Mafia Game 3 - Not All in the Family..

CTM

I didn't realize there was a Village Idiot role. That makes this more interesting.

Of course, maybe you and EY are working with SMC, and this is all a set-up. Haha wow, I'm definitely getting a little paranoid here. Maybe I should step away from the computer. :bag:

GREAT!

I am about to be out of the thread potentially for the night as I'm leaving work a little early to go home and hang out with my new son. I was just about to make a post saying, "Since I won't be around much if at all tonight, I am going to switch my vote to Irish since he has been the most scummy thus far and I still don't know what SMC is up to."

Now that you said this, there is no way I could do that without logging back on tomorrow morning and reading 80+ posts about the potential EY/JMJ/SMC collaboration. :curse:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't think that is possible during the first day. My wagon hop was to shift the pile, so to speak to encourage movement (either for an explanation or the kill).

If there's a tie at 5, a vote to No. 6 means it's only 4 votes to whack. Those can come very quickly. The vote was a momentum turn, if you will.

I liked JMJ's explanation against Sharrow, until it proved false. I flipped last on Irish Jet because I liked EY's explanation, but he was alone in his thoughts so I didn't join in at the time.

I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify for me, it's definitely to the town's advantage to take as much time as possible before lynching people? (I hope as a newbie I'm allowed to ask basic questions every so often. ;)) I can't think of how speeding up the lynching process, especially with so little information, helps the town. So it would be a big help if someone could explain to me when that wouldn't be the case.

Following that logic (which may or may not be correct), it would seem to me that it's suspicious for SMC to try to speed up the process, particularly when we hadn't yet heard from Sharrow.

Of course, if he's the Village Idiot, I can see why he wouldn't be able to truthfully explain his voting ...

I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify for me, it's definitely to the town's advantage to take as much time as possible before lynching people? (I hope as a newbie I'm allowed to ask basic questions every so often. ;)) I can't think of how speeding up the lynching process, especially with so little information, helps the town. So it would be a big help if someone could explain to me when that wouldn't be the case.

Following that logic (which may or may not be correct), it would seem to me that it's suspicious for SMC to try to speed up the process, particularly when we hadn't yet heard from Sharrow.

Of course, if he's the Village Idiot, I can see why he wouldn't be able to truthfully explain his voting ...

Yes. It is. But at some point, you need to make a decision. 667 posts is the longest 1st day in history. By far I would guess.

The upside is, the length gave me some evidence on someone. :headbang:

How can I gain something from wagon hoping if it's so blatent. Ask yourself that?

That, SMC, is classic WIFOM logic.

As to doggin claim that calling Jets Thing a liar was a joke, guess what? Jokes don't read well on message boards. I thought he was serious.

Did you actually read what I wrote, and what he wrote? He was talking about his Peter Petrelli reveal being great. How in the world, if I was seriously accusing him of lying, could that be construed as a basis to assume JT was scum in this game??

You aren't making much sense, and that's a deviation from the norm for you.

I've been leaving my vote on Sharrow to pressure him into contributing, and I want to see more from him, but this is so far off that you aren't leaving me much choice.

unvote: Sharrow

vote: SMC

Right now, my suspicion list is:

SMC

Irish

JMJ

With Sharrow (still no contributions) and Jets Things in a trail position

Before you step away, Dan, I'll explain again: I don't think there is much that we can go on with the first day. The first day is now 34 pages long. How much more information is the family going to get before a move is made?

It's a crap shoot, unfortunately, and we can only go on gut. My gut feeling at the time was behind my earlier votes. My gut now tells me it's Irish.

UNOFFICIAL

Vote Count

JMJ (2) Irish, AVM

Jets Things (4) Bleedin' Green, Sharrow, JiF, Shutout

SMC (3) Vicious89x, Dan X, Doggin94it

WoodyPaige (2) JT, Slats

Sharrow (3) JVOR, JMJ, Norway

Irish Jet (3) EY, Woody, SMC

With 18 alive, it takes 10 to whack

*EDITED TO INCLUDE DOGGIN'S CHANGE.*

UNOFFICIAL

Vote Count

JMJ (2) Irish, AVM

SMC (2) Vicious89x, Dan X

WoodyPaige (2) JT, Slats

Sharrow (4) Doggin, JVOR, JMJ, Norway

I voted SMC.

