EARTH HOUR

Borgoguy

My son just reminded me that today, from 8:30-9:30 PM, we are asked to turn off all the lights in our homes as a way of voting for Earth instead of global warming. It does not affect TV viewing or my wine consumption, so I will participate. Here's the link for those interested.

http://www.earthhour.org/about/

i cant pee in the dark....will adhere to other lights:D

Earth HOUR ? WTF happened to Earth DAY ? Have people given up ? Doesn't anyone give a sh*t anymore ? Is it that people just aren't into the Earth like they were ? :bag:

I was in eighth grade for the first Earth Day, and remember it like it was yesterday. Folks think concern about the planet and environmentalism started last week. We were talking about alternative fuels, conservation and global warming way back then. Imagine where we would be today--cars getting 50 plus MPH, etc,--if we kept to those ideals. It's never too late, I guess. I'm just happy that my 10 year-old son was the one that got my wife and I to follow this program tonight.

Farce. Let's feel good about ourselves, shall we? :roll:

I love this attitude. Like there is something wrong if anyone decides to try to do something good; attempt to effect some level of change or benevolence on the planet. Keep believing the "us" and "them" pablum the real villains keep feeding us, Verde. I come from a place where everyone was dirt poor, but always made time to go out and clean the forests of brush or decaying wood. That way, the mushrooms, wildlife, and other foods provided by the forest could proliferate. Making an effort about our ecosystem, no matter how small, benefits everyone.

Why can't every day be earth day?

+1 And it would not involve that much. Save some water, don't litter, keep your car tuned up, shut off lights you don't need, recycle some--if not all--of your plastics and glass, etc. Most of this stuff is common sense--and frugal economy--that our grandparents and great-grandparents lived their lives by.

Awesome work, Guns. As a show of solidarity for the Earth Movement, I used the withdrawal method last evening rather than put more latex into the landfill.

in honor of earth day

i just ran around my house in my birthday suit

will be on my twitter or blog later in day

Austin is a "green" city. They make it very easy for us to recycle. We all got huge blue rolling carts (see picture) and can put all recyclables together in it, no more sorting. The carts are larger than our regular garbage carts. It's so easy and convenient, and it's great for the environment. I know I've recycled more since they gave us the blue carts.

They also will take yard trimmings at any time, and have large brush and large bulky trash pick-up twice a year.

setoutphoto2a.jpg

I love this attitude. Like there is something wrong if anyone decides to try to do something good; attempt to effect some level of change or benevolence on the planet. Keep believing the "us" and "them" pablum the real villains keep feeding us, Verde. I come from a place where everyone was dirt poor, but always made time to go out and clean the forests of brush or decaying wood. That way, the mushrooms, wildlife, and other foods provided by the forest could proliferate. Making an effort about our ecosystem, no matter how small, benefits everyone.

You're assuming that I believe global warming is the result of peon humans.

You're assuming that I believe global warming is the result of peon humans.

I assume nothing. Your words were clear enough. What are you doing this week? Let's set up a time when you can come into my son's school and tell the kids that their attempts at conservation and environmental awareness mean nothing. I'll buy lunch.

I assume nothing. Your words were clear enough. What are you doing this week? Let's set up a time when you can come into my son's school and tell the kids that their attempts at conservation and environmental awareness mean nothing. I'll buy lunch.

I have a spaced reserved in Hell for far worse things than not being politically correct.

I'm not a tree hugger. So shoot me for not buying into earth hour. That doesn't mean I don't have respect for the environment, leave all of the lights on in my house or drive around town in a gas guzzler.

One good thing about me though, I have empathy for people and don't make fun of them because of the way they look. I'm not completely evil.

btw, let me know what heaven looks like when you get there. :grin:

I have a spaced reserved in Hell for far worse things than not being politically correct.

I'm not a tree hugger. So shoot me for not buying into earth hour. That doesn't mean I don't have respect for the environment, leave all of the lights on in my house or drive around town in a gas guzzler.

One good thing about me though, I have empathy for people and don't make fun of them because of the way they look. I'm not completely evil.

i have a little pull for heaven...will try and sneak you in:D

This has nothing to do with being politically correct. Before my son told my wife and I about it yesterday, I had not heard of Earth Hour. As a show of support for my 10 year-old, and his youthful idealism, I said we'd turn off all our lights at the appointed hour, and that I'd let other people know about it through JetNation. If somebody wanted to do it, great. If not, i don't give a s**t because TV viewing was still allowed and I am perfectly capable of drinking wine in the dark.

I guess your post, and several others, bothered me because there is this pervasive view espoused by many that a person who cares about environmental issues--such as global warming, amongst others--is a crackpot or delusional. I believe that opinion is incorrect, and further fragments us. As I said, concern for our air, water and land has existed in many forms over the centuries. Any effort on behalf of our ecosystem helps us today, and in the future.

to make this topic about religion and good vs evil is just as narrow minded as actually thinking that global warming is caused by cow farts.

seriously, just do the right thing and not worry about bieng labeled.

You obviously missed my point. But that's okay, I don't fault you for having no sense of humor.

Archived