WR Miles Austin: MERGED

SoFlaJets

I agree...I would not trade a 2nd rounder for him.

Henry is a complete wild card this year, he may not even make the roster. Keller is a TE, not a WR.

I agree that size is too much of an obsession, but that is the trend in today's NFL. Given our current make up in the WR department, a big target on the outside would round out the unit well.

Absolutely, it would be nice, but size doesnt automatically mean you are going to be good...Henry is a great example of that. It would be nice to have a big target on the outside, however, IMO its ridiculous to think that Miles is that guy considering he has caught 18 passes in his career.

Do you get dressed up like Mel Kiper Jr. on draft day? Just curious.

Only in my dreams. My hair isnt nearly that amazing.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely, it would be nice, but size doesnt automatically mean you are going to be good...Henry is a great example of that. It would be nice to have a big target on the outside, however, IMO its ridiculous to think that Miles is that guy considering he has caught 18 passes in his career.

Only in my dreams. My hair isnt nearly that amazing.

We dwell in the land of the mortals. Mel Kiper dwells in the lands of the gods of sweet hair.

And the GIants are rumored to be trading for Braylon Edwards..

Maybe the plan is to just punt on first down on offense this year????

Yep. No sense.

Heck, if Plax won't go to jail, I'd sign that beast!

Besides, that 2nd rounder for McCareins Jr. could go to getting Edwards.

Moronic.

Tanny will not give up a 2nd for him. Write it down.

Stop yelling how this is crazy, or stupid or whatever.

He's in for a visit. McCarriens 2.0 means we would send

a third for him since it was a round lower than the tender

offer. I doubt we do that.

If we sign him and give up a 2nd I'll sponge bath Jenkins

for a year. That's a promise. Now everyone shut the hell

up and stop being ignorant about how a 2nd would be

too much. No **** it'd be too much.

*i bet we give up a 2nd for him now*

Tanny will not give up a 2nd for him. Write it down.

Stop yelling how this is crazy, or stupid or whatever.

He's in for a visit. McCarriens 2.0 means we would send

a third for him since it was a round lower than the tender

offer. I doubt we do that.

If we sign him and give up a 2nd I'll sponge bath Jenkins

for a year. That's a promise. Now everyone shut the hell

up and stop being ignorant about how a 2nd would be

too much. No **** it'd be too much.

*i bet we give up a 2nd for him now*

???

Will somebody please explain to me how Miles Austin is better than anyone we can draft in the 2nd round? There are like 5 people claiming that in this thread.

What are you basing this off, his whopping 18 catches in 3 years in the league?

Someone inform me because I am at a loss on this one.

THANK YOU.

Plus, who's to say the Jets would draft a WR in the 2nd? Brace from BC (NT) is better than any WR available there in the 2nd. Heck, he's better value that Austin.

This is Terry Bradway Deux

???

fats obviously doesn't get it JiF...it's not if we think that Mike T will do it or not, it's that so many friggin Jets fans around the boards are so quick to say "HELL YEA MAN here's our 2nd rounder!!!" for a guy who has caught all of 18 passes in his career...

There have been a lot of people not reading threads and then commenting on something from out in left field-has anyone else noticed that happening more and more lately?

THANK YOU.

Plus, who's to say the Jets would draft a WR in the 2nd? Brace from BC (NT) is better than any WR available there in the 2nd. Heck, he's better value that Austin.

Yeah, but he's tall. ;)

To be honest SMC, my favorite draft scenairo would Tyson Jackson in the first and Ron Brace in the 2nd. I know everyone is saying how are we going to score, but I think we have will be run first team anyway.

Seriously, it un****ingbelievable.

I could get free a couple of times on a team where opposing defenses are having to contend with the likes of T.O., Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, Jason Witten, Marion Barber, Felix Jones...lol...am I worth a 2nd round pick?

For ****sake, there is no way a guy with 18 catches in his career is worth a 2nd round pick. That is seriously idiotic (no offense to you bozo's saying different).

FYI, spell check's option for your name is Snowflakes.

He never gets on the field. The WR's you listed are all ahead of him on the depth chart.

Those stats aren't bad for a 4th string WR. I'm not hoping that we get him, just that if we did, I'd give him a chance to develop.

Dallas fans love this kid.

Yeah, but he's tall. ;)

To be honest SMC, my favorite draft scenairo would Tyson Jackson in the first and Ron Brace in the 2nd. I know everyone is saying how are we going to score, but I think we have will be run first team anyway.

