The World Cup Qualifers Thread

LiLMiCKMANTLE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did anyone see them game lastnight... USA vs. Trinidad

That Jozy Altidore kid is amazing with a soccer ball

I knew I was missing something.

I would really like to see the USA actually do something in the WC....and by doing something, I don't mean advancing from their pool.

No, they're not going to win the WC at all, but it would be nice to have a little excitement.

The Republic (Ireland) are looking pretty good. It was a good performance Italy and getting a draw there is huge, although we really could have won it in the end. If we'd have beaten Bulgaria in Croke Park like we ****ing should have we'd be set by now but I'm confident we'll get into the playoffs.

I love it when Ireland qualify. It would be ****ed up to see Northern Ireland qualify though.:shock:

I knew I was missing something.

I would really like to see the USA actually do something in the WC....and by doing something, I don't mean advancing from their pool.

No, they're not going to win the WC at all, but it would be nice to have a little excitement.

They could have in won it all 2002, only Oliver Kahn had one of his greatest games in the German goal in that quarter final. That was the worst Brazil team to ever win the WC. Good win over T&T, even better with Mexico losing, sadly they've now sacked Sven the Puppet.

Every time I watch the Republic play, I just get the impression that Trappatoni's doing his best Herm impersonation. Playing not to lose, rather than to go out and win.

2 un-eventful back to back wins against Lithuania. 6 points, time to move on.

One powerhouse who's in bad shape is Portugal. They've dug themselves into quite a hole.

Group 1 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts

Denmark 5 4 1 0 12 2 13

Hungary 6 4 1 1 8 2 13

Portugal 5 1 3 1 6 3 6 eek.gif

Sweden 4 1 3 0 2 1 6

Albania 7 1 3 3 3 6 6

Malta 7 0 1 6 0 17 1

They could have in won it all 2002, only Oliver Kahn had one of his greatest games in the German goal in that quarter final. That was the worst Brazil team to ever win the WC. Good win over T&T, even better with Mexico losing, sadly they've now sacked Sven the Puppet.

Every time I watch the Republic play, I just get the impression that Trappatoni's doing his best Herm impersonation. Playing not to lose, rather than to go out and win.

Yeah, the US clearly out played the Germans that day.

He's Italian. That's what they do.

I'm happy enough though, I can't complain with the position they're in. Ireland really don't have much talent there to be honest and I'll take a draw away at Italy every time.

And who knows, if the Republic don't qualify maybe maybe NI will pull it out and I could instead listen to Gerry Armstrong ramble on about "Our Davey Healey", the world class striker that he is.:face:

I hate Northern Ireland, with a passion.... Johnny Evans gets a pass though.:D

The Aussies are pretty much in and like their chances in 2010. I'm still bitter over the way they got bounced by the diving Italians in 2006.

We are in it to win it, say Socceroos

Michael ****erill, Sydney

April 3, 2009

Advertisement

SOCCEROOS skipper Lucas Neill believes Australia will be a potent threat at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, especially with a year to prepare for the finals while other countries are still battling to qualify.

"It just shows that we have improved since our last time at the World Cup. It wasn't a fluke," Neill said after the 2-0 victory over Uzbekistan on Wednesday night all but secured the Socceroos a place among the 32 teams who will contest the World Cup.

"Now we can send a message out, not only to Asia, but to the world that we are serious about our football and we want to be a part of the very best in the world."

And, not surprisingly, Football Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley gave Pim Verbeek his full backing.

Verbeek's conservative tactics have come under scrutiny, but Buckley is not interested in debates about style, and has nothing but praise for Verbeek's contribution.

"Pim is contracted until the end of the World Cup, full stop. We're absolutely delighted with the position he has put us in," Buckley said yesterday.

"We were very happy when we made the decision to employ him (in December 2007), and we're very happy with the results that have been delivered.

"We wanted someone who understood Asian football, and he's proved that. Pim has done everything we could have asked of him."

The Socceroos will get another chance to become the first team to qualify for next year's finals when they play their next match, against Qatar, in early June.

"We couldn't be in a better position, but we still have a job to do," Buckley said.

Nonetheless, FFA is well advanced in planning for the World Cup, with the Socceroos set to play at least a dozen internationals, some of them qualifiers, for the Asian Cup before the finals in South Africa.

But there will be no warm-up matches for the next World Cup qualifier in Doha, even though Asian champion Iraq is likely to be based in Sydney for a camp late next month before its own trip to South Africa for the Confederations Cup.

"Yes, it's true we have been in discussions with the Iraqis," Buckley said.

"Nothing has been formalised, but if they do come, they won't be playing the Socceroos. We may be able to assist them in getting other games.

