Draft question??

TNJet

What if the usual happens at 17 and a top ten player is setting there looking us in the face? Say like a Eugene Monroe, Everette Brown, or Jason Smith? I say this because yes we dont really need an OT, but do you think Rex would then draft BAP?? Just something to think about.

The answer is it depends. In general, they have to make reasonable sense even if they represent great value.

If someone like Crabtree fell for some ridiculous reason then we should be all over that without hesitation. However, if you specifically meant the guys you listed I wouldn't take any of them. Monroe and, especially, Smith are more LT prospects which we already have. Neither can call run blocking their strength and Smith might even be below average in that department right now. We don't need a LT since we already have one so what would be the point in taking them just to play them out of position. It would negate the value the represented in the draft. Same problem with Brown, we don't need another OLB right now and probably couldn't afford to have 4 significant contracts locked up at that position anyway. Also, for the people that have given up on Gholston already, Brown is similar to him in many ways. Again, what would be the point and we'd be negating the value he represented at the time.

Since other teams would probably be looking to move up to grab someone who fell like that our best bet would be to trade down if someone with a high grade fell to us, unless it was someone we could really use ourselves like Maclin, Crabtree, or Sanchez.

like GG3 said, if it's a pure LT, I'd pass, but if it's an interior o-lineman with some versatility or a dominant run blocking RT, I take him because you never know when you need a backup to step in for 8 games

Archived