BJ Raji Fails Drug Test

Bleedin Green

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/02/raji/index.html

Defensive tackle B.J. Raji, whose draft stock has soared over the past six months, had a positive drug test at February's combine, NFL team sources have told SI.com. It's unknown to SI.com which drug triggered the positive result, but NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji had tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

NFL teams will receive the official list of those who tested positive in Indianapolis later this month, and Raji's name will be on it, according to a source who attended last week's owners meetings in California.

Brian Murphy, Chief Operating Officer of Athletes First, which represents Raji, told SI.com: "We will not comment on rumors from unnamed sources. I do know that B.J. has been one of the hardest workers and nicest individuals that we at Athletes First represent. There is no doubt that he will be an invaluable addition to an NFL team both on the field as a player and in the community as a role model."

Raji declined comment when reached by SI.com.

According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again.

How this affects Raji's draft grade remains to be seen. He missed the 2007 college season with academic issues, returned to Boston College and had a terrific senior campaign, recording eight sacks and 42 tackles, with 16 tackles for loss. He was a dominant force during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl and continued his momentum up draft boards after turning in good combine and pro-day workouts. His performances the past three months have some scouts believing he'll be taken in the top third of the first round of the April 25 draft.

One source familiar with the positive drug test assessed Raji's draft prospects by saying, "It's a roll of the dice. If Raji stays clean and plays to his potential, you could have a dominant defensive lineman on your team. Then again, it does nobody any good if the kid is on the sidelines serving a suspension for a failed test."

Prior to the 1995 draft, top-rated defensive tackle Warren Sapp saw his stock slip after reports surfaced of positive drug tests during his time at the University of Miami, which he denied. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers eventually selected Sapp with the No. 12 overall pick. Sapp went on to play 13 seasons in the NFL, earning seven trips to the Pro Bowl.

They had this story a couple years ago with Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, and Amobi Okoye, and they all managed to still go in the Top 10. Maybe if you take things to an extreme like Mangini does you'd be less inclined to draft someone like this, but I think most GM's will just chalk it up to kids being kids and let it slide.

If he fell to within 5 spots of our pick I'd love to see us trade up and get him. He would give us all kinds of versatility on the defensive line where you just know Rex Ryan would work wonders with him. He would build the defense around a player like Raji and putting him beside Jenkins? Wow!

They had this story a couple years ago with Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, and Amobi Okoye, and they all managed to still go in the Top 10. Maybe if you take things to an extreme like Mangini does you'd be less inclined to draft someone like this, but I think most GM's will just chalk it up to kids being kids and let it slide.

You can chalk it up to kids being kids for everybody who hasn't already lost a year of football out of sheer stupidity. Raji is a ****up. End of story.

There have been so many instances now where guys have tested positive for weed and had great careers (Sapp, Jason Ferguson, etc...) after falling in the draft that I don't think it is the black mark that it once was. I think that the interview with the player becomes more important when something like this comes up. You have to make sure you don't have the next Charles Rogers on your hands.

There have been so many instances now where guys have tested positive for weed and had great careers (Sapp, Jason Ferguson, etc...) after falling in the draft that I don't think it is the black mark that it once was. I think that the interview with the player becomes more important when something like this comes up. You have to make sure you don't have the next Charles Rogers on your hands.

I don't know if I'd want to use Jason Ferguson as an example. That guy has had a nice career, but he's been suspended for drugs too, hasn't he?

when it's only a 100 dollar ticket how could you not? :character0293:

i live in rox and i've been propositioned more times than a chinatown hooker.

I believe it. My brother, who has since moved to the West Coast, knew a couple of BC football players who are now on NFL rosters and those guys love to toke.

I think you're right. He might fall some spots but it won't be a free fall like it used to be.

I just don't get it though. I don't smoke pot and never have. However, I feel it's not any worse then drinking. It should be made legal. Just my personal feeling. But, the point is, it is illegal and why the hell can't these players refrain. They stand to lose millions of dollars if they get caught.

I just don't get it though. I don't smoke pot and never have. However, I feel it's not any worse then drinking. It should be made legal. Just my personal feeling. But, the point is, it is illegal and why the hell can't these players refrain. They stand to lose millions of dollars if they get caught.

B.J. Raji is not a particularly bright individual.

B.J. Raji is not a particularly bright individual.

No, he isn't, not that it has a whole lot to do with anything. Michael Oher is practically retarded and even he managed to stay academically eligible.

Michael Oher is actually an intelligent young man. Raji stock will not drop for a positive weed test..Now, if he's juicing that will cause teams to cut and run because that means your size and strength are artificial..Not good in the league where you get "paid to play"

Michael Oher is actually an intelligent young man. Raji stock will not drop for a positive weed test..Now, if he's juicing that will cause teams to cut and run because that means your size and strength are artificial..Not good in the league where you get "paid to play"

The rest of the league has strength that isn't "artificial"? I'm sure they have a tutor that would explain how to operate the new improved Whizzinator.

Exactly, when the official report comes out of what exactly caused him to fail the drug test, it will say a lot about how much this could effect him and his draft stock. Either way, teams surely can't be happy that Raji is now coming into the league already in the NFL's drug program. I doubt he falls far if at all, but there's certain teams that I could see hesitating to take him, perhaps instead opting for a blocking TE.

Nah, nevermind... what kind of dumbass team would do something like that?

Its gotta be weed. BC football and basketball players love their weed.

BINGO!

BC is pot smoking heaven for athletes....look no further than Will Green to see potential go up in smoke. I've heard of some scholarship athletes that have turned it into a business venture. BC! Love that whole "we are better than you, we are a jesuit school" crap. Yet they have drug problems, gambling scandals, and graduate sexual predators like Mark Chmura and nutty roid freaks like Bill Romanowski.

/Chris Rock bit about white people liking Colin Powell because he can construct a declarative sentence. Oher is a tremendous raw talent and by all accounts a great kid, but any notion that he's remotely bright is informed primarily by zero expectations. He's had trouble picking up and retaining things at every level and that's only going to be magnified now. Maybe a light comes on, but in all likelihood he's going to be a continuous project. I'd still much rather have him than a born loser like Raji.

/Chris Rock bit about white people liking Colin Powell because he can construct a declarative sentence. Oher is a tremendous raw talent and by all accounts a great kid, but any notion that he's remotely bright is informed primarily by zero expectations. He's had trouble picking up and retaining things at every level and that's only going to be magnified now. Maybe a light comes on, but in all likelihood he's going to be a continuous project. I'd still much rather have him than a born loser like Raji.

He got a 19 on the wonderlic. That's like Stephen Hawking for these guys.

Archived