Jets are talkin' to the Jags...

Jets Babe

Better accuracy, better competition in college, more of a "winner", better character.

Jay Cutler's career completion % in the NFL is within 2 % points of Sanchez's at USC, and only one of them played on a team that is way more overpowered then their opponents ..

Where do you get this from???

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
124, Sanchez can't hit the deep ball?

Did you EVER watch USC play? Sanchez throws a better deep ball than anyone in this draft, that's his strength. Mayock said it too, that if anything he struggled with the shorter stuff.

He throws a great deep ball. To compare his arm to Chad ****ing Pennington is simply ridiculous.

Chad Pennington once in a while can hit a deep ball as well.

Mike Mayock is the all know, end all draft guru? Really? All of these are FULL OF **** who are good at guessing more than the average Joe, thats all they freakin' are. The Draft is a guessing game.

I saw USC play, I saw Sanchez. He isn't impressive. I also saw his Combine workouts and his deep ball was HORRIBLE. ****ING HORRIBLE. With air only in his way.

If the Jets draft Sanchez we set back this franchsie 3-5 years.

Enjoy.

Sanchez declared early because he felt that he was ready for the pros, and he didn't want to make the same mistake that Leinart did.

Fair point about the Leinart mistake. Sanchez is coming out in a very QB-weak class whereas Leinart subjected himself to a stronger overall draft class; he could have left as a junior and would have been the consensus #1 pick. But, Sanchez's decision to leave early has more to do with him wanting money than it is about him feeling "ready." What does he know about the NFL game? And his coach went PUBLIC with his lack of support for Sanchez's supposed "readiness." Now, his decision will be validated because he'll get drafted high an he'll make his money. But nobody thinks this is a smart decision from a football standpoint. Mayock (NFLN) said that Sanchez might be the most NFL-ready out of this class, but that was more of a knock on Stafford than it is a positive for Sanchez.

I just think the ceiling is so much higher for him because he is an unknown. He can be better than Cutler. It's a crapshoot. Jets absolutely love him.

If being an unknown elevates a player in your mind, then the same argument holds for Josh Freeman as well. He, too, is an unknown. NFL teams are pumped up (apparently) about Sanchez because of his tools and his marketability. The height of his ceiling can range anywhere from Peyton Manning to Ryan Leaf--there is absolutely, positively NO way for anyone to gauge his potential, other than in a piecemeal fashion. He is a HUGE risk.

He has a great character...Cutler doesn't.

In college, Sanchez had rape allegations against him that cost him an entire Spring practice and left him on the bench for the year. Granted, the charges never led to an arraignment, but it's still a mark on his character that he found himself in that position. By contrast, CUtler had a public drunkenness/disturbing the peace issue against him. And, I'd also point out that Matt Leinart was a character-filled Golden Boy in college, then he got his money and started bouncing on Paris Hilton.

He has amazing accuracy...Cutler doesn't. We're a run first offense. We need an accurate passer.

All teams need an accurate passer, but before he throws the ball accurately, he has to know where he's supposed to throw it. Cutler already has a breadth of knowldge of the pro game that put him in the Pro Bowl. Sanchez might be able to throw a ball through a tire, but can he throw a ball through a tire in the fourth quarter against the Patriots in Foxboro in December while Richard Seymour is climbing on his back?

He comes from a good school who plays a pro-style offense, he's pro ready.

So did my main man Matt Leinart. And Sanchez isn't nearly as big-game tested as Leinart was coming out. How's Matty L ding?

We would have to completely change the offense around, and we are built to win now. You can't completely change an offensive scheme when you're built to win now. I think Sanchez would be a better fit.

If you're bring in a rookie QB who started for a handful of games in college and you make him your starter, you cease to be a "win-now" team.

You're right, I should always listen to the all knowing 124...LETS DRAFT NATE DAVIS!

:Ban:

Guess who the Jets had in for a visit?

Nate Davis.

