WR Miles Austin: MERGED

SoFlaJets

If you take a look at comments from Cowboys fans, most would rather keep Austin than take our 2nd round pick. I've seen several references to Austin being this year's Roddy White.

Obviously it's not the end all be all, but the fans seem to love this guy and think he has a very bright future.

It's one thing to have a breakout year when you replace Michael Vick with Matt Ryan, it is a whole other thing to fail with Tony Romo with Tony Romo still being the QB. I thought Patrick Crayton was the #2 now anyway.

We already have enough young WR's on the roster to develop. If we trade for Austin, we arn't drafting a receiver on Day 1 and I'd be shocked to see one on Day 2 either.

Jerricho Cotchery

Miles Austin

David Clowney

Chansi Stuckey

Brad Smith

Wallace Wright

Marcus Henry

Paul Raymond

Huey Whittaker

I disagree. He's not "#1" material, and I doubt tanny sees him as a replacement for coles

how about this group ?

DHB/Harvin

Jerricho Cotchery

Miles Austin

Brad Smith

Wallace Wright

smith and wright make the team on specials (100% guaranteed)

clowney and stuckey fight it out for the last spot

I disagree. He's not "#1" material, and I doubt tanny sees him as a replacement for coles

how about this group ?

DHB/Harvin

Jerricho Cotchery

Miles Austin

Brad Smith

Wallace Wright

smith and wright make the team on specials (100% guaranteed)

clowney and stuckey fight it out for the last spot

Somehow you think one of those rookies (who almost always take 3 years to come along) would step in at #1 though???

Good one! :roll:

I doubt the JETS would give up a 2nd for him... but who knows...

Wes Welker was a 2nd round tender...

It will take a 2nd to get him. By all accounts, Jones likes the guy alot - so the only way we get him is by signing him to a highly front loaded contract that Dallas can't match.

I'm up the middle on this. A 2nd seems quite high, especially considering Ocho Cinco could be had for that price. But Austin is young and shown flashes of explosiveness. Another thing that a lot of people are discounting is that he has been developing for 3 years which is what it takes for most rookies. He just hasn't been given a chance with the players ahead of him.

A lot of us here (myself included) didn't want to give up a 2nd for Turner a couple of years ago because he was never a starter. That looks stupid now.

I guess if the FO really likes him, then go for it. But I also hope they give Clowney his chance.

If they sign him to an offer sheet, and Dallas doesn't match, that's what they have to give up, no? I don't understand where people think the Jets might get away with getting him for less. Especially if Dallas thinks highly of the player. Why would they make it easier for another team to take him?

What were the other circumstances around Welker? Had he signed his tender? Maybe that was the difference there.

If they sign him to an offer sheet, they are giving up a 2nd round pick.

And what the hell do Wes Welker and Miles Austin have in common?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except Welker being dealt for a 2nd and a 7th.

If they sign him to an offer sheet, and Dallas doesn't match, that's what they have to give up, no? I don't understand where people think the Jets might get away with getting him for less. Especially if Dallas thinks highly of the player. Why would they make it easier for another team to take him?

What were the other circumstances around Welker? Had he signed his tender? Maybe that was the difference there.

Yes unless Dallas says something like "Hell we know ya'll be needin a WR, shoot just give us a 3rd and we're all good. " There's nothing in it for Dallas to take less than the 2nd. ::GoJets:

If they sign him to an offer sheet, they are giving up a 2nd round pick.

And what the hell do Wes Welker and Miles Austin have in common?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except Welker being dealt for a 2nd and a 7th.

Wes Welker had 687 yards in 16 games played...(43 yards per game) in his 3rd year... before he was traded... 10YPC and only 1 TD... (he was thrown to in every single game)

Miles Austin had 278 yards in 7 games played... (40 yards per game) in his 3rd year... 21YPC and 3 TDs... (you cannot go by his stats alone... he played ST and was nto always on the field for the O)

Two diffferent WR's but it just shwos the value of a good up and coming WR who you dont have to wait around for a few years first to blossom...

A 2nd is to much for him. I read some Cowboys fans loving this if it happened, not a good sign. I also read he has questionable hands, another bad sign. Combine that with the fact that he hasn't done much and I don't see the point. Hopefully Jones likes him as much as they say so he'll match the offer.

