WR Miles Austin: MERGED

SoFlaJets

Yes and no. Austin has a fantastic skill set, but Dallas uses it scheme to get him the ball at any and all costs. Schotty on the other hand, is an awful OC who despite having a few good games does not maximize his players' potential. Austin on the Jets would be a nice addition, but still under-utilize like Leon Washington has been in recent years

IMO if Braylon Edwards were on Dallas, statistically he would be just as good if not better than Miles Austin

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes and no. Austin has a fantastic skill set, but Dallas uses it scheme to get him the ball at any and all costs. Schotty on the other hand, is an awful OC who despite having a few good games does not maximize his players' potential. Austin on the Jets would be a nice addition, but still under-utilize like Leon Washington has been in recent years

IMO if Braylon Edwards were on Dallas, statistically he would be just as good if not better than Miles Austin

The question discussed was whether or not Austin's skill set made him worth a 2nd round pick. I think it is clear that his talent would have been well worth a 2nd rounder. Especially considering we gave up a 3rd for Edwards and:

Austin >>>>>>>>> Edwards

The question discussed was whether or not Austin's skill set made him worth a 2nd round pick. I think it is clear that his talent would have been well worth a 2nd rounder. Especially considering we gave up a 3rd for Edwards and:

Austin >>>>>>>>> Edwards

Right, I remember this thread many moons ago and I was against it then because I didn't think we should roll the dice on a potential JMac v.2. I was in the camp getting:

1) Marshall

2) Boldin

3) Edwards

In any event, if we did get Austin his production there (1312 11 tds) would not be the same here (IMO 700-800 5-6 tds) on the fact that we're a ground oriented offense. That would've been better production we got from Edwards and similar numbers Cotchery put up. You still need to take into account who is making the play calls and drawing up the schemes. Schotty is an idiot and a bad OC, who I hope finds the door by accepting a HC position next year.

My argument is saying that yes, Austin clearly has a great skill set but would not be maximized and not produce those numbers. In the eyes of Jets fans, if we spent a 2nd rounder to get 700-800 yards production then we'd be calling for Tannys head

the whole "schotty is an awful OC" argument is losing credibility every day.

Don't let the sheet be pulled over your head, for the past season we've all called for Schottys head because of his predictable play calling, lack of creativity and inability to use the talent around him to the best of his ability.

We have yet to see the heavy formation with 0 WRs and Turner in motion in this playoffs, or any of our lovable play calls that we've killed him on in the past year. I'm not going to sit here bashing him, looking like a sour sally on the board because he's had a good string of games, and FINALLY the Bradcat is making him look great (I think he should get a play where Smith throws the ball). Austin on this team though wouldn't be the same player that we see today in Dallas statistically, because we're not the same offense as Dallas.

has anybody else noticed that since Sanchez decided to put the wrist band plays on that he's been a lot better? It was his choice to do it too...I heard him in an interview say that he only started wearing it AFTER he learned the plays-he didn't want a crutch and now that he does it just makes it easier

has anybody else noticed that since Sanchez decided to put the wrist band plays on that he's been a lot better? It was his choice to do it too...I heard him in an interview say that he only started wearing it AFTER he learned the plays-he didn't want a crutch and now that he does it just makes it easier

I'm just going to stay away from this one.

LOL - i love revisiting threads.

Still, I dont see any reason why would have traded a 2nd round pick for an unknown player. Clearly, he'd be worth it and I was wrong about him, but how the F was I supposed to know...there was nothing out there about this guy other than him being liked by the FO.

LOL - i love revisiting threads.

Still, I dont see any reason why would have traded a 2nd round pick for an unknown player. Clearly, he'd be worth it and I was wrong about him, but how the F was I supposed to know...there was nothing out there about this guy other than him being liked by the FO.

the whole point of necro posting this thread though JiF is that the Jets and Tannenbaum knew. He was their first choice while all of us were saying, no I want Marshall, I want Edwards, I want Boldin. What do we know, we're only Jets fans who aren't IN the football business. There's no shame in that.

If anything it has more credibility. Him finally calling a decent game just goes to show that he was doing the wrong thing this whole time. Especially him getting Leon hurt.

wow, im surprised by all the Mile Austin hate. He is the best WR in Dallas imo, and it would be a major upset if Jerry Jones didnt match any offer we came up with. Austin is not Mcariens. Austin is also better than any WR in the draft after Crabtree

Giving up a 2nd rd pick for this guy is damn near stupidity.

Austin is the best WR in Dallas, yet he only caught 13 passes and was used primarly for ST? How on earth can you make that comment? You think he is better than Roy William and Patrick Crayton?

lolz

the whole point of necro posting this thread though JiF is that the Jets and Tannenbaum knew. He was their first choice while all of us were saying, no I want Marshall, I want Edwards, I want Boldin. What do we know, we're only Jets fans who aren't IN the football business. There's no shame in that.

Yeah, but how did they "know"...based off what? Thats my point.

Did we steal someone from their coaching staff to give us the inside scoop on Austin. Where was this "knowledge" coming from?

Thats my point. We never got that info. If our scouting team is that good, then why do we have a guy like Vernon Gholston on this team?...lol.

I get your point, but to try and sell something like that to a fanbase like us that doesnt know, is tough to swallow.

Yeah, but how did they "know"...based off what? Thats my point.

Did we steal someone from their coaching staff to give us the inside scoop on Austin. Where was this "knowledge" coming from?

Thats my point. We never got that info. If our scouting team is that good, then why do we have a guy like Vernon Gholston on this team?...lol.

I get your point, but to try and sell something like that to a fanbase like us that doesnt know, is tough to swallow.

the NFL is like a small town-everybody knows what everybody else knows. Also, Miles is a Jersey boy, they had to have some inkling as to what kind of a kid this was. Shonn Greene too...another Jersey boy they jumped on.

wow, im surprised by all the Mile Austin hate. He is the best WR in Dallas imo, and it would be a major upset if Jerry Jones didnt match any offer we came up with. Austin is not Mcariens. Austin is also better than any WR in the draft after Crabtree

Yes i still believe this. Good job to the other Austin bandwagoners. All you haters happy with Braylon over this guy?

Its is funny. But again, how was I or anyone else supposed to know? 2nd round pick ws high for an unknown?

His talent stood out to me in his limited oppurtunities last year. Guy had an explosiveness the other wrs in dallas lacked. I suspected he would be a great signing based on what i saw

Give props to the FO for targeting a potential breakout player...at the time a second round pick seemed awful steep for an unknown quantity...another consideration...if the second rounder is gone we probably do not have enough ammunition to make the move for Sanchez. Unless we included next year's first rounder. Not sure how many would have applauded that at the time.

Give props to the FO for targeting a potential breakout player...at the time a second round pick seemed awful steep for an unknown quantity...another consideration...if the second rounder is gone we probably do not have enough ammunition to make the move for Sanchez. Unless we included next year's first rounder. Not sure how many would have applauded that at the time.

and don't forget how hard they tried to move up in the draft to get Harvin.

We definetly have some good talent evaluators right now.

Archived