1. 1. at 17?

• Heyward-Bey
    • Hakeem Nicks
    • Tyson Jackson
    • Beanie Wells

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't see anything remotely special in Nicks. He gets out of shape quickly, he is apparently retahded (11 on the wonderlic...c'mon, i guarantee an above average 12 year old could do better) his deep-field separation is sketchy and his short shuttle and agility drills were aweful.

I love his hands, his production in his senior year, the fact he played in a pro-style offense, but i just don't see him complimenting our receiving corp well or worth the 17th overall pick.

As much as I would like a receiver, I think beanie wells is too good to pass up this late in the draft. He has an elite skillset and would compliment leon fairly well.

Out of those choices I'd go with Tyson Jackson. He's pretty much a prototypical 3-4 DE and should eventually provide a significant upgrade to anyone we have there. I think he has a higher floor than any of those choices and just as high a ceiling. Also, he represents the best value out of all of them except for possibly Wells. If he's around when we pick it'd be hard to pass.

From that list - Wells.

I think he's by far and away the best back in the class and if he stays healthy he could be an elite back. Also because rookie RB's can play from the word go, we'd likely have one of the most dominant if not the most dominant running game in the league with TJ, Wells and Leon running behind that line. Playing with that kind of running game will fit into exactly what Ryan wants to do and would give as much help as anything to our young QB, whoever that may be.

Prediction: Hakeem Nicks will not be drafted in the first round, let alone #17 overall.

Fans tend to over-estimate where players of fantasy football positions (or sexier football stats in general) will get drafted.

I'm not a huge f of Nicks, but one player I really want to see the Jets avoid is Kenny Britt, even if he's there in the 2nd round. When you watch highlights of him he rarely gets seperation. Most of his catches come with a DB right next to him.

Also wouldn't be shocked to see Nicks (like you said) and DHB fall out of the first round. Teams do not like taking WR's high, they're as unpredictable as any position to draft. Mario Manningham was seen last year as a certain low 1st to high 2nd rounder, look where he ended up.

Hakeem Nicks ~ Jerricho Cotchery Part Two. We already have a J-Co, so no thank you.

Tyson Jackson ~ Would be a solid selection but with Kenyon Coleman and Marques Douglas here, I don't see a need for Defensive End and it would be a waste of the 17th overall. We have addressed the Defensive side of the ball enough in Free Agency.

Chris "Bust" Wells ~ Please no. If you're going to take a back at 17, go with Knowshon Moreno or Donald Brown (who is rising to the 1st round depending on where Wells and Moreno go).

Darrius Hewyard-Bey ~ 6'3/6'4, 4.30 40 yardd dash, easily the biggest and fastest playmaker in this draft at the Wide Receiver position that could be a 1st round selection. I know some are high on Ramses Barden, but if Heyward-Bey is there at 17, you don't think twice with our NEED at Wide Receiver of a tall, fast play maker. No thank you Percy Harvin who is only 5'11.

Hakeem Nicks ~ Jerricho Cotchery Part Two. We already have a J-Co, so no thank you.

Tyson Jackson ~ Would be a solid selection but with Kenyon Coleman and Marques Douglas here, I don't see a need for Defensive End and it would be a waste of the 17th overall. We have addressed the Defensive side of the ball enough in Free Agency.

Chris "Bust" Wells ~ Please no. If you're going to take a back at 17, go with Knowshon Moreno or Donald Brown (who is rising to the 1st round depending on where Wells and Moreno go).

Darrius Hewyard-Bey ~ 6'3/6'4, 4.30 40 yardd dash, easily the biggest and fastest playmaker in this draft at the Wide Receiver position that could be a 1st round selection. I know some are high on Ramses Barden, but if Heyward-Bey is there at 17, you don't think twice with our NEED at Wide Receiver of a tall, fast play maker. No thank you Percy Harvin who is only 5'11.

What he said^^^

Jet fans have to be leary about taking another potential workout warrior. I want someone who has succeeded on a football field. We can score an athletic WR in a later round.

From that list - Wells.

I think he's by far and away the best back in the class and if he stays healthy he could be an elite back. Also because rookie RB's can play from the word go, we'd likely have one of the most dominant if not the most dominant running game in the league with TJ, Wells and Leon running behind that line. Playing with that kind of running game will fit into exactly what Ryan wants to do and would give as much help as anything to our young QB, whoever that may be.

Exactly ...it worked for Tennessee and carolina ...even with the dynamic duo of kerry collins and justin gage...

Jet fans have to be leary about taking another potential workout warrior. I want someone who has succeeded on a football field. We can score an athletic WR in a later round.

I am so sick and tired of hearing Gholston is a workout warrior. The guy had seasons of dougle digit sacks, he is no workout warrior. He is a very good player who Mandumb**** miss used.

As for Heyward-Bey, who exactly were the great Quarterbacks he had at Maryland?

