townie game (in which case the town is at a disadvantage, and the game is likely balanced by increased town power roles - cop, doc, role blocker, masons, etc.) or there are too many townies (in which case the scum is at a disadvantage and the game is likely balanced by providing the scum with additional powers - like the godfather role, i.e. a scum who comes up innocent on investigation, or a symp, or something else).

Which is why I'm saying it's likely either 4 mafia with a godfather (because without something like that and only 4 players, the mafia are in trouble) or 5 mafia and no godfather (because with a 5 man team, a godfather would be overkill).

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's a symp?

Why is that? Not really hinted at in the setup, although that might also balance things if there are too many townies

Well, I was thinking the game balance thing and the fact that a side killer makes the game more interesting. I'd watch out for two distinct MO's when bodies start showing up in the morning - a la game #1.

And also this...

There was only 1 possible explanation for the abundance of evidence, the family had been infiltrated. Stoolies, rat's, maybe even undercover swine, someone, or something was on the other side of the law.

Which could be general paranoia, or foreshadowing.

Found a cool page with roles on it, it says:

Symp - A player who wins with the Mafia, but is not a member of the mafia. So the Mafia do not know the identity of the Symp and the Symp does not need to be killed for the Town to win. A Moderator may grant the Symp investigation immunity and/or knowledge of the Mafia, depending on the game.

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php?topic=23116.0%3Bwap2

4 cops and an informant maybe. Or maybe 3 cops, and the informant is the godfather, which would make sense I think. Or 4 cops and the informant could be a serial killer. Sweet idea for a game, btw.

Thats a lot of cops. I ****ing hate cops.

Symp - A player who wins with the Mafia, but is not a member of the mafia. So the Mafia do not know the identity of the Symp and the Symp does not need to be killed for the Town to win. A Moderator may grant the Symp investigation immunity and/or knowledge of the Mafia, depending on the game.

Thanks.

That's an interesting thing to consider. Does the Symp get NK abilities as well? That could possibly balance the game as well instead of a pure Serial killer.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's a symp?

Wow I guess everyone really is busy today.

JVOR: I'm just guessing, but I'd say a symp is the opposite of a Miller (innocent who comes up guilty upon investigation), or is that just a godfather?

Thanks.

That's an interesting thing to consider. Does the Symp get NK abilities as well? That could possibly balance the game as well instead of a pure Serial killer.

No, a symp is basically an extra vote/support for the mafia - he acts to protect the mafia and to vote off townies - but he doesn't get a night kill and can't communicate with the mafia off the thread (though a smart symp will signal, somehow - something to keep an eye out for, and if JVoR wasn't a relative newb, I'd be all over the whole "what's a symp" question :biggrin:).

Useful link. Thanks!

I'm just checking back in. Not suspicious of anyone yet. I'm heading out to the GF's in a little while and may not be able to check back in until tomorrow morning. Just want to get that out there in case the game starts rolling without me.

No, a symp is basically an extra vote/support for the mafia - he acts to protect the mafia and to vote off townies - but he doesn't get a night kill and can't communicate with the mafia off the thread (though a smart symp will signal, somehow - something to keep an eye out for, and if JVoR wasn't a relative newb, I'd be all over the whole "what's a symp" question :biggrin:).

I legitimately didn't know such a role existed. Didn't have it the first two games. And thanks for bumping me up from total newb to relative newb. :cheers:

I've played quite a few games, and I've never heard of that one either.

All that having been said, I agree with your assessment of the game for the most part.

I think it's fairly obvious we have a "Doctor" who is, in this game, known as a lawyer.

We'd have to guess there is an 'investigator' of sorts.

The number in this game itself makes things changing as we have a great deal of players to keep track of. Hopefully, after the first full cycle we can gather a stronger outline of what this game looks like.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, IF YOU ARE THE 'LAWYER' OR INVESTIGATOR, TRY TO AVOID REVEALING YOUR ROLES.

Archived