:box:

They also had Moreno.

Can't say the same for Bust Wells.

When you get older you'll reralize teams bring in certain players at times as a smoke screen kid. ;)

And when you get older you'll realize teams bring in certain players at times as players they're going to draft, kid.

Fair point about the Leinart mistake. Sanchez is coming out in a very QB-weak class whereas Leinart subjected himself to a stronger overall draft class; he could have left as a junior and would have been the consensus #1 pick. But, Sanchez's decision to leave early has more to do with him wanting money than it is about him feeling "ready." What does he know about the NFL game? And his coach went PUBLIC with his lack of support for Sanchez's supposed "readiness." Now, his decision will be validated because he'll get drafted high an he'll make his money. But nobody thinks this is a smart decision from a football standpoint. Mayock (NFLN) said that Sanchez might be the most NFL-ready out of this class, but that was more of a knock on Stafford than it is a positive for Sanchez.

Sanchez still has a really good chance to be a #1 pick, but I think the Lions are going to roll with Stafford. And Carroll went public about it...because...well...who is their QB? He is going to really miss Sanchez next year.

If being an unknown elevates a player in your mind, then the same argument holds for Josh Freeman as well. He, too, is an unknown. NFL teams are pumped up (apparently) about Sanchez because of his tools and his marketability. The height of his ceiling can range anywhere from Peyton Manning to Ryan Leaf--there is absolutely, positively NO way for anyone to gauge his potential, other than in a piecemeal fashion. He is a HUGE risk.

This is true, but like you said, Sanchez has amazing tools. Great accuracy. Kid from USC. Whats not to like? Freeman, cannon of an arm, but a project player. Much different than Sanchez. Freeman is much more likely to bust than Sanchez is.

In college, Sanchez had rape allegations against him that cost him an entire Spring practice and left him on the bench for the year. Granted, the charges never led to an arraignment, but it's still a mark on his character that he found himself in that position. By contrast, CUtler had a public drunkenness/disturbing the peace issue against him. And, I'd also point out that Matt Leinart was a character-filled Golden Boy in college, then he got his money and started bouncing on Paris Hilton.

Those rape allegations were bull****. You know who else had rape allegations in college? Peyton Manning. The fact is that Cutler is a whiny bitch with Kenny Powers syndrome. Wahhhh, wahhhh, trade me! The NFL is a business, Cutler. Deal with it.

All teams need an accurate passer, but before he throws the ball accurately, he has to know where he's supposed to throw it. Cutler already has a breadth of knowldge of the pro game that put him in the Pro Bowl. Sanchez might be able to throw a ball through a tire, but can he throw a ball through a tire in the fourth quarter against the Patriots in Foxboro in December while Richard Seymour is climbing on his back?

Agreed.

So did my main man Matt Leinart. And Sanchez isn't nearly as big-game tested as Leinart was coming out. How's Matty L ding?

To be fair, Matty L had Reggie Bush, Lendale White and a sick defense. Sanchez had....linebackers.

If you're bring in a rookie QB who started for a handful of games in college and you make him your starter, you cease to be a "win-now" team.

The Ravens are a perfect example. They're built to win-now, but they had a rookie QB who did pretty well, no?

Chad Pennington once in a while can hit a deep ball as well.

Mike Mayock is the all know, end all draft guru? Really? All of these are FULL OF **** who are good at guessing more than the average Joe, thats all they freakin' are. The Draft is a guessing game.

I saw USC play, I saw Sanchez. He isn't impressive. I also saw his Combine workouts and his deep ball was HORRIBLE. ****ING HORRIBLE. With air only in his way.

If the Jets draft Sanchez we set back this franchsie 3-5 years.

Enjoy.

"all know, end all"? No. I agree that most of the "experts" are a joke but like it or not Mike Mayock knows his **** when it comes to draft prospects. He backs up every claim he makes with evidence and more often than not, what he says translates onto the field.