"As for the Socceroos, we have been looking ahead, and if we are going to the World Cup we want to provide the sort of preparation which will help us be successful.

"I'm sure Pim and his staff will let us know what's required. It is our intention to put the best team on the park wherever possible."

I like alot of the young US players, Altidore, Kljestan, Bradley. We're clearly the bullies of the region, especially since Mexico has fallen apart. Hopefully we get a better draw in the next World Cup than we did the last.

The national team doesn't play again til the beginning of June.

did anyone see them game lastnight... USA vs. Trinidad

That Jozy Altidore kid is amazing with a soccer ball

They played decent the other night against T&T, but I'm not convinced that this team is yetcapable to compete with the big teams like Argentina, Spain, or Italy, much less get out of their group stage. They make too many mistakes, especially on set pieces, and go through long stretches on genuinely uninspired play. I've never been big on Bob Bradley , partly because he plays too conservatively, plays not to lose, and underutilizes the players heh as. This is a team that would be effective if it had an agressive, speedy offense like it did in 02 under Bruce Arena. We've got the talent up front for it. Jozy, Landie-Cakes, Ching, and Michael Bradley all have the speed and talent to create havoc.

The U.S. is past the point where we have to worry about qualifying for the W.C. At this point, there is no other team in CONCACAF that could even challenge us. (Even Mexico is weak) Now it's just a question of can this team finally make some noise when it counts.

They played decent the other night against T&T, but I'm not convinced that this team is yetcapable to compete with the big teams like Argentina, Spain, or Italy, much less get out of their group stage. They make too many mistakes, especially on set pieces, and go through long stretches on genuinely uninspired play. I've never been big on Bob Bradley , partly because he plays too conservatively, plays not to lose, and underutilizes the players heh as. This is a team that would be effective if it had an agressive, speedy offense like it did in 02 under Bruce Arena. We've got the talent up front for it. Jozy, Landie-Cakes, Ching, and Michael Bradley all have the speed and talent to create havoc.

The U.S. is past the point where we have to worry about qualifying for the W.C. At this point, there is no other team in CONCACAF that could even challenge us. (Even Mexico is weak) Now it's just a question of can this team finally make some noise when it counts.

I agree.

I think it would be greater news if we did not make the WC.

The US just needs to continue building their program. Before 1994 we struggled just to make the cup highlighted by a 40+ year drought.

Today, we are clearly the best team in the region. They need to continue to build the youth program to build a solid base and improve soccer at all the higher levels. Probably, would not hurt to mirror the European season so our player are more inline with normal qualifiers and such.

I agree.

I think it would be greater news if we did not make the WC.

The US just needs to continue building their program. Before 1994 we struggled just to make the cup highlighted by a 40+ year drought.

Today, we are clearly the best team in the region. They need to continue to build the youth program to build a solid base and improve soccer at all the higher levels. Probably, would not hurt to mirror the European season so our player are more inline with normal qualifiers and such.

80% of the players on the Men's National Team are all currently playing in European leagues, so I don't think the MLS schedule affects them too much. But MLS will eventually make the switch. FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested they should move to the schedule you see with most other major Football leagues. But not now. Not until every MLS team has their own stadium, which as of right now is not the case, will they change the schedule around. The Revs, KC Wizards, Red Bull New York, and the Houston Dynamo all still play in NFL or College Football stadiums.

As you mentioned, luckily, the U.S. Youth Development Academys are really starting to turn out some decent prospects. Now if they could only keep U.S. born players with dual citizenship (like Giuseppe Rossi and Neven Subotic) from jumping ship to play elsewhere, we would have even better talent on the pitch. Losing Rossi (who just got called up to the senior team for Italy) was huge.

80% of the players on the Men's National Team are all currently playing in European leagues, so I don't think the MLS schedule affects them too much. But MLS will eventually make the switch. FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested they should move to the schedule you see with most other major Football leagues. But not now. Not until every MLS team has their own stadium, which as of right now is not the case, will they change the schedule around. The Revs, KC Wizards, Red Bull New York, and the Houston Dynamo all still play in NFL or College Football stadiums.

As you mentioned, luckily, the U.S. Youth Development Academys are really starting to turn out some decent prospects. Now if they could only keep U.S. born players with dual citizenship (like Giuseppe Rossi and Neven Subotic) from jumping ship to play elsewhere, we would have even better talent on the pitch. Losing Rossi (who just got called up to the senior team for Italy) was huge.

That is a long time away. What is Kraft's motivation to build a soccer specific stadium? He gets some money generating dates for his stadium.

I get your point, but it is not so much that they play in a football stadium. That stadium sounds fine when the Patriots are playing in front of a sold out crowd. It just needs to be sold out.