I am so sick and tired of hearing Gholston is a workout warrior. The guy had seasons of dougle digit sacks, he is no workout warrior. He is a very good player who Mandumb**** miss used.

Are you forgetting who the Jets' QB's are? :lol:

But on a serious note, Draft HEYWARD-BEY.

Are you forgetting who the Jets' QB's are? :lol:

But on a serious note, Draft HEYWARD-BEY.

I'll take Kellen Clemens over any chump at Maryland.

As well as our OLine to give him protection.

As well as our Running Backs to draw defenders closer to the line.

\:D/

Heyward-Bey measured in at 6'1 5/8. He isn't 6'3" tall, let alone 6'4" tall. Not unless he's wearing 8 pairs of thermal socks.

You watch a lot more college football than I do. What do you ascribe his lack of production to? Because he seems to have mediocre #2 college WR numbers even though he was clearly their #1. Was it all Chris Turner's fault? I read a couple of reports that he doesn't exactly have the best hands...or even good hands. He sure runs fast though & would love to have a guy that fast on the field. The question is, will he BE on the field in base 2-WR sets, and if so would he be there because he's that good, because everyone else is so bad, or just because he got drafted at #17?

That was easy.

Wells is by far the best player on the board here.

DHB and Nicks shouldn't be 1st rounders, and Jackson plays a position with limited value in our system, and he has limited upside. He won't be a Richard Seymour.

Wells, on the other hand, has game-changing ability at a position we're very suspect at in the near future. Our scat back is 27 and our horse is 31. Wells has been considered a player that could go in the top 10 since he was in high school. People have been searching for reasons to knock him. Questioning his toughness or his running style. He's a bonafide beast and the Jets would be lucky to get him.

The only thing, if anything that will stop Wells being a stud in the NFL is injury.

He's going to be a great RB IMO. Freakish combination of size, power and speed.

Unfortunately, the inability to stay healthy in the NFL is like a MLB hitter being unable to hit an off speed pitch.

I like Wells' ability, but with the money a 17th overall will get having him never be healthy would be a cap killer.

jackson

best value at 17, and the best player of that group. coleman sux and ellis is getting old, perfect year to draft a DE

+ 1.

Although, I am warming up to the idea of Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd....just dont know if he is going to fall that far...but it would give us flexibily in the 1st.

DHB scares the snot out of me.

Nicks isnt first round talent.

You can find RB's all over the draft

Unfortunately, the inability to stay healthy in the NFL is like a MLB hitter being unable to hit an off speed pitch.

I like Wells' ability, but with the money a 17th overall will get having him never be healthy would be a cap killer.

The money given to the 17th overall isn't going to kill anybody's cap situation. Jarvis Moss was the 17th pick in 2007... is he killing the Broncos cap?

Moss, the 17th player chosen overall in April, will sign a five-year contract. The deal, negotiated by Pat Dye Jr. and Bill Johnson of ProFiles Sports, has a maximum value of $15 million and includes $8 million in guarantees.

Money isn't the issue at 17, which is why you take the best player. Wells, IMO, is the best player on this list by a mile.

Players around #17 don't make THAT much unless Mike Tannenbaum is giving them top-6 money contracts like he did with Revis.

Gosder Cherilus went #17 last year. 5 years, $12.5M (just under $9M guaranteed) with another $2.4M available in incentives. So you're talking about a maximum of a $3M/yr average.

Middle to the bottom of round 1 is the best value in football...unless you pick a bust.

Hell, even at #10 last year, Jerod Mayo's contract is 5 years, $18.9M ($13.8M of it guaranteed). Try to find a young player with his talent (and, in hindsight, production) in free agency for under $3.8M per year.

***edit: I see LiveMike brought up the same point with Jarvis Moss (5 years, $15M with up to another $3M in incentives). If these guys are busts or injured to the point where they don't live up to their 1st round billing, they don't earn the incentives.

For this talent level (or presumed talent level), these guys are unbelievably CHEAP.

I went with jackson. non of those receivers really excites me. Especially nicks. and ohio state rb's scare me. I'd take moreno though over any of these guys.

Honestly, I tihnk he's going to be terrible. He has more weaknesses than strengths.

I'd go with Wells on this one.

I said he was a "potential workout warrior." I dont see how you can disagree that its a least a possibility.

How was he misused last year? Mangini used him as a rushing DE/OLB in passing situations. How would you have used him?

No, the risk isn't nearly as big as you make out. Also when a player is as talented as I believe Wells is, you take him. He reminds me of Adrian Peterson (Not quite as fast and nowhere near as elusive) in terms of the way he runs and the power in which he hits the hole.

I'd take him in a heartbeat at 17.

No, the risk isn't nearly as big as you make out. Also when a player is as talented as I believe Wells is, you take him. He reminds me of Adrian Peterson (Not quite as fast and nowhere near as elusive) in terms of the way he runs and the power in which he hits the hole.

I'd take him in a heartbeat at 17.

ok, who would you rather have at the rb spot wells or moreno???

Archived