Beckett Suspended 6 Games

Otter

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Beckett suspended six games

ESPN.com news services

Josh Beckett has been suspended six games and fined for throwing a head-high pitch at Bobby Abreu of the Los Angeles Angels, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday.

MLB disciplinarian Bob Watson said Beckett was suspended and fined an undisclosed amount for the pitch, in Sunday's game at Anaheim, and for his "aggressive actions after the pitch that incited the bench-clearing incident." His suspension was due to begin Tuesday night, unless he appealed.

Angels' hitting coach Mickey Hatcher was also suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount for his actions during the incident. His suspension was also to take effect Tuesday.

Angels' manager Mike Scioscia and players Torii Hunter and Justin Speier were also fined.

Beckett's pitch sailed over Abreu's head, leading to both benches clearing in the first-inning incident. Scoscia remained on the field while his players returned to the dugout, then was approached by Beckett. The teams returned to the field, pushing and shoving ensued, and Hunter, Hatcher and Speier were ejected.

"I've never hit anybody in the head, and it's not really on my list of stuff to accomplish. But people can think what they want to think," Beckett said after Sunday's game. "I know Bobby Abreu. He knows I'm not trying to hit him in the head. Obviously, there's been a lot of emotion in this series with them -- not only facing us, but obviously the tragedy that all of them went through."

Scioscia felt the pitch was intentional.

"Usually the pitcher will show a little bit of remorse and say that wasn't a part of it. But obviously, we didn't see any of that with Beckett," Scioscia said. "That was as blatant as anything I've seen in this game. What happened today absolutely crossed the line, and I think it was inexcusable. I really feel the league has to look at it."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Archived