Yeah, like that high-flying Viking offense that has led them to so many titles recently.

Look, JiF, I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, I think you're well informed and all of that, but I think you're being a little compulsive with the defense. Drafting NO offensive players in the first two rounds at all? Drafting a guy to spell Kris Jenkins in the second?

fats obviously doesn't get it JiF...it's not if we think that Mike T will do it or not, it's that so many friggin Jets fans around the boards are so quick to say "HELL YEA MAN here's our 2nd rounder!!!" for a guy who has caught all of 18 passes in his career...

There have been a lot of people not reading threads and then commenting on something from out in left field-has anyone else noticed that happening more and more lately?

Jets fans are idiots. That's news to you?

He never gets on the field. The WR's you listed are all ahead of him on the depth chart.

Those stats aren't bad for a 4th string WR. I'm not hoping that we get him, just that if we did, I'd give him a chance to develop.

Dallas fans love this kid.

Telling me Dallas fans love the kid is probably the worst agrument you could have brought up. ;)

Yeah, like that high-flying Viking offense that has led them to so many titles recently.

Look, JiF, I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, I think you're well informed and all of that, but I think you're being a little compulsive with the defense. Drafting NO offensive players in the first two rounds at all? Drafting a guy to spell Kris Jenkins in the second?

Listen, here's the facts. In the NFL you win with an elite QB or an elite defense with an offense that can run the ball.

That said, we have no QB, we havent had one in a long time, and if the history of this team tells you anything, we arent going to find one any time soon.

Therefore, why not get as nasty of a defense that you can find to go with one of the nastiest defensive minded HCs' in the league? In that case, you draft 2 potential starters to replace guys like Ellis or Coleman and spell or eventually replace Jenkins?

It actually makes sense. TJ and Leon did most of our scoring last year anyway. Cotch had 5 TD's, LC had 7 (3 in one game). Its not like our WR's did anything to help us score with Brett friggin Favre as out Qb. What are they going to do with Kellen/Rat/Ainge?

IMO, none of these WR's are worth a first round pick that are going to be available at 17. And none of the 2nd rounders are that much better than what we already have. We are not going to the Super Bowl this year, why not build what is going to be the foundation of this team and work on the rest later?

This is a really simple and expected concept...

The JETS are thinking about taking a WR in the 1st couple of rounds... it would be stupid of them not to see what WR's are out there for the same compensation and compare them to the prospects they might be taking...

If the JETS are set on taking a WR in rounds 1 or 2 they absolutely have to take a look at Miles...

Telling me Dallas fans love the kid is probably the worst agrument you could have brought up. ;)

I concede.:face:

Still, I don't think we should be so negative towards the possibility of Austin. A 2nd rounder would be an awful lot to give up but if the Coaching Staff and Front Office see something they really like (Remember, it's a lot easier to judge talent on someone who's playing in the NFL than it is for college players) then I can understand.

I'm not rooting for this trade to happen BTW, I just wouldn't be jumping bridges if it did. I'd give the guy a chance to prove himself first.

Yeah, but he's tall. ;)

I agree we WILL be a run 1st team BUT (you knew there was a but coming ;) ) we have to a least show that we MIGHT pass the ball. Remember when we had Penny and every team played the run and dared us to pass ? That didn't work out too well did it? If we have another good WR opposite Cotch it will open the run up even more. I'm all in favour of a WR in the first round come draft day.

THANK YOU.

I like Robiskie in the second round but I think there's a good chance the run on receivers takes him off the board along with about five other guys sometime between our first and second rounders. Looking into Austin seems like the product of us being kind of in no man's land as far as where the value at receiver falls in the draft.

Brace is a fat piece of crap.

I agree we WILL be a run 1st team BUT (you knew there was a but coming ;) ) we have to a least show that we MIGHT pass the ball. Remember when we had Penny and every team played the run and dared us to pass ? That didn't work out too well did it? If we have another good WR opposite Cotch it will open the run up even more. I'm all in favour of a WR in the first round come draft day.

Look at the Ravens for an example. Cotch is better than all of their wideouts. We also have a better running game than them, which is big +.

I hope the Jets aren't trying to be the smartest guys in the room here.

Austin is a physically gifted young WR and is a solid return man. If he has a great season next year -- which is a possibility -- the Jets could look like geniuses. Of course it's a big risk, but I don't see it as any more of a risk than taking a rookie is.