The fact is the level of play overseas is better. As is the pay. The trick for the MLS is to increase the level of play and pay to entice players into staying here. Whether that means signing some viable European players versus the old farts that have been coming over. Thus increasing attendance and eventually gross revenue.

That is a long time away. What is Kraft's motivation to build a soccer specific stadium? He gets some money generating dates for his stadium.

I get your point, but it is not so much that they play in a football stadium. That stadium sounds fine when the Patriots are playing in front of a sold out crowd. It just needs to be sold out.

The fact is the level of play overseas is better. As is the pay. The trick for the MLS is to increase the level of play and pay to entice players into staying here. Whether that means signing some viable European players versus the old farts that have been coming over. Thus increasing attendance and eventually gross revenue.

There have been rumours over the last year about the Revs having their own Stadium in either Somerville or South Boston.

Somerville would be a great spot as the planned location is a 5 minute walk from Sullivan Square on the Orange line and Route 93.

In Southy the Stadium will be down by the Bay Side Expo Center.

OK I'll give in. What does the V mean over there?

Wiki origin. This may be urban legend, but this also the version I'd heard

An early recorded use of the 'two-fingered salute' is in the Macclesfield Psalter of c.1330 (in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge), being made by a glove in the psalter’s marginalia.[4]

According to a popular legend the two-fingers salute and/or V sign derives from the gestures of longbowmen fighting in the English army at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) during the Hundred Years' War.[4][13] The story claims that the French claimed that they would cut off the arrow-shooting fingers of all the English and Welsh longbowmen after they had won the battle at Agincourt. But the English came out victorious and showed off their two fingers, still intact. Historian Juliet Barker quotes Jean Le Fevre (who fought on the English side at Agincourt) as saying that Henry V included a reference to the French cutting off longbowmen's fingers in his pre-battle speech.[14] If this is correct it confirms that the story was around at the time of Agincourt, although it doesn't necessarily mean that the French practised it, just that Henry found it useful for propaganda, and it does not show that the 'two-fingers salute' is derived from the hypothetical behaviour of English archers at that battle. Indeed, there is no record of this explanation for the V sign before the 1970s, and it seems to be a popular myth.

The first definitive known reference to the ‘V-sign’ in French is in the works of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Rabelais]Fran

Christ. All that for that?

Look at the uproar that happens when a player flips the bird? Losing your Captaincy and place on National team is not that much. Both could easily be given back in the future.

I like alot of the young US players, Altidore, Kljestan, Bradley. We're clearly the bullies of the region, especially since Mexico has fallen apart. Hopefully we get a better draw in the next World Cup than we did the last.

The national team doesn't play again til the beginning of June.

It will be interesting to see if Jozy's performance gets him some playing time with Xerez. It hasnt' helped that for most of this season with Villarreal and Xerez he has sat on the bench. Especially with Xerez being in the Spanish 2nd division. Although if Xerez gets promoted to the first division next year, I would imagine they might try to buy out Altidore from Villarreal.

Ditto for Freddy Adu rotting away at Monaco.

It will be interesting to see if Jozy's performance gets him some playing time with Xerez. It hasnt' helped that for most of this season with Villarreal and Xerez he has sat on the bench. Especially with Xerez being in the Spanish 2nd division. Although if Xerez gets promoted to the first division next year, I would imagine they might try to buy out Altidore from Villarreal.

Ditto for Freddy Adu rotting away at Monaco.

That is a valid point about rotting away.

However, Landon Donovan said his few months with Bayern improved his play. As much as I would like to see those guys playing in the MLS, I think until the MLS is at that level or close to it, in order to improve the NT, they need to train and hopefully play some in Europe.

That is a valid point about rotting away.

However, Landon Donovan said his few months with Bayern improved his play. As much as I would like to see those guys playing in the MLS, I think until the MLS is at that level or close to it, in order to improve the NT, they need to train and hopefully play some in Europe.

I agree. It's especially important for the young players to play in Europe against the best competition and get that experience.

• 1 month later...

The US plays Costa Rica tonight at 10 on ESPN 2. The national team has never won in Costa Rica.

The standings thru three matches...

Team G P W L T G F GA GD Pts

United States 3 2 0 1 7 2 +5 7

Costa Rica 3 2 1 0 3 2 +1 6

Honduras 3 1 1 1 4 3 +1 4

Mexico 3 1 2 0 3 5 -2 3

El Salvador 3 0 1 2 4 5 -1 2

Trinidad & Tobago 3 0 1 2 3 6 -3 2

Upcoming CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Final Round Fixtures

DateMatchVenue

June 3Costa Rica vs. USA Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Ayma; San Jose

June 6El Salvador vs. MexicoEstadio Cuscatlan; San Salvador