Ray Lewis and Jay Cutler: Both could & should have been Jets.

Barton

But you can't assume because they came from a similar situation that they're of similar ability. Scott is a good player, he wont suddenly lose his ability because Ray Lewis is gone. Rest assured, he'll be a very good signing.

Hartwell is an example of a guy with a remarkably similar story to Bart Scott's: a lightly regarded player who blew up playing next to Ray Lewis who signed a sweet deal as a free agent. Hartwell absolutely disappeared. I'm just saying that we should wait and see before we proclaim Scott as a big-time signing until he proves that he can get it done without hiding behind RayLew's cape.

I like the signing myself, but I'd be even more excited if the Jets didn't have to pay huge dollars to a guy who was oundrafted. How about the Jets, one of these days, goes out and finds their OWN Bart Scott, ya know?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Ryan and his DC showing up at Scott's house at five minutes after midnight the day free agency opened made it painfully clear he wanted Scott more than Lewis. If you actually paid attention to what actually happened you might have a point.

You don't sign a 34-year-old LB to a big money free agent deal, no matter how good he WAS.

You sign the younger, hungrier, more versatile guy who is desperate for his chance to be the guy.

+1

Does anyone realize that in order for Rex and the DC to be at Scott's house 5 minutes past midnight, the Jets contingent had to leave before 11 pm? That's about an 1hrs flight (1 hr 15m commercial) plus the drive time to his house.

When was the Jets going to say, "Oh, let's try Lewis first and then go after Scott," if the Jets had to leave on a plane BEFORE the FA period began.

Did this happen on Woody's jet? Did Tannenbaum tell the pilot, "Circle in the air so we can figure out where we're going to do: Ray Lewis' house or Scotts."

Hartwell is an example of a guy with a remarkably similar story to Bart Scott's: a lightly regarded player who blew up playing next to Ray Lewis who signed a sweet deal as a free agent. Hartwell absolutely disappeared. I'm just saying that we should wait and see before we proclaim Scott as a big-time signing until he proves that he can get it done without hiding behind RayLew's cape.

I like the signing myself, but I'd be even more excited if the Jets didn't have to pay huge dollars to a guy who was oundrafted. How about the Jets, one of these days, goes out and finds their OWN Bart Scott, ya know?

Similar story does not equal similar talent.

Hartwell, first of all was playing beside a much BETTER version of Ray Lewis and he just simply wasn't that good.

+1

Does anyone realize that in order for Rex and the DC to be at Scott's house 5 minutes past midnight, the Jets contingent had to leave before 11 pm? That's about an 1hrs flight (1 hr 15m commercial) plus the drive time to his house.

When was the Jets going to say, "Oh, let's try Lewis first and then go after Scott," if the Jets had to leave on a plane BEFORE the FA period began.

Did this happen on Woody's jet? Did Tannenbaum tell the pilot, "Circle in the air so we can figure out where we're going to do: Ray Lewis' house or Scotts."

And as you can attest SMC, I rarely buy jerseys of active players and I already ordered my authentic Bart Scott jersey for this season.

Similar story does not equal similar talent.

Hartwell, first of all was playing beside a much BETTER version of Ray Lewis and he just simply wasn't that good.

But Hartwell played behind a line that did not include Haloti Ngata, who might be the best defensive ltackle in the league, too. The variables weigh out equally. Again, I'm not saying that Scott=Hartwell. All I'm saying is that Hartwell is evidence that we should use some caution.

But Hartwell played behind a line that did not include Haloti Ngata, who might be the best defensive ltackle in the league, too. The variables weigh out equally. Again, I'm not saying that Scott=Hartwell. All I'm saying is that Hartwell is evidence that we should use some caution.

Kris Jenkins > Haloti Ngata

But that's not the point. I'm not worried about Scott, it's not like he's going to be asked to carry this front 7 ALL of the time. Guys like Jenkins, Ellis, Pace, Harris etc they aren't exactly scrubs.

Scott and our defense will be fine next season.

But that's not the point. I'm not worried about Scott, it's not like he's going to be asked to carry this front 7 ALL of the time. Guys like Jenkins, Ellis, Pace, Harris etc they aren't exactly scrubs.

Are you nuts?

Ngata is a younger version of jenkins

Jenkins body broke down 2H of season and clearly D was not the same.

Ravens DL is 2X jets, as rex will find out

Dude... :character42:

Kris Jenkins was the best defensive player in the NFL for large parts of last season.

He wore down, which is a problem. I'm confident that Ryan will not let that happen him this season. Ngata is good, but he's not nearly the dominant force a 100% Kris Jenkins is.

Are you nuts?

Ngata is a younger version of jenkins

Jenkins body broke down 2H of season and clearly D was not the same.