The only major concern I have with Sanchez is the eperience factor. When you watch him play it's obvious that the physical ability is there and what's most impressive of all is his accuracy. Which is by far the most important attribute for a QB to have coming out of college.

The only major concern I have with Sanchez is the eperience factor. When you watch him play it's obvious that the physical ability is there and what's most impressive of all is his accuracy. Which is by far the most important attribute for a QB to have coming out of college.

There are 2 factors that best predict success at the NFL level. Accuracy and experience. Sanchez is absurdly short on experience. Heres a cool article.

QB Analysis: College Success Translated to the NFL

This is the time of year when NFL GMs, coaches, and scouts get together and, often, argue over which college prospects will make the best pros. It's a time of year where many sleepless nights lead up to the NFL Draft at the end of April. Every year, scouts would agree that the hardest position to judge talent and attempt to predict NFL success is the quarterback, which just happens to be the most important position in the game. Like many of you, I also read all the scouting reports and try to interpet college statistics in hopes of figuring out which players will succeed in the NFL. This year, in particular, I've been paying close attention to the QB position, mainly because of the current QB situation in Miami. It's well known that the Dolphins are seriously considering taking a QB in the first 2 rounds, possibly even trading up for a chance to land Brady Quinn. So I thought now, with less than 2 weeks left until the NFL Draft, would be a good time to look back at recent drafts and use history to attempt to predict the future.

So how do we plan on doing this? Many scouts feel that, in interms of statistics, there are only 2 that matter when trying to translate college success into NFL success. They are starts and completion percentage. So let's go back and look at QBs taken in the first round and see if we can draw any conclusion on this theory.

Here, we have ranked most of the QBs taken in round 1 since 1998 by their career completion percentage. These are the QBs whose % is under 60%:

Player College Draft Starts Comp.%

Kyle Boller Cal 2003 31 48%

Ryan Leaf Wash. St. 1998 24 53%

Cade McNown UCLA 1999 42 55%

Joey Harrington Oregon 2002 26 55%

Mike Vick VT 2001 21 56%

JP Losman Tulane 2004 29 57%

Jay Cutler Vanderbilt 2006 43 57%

Akili Smith Oregon 1999 11 58%

Carson Palmer USC 2003 45 59%

So, of these QBs, the only one that has been very successful is Carson Palmer. And it's no coincidence that, of these QBs, he had the most collegiate starts. Jay Cutler looks as if he's going to be a good player, and he also had over 40 college starts.

Next, here are the QBs who had a career completion percentage of at least 60%:

Player College Draft Starts Comp.%

Tim Couch Kentucky 1999 27 67%

Alex Smith Utah 2005 22 66%

Ben Roethlisberger Miami (OH) 2004 38 65%

Byron Leftwich Marshall 2003 36 65%

\Matt Leinart USC 2006 39 65%

Philip Rivers NC St. 2004 49 64%

Daunte Culpepper Central Florida 1999 43 64%

Donovan McNabb Syracuse 1999 45 63%

Peyton Manning Tennessee 1998 45 63%

David Carr Fresno St. 2002 26 62%

Drew Brees Purdue 2001 26 61%

Rex Grossman Florida 2003 32 61%

Eli Manning Mississippi 2004 37 61%

Vince Young Texas 2006 32 61%

The first thing I notice here is that none of the QBs with less than 30 college starts, with the exception of Drew Brees, have had any real NFL success. I also notice that all of the QBs in this group with over 40 starts have had a lot of success at the next level (Philip Rivers has a smaller body of work to base this on, but he looked very good last year and most agree he will take another step forward in '07). I think what jumps out most here is that almost all of these QBs have had NFL success. Besides Tim Couch and David Carr, this group has accomplished a lot in the NFL already or will in the future (i.e. Alex Smith and Eli Manning).

I know this is a lot to digest, but I think this analysis really does show that many scouts may be correct in that collegiate starts and completion percentage are two stats that, when looked at together, can be a little bit of an indicator as to how successful that QB might be in the pros.

