WR Miles Austin: MERGED

SoFlaJets

it's funny I don't remember articles written by Titans beat writers about wanting to keep Justin McCareins.

Miles Austin would be a better player for the 2009 NYJ than almost any WR in this draft, let alone what they could get at 52 overall. WR is NOT a plug-and-play position in the league, most of the time.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's funny I don't remember articles written by Titans beat writers about wanting to keep Justin McCareins.

Miles Austin would be a better player for the 2009 NYJ than almost any WR in this draft, let alone what they could get at 52 overall. WR is NOT a plug-and-play position in the league, most of the time.

The ideal situation would be to get Austin AND another WR from the draft to develop. That likely won't happen if we lose out 2nd round pick.

That said, if they do this, it probably means that they liked the QB/RB/DL prospects they've seen better than the WRs...

The ideal situation would be to get Austin AND another WR from the draft to develop. That likely won't happen if we lose out 2nd round pick.

That said, if they do this, it probably means that they liked the QB/RB/DL prospects they've seen better than the WRs...

We already have enough young WR's on the roster to develop. If we trade for Austin, we arn't drafting a receiver on Day 1 and I'd be shocked to see one on Day 2 either.

Jerricho Cotchery

Miles Austin

David Clowney

Chansi Stuckey

Brad Smith

Wallace Wright

Marcus Henry

Paul Raymond

Huey Whittaker

We already have enough young WR's on the roster to develop. If we trade for Austin, we arn't drafting a receiver on Day 1 and I'd be shocked to see one on Day 2 either.

Jerricho Cotchery

Miles Austin

David Clowney

Chansi Stuckey

Brad Smith

Wallace Wright

I'd be willing to trade our 3rd rounder for Austin. I would still draft a WR in the later rounds .

I'd be willing to trade our 3rd rounder for Austin. I would still draft a WR in the later rounds .

We are in need of one WR. A starter.

We have some solid young players who can fill out the 3, 4 and 5 slots, as well as Dustin Keller running off the line and coming out of the slot. Chansi Stuckey is ideal for the slot, Clowney has the speed to beat you deep and then you have Brad Smith, Marcus Henry and Paul Raymond competing for the 5th spot, Wallace Wright will be the "6" but he'll only be playing Special Teams.

We are in need of one WR. A starter.

We have some solid young players who can fill out the 3, 4 and 5 slots, as well as Dustin Keller running off the line and coming out of the slot. Chansi Stuckey is ideal for the slot, Clowney has the speed to beat you deep and then you have Brad Smith, Marcus Henry and Paul Raymond competing for the 5th spot, Wallace Wright will be the "6" but he'll only be playing Special Teams.

I have no faith in Brad Smith. He does NOTHING for me. It's time to end this experiment and jettison him. Hell, throw him to Dallas in a deal for Austin.

Jerricho Cotchery

Miles Austin

David Clowney

Chansi Stuckey

Brad Smith

Wallace Wright

Marcus Henry

Paul Raymond

Huey Whittaker

I must have missed Whittaker. Where did we get him from?

I have no faith in Brad Smith. He does NOTHING for me. It's time to end this experiment and jettison him. Hell, throw him to Dallas in a deal for Austin.

I'm down with that.

Package Brad Smith and Eric Smith with a 6th rounder for Austin and I'd do that in a second. :Typotux:

Too bad Dallas isn't that stupid.

Or are they?

Sadly Joe, I don't think they are. :biggrin:

This is the same organization who gave Terell Owens a $30+ million deal only to release him the following season. As well as traded a draft pick for Pacman Jones.

I put nothing past the Dallas organizaton and Jerry Jones. :)

I've never seen so much love for a guy with 18 career receptions.

He is nasty when on the field he won their game against the packers last season.... he gets open and has sick speed and moves... he is tall... has great hands good size... yeah why so much love for a 3rd year WR... you know when most of them start to make a name for themselves...

He is nasty when on the field he won their game against the packers last season.... he gets open and has sick speed and moves... he is tall... has great hands good size... yeah why so much love for a 3rd year WR... you know when most of them start to make a name for themselves...

That 3rd year rule isn't a legit reason to sign someone.

I'm not even sure why its so accepted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k83rdyrWR

There's more out there. Saying most WR's make a name

for themselves in the 3rd year is way too much of a

blanket statement. How many 3rd year breakouts had

18 receptions at the time of their career year?

