Jets article I wrote

GangGreen

Call me crazy, but the News York Jets franchise is looking to become the Yankees of baseball, in the ridiculous amounts of money they are spending to upgrade their players.

The Yankees spend that much because they have the most revenue & can best-afford it.

By contrast, the Jets are operating within the confines of the same salary cap every other team has.

The analogy most draw to is Washington, but I don't know if that's even fair. Washington signed guys to contracts they knew would cause roster changes & cap casualty releases within 2 years. The Jets do not have this issue going forward.

the Jets still manage to find themselves in great a great financial position with $11.2 million under the cap.

Yes and no. The Jets are going to want to do some LTBE/ULTBE incentives to move some current cap space on to the future. I'd hate to see them miss out on someone next year (or fail to re-sign someone) because we added a handful of $2M players who won't see the field much.

As far as Leftwich's salary, I don't know what his demands are. But any $650K contract we sign him to would surely have bonuses built in if we actually used him. Meaning, if he's used, he doesn't cost $650K. And he hasn't put up solid numbers the past few seasons. Hell, he hasn't put up any real numbers since 2005.

...we also have one of the best running back combinations in the league. Thomas Jones proved that he could be an elite running back when he had a solid offensive line in front of him

Thomas Jones is not elite. He hasn't been elite since he was in college. Our run-blocking was elite.

And Leon, while still young right now, isn't SO young anymore. He turns 27 before the season starts.

...They also have some depth at CB with the young Dwight Lowery showing lots of potential to be a starting cornerback in this league. The Jets

Call me crazy, but the
News York Jets franchise is looking to become the Yankees of baseball, in the ridiculous amounts of money they are spending to upgrade their players. The question, though is will it pay off? I did a little research and found some interesting numbers. Albeit the Jets spending hundreds of millions of dollars these past two seasons on aging veterans, the Jets still manage to find themselves in great a great financial position with $11.2 million under the cap.

There are many reasons (mainly more income streams) the Yankees spend

***Re-writing a little bit, 2nd draft. Probably still sucks, but is it better?***

Call me crazy, but the News York Jets franchise is looking to become instant playoff contenders, in the ridiculous amounts of money they are spending to upgrade their players. The question, though is will it pay off? I did a little research and found some interesting numbers. Albeit the Jets spending hundreds of millions of dollars these past two seasons on aging veterans, the Jets still manage to find themselves in a decent financial position with $11.2 million under the cap. From what I hear, the New York Jets could attempt to pursue a veteran quarterback in free agency with their new found cap space. Can somebody say Byron Leftwich? I mean, why not, this guy is perfect.

He wouldn’t damage the salary cap much, as he'd only make $650k a year, not including bonuses, and actually takes chances when the game is on the line. The Jets desperately need a QB who can manage the game well, and push the other QBs in training camp. Leftwich hasn't put up solid numbers these past few seasons, but I believe that with some good coaching, he could return to his 2005 form. With a solid, top-ranked offensive line unit added to that, along with the thunder and lightning rushing attack and a great WR core (I believe in Stuckey and Clowney), how can Leftwich not return to his old self? Some might say that he’s on the downside of his career, but they said the same thing about Favre. Now, I know Jets fans don’t like to hear that name anymore, but Favre was putting up MVP-type numbers up until his injury. Leftwich would be in a perfect position to bring this desperate Jets team to a championship. I mean, seriously, he’d have Pro Bowl talent all around him (7 Pro Bowlers last season, most in NFL). Not only would he have the solid possession receiver Cotchery to throw to, but he also would have a young Stuckey, who showed some promise last season, and an unproven Clowney, who will be motivated in training camp to get that #1 receiver spot. Let’s not forget about our young star, Dustin Keller, who proved himself a reliable receiving tight end in the league. He’s not too great at blocking, and I expect the Jets to go after a blocking tight end in the later rounds.

Not only could our passing game do well, we also have one of the best running back combinations in the league. Thomas Jones proven that he could be a huge threat to defenses when he had a solid offensive line in front of him. He was fifth in rushing yards last season, and third in total touchdowns just a season after he only got two rushing touchdowns. Let’s not forget about our young offensive star, “Neon” Leon Washington. This guy is just a pure beast. Not only did he have one of the highest averages in kick returns last season, he also had the most runs of fifty or more yards. I’m very impressed with his performance, and he is going to be a future perennial Pro Bowler.

