2009 NFL Draft Player/Team Interest Rumor Mill - April 10

Jetscode1

Draftguys had a nice summary of all the players the JETS have shown interest in. Thought I'd pass it on.

by Andrew Garda on 04/09/09

Another week has gone by and another group of players have begun visiting teams. As always, some of these updates are rumors, some are confirmed and some of these visits will ultimately not lead to anything. But every detail is important as we close in on Draft Day and all of it is accumulating here.

New York Jets

Offense

QB

With all the Cornerbacks we have if we waste a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on a Cornerback I will scream.

There's one WR on that list, and 11 LB's and CB's. I smell diversion tactics.

It's not a diversion tactic. The list is just incomplete. They all are. Every team talks to a hundred players every draft season. Trying to keep track of all of them is ridiculous. We've brought in at least half a dozen receivers including Harvin, Britt, etc.

I still wonder what would have happened if Darren McFadden and Vernon Gholston were on the board at #6 last year. All the DMC love REEKED of smoke-screen to me. That's Tannenbaum for ya, a real card-shark. :rolleyes:

I still wonder what would have happened if Darren McFadden and Vernon Gholston were on the board at #6 last year. All the DMC love REEKED of smoke-screen to me. That's Tannenbaum for ya, a real card-shark. :rolleyes:

I'm not that upset we dont have McFadden, anyway.

Although Gholston sucks. A lot.

Although Gholston sucks. A lot.

i still believe in VG. it took Mike Vrabel 7 years before he was a great 3-4 OLB.

several names I think the Jets are most interested in...

QB – Mark Sanchez (USC)

QB – Josh Freeman (Kansas State)

RB – Knowshon Moreno (Georgia)

RB – Rashad Jennings (Liberty)

RB – Donald Brown (UCONN)

TE – Brandon Pettigrew (Oklahoma State)

DE – Connor Barwin(Cincinnati)

LB – Scott McKillop (Pitt)

CB – Darius Butler (UCONN)

i still believe in VG. it took Mike Vrabel 7 years before he was a great 3-4 OLB.

QB – Mark Sanchez (USC)

I'm not ready to give up on VG yet either, but you keep saying that crap about Vrabel like it's a good thing. What the hell good is it to us if VG breaks out AFTER his rookie contract?

what do you think of freeman ? I'm starting to think he is on the jets radar as well

QB – Mark Sanchez (USC)

No Beanie Wells? WR's?

I presume you're just taking names from the list.

what do you think of freeman ? I'm starting to think he is on the jets radar as well

I think it's a smoke screen, they are interested but will pass if he's there, JMO. Also he might not be there. In the end I don't know that another rookie QB solves the Jets inexperience problem at QB.

No Beanie Wells? WR's?

I presume you're just taking names from the list.

yes just from the list

also keep in mind these players are probably on the NE and MIA short lists as well... the Jets are scouting these players partly because if they don't draft them, chances are good they will have to prepare for them in the regular season more than once.

QB – Mark Sanchez (USC)

If Josh Freeman is on the board at 17, I think we have to take him. He reminds me of a young Culpepper.

If Josh Freeman is on the board at 17, I think we have to take him. He reminds me of a young Culpepper.

So he'd be great if we had a young Randy Moss on the roster, but otherwise not so much?

Does this mean we can look forward to some badly-thrown INTs by Freeman as a Detriot Lion QB ruining Thanksgiving dinner for Americans foolish enough to bet on the Lions?

Does this mean we can look forward to some badly-thrown INTs by Freeman as a Detriot Lion QB ruining Thanksgiving dinner for Americans foolish enough to bet on the Lions?

That would be an old Daunte Culpepper. Or an Eric Hipple.

Not to deify him, but if Rex Ryan can't get Gholston to be a productive player within the next couple seasons who can? I don't even care that much if he's one dimensional as long as that dimension is as a pass rusher.

Exactly.

One of the main problems I feel with Gholston was that Mangini was asking and expecting too much of him. He made things more complex for him than he should have IMO. Gholston knew one things coming out of college, getting to the QB. That's what Mangini should have been focusing on with him last season, that's what he was drafted to do - Rush the passer, Not drop into coverage.

I think Ryan will make the most of his talent and we'll know within the next year or two whether Gholson can actually play or not. There's a huge possibility that I'm putting far too much blame on Mangini and that Vernon is a flat out bust but I still have faith that he'll come good under Ryan.

Exactly.

One of the main problems I feel with Gholston was that Mangini was asking and expecting too much of him. He made things more complex for him than he should have IMO. Gholston knew one things coming out of college, getting to the QB. That's what Mangini should have been focusing on with him last season, that's what he was drafted to do - Rush the passer, Not drop into coverage.

I think Ryan will make the most of his talent and we'll know within the next year or two whether Gholson can actually play or not. There's a huge possibility that I'm putting far too much blame on Mangini and that Vernon is a flat out bust but I still have faith that he'll come good under Ryan.

I hear ya. I am scared ****less of it...he is the one guy last year that I didnt want to touch in the draft...but I am reserving hope.

I hear ya. I am scared ****less of it...he is the one guy last year that I didnt want to touch in the draft...but I am reserving hope.

I remember those discussions with you. Not to beat a dead horse, but it still pisses me off that we won that meaningless game at the end of that season to drop us down a few spots. The decision was more made for us than by us.

I remember those discussions with you. Not to beat a dead horse, but it still pisses me off that we won that meaningless game at the end of that season to drop us down a few spots. The decision was more made for us than by us.

Yep. I was just hoping he was drafted before we selected, and he wasnt offcourse and now he is on the Jets and I can only hope Rex can make him into a Football player.

Archived