Given past practice, I expect JVOR to follow shortly :biggrin:

UNOFFICIAL

Vote Count

JMJ (2) Irish, AVM

SMC (2) Vicious89x, Dan X

WoodyPaige (2) JT, Slats

Sharrow (4) Doggin, JVOR, JMJ, Norway

There's 3 votes against me. Doggin flipped from Sharrow to me without valid reasoning.

Yes. It is. But at some point, you need to make a decision. 667 posts is the longest 1st day in history. By far I would guess.

The upside is, the length gave me some evidence on someone. :headbang:

BTW, I'm not as convinced as you are about the pattern of behavior on Irish; the more suspicious thing to me was the defensiveness. Which is why he's second on my list behind SMC.

I voted SMC.

Given past practice, I expect JVOR to follow shortly :biggrin:

What do you think of the 'village idiot' idea.

I just cant see SMC playing this way without some kind of reasoning.

Like I said, I have no problem offing the village idiot, but I think it's beneficial Irish goes first.

Hi there.

I was only laying off Sharrow because I'm personally very warm to the idea of not lynching a newbie on day one - being that I am one. Although I see my generous spirit doesn't seem to be shared by my fellow newbs. That said, Sharrow isn't long for this game if he doesn't contribute more. Like Woody, who's admitted to lying low just for personal survival. These aren't town friendly behaviors.

I found it "surprising" that the vote was moving from two players over the halfway mark this morning. It looked to me like one of them would be whacked today. But with CTM coming in and saying that there's no impending time limit, I guess it makes sense to take a long look at everyone.

That was the other point I was going to make in my defense. I couldn't have showed up and said "this is how I play and I'm going to keep playing this way because that's how I play." I realized pretty quick today that I won't be able to play like that if I want to be in the game for long, so I'd have to be more pro-active. I can't just show up when most of the discussion is over and make one post saying what I think.

Yet Woody can use that defense because he does it every game? I'm not saying I'm that suspicious of him, I just agree that he shouldn't be let off that easy. We should pressure him to post his thoughts too.

Like I said, I have no problem offing the village idiot, but I think it's beneficial Irish goes first.

Red hering.

There's 3 votes against me. Doggin flipped from Sharrow to me without valid reasoning.

So, I've pointed to:

1) Bandwagoning

2) WIFOM defense of bandwagoning

3) Clear stretching on Jets Things

and none of that is "valid reasoning"? Come on, be serious. At least attempt to explain how you could have actually believed that I was serious that JT's claim that I said his Peter Petrelli reveal was the "best ever" was a grounds for lynching him.

Honestly - give me one good, logical explanation of how a sane mafia player like me could have thought that a wholly non-game related "lie" (even assuming you thought I took JT's comment as a lie rather than a joke) was an in-game scumtell, and I'll shift the vote.

But unless you can do that, the "without valid reasoning" line just adds to the reasons to vote for you - classic scum deflection without substance.

This is my last post for the minute. but if you would like to just throw out a little summary after you read and catch up it would be cool to see.

Oh yeah, why do you think EY and Vic want to kill SMC so bad?

I'm not sure if they want to kill him already. They probably just want to get more out of him. EY already moved on to Irish. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I've noticed that there are some players that are actively out there looking for things (EY, DanX) and there are players that are just sitting back and going with the flow (SMC, IJ). I can see why those two are being focused on right now. I was doing the same thing, but it wasn't on purpose, my posts were just being lost because they were few in number and people were forgetting about me. Those two (SMC, IJ) almost seem to be making posts and votes just so other players don't forget about them.

I doubt it's in the game (doesn't make sense in the scheme of things any more than a serial does), he's denied it, and the other explanation is that he's scum.

SMC is doing it SO blatantly, that there is more to it than simply being scum. He's a smart guy, and is up to something...