New head coach Rex Ryan is also bringing that smashmouth mentality to the defense. The Jets are looking to be the top defense next season and prove that last season was a fluke. As most Jets fans know, Rex Ryan has been the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens for the past four seasons. Rex Ryan used his connections as an advantage. Not only did the Jets pick up the young linebacker in his prime Bart Scott, he also managed to get Jim Leonhard, who will push Abram Elam in training camp for the starting spot. For the Jets’ defensive line, they look to put pressure on the running game a lot this season with Pro Bowler Kris Jenkins anchoring the defensive line. Albeit Jenkins performing well last season, we may need to get some depth at nose tackle for Jenkins. Expect the Jets to use a late pick to fill this need.

As for the defensive ends, I'm actually pretty pleased with their performance. While some may say Ellis is on the downside of his career, I look for Coleman to make a huge impact this season in the pass rush. Found an interesting stat on Coleman. In 2007, he led the league in tackles at defensive end. While our defensive ends aren't the best of the bunch, we have much bigger needs to address.

The linebacker core looks very promising. 2008 first round draft pick Vernon Gholston out of Ohio State is looking to come off a rusty start to his NFL career in 2008. After a disappointing start to his career, Gholston started working with former MVP of the National Football League, Lawerence Taylor. I believe that Gholston will still have a tough time adjusting to Rex Ryan's defensive scheme, but he will be much better than most people think he will be. The Jets also upgraded their linebacker core these past few seasons with the addition of the young, very talented David Harris. Harris, in my opinion, has the potential to be one of the best LBs in the league. He has the size, he has the talent, and he has the mentality of a true football player. I'm very pleased with the way he's developing, and he will be my defensive player to watch in 2009. He's looking to come off his sophomore slump he had last season, and show the fans that it was just a fluke. He’s also surrounded by a bunch of veteran LBs who can help him out along the way (2008 additon Calvin Pace, and new additon Larry Izzo).

The Jets also have one of the best starting cornerback rotations in the NFL. Not only do they have Darrelle Revis, whom many analysts have claimed he’s already a top five CB in the league as a 23 year old, they also have a veteran Pro Bowl cornerback in Lito Sheppard. Depth may be an issue, with unproven CBs such as Dwight Lowery and Donald Strickland backing up, so look for the Jets to address this need in the draft.

The Jets’ safties are also looking to come off a rough 2008 season. We have a very young Kerry Rhodes, who was snubbed by the Pro Bowl in 2007, and the newly acquired Jim Leonard, who will compete for a starting spot against Abram Elam.

The Jets do have needs at certain positions, but I believe that with the right coaching and a decent draft to fill those needs, the Jets will be a top contender in the AFC East, and possibly the big game. That’s right, I’m predicting the Jet’s first Super Bowl since 1967-1968. Don’t count them out.

Thomas Jones proved that he could be an elite running back when he had a solid offensive line in front of him

I had to stop after seeing this, he is far from an elite back. That's why him holding out for a contract, and doing it before the draft is idiotic. We could draft a RB in the first 3 rounds and plug him in with the same effect. It was our run blocking, not Jones being "Elite".

Also wrote a quick poem about football, and I didn't post it cause poetry is gay :P

If for some reason you do like ****ty poetry, though, look at my profile on triond (I'm Falcon63).

Yeah, I got another poem up (just to make some money). And they haven't given me credit for my article, and they declined my revised article. It's weird, but I'm not getting paid for that article :(

http://www.authspot.com/Poetry/Defying-Fate.648955 (It sucks and it's cheesey, but I want some $$$ :))

I wrote another poem even though you guys don't care. This is the last time I'm bumping this, I swear.

Okay... so you didn't post your original poem, because you think poetry is gay. Then after making that statement, you post two poems.

The only conclussion I can come to is that you are, in fact, double-gay.

Okay... so you didn't post your original poem, because you think poetry is gay. Then after making that statement, you post two poems.

The only conclussion I can come to is that you are, in fact, double-gay.

Just for that, I wrote an actual article :) Not up yet, it's "pending" :)

Archived