Ravens DL is 2X jets, as rex will find out

Like I said Jenkins was THE BEST defensive lineman in the NFL up until the Broncos game. He wore down and the D fell apart. I doubt that will happen this year.

Jenkins is a beast.

Kris Jenkins was the best defensive player in the NFL for large parts of last season.

He wore down, which is a problem. I'm confident that Ryan will not let that happen him this season. Ngata is good, but he's not nearly the dominant force a 100% Kris Jenkins is.

IJ, you seem like you're a good, smart dude. But c'mon. There ain't a GM in the world that will agree with you. We paid a second rounder to get Jenk out of Carolina. Call Ozzie Newsome, offer a two for Ngata, and listen to how hard Newsome slams the phone in your ear. :D

Like I said Jenkins was THE BEST defensive lineman in the NFL up until the Broncos game. He wore down and the D fell apart. I doubt that will happen this year.

Jenkins is a beast.

He has been injury prone, i will take the younger beast myself

IJ, you seem like you're a good, smart dude. But c'mon. There ain't a GM in the world that will agree with you. We paid a second rounder to get Jenk out of Carolina. Call Ozzie Newsome, offer a two for Ngata, and listen to how hard Newsome slams the phone in your ear. :D

They're not comparable in terms of value. Jenkins is much older and has more wear and tear than Ngata.

In Carolina Jenkins was depressed, unmotivated and BADLY overweight. He wanted out so obviously the value of say a Ngata deal wasn't there.

He got in shape this season and dominated most of the season. He was unblockable for large amounts of the season. I remember Carolina fans telling me before hand what he was potentially capable of when in sape and healthy. They simply said he's unstoppable.

I remember Bill Cowher saying after a Jenkins interview on CBS that he was "The Best defensive player in football". No one disagreed.

He has been injury prone, i will take the younger beast myself

True, I'm comparing the two when they're 100%.

BTW, I probably would trade Jenkins for Ngata because of the potential Ngata has, he's younger and as Afo said he's less injury prone. Ngata's not superior in regards to current ability.

They're both great players, but when 100% Jenkins is much better.

They're not comparable in terms of value. Jenkins is much older and has more wear and tear than Ngata.

In Carolina Jenkins was depressed, unmotivated and BADLY overweight. He wanted out so obviously the value of say a Ngata deal wasn't there.

He got in shape this season and dominated most of the season. He was unblockable for large amounts of the season. I remember Carolina fans telling me before hand what he was potentially capable of when in sape and healthy. They simply said he's unstoppable.

I remember Bill Cowher saying after a Jenkins interview on CBS that he was "The Best defensive player in football". No one disagreed.

Ah. So we differ on the definition of "best." Jenkins is the "best" player over a short span when he's motivated. Ngata is better over the long haul.

Ah. So we differ on the definition of "best." Jenkins is the "best" player over a short span when he's motivated. Ngata is better over the long haul.

Jenkins wore down, and it's a problem. I'm not denying that.

BUT I think that was largely down to lack of depth behind him. Hopefully Ryan will mix it up more this season on the D-line. He did that a lot in Baltimore.

My point remains though. If you're suggesting that Scotts production may drop because of Ngata no longer being around I'm simply telling you not to worry because Jenkins is going to be there instead.

AND Ryan. We'll see how great the Ravens defense is without Ryan.

For 2009 and beyond, Bart Scott is a better player to have than Ray Lewis.

And the Broncos never called the Jets back because they wanted Cutler out of the AFC.

I don't get your point, Barton.

But Ray Lewis won DPOY 6 years ago HE MUST BE GOOD!!!1111!!!!!!!

Yeah, same logic you applied to Brett Favre. How'd that work out...

Also, you're the same guy who was all over Clemens' nutsack when Pennington was here. Now that the anti-christ is gone, you quit on the guy.

Seriously, cry me a river.

So far exactly the same as the guy's whose knob you are polishing in another thread..

I'd take Ray over Bart Scott any day...

So far exactly the same as the guy's whose knob you are polishing in another thread..

I'd take Ray over Bart Scott any day...

Comparing Favre to Jenkins is laughable. Simply laughable.

Not only becuase they play completely different positions which have completely different reponsibilities but also because Jenkins was GREAT for 11 games last season. Regardless of what you think, Favre wasn't great last season away from the Arizona game.

That Ravens defense was great with HC losers Mike Nolan and Marvin Lewis long before Rex Ryan got his hands on it. Hey now.

Yeah, when Ray Lewis was in his prime and overall, they had even more talent than they do now. Like I said, we will see how great they are this year.

Hey now.

Comparing Favre to Jenkins is laughable. Simply laughable.

Not only becuase they play completely different positions which have completely different reponsibilities but also because Jenkins was GREAT for 11 games last season. Regardless of what you think, Favre wasn't great last season away from the Arizona game.

BS.. The only thing that's laughable is your deluded revisionist history..

