WR Miles Austin: MERGED

SoFlaJets

He hasn't done a single thing in the NFL. Not a thing. 18 career receptions.

He isn't worth a 2nd round pick.

That's it for me in a nutshell. It's an equal crapshoot with him and a 2nd round WR for me, but at least the draft pick is younger and can be coached. Austin has already been coached and showed no more than flashes. He has to be coached over again.

In other words, Austin is merely an older prospect who has to be coached to forget what he learned in Dallas and coached to the likely of the Jets staff. All bad habbits he picked up in Dallas have to be forgotten.

BTW, the 2nd rounder would have been worth it if McCrappins could actually catch. If he could catch he would have been an elite WR IMO. He had excellent size/speed ratio and knew how to run routes. The problem was he couldn't catch.

FWIW, since Craphands keeps coming up in this conversation....when we traded for him...he was coming of a year where he caught 47 passes for 813 yrds, 17.3 per catch and 7 TD's.

Slight difference in Austin's 18 catches in 3 years.

He hasn't done a single thing in the NFL. Not a thing. 18 career receptions.

He isn't worth a 2nd round pick.

Every player in the draft, including our future 2nd round pick, hasn't done a single thing in the NFL.

Austin has been pushed into the background by players like TO, Williams, Crayton, Whitten, and Barber. He hasn't been given a legitimate shot in a starter's role, so it's tough to harp on such a young player's lack of production.

Good GM's give out contracts and draft pick compensation based on what a player WILL give them in the future, not on what he has done in the past.

If we bring in Austin for a workout, scout his film, and end up giving him a better grade than any of the prospects in this year's draft, then why not give up a 2nd rounder for him? It's a huge position of need, and it certainly appears like we are gearing toward using one of our first day picks on a WR anyway.

Every player in the draft, including our future 2nd round pick, hasn't done a single thing in the NFL.

Austin has been pushed into the background by players like TO, Williams, Crayton, Whitten, and Barber. He hasn't been given a legitimate shot in a starter's role, so it's tough to harp on such a young player's lack of production.

Good GM's give out contracts and draft pick compensation based on what a player WILL give them in the future, not on what he has done in the past.

If we bring in Austin for a workout, scout his film, and end up giving him a better grade than any of the prospects in this year's draft, then why not give up a 2nd rounder for him? It's a huge position of need, and it certainly appears like we are gearing toward using one of our first day picks on a WR anyway.

Exactly. Austin was a developmental project buried on the depth chart behind a bunch of targets clamoring for touches not only with their talent but also by campaigning in the clubhouse and the press. If he'd managed the production that people are deeming without context to be 'worth' a second round pick, he wouldn't even be available.

I totally reject this argument for the WR position.

If this kid was any good, he would have either put himself in a position where the Cowboys had to play him or they had to resign him without any risk of losing him to another team.

I understand your point, but it has no bearing on this situation.

It really depends on what the team sees in him. How does he look on film? How are his hands? How is his route running? Does he have an injury history? Scouts get paid to evaluate these things, and as regular fans we have no way of knowing by looking at a couple of highlights or a stat sheet.

The same guys who drafted Brad Smith? What the f do they know about bringing in a good WR?

Edited by T0mShane

If this kid was any good, he would have either put himself in a position where the Cowboys had to play him or they had to resign him without any risk of losing him to another team.

No doubt. It's not like Patrick Crayton is Marvin Harrison. If Austin could play, he'd have been playing.

You are completely disregarding the politics involved inside of the locker room. Dallas has a relatively large number of established veteran play makers, some of which have a big mouth to go along with it.

There could be salary cap reasons why Austin was not signed to a long term deal.

Instead of questioning why a team would give up a 2nd round pick for a player with 18 career receptions, you could ask why would a team tender such a low production player at such a high level. Everything I have read about Austin says that the team is very high on him, and the fans hold him in high regard as well.

Going by your standards, I take it that you thought Cotchery was a complete waste of roster space and not a worthy NFL player before Mangini gave him a chance. He didn't exactly do much in his first couple of years here.