Fair Enough. Maybe its the thought of the 2nd round pick that has me bugging out. Its awful risky. There arent too many cases of receivers blowing up 4yrs deep after being traded when he's had no production whatsoever to speak of prior to the trade.

To me its not worth it and 2nd or a 3d for that matter. I understand that we are just talking and it can be negotiated, but people are jumping all over this like its a sure shot when its more likely to be a delusion of grandeur.

There are some, but then most WR's who are producing by year 3+ don't get traded in general. I can only think of a few in the last 10-ish years: Joe Horn, Patrick Jeffers (shame about his injury), and Antonio Bryant. Derrick Mayes had one 10-TD season after he went from GB to Seattle but was garbage the following season & then was out of the league the year after that.

Usually if the team that drafted them lets them go you end up with Billy McMullen & Matthew Hatchette types.

Is it ok to say I'm in favor of it only if it works out in hindsight? That's really how I feel. Until he's shown to work out I'm against it for a 2nd rounder. A 4th rounder? Sure, why not, if they really like him.

If you take a look at comments from Cowboys fans, most would rather keep Austin than take our 2nd round pick. I've seen several references to Austin being this year's Roddy White.

Obviously it's not the end all be all, but the fans seem to love this guy and think he has a very bright future.

That 3rd year rule isn't a legit reason to sign someone.

I'm not even sure why its so accepted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k83rdyrWR

There's more out there. Saying most WR's make a name

for themselves in the 3rd year is way too much of a

blanket statement. How many 3rd year breakouts had

18 receptions at the time of their career year?

I don't think that's what he was saying.

Chad Johnson

Chris Chambers

Antonio Bryant

Dieon Branch

Anquan Boldin

Reggie Brown

Vincent Jackson

Chad Jackson :rl:

Greg Jennings

Sidney Rice

Donnie Avery

DeSean Jackson

Eddie Royal

I really think taking a wideout in the 1st round will be a mistake. This years draft is deep in terms of wideouts. We can get a good one in the 2nd round. We need depth, and I think taking the BPA with the #17 is the right choice, even if it's a QB.

You can always cherry pick the good ones but how about the bad ones as well...

-Quincy Morgan

-Robert Ferguson

-Jabar Gaffney

- Josh Reed

-Reche Caldwell

-Taylor Jacobs

-Bethel Johnson

- Tyrone Calico

-Darius Watts

- Keary Colbert

-Mark Bradley

-Terrence Murphy

-Chad Jackson

-Dwayne Jarrett

I am all for BPA, however, if WR is BPA, you go WR. You don't bank on getting a WR in the second round just because there have been sucesses in selecting one in that round.

You can always cherry pick the good ones but how about the bad ones as well...

-Quincy Morgan

-Robert Ferguson

-Jabar Gaffney

- Josh Reed

-Reche Caldwell

-Taylor Jacobs

-Bethel Johnson

- Tyrone Calico

-Darius Watts

- Keary Colbert

-Mark Bradley

-Terrence Murphy

-Chad Jackson

-Dwayne Jarrett

I am all for BPA, however, if WR is BPA, you go WR. You don't bank on getting a WR in the second round just because there have been sucesses in selecting one in that round.

Well that's to every position, don't ya think?

Isn't the risk the same tho? Taking a player in the 1st and 2nd round? There has been major busts and dissapointments in the 1st rounds. I think taking the BPA with the #17 and then a WR in the 2nd would be a great idea.

Someone will fall.

Maybe Harvin, Heyward Bey, Nicks or Britt (Who I really, REALLY do not like).

Teams have generally strayed away from taking WR's in the first round, I doubt there will be more than 3 or 4 taken.

They took six in '07. There were no WRs in the 1st last year, but ten went in the 2nd-3 of the first 5 picks. I'm sure somebody people here are touting for #17 will drop, but I don't think they will necessarily drop to our pick and it depends on what they are looking for. A guy like Ramses Barden is interesting, but not too polished, a home run hitter like Heyward Bey or just a quality guy like Robiskie. You may get a guy like that later on, but you will not get your choice.

Well that's to every position, don't ya think?

Isn't the risk the same tho? Taking a player in the 1st and 2nd round? There has been major busts and dissapointments in the 1st rounds. I think taking the BPA with the #17 and then a WR in the 2nd would be a great idea.

Like every position has good players coming from the second round? This thread and your life...fail.

Archived