TNJet

at 17?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. at 17?

• Heyward-Bey
    • Hakeem Nicks
    • Tyson Jackson
    • Beanie Wells

WHat of the rumors of not being a good route runner? I only know what I read at this point as the College FB watching time has seriously been reduced since my last daughter was born..

Well yeah, obviously there's negatives to him as a prospect, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about nabbing him at 17. My point was that a lot of the little things that he should have polished off in college didn't due to circumstances that weren't his fault, namely his coaching staff not even bothering with them (name one true WR that Friedgen's ever developed for the pro level at Maryland not named Vernon Davis, who technically doesn't even qualify). Personally I think his negatives get overblown due to the fact that he had a great workout and his stat sheet doesn't exactly jump off the page when you see it. Thus, people dub him a workout warrior unfairly when the fact of the matter is that whenever Maryland was clicking in any way (which was rare), it was usually due to his involvement in some way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well yeah, obviously there's negatives to him as a prospect, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about nabbing him at 17. My point was that a lot of the little things that he should have polished off in college didn't due to circumstances that weren't his fault, namely his coaching staff not even bothering with them (name one true WR that Friedgen's ever developed for the pro level at Maryland not named Vernon Davis, who technically doesn't even qualify). Personally I think his negatives get overblown due to the fact that he had a great workout and his stat sheet doesn't exactly jump off the page when you see it. Thus, people dub him a workout warrior unfairly when the fact of the matter is that whenever Maryland was clicking in any way (which was rare), it was usually due to his involvement in some way.

The scare is asking a player in hopes that he is something he has never been and to learn how to be it in the NFL. There are plenty of examples, just look at Vernon Gholston.

Its a lot to put on a player that is somewhat raw and has never been more more than an option. How can you feel good about asking this kid to become a #1? He makes sense for teams that need a compliment or a slot. Not on our team with no true #1 and not in the first round.

BTW, the spelling suggestion for your name is Readjusting.

I picked Jackson because it's very hard to go wrong with LSU DL, but I'd also be happy with Heyward-Bey because of Ryan's familiarity with the program - we're also looking at Barnes, Gronkowski, and a couple of offensive linemen.

The line of thinking that a prospect will be good based on other guys who went to the same school as him and playing the same position as him is the biggest bunch of nonsense. The college a football player decides to play for does not define how good he will be in the NFL, so lets throw that notion out the window.

The scare is asking a player in hopes that he is something he has never been and to learn how to be it in the NFL. There are plenty of examples, just look at Vernon Gholston.

Its a lot to put on a player that is somewhat raw and has never been more more than an option. How can you feel good about asking this kid to become a #1? He makes sense for teams that need a compliment or a slot. Not on our team with no true #1 and not in the first round.

BTW, the spelling suggestion for your name is Readjusting.

Meh, there's plenty of examples of the opposite as well. Such is the inexact science of drafting. Bottom line, if you're drafting at 17 and you're looking to draft a WR to immediately become your #1 option out of the gate, you're not being very realistic.

BTW, saying he's never been a #1 is flat out wrong...as is trying to categorize the way Maryland uses its receivers in such a manner.

Meh, there's plenty of examples of the opposite as well. Such is the inexact science of drafting. Bottom line, if you're drafting at 17 and you're looking to draft a WR to immediately become your #1 option out of the gate, you're not being very realistic.

BTW, saying he's never been a #1 is flat out wrong...as is trying to categorize the way Maryland uses its receivers in such a manner.

Which is why I rather go defense and which is why I would draft Tyson Jackson. A pick for depth and the future. Instead of drafting a WR that you would by matter of default asking him to be your #1 WR.

And your last statement just makes me more nervous. Overall, your right, its the "science" of the draft. I would just prefer not to use "science" and try to go with judgement. "Science" landed us Vernon Gholston.

Archived