You are completely disregarding the politics involved inside of the locker room. Dallas has a relatively large number of established veteran play makers, some of which have a big mouth to go along with it.

There could be salary cap reasons why Austin was not signed to a long term deal.

Instead of questioning why a team would give up a 2nd round pick for a player with 18 career receptions, you could ask why would a team tender such a low production player at such a high level. Everything I have read about Austin says that the team is very high on him, and the fans hold him in high regard as well.

Going by your standards, I take it that you thought Cotchery was a complete waste of roster space and not a worthy NFL player before Mangini gave him a chance. He didn't exactly do much in his first couple of years here.

Most teams would give their primary kick returner the second-round tender.

FWIW, since Craphands keeps coming up in this conversation....when we traded for him...he was coming of a year where he caught 47 passes for 813 yrds, 17.3 per catch and 7 TD's.

Slight difference in Austin's 18 catches in 3 years.

Agreed. A better comparison would be Matthew Hatchette - great size and was only being held back because he was playing behind Cris Carter and Randy Moss.

I'm embarrassed thinking back about how much I talked up his acquisition. :face:

Most teams would give their primary kick returner the second-round tender.

Fair enough.

I don't want to seem like I am advocating this as a must for the team and a slam dunk deal. What I am trying to understand is why Austin is being written off by so many people. To me, he looks like a player with a ton of upside who hasn't been given enough time or been in the right situation to shine.

Agreed. A better comparison would be Matthew Hatchette - great size and was only being held back because he was playing behind Cris Carter and Randy Moss.

I'm embarrassed thinking back about how much I talked up his acquisition. :face:

Oh god, why did you just do that? :bag:

Fair enough.

I don't want to seem like I am advocating this as a must for the team and a slam dunk deal. What I am trying to understand is why Austin is being written off by so many people. To me, he looks like a player with a ton of upside who hasn't been given enough time or been in the right situation to shine.

This is the issue. People are saying that he looks like a player with "a ton of upside". Where are you getting this from? Have you been sitting in on the Cowboys' practices for the last 3 years? Because there is no way that with 18 catches in his career, this player has given you enough evidence to say that he could shine in the right situation. Like I said before, with all the weapons on that offense, I am pretty sure that I could go out there and get free a couple of times...lol.

The 2nd round thingy is the other reason.

I concede.:face:

Still, I don't think we should be so negative towards the possibility of Austin. A 2nd rounder would be an awful lot to give up but if the Coaching Staff and Front Office see something they really like (Remember, it's a lot easier to judge talent on someone who's playing in the NFL than it is for college players) then I can understand.

I'm not rooting for this trade to happen BTW, I just wouldn't be jumping bridges if it did. I'd give the guy a chance to prove himself first.

we already saw this movie played out in 2004 IJ...here were the stats of another up and coming young WR who had set an NFL record with the highest % of his catches going for 1st downs-40 of his 47 receptions moved the chains, that guy's name? Justin McCairens

2003 Titans 16 Gms. 47 rec. 813 yds. 17.3 YPC. 7 TDs and as I said 40 catches that went for 1st downs

If you had a point, 'any good' would have rendered it senselessly vague. Good is relative. Boldin is a 2 in Arizona but a 1 here.

This is the issue. People are saying that he looks like a player with "a ton of upside". Where are you getting this from? Have you been sitting in on the Cowboys' practices for the last 3 years? Because there is no way that with 18 catches in his career, this player has given you enough evidence to say that he could shine in the right situation. Like I said before, with all the weapons on that offense, I am pretty sure that I could go out there and get free a couple of times...lol.

The 2nd round thingy is the other reason.

Here's how this is supposed to go. You cite lack of production. Other side points to lack of opportunity. You come back with something. Still waiting.

If you had a point, 'any good' would have rendered it senselessly vague. Good is relative. Boldin is a 2 in Arizona but a 1 here.

