Sign in to follow this  
Jetman_67

Name a singer/song writer who is/was a genius.

And let's not forget some of the gals, like Carol King, Stevie Nicks, Carly Simon and Cheryl Crow

Bob Denver, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr

Damn right. . I also love Garth Brooks (no one ever put on a show like garth) and Hank WIlliams Jr.

I am assuming that they could be either, and not necessarily both. That said:

Pete Townshend

Roger Waters

Steve Marriott

Robert Plant

Jimmy Page

Marc Bolan

David Bowie

Jagger/Richards

Joe Walsh

I could go on....

Other than Joe Walsh, do you have something against American musicians, generally? What's with the love for bad teeth?

Billy Joel and Pete Townsend.

As to Joe Strummer, how many more rappers are gonna sample the Clash? And I'm not complalning.

genius ?

big word

only guy who fits the bill for me is Pete townsend

another guys who comes close is jim croce

YcqauC49Xmc

Byo36ltgS90

A2iS8XctJKo&feature=related

honorable mention to gordon lightfoot

this song is so powerful because it's so simple. two people fall out of love for no reason, it's no ones fault, just grew apart. brutally sad

r2DjqB0SO9M

I only heard him mentioned once, but whenever anyone mentions the word Genius, the only person who comes to mind as a musician is The Genius...Ray Charles.

Other legends;

-Otis Redding

-James Brown

-Aretha Franklin

-Little Richard

-Bob Marley

-Beach Boys

-Sam Cooke

-Muddy Waters/Howling Wolf/Little Walter

-Buddy Holly

-THE BAND

-Janis Joplin.....man this list could go on forever.

Borgo hit on it in his second list.

Nick Drake died way too young, and didn't get to make enough music.

Y2jxjv0HkwM

• Upvote 1

Hank Williams Sr

A legend.

I know folks that have Rock bands that dont like country, but give this guy huge props for his shear talent. Hank died in his prime too.

joni mitchell

woody guthrie

pete seeger

paul simon

elvis costello

james taylor

there are a lot of people mentioning any good/great musician who was either in a band situation or even just the singer or guitarist IN a band. The trouble I see with some of these assessments is that the term Singer/Songwriter is a genre. Jim Croce, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen. Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Jackson Browne-THESE are singer/songwriters of that genre. To list Garcia and Hunter or Robert Plante or Aretha and Otis misses the point IMO

Genius???

I guess we all have our opinions.

Songwriters/Performers

Ian Anderson

Pete Townsend

Jack Bruce

Frank Zappa

Adrian Belew

Hendrix

Steve Morse

Paul McCartney

6 pages and i'm the first to say him? Cmon.....

i thought he was mentioned. you expect me to read the whole thread? LOL ;)

Genius???

I guess we all have our opinions.

Songwriters/Performers

Ian Anderson

Pete Townsend

Jack Bruce

Frank Zappa

Adrian Belew

Hendrix

Steve Morse

yep.. people started, fromt he beginning of this thread, just naming their faves.. but very different between faves and genius,., i would agree with a lot in your list and i would add dylan, woody guthrie, lennon/mccartney..

genius is such a tough word.. maybe it would need to be broken down into genres..

Other than Joe Walsh, do you have something against American musicians, generally? What's with the love for bad teeth?

Unlike you, I guess, I don't see national origin when evaluating talent. The individuals I listed are those that influenced me throughout my life. No more, no less. Say hey to everybody at the klan rally.

• Upvote 2

there are a lot of people mentioning any good/great musician who was either in a band situation or even just the singer or guitarist IN a band. The trouble I see with some of these assessments is that the term Singer/Songwriter is a genre. Jim Croce, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen. Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Jackson Browne-THESE are singer/songwriters of that genre. To list Garcia and Hunter or Robert Plante or Aretha and Otis misses the point IMO

If you look at my first post, I qualified my response because the thread title, and first post by Jetman, was--IMO--ambiguous. Did he mean singer, songwriter, or singer/songwriter?

i thought he was mentioned. you expect me to read the whole thread? LOL ;)

yep.. people started, fromt he beginning of this thread, just naming their faves.. but very different between faves and genius,., i would agree with a lot in your list and i would add dylan, woody guthrie, lennon/mccartney..

genius is such a tough word.. maybe it would need to be broken down into genres..