Why does it not shock me that you, ECURB, are one of about six people in the world who would support giving up a 2nd round pick for Miles Austin?

What would you prefer doing to solve the WR problem?

Tell me what young WR for less compensation can step in the role Austin could.

Demetrius Byrd

Height: 6-01/4 | Weight: 199 | 40-Time: 4.42

Strengths:

Smooth athlete...Terrific size and bulk...Very good speed...Real quick with a burst...Gets good separation...A great leaper...Excellent ball skills...Soft hands...Will work the middle of the field...Can avoid the jam...Shows the ability to get deep and be a vertical threat...Big upside.

Weaknesses:

Not a great route runner...Will drop some catchable balls...Has lapses in concentration...Not very tough or physical...Doesn't do a whole lot after the catch...Marginal blocker...Limited experience and was never a featured target...Intelligence may be an issue...Average production

Projected mid-rounder...and he's not the only solid receiver in the draft. This draft is the year of the WR.

Why can't we draft a receiver with our 1st or 2nd round selection? This years WR class is DEEP and to sign Austin away from Dallas it is GOING to be exactly like the McCareins deal. I believe that was 7 years, $28 million.

Austin is still a project after 3 years in the league and his potential as a top receiver is questionable considering he's still below average with his route running and has inconsistant hands. Signing him would be like drafting someone I guess, so I can see the logic to a degree. However, since he's had time to show more, and hasn't, I wouldn't pay that price.

Demetrius Byrd

Height: 6-01/4 | Weight: 199 | 40-Time: 4.42

Strengths:

Smooth athlete...Terrific size and bulk...Very good speed...Real quick with a burst...Gets good separation...A great leaper...Excellent ball skills...Soft hands...Will work the middle of the field...Can avoid the jam...Shows the ability to get deep and be a vertical threat...Big upside.

Weaknesses:

Not a great route runner...Will drop some catchable balls...Has lapses in concentration...Not very tough or physical...Doesn't do a whole lot after the catch...Marginal blocker...Limited experience and was never a featured target...Intelligence may be an issue...Average production

Projected mid-rounder...and he's not the only solid receiver in the draft. This draft is the year of the WR.

Excellent pick. He's one of my second day sleepers...along with Quan Cosby.

Well that's to every position, don't ya think?

Isn't the risk the same tho? Taking a player in the 1st and 2nd round? There has been major busts and dissapointments in the 1st rounds. I think taking the BPA with the #17 and then a WR in the 2nd would be a great idea.

If it's true for every position, then what is the point of this post, exactly?

Do you think a GM is sitting there going, "Gee, well I just saw this list that indicates that the risk on first round receivers and second round receivers is just about the same so instead of taking the guy I really want, I'm going to pass on him, use my first rounder on some other guy at another position that has an equal chance to flop and wait to see which receivers are left in the second round aaaaand since it's all the same - anyone will dooooo!! I'M AN F-ING GENIUS!"

That's like a guy looking at the divorce rate and going, "Sh-t, since the chance of any marriage lasting is about 50/50, I think I'll pass on Mary, use the wedding money to buy a Porsche and wait til the next available girl comes along when I'm ready to settle down again. I'm sure the next one will be just as good. And here's the beautiful part... I'll probably still have the Porsche."

Edited by Gastineau Lives
  • Upvote 1

Miles Austin is not worth a 2nd rounder. 3rd, yes.

He's worth a 6th rounder.

18 career receptions.

How does that warrant anything but a 6th at the best? Because he's 6'3?

I've had enough with this Miles Austin horse****.

Say hello to the next Matthew Hatchette/Justin McCareins of the New York Jets.

:shock: I thought you were kidding. :face:

Unless they allow us to use thirteen or fourteen defenders, I think the defense is in good shape. Let's score some points, what do you say? You like points, don't you? Points are good!

I swear to God I get the feeling that some people think that there is a Best Defense in the History of Football trophy... and they want the Jets to win it more than a Super Bowl. It's like some subliminal macho thing. They think they're going to see a High-Def sh-t stain in Tom Brady's pants and would rather see that than the king of all p-ss stains in Joe Namath's bed after he gets absolutely hammered when the Jets finally squeeze in another Super Bowl victory before his liver inevitably quits and he goes off to that big Suzy Kolber Vagina in the Sky (into which he will toss his final interception for all eternity)

Edited by Gastineau Lives

He's worth a 6th rounder.