Great logic, "because we don't have any big-time receivers, another team's '2' becomes our '1' and another team's '4' becomes our '2'"

we already saw this movie played out in 2004 IJ...here were the stats of another up and coming young WR who had set an NFL record with the highest % of his catches going for 1st downs-40 of his 47 receptions moved the chains, that guy's name? Justin McCairens

2003 Titans 16 Gms. 47 rec. 813 yds. 17.3 YPC. 7 TDs and as I said 40 catches that went for 1st downs

I don't understand why you guys think that pointing out that production doesn't tell the whole story helps your argument.

Great logic, "because we don't have any big-time receivers, another team's '2' becomes our '1' and another team's '4' becomes our '2'"

Reading Fitzgerald > Boldin > Cotchery to mean the above is exactly the opposite of what relative means.

fats obviously doesn't get it JiF...it's not if we think that Mike T will do it or not, it's that so many friggin Jets fans around the boards are so quick to say "HELL YEA MAN here's our 2nd rounder!!!" for a guy who has caught all of 18 passes in his career...

There have been a lot of people not reading threads and then commenting on something from out in left field-has anyone else noticed that happening more and more lately?

Only two people had given a maybe to this

by the time I posted. Are you saying

jetnation.com isn't the only Jets board

on the internet? Cause then I'll say it.

I don't believe you.

Only two people had given a maybe to this

by the time I posted. Are you saying

jetnation.com isn't the only Jets board

on the internet? Cause then I'll say it.

I don't believe you.

yea it was slow last night fatz, so I went over to JI and TGG to talk about the same subject and I gotta tell you man-I was shocked, shocked I tell ya as to how many Jets fans were OK with just giving up our 2nd round DP for a guy with 18 career receptions on his resume

That is weak, weak spin. Boldin is the number one receiver on all but two or three teams in the league.

The only reason he is a two on the Cardinals is because Fitzgerald is a freak.

That is weak, weak spin. Boldin is the number one receiver on all but two or three teams in the league.

What?

New England

Buffalo

Indianapolis

Houston

Arizona

Carolina

Anquan is the #2 in all those places.

What?

New England

Buffalo

Indianapolis

Houston

Arizona

Carolina

Anquan is the #2 in all those places.

He would be the number one in Indy right now by a wide margin. Harrison is gone and Reggie Wayne is not nearly as good as Boldin.

He'd also be number one in Buffalo. He is seven years younger than Owens and had more catches, yards and TDs than TO last year despite playing in 5 fewer games.

He had more catches and TDs than Steve Smith last year despite playing in three fewer games. Plus he's a much bigger target than Smith so he's more attractive. They'd be 1A and 1B. Oh, and his career numbers are almost identical to Smith's in catches (509 for Smith, 502 for Boldin) and TDs (43 for Smith, 40 for Boldin) even though he's a year younger and been in the league two fewer seasons (105 games for Smith, 80 for Boldin.)

So that leaves Randy Moss in NE, Andre Johnson in Houston and Fitzgerald in Arizona.

Steve Smith is A LOT better than Anquan Boldin, T.O. and Boldin are close, and Reggie Wayne is a lot better than Anquan Boldin. Boldin has had the availability to have a true #1 WR next to him for the majority of his career, helping draw the double and triple teams away from him, something Steve Smith ALWAYS has on him, same with T.O. and Wayne (most recently).

Steve Smith is A LOT better than Anquan Boldin, T.O. and Boldin are close, and Reggie Wayne is a lot better than Anquan Boldin. Boldin has had the availability to have a true #1 WR next to him for the majority of his career, helping draw the double and triple teams away from him, something Steve Smith ALWAYS has on him, same with T.O. and Wayne (most recently).

Not for nothin', but Reggie Wayne was number two to one of the greatest receivers of all time for the majority of his career.

Oh, and Boldin caught 101 passes as a rookie without Fitzgerald on the roster and some POS throwing passes to him and NOT Payton Manning.

Boldin is significantly better than Reggie Wayne.

As far as Smith is concerned, he is more talented than Boldin but despite being the number one guy, he has not been significantly more productive. In fact, Boldin's three fewer TDs in 25 fewer games clearly back that up.