Perhaps This:

That is what is going through my mind also. He began getting heat for wagon-jumping pages and pages, and votes and votes ago. He then claimed to not care and has continuously done it moving forward. He is too smart to not be up to something. Whether what he is up to is scummy or not is for us to still determine, but he definitely is up to something.

Hmmm...

A guy who only skimmed thru the first two game threads and jumped on me for mentioning a potential role now all of a sudden has ideas going thru his head about obscure "cobbler/village idiot" type roles?

Scummy.

I doubt it's in the game (doesn't make sense in the scheme of things any more than a serial does), he's denied it, and the other explanation is that he's scum.

I have a hard time with that now. SMC has played before. He's played smart, and he's played aggressive. This is completely different, and if he's scum, is incredibly stupid.

That's why I think there has to be more to it than this. As I said, I have no problem with his death eventually, but to me, and in the description of the role, I'm fairly certain he's voted for every player who's been voted for. Or at least, every player who's garnered more than one vote.

I don't know, but for a smart guy, the play as mafia is just TOO stupid.

First days usually last long and the game didn't really pick up until Monday.

The issue is whether there will be any movers.

Woody & Jets Thing each have 6 votes each with 10 to whack.

There are 3 of the remaining 6 voters who didn't vote for either Woody or Jets Thing can decide this issue: Irish (who unvoted JMJ and hasn't revoted), Norway, AVM, EY, Vicious, and JMJ.

Of course, someone can make a compelling case to switch votes from Woody & Jets Thing but I haven't seen it yet.

Also, I don't know if this is suspicious or not. I can understand it if you were getting trigger happy because it's still only day 1, but you seemed pretty accepting that woody or jt should be lynched even before they really defended themselves. The point of most of those votes on those two was to get information out of them. I'd guess that most weren't ready to lynch either one. I know I wasn't ready to lynch JT, I just wanted to get him talking and get a vote out of him.

I have a hard time with that now. SMC has played before. He's played smart, and he's played aggressive. This is completely different, and if he's scum, is incredibly stupid.

That's why I think there has to be more to it than this. As I said, I have no problem with his death eventually, but to me, and in the description of the role, I'm fairly certain he's voted for every player who's been voted for. Or at least, every player who's garnered more than one vote.

Don't overthink it. Smart people do stupid things sometimes (like cc'ing townies on mafia posts :biggrin: ). I don't think he's roled, and I'll never, ever fall into the trap of refusing to vote for someone smart because they're acting scummier than anyone else on the roster (and by a large margin)

Don't overthink it. Smart people do stupid things sometimes (like cc'ing townies on mafia posts :biggrin: ). I don't think he's roled, and I'll never, ever fall into the trap of refusing to vote for someone smart because they're acting scummier than anyone else on the roster (and by a large margin)

BTW, if SMC flips mafia, I'm going to have to apply this rule to your defense of him. Sorry, its just business :D

cc'ing townies on mafia posts was a one time dumb mistake.

This is repetitive, and being done after it's been pointed out to him. You'd think he'd stop it after he drew suspision for it.

I don't know what it is, but I think there's more to it than that.

BTW, if SMC flips mafia, I'm going to have to apply this rule to your defense of him. Sorry, its just business :D

As soon as Irish is dead, I'm ready to kill SMC though. I just think it needs to be done in that order... and the reason should be pretty obvious

I've said it before, I'm willing to put a vote on him, but frankly, it's important for me to take down Irish Jet first. The reasoning should be obvious to you.

EY.... This was before you mentioned the town idiot thing #647...............

Wow.

That's a good catch. He's hinting at something. It's fairly possible he cannot reveal either, but I'd say there's more to him than meets the eye.

Well done Vic.

Wow.

That's a good catch. He's hinting at something. It's fairly possible he cannot reveal either, but I'd say there's more to him than meets the eye.

Well done Vic.

Thanks, that was in response to "that's how I roll" comment. Due to that:

Unvote: SMC

Vote: IJ

Vote Count

JMJ (2) Irish, AVM

SMC (2) Dan X, Doggin94it

WoodyPaige (2) JT, Slats

Sharrow (2) JMJ, Norway

Irish Jet (4) EY, Woody, SMC, Vic