Thanks for your myopic, disparaging, interpretation of everyone's intent, and abilities to judge talent. The artists people are listing are those that represent genius to them. You don't feel that way? Fine, list who you think is. There are folks out there that would look at Bob Dylan from your list and say you were delusional, since his singing style grates on them. Are they right? Wrong? Both. Beauty--or music--is in the eye--or ear--of the beholder.

Someone who I thought had an absolutely genius voice and promising career that was cut brutally short was Jeff Buckley. Talk about a perfect version of song, hallelujah is incredible.

Someone who I thought had an absolutely genius voice and promising career that was cut brutally short was Jeff Buckley. Talk about a perfect version of song, hallelujah is incredible.

which is a Leonard Cohen song and who IS a true genius-Buckley's version is great-there's a YouTube of him actually recording it in the studio Joe

which is a Leonard Cohen song and who IS a true genius-Buckley's version is great-there's a YouTube of him actually recording it in the studio Joe

Oh I know it's Leonard Cohen's, but I was always under the impression that it was Buckley who transcended the song and made it truly genius. As far as vocals, I find it difficult for almost anyone to match Buckley.

John Legend was quoted as saying this....'Hallelujah is as near perfect as you can get. My personal choice would be Jeff Buckley's cover - to me that is the signature version of that song. The lyrics to Hallelujah are just incredible and the melody's gorgeous, and then there's Jeff's interpretation of it. Heavy going? It transcends your mood. I can put it on first thing in the morning, or out on my iPod...I can listen to it anywhere. That's the mark of a perfect song. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of recorded music I've ever heard.'

I mentioned Hallelujah to stress Buckley's vocal genius, but his lyrics on his first and really only album, Grace, shows his promise in both.

Thanks for your myopic, disparaging, interpretation of everyone's intent, and abilities to judge talent. The artists people are listing are those that represent genius to them. You don't feel that way? Fine, list who you think is. There are folks out there that would look at Bob Dylan from your list and say you were delusional, since his singing style grates on them. Are they right? Wrong? Both. Beauty--or music--is in the eye--or ear--of the beholder.

you are using ocular insults on me? ha!

and where was i being pejorative? i was expressing my opinion that others are listing favorites. Isnt that MY right? As it is your right to call me out. Did i ever say that I liked dylan's voice? heh! i find his voice awful.. but he is a singer and a songwriter. There are songwriters who really arent singers and visa versa.

and dont tell me about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" really? really? cmon borgo.

I do not like country music, nor am i an expert on it and therefore would have a hard time identifying genius in that category though i could guess that Johnny Cash might be one. But i could very well be wrong.... That is why i thought that breaking it down by genres might be helpful.

now get into the kitchen and cook me something! :D

• Upvote 1

you are using ocular insults on me? ha!

and where was i being pejorative? i was expressing my opinion that others are listing favorites. Isnt that MY right? As it is your right to call me out. Did i ever say that I liked dylan's voice? heh! i find his voice awful.. but he is a singer and a songwriter. There are songwriters who really arent singers and visa versa.

and dont tell me about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" really? really? cmon borgo.

I do not like country music, nor am i an expert on it and therefore would have a hard time identifying genius in that category though i could guess that Johnny Cash might be one. But i could very well be wrong.... That is why i thought that breaking it down by genres might be helpful.

now get into the kitchen and cook me something! :D

Read your post.

Read your post.

the funny thing is i did reread my post. when someone accuses me of being rude, i want to make sure that i havent said anything that offends anyone. and for those who read my original post, that was not my intent.

but i do think people were listing favorites and not necessarily genius.. again.. that is my opinion. genius to me is very different then genius to others. To me, a lot of the people listed would not be considered genius.

Edited by gg
because i was being rude again