Austin is just as likely to help this year as any rookie is. His measureables are tremendous (runs in the 4.4s with a 41-inch vertical), but he had to learn the NFL WR position from the ground up -- not everybody has a rookie year like Colston.

I think it would be a mistake for the Jets to make this trade, but I can understand why they at least want to give Austin a look.

As far as who's available in the 2nd round and later, I like Inglesias, Robiskie and Derrick Williams in the 2nd round and late round guys like Mike Wallace, Patrick Turner, Tiquan Underwood, and Brooks Foster have potential.

However, none of these players is more likely to have a better year than Austin.

Worth brining in. Austin is pretty good and may better than any WR we could get in the 2nd. Isn't he only 24?

I like the potential he's shown in Dallas and like it or not he's proven more than any of the draft prospects. I'd at least consider this move.

That is the only consideration. Is he better than any other potential 2's. Plus, he is not a rookie with no knowledge of the NFL. That usually sets WRs back a year. Plus, he has some serious wheels.

I love Miles, but I think a 2nd rounder is way too much for him. He's going to a sleeper next year. However, a 2nd rounder is not worth it.

My guess is they cut some kind of deal with Dallas for a lesser pick. I do not think the jet FO are a bunch of idiiots, though. If they take him they must know something.

Giving up a 2nd round pick for Miles Austin seems crazy on the surface, but it's one of those things that could be turn out to be genius and considered an absolute steal.

Big size, elite speed, versatile, young. A hidden gem overshadowed by proven vets at his position.

It would be a risky move, but I wouldn't hate it.

Giving up a 2nd round pick for Miles Austin seems crazy on the surface, but it's one of those things that could be turn out to be genius and considered an absolute steal.

Big size, elite speed, versatile, young. A hidden gem overshadowed by proven vets at his position.

At first I'd be shocked and pissed off, but if he showed us something early on, I wouldn't be so mad. I would have to reserve judgement until we saw him on the field. If this regime thinks he can be a starting receiver in this league, so be it. We'll see what happens, but to start I won't be happy about it and I think most Jets fans will be pissed as well.

You wouldn't hate it now, but plenty of people would. The question is, how will we feel about it in five years?

This is exactly what the homers said to me when we traded for JMac and I was having a conniption :D

This is exactly what the homers said to me when we traded for JMac and I was having a conniption :D

I understand your point, but it has no bearing on this situation.

It really depends on what the team sees in him. How does he look on film? How are his hands? How is his route running? Does he have an injury history? Scouts get paid to evaluate these things, and as regular fans we have no way of knowing by looking at a couple of highlights or a stat sheet.

The Jets' search for a playmaking wide receiver has them taking a look at a homegrown talent.

Dallas Cowboys restricted free agent wide out Miles Austin, a New Jersey native and Monmouth University product, is scheduled to visit the Jets late this week, according to a report in the Dallas Morning News.

Austin, 6-foot-3, 216 pounds, caught 13 passes for 278 yards (21.4-yard average) and three touchdowns last season. A special teams standout, he averaged 21.5 yards on 29 kickoff returns. He missed four games with a knee injury.

Austin, 24, signed a one-year, $1.545 million tender offer with Dallas that would require a team to give up a second-round pick as compensation to the Cowboys if they didn't match an offer sheet. The restricted free agent period ends on April 17th. The Jets' second-round pick is the 52nd overall.

Austin, who attended Garfield High School, has the size, speed and big-play potential the Jets are looking for at wide receiver. Last season, he had two catches for 115 yards and a touchdown vs. the Packers. He signed with the Cowboys as a rookie free agent in 2006 after finishing his career at Monmouth as the school's all-time leader in touchdown receptions (33), receptions (150) and yards (2,867).

By bringing in Miles for a visit, the Jets must feel that he's better than any receiver they could draft in their first-round pick (17th overall).

This is a late April Fool's joke, right?

This is a late April Fool's joke, right?

Aside from the fact that April turns every armchair scout's fancy into thoughts of lancemehl, I really don't understand the negative reaction to Austin - dude is a wide receiver in Brad Smith's body, and that has to be worth something.

Aside from the fact that April turns every armchair scout's fancy into thoughts of lancemehl, I really don't understand the negative reaction to Austin - dude is a wide receiver in Brad Smith's body, and that has to be worth something.

He hasn't done a single thing in the NFL. Not a thing. 18 career receptions.

He isn't worth a 2nd round pick.

Not a 2nd rounder for a guy with 18 catches in three years.

Archived