18 career receptions.

How does that warrant anything but a 6th at the best? Because he's 6'3?

I've had enough with this Miles Austin horse****.

Say hello to the next Matthew Hatchette/Justin McCareins of the New York Jets.

Agreed to the max. WR is a need yes but Miles Austin, Seriously? Anybody whose excited about Miles Austin to sign with the Jets is nuts. By what standard is he a good player? On a team with T.O and Witten drawing double team looks, and the likes of Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin getting man-to-man and he ONLY garnered 13 receptions, how the hell can you be excited? He's done nothing to prove being a 2nd or hell even a 3rd rounder.

I would rather see us make use of Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison for a year or two, and draft somebody with that second rounder so we can groom him into our #1 and solidify Cotchery as our #2.

• Upvote 1

I would rather see us make use of Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison for a year or two, and draft somebody with that second rounder so we can groom him into our #1 and solidify Cotchery as our #2.

If we can spend all this $$$ on PROVEN veteran defensive players, why the hell are we scraping the bottom of the barrel for UNPROVEN offensive players? In case Rex Ryan & Company forgot, you need some kind of offense to win games. You need Wide Receivers. Jerricho Cotchery is not Randy Moss. I just love how we can spend unlimited amounts on Bart Scott, Lito Sheppard, Jim Leonhard, etc, yet we are going to address our WR need with Miles ****ing Austin? Seriously?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/jets-gm-has-history-with-poison-pill.html

Jets GM has history with poison pill

5:49 PM Wed, Apr 08, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Tim MacMahon

All indications are that the Cowboys want to keep Miles Austin. The Jets, however, could make that extremely difficult to do by inserting a "poison pill" provision into their contract offer to Austin.

That's a fairly common NFL practice with restricted free agents. For example, the Jets could offer Austin a long-term deal that would become totally guaranteed if he plays more than five games any season in the state of Texas. (See Nate Burleson's contract offer from the Seahawks in 2006.)

Dirty pool? Perhaps, but Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum definitely isn't above using such tactics.

From Dave Hutchinson of the New Jersey Star-Ledger:

In fact, it was Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum who is regarded in many circles as the man who fathered the idea. In 1998, Tannenbaum, then a little-know salary cap whiz, put together a brilliant six-year, $36-million offer sheet to then-Patriots running back Curtis Martin that included a "poison pill" that forced the Patriots to let him go.

That clause was a provision in which Martin could become an unrestricted free agent the following season if the Patriots matched the offer, allowing him to leave New England without the Patriots receiving a dime. Also, the deal included a $3.3 million roster bonus that would've wrecked the Patriots' salary cap.

New England let Martin go and he went on to become the most prolific running back in Jets' history.

Midget: Harrison doesn't really improve the WR corps anymore. he's a #2 receiver at best now, and well, we have one of those.

If we were going to trade for Ochocinco, then I would say that was a reasonable idea, but won't he cost us about the same? Ochocinco has less 'upside' than Miles Austin.

Drafting a WR puts us in the precarious position of being forced to find DeSean Jackson in this draft. VERY FEW WR's make an impact in their first year in the NFL, doesn't mean we can't put the kid on the field, but you can't rely on a rookie to be your #1.

While I think a 2nd Rounder is a lot to give up for the kid, I don't think he's bound to fail.

BTW, if we sign him, I'm going to be the first person to buy a Miles Austin jersey. SRSLY.

I don't know. Ecurb will give you a run for your $.

The only part of a Miles Austin jersey that would attract me is that he's a Jersey Boy.

But then again, so are Knowshon Moreno, Brian Cushing and B.J. Raji.

Wes Welker had 687 yards in 16 games played...(43 yards per game) in his 3rd year... before he was traded... 10YPC and only 1 TD... (he was thrown to in every single game)

Miles Austin had 278 yards in 7 games played... (40 yards per game) in his 3rd year... 21YPC and 3 TDs... (you cannot go by his stats alone... he played ST and was nto always on the field for the O)

Two diffferent WR's but it just shwos the value of a good up and coming WR who you dont have to wait around for a few years first to blossom...

So I think what you're saying here is that there is absolutely no comparison. Correct? :rl:

• Upvote 1