A QB with a month of training camp in a new systems who had his team at 8-3, with a top 3 scoring offense in football wasn't playing great?

Favre was pace for 3600 yards, a 70% completion %, and 29-30 TD's with 19 INT's and was playing his best ball in games 8-11 when we were 4-0, averaging over 35 PPG and he was completing 75% of his passes with a TD/INT of 5/2. This is the exact time period that nearly everyone predicted he would pick it up and also occurred during one of the roughest bits of our schedule, @Buff, @NE and @TN...

The same points cane be made about Jenkins, his most dominant games were the Bills games and Titans games but he was nowhere to be found/hurt in the SB/NE/KC games..

BS.. The only thing that's laughable is your deluded revisionist history..

A QB with a month of training camp in a new systems who had his team at 8-3, with a top 3 scoring offense in football wasn't playing great?

Favre was pace for 3600 yards, a 70% completion %, and 29-30 TD's with 19 INT's and was playing his best ball in games 8-11 when we were 4-0, averaging over 35 PPG and he was completing 75% of his passes with a TD/INT of 5/2. This is the exact time period that nearly everyone predicted he would pick it up and also occurred during one of the roughest bits of our schedule, @Buff, @NE and @TN...

The same points cane be made about Jenkins, his most dominant games were the Bills games and Titans games but he was nowhere to be found/hurt in the SB/NE/KC games..

You're still comparing a QB to a NT, which in itself is laughable.

First off - Who the **** is SB?

As for Favre, no, he was not as consistent as Jenkins. He was a one dimensional QB who ended up hurting his team more than he was helping it. He couldn't throw downfield which eventually led to his collpase. There's only so many slants, hooks, screens etc. you can throw before teams figure you out.

You're still comparing a QB to a NT, which in itself is laughable.

First off - Who the **** is SB?

As for Favre, no, he was not as consistent as Jenkins. He was a one dimensional QB who ended up hurting his team more than he was helping it. He couldn't throw downfield which eventually led to his collpase. There's only so many slants, hooks, screens etc. you can throw before teams figure you out.

San Diego

And again, name me a game that Jenkins was effective in when we were attacked by a fast paced, spread out offense? There's only so many teams that will box their offense in and run right at him all game :rolleyes:

San Diego

And again, name me a game that Jenkins was effective in when we were attacked by a fast paced, spread out offense? There's only so many teams that will box their offense in and run right at him all game :rolleyes:

Jenkins got injured and left on the first or second drive of that game but nice try anyways.

The fact that Jenkins forces teams to do that (spread out) is an advantage in itself. The problem was the players around him (Pass rushers, DB's) couldn't do anything about it. The fact that he made offenses one dimensional is a GREAT aspect of his play.

Jenkins got injured and left on the first or second drive of that game but nice try anyways.

No ****. That's the point. What good was Jenkins if he wasn't on the field or ineffectually for almost half the season?

The fact that Jenkins forces teams to do that (spread out) is an advantage in itself. The problem was the players around him (Pass rushers, DB's) couldn't do anything about it. The fact that he made offenses one dimensional is a GREAT aspect of his play.

Yes, and also made him one dimensional as it meant more time on the bench until his complete collapse in week 11... Like Favre... which was my point..

Our defense sucked a fat ass last year, and I'm quite certain it would've sucked in a very similiar way had we not traded for Jenkins, the drive stats almost prove it as we gave up 30/31/30 Yard per drive on defense in the 3 seasons under Mangini, meaning there was no tangible benefit to his presence..

I don't see how you can say that Favre and Jenkins performance arc over the season weren't very similiar. Both had moments of brilliance and above average play, and both pretty much took the last 1/3 of the season off..

Yeah, because that Bart Scott guy sucks.

Not to mention how terrible it is having two first round picks over the next two years and still keeping in place this strong defense.

Wash the sand out of your vagina.

LMAO!

On the other hand, Vagina's arent all that bad.

Barton if you think the Jets are so *****ing useless and will never get the BIG player go root for another team. I'm so sick of all this "woe is us" shtick that so many Jet fans seem to have. If you have that little faith in the organization stop rooting for them and stop wasting all of our time. None of these comments bring anything useful or interesting to the forums.

Barton should root for the Redskins because they never disappoint by going after the second best guy.

Both could have and should have been Jets....can I nominate this for the dumbest thread of the week award?

With Marino, who cares. Just like O'Brien he would've been killed.

With Sapp, ugh, Kyle Brady. :hump:

Dude, Scott is a solid player.

But he's not going to lead OR be as good as Ray Lewis.

No doubt he's not the same leader. But there's no guarantee Ray's as good a leader on another team.

There's plenty of doubt that Ray is better than Scott RIGHT NOW. Scott will likely never be as good as Ray in his prime. Few are. But Bart Scott today vs. Ray Lewis today. Give me Scott.

Archived