It's probably no coincidence that no first round QB drafted since 1998 that had started less than 30 games at the collegiate level and completed less than 60% of their passes has been successful in the NFL (see Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington and Akili Smith). It's also probably no coincidence that all QBs with over 40 starts and over 60% completion percentage have been successful at the next level. Now of course, there are other varialbes that do need to be considered, but the starts/completion percentage numbers are a good place to start when analyzing the college stats of a QB prospect.

There are 2 factors that best predict success at the NFL level. Accuracy and experience. Sanchez is absurdly short on experience. Heres a cool article.

QB Analysis: College Success Translated to the NFL

This is the time of year when NFL GMs, coaches, and scouts get together and, often, argue over which college prospects will make the best pros. It's a time of year where many sleepless nights lead up to the NFL Draft at the end of April. Every year, scouts would agree that the hardest position to judge talent and attempt to predict NFL success is the quarterback, which just happens to be the most important position in the game. Like many of you, I also read all the scouting reports and try to interpet college statistics in hopes of figuring out which players will succeed in the NFL. This year, in particular, I've been paying close attention to the QB position, mainly because of the current QB situation in Miami. It's well known that the Dolphins are seriously considering taking a QB in the first 2 rounds, possibly even trading up for a chance to land Brady Quinn. So I thought now, with less than 2 weeks left until the NFL Draft, would be a good time to look back at recent drafts and use history to attempt to predict the future.

So how do we plan on doing this? Many scouts feel that, in interms of statistics, there are only 2 that matter when trying to translate college success into NFL success. They are starts and completion percentage. So let's go back and look at QBs taken in the first round and see if we can draw any conclusion on this theory.

Here, we have ranked most of the QBs taken in round 1 since 1998 by their career completion percentage. These are the QBs whose % is under 60%:

Player College Draft Starts Comp.% Kyle Boller Cal 2003 31 48% Ryan Leaf Wash. St. 1998 24 53% Cade McNown UCLA 1999 42 55% Joey Harrington Oregon 2002 26 55% Mike Vick VT 2001 21 56% JP Losman Tulane 2004 29 57% Jay Cutler Vanderbilt 2006 43 57% Akili Smith Oregon 1999 11 58% Carson Palmer USC 2003 45 59% So, of these QBs, the only one that has been very successful is Carson Palmer. And it's no coincidence that, of these QBs, he had the most collegiate starts. Jay Cutler looks as if he's going to be a good player, and he also had over 40 college starts.

Next, here are the QBs who had a career completion percentage of at least 60%:

Player College Draft Starts Comp.% Tim Couch Kentucky 1999 27 67% Alex Smith Utah 2005 22 66% Ben Roethlisberger Miami (OH) 2004 38 65% Byron Leftwich Marshall 2003 36 65% Matt Leinart USC 2006 39 65% Philip Rivers NC St. 2004 49 64% Daunte Culpepper Central Florida 1999 43 64% Donovan McNabb Syracuse 1999 45 63% Peyton Manning Tennessee 1998 45 63% David Carr Fresno St. 2002 26 62% Drew Brees Purdue 2001 26 61% Rex Grossman Florida 2003 32 61% Eli Manning Mississippi 2004 37 61% Vince Young Texas 2006 32 61% The first thing I notice here is that none of the QBs with less than 30 college starts, with the exception of Drew Brees, have had any real NFL success. I also notice that all of the QBs in this group with over 40 starts have had a lot of success at the next level (Philip Rivers has a smaller body of work to base this on, but he looked very good last year and most agree he will take another step forward in '07). I think what jumps out most here is that almost all of these QBs have had NFL success. Besides Tim Couch and David Carr, this group has accomplished a lot in the NFL already or will in the future (i.e. Alex Smith and Eli Manning).

I know this is a lot to digest, but I think this analysis really does show that many scouts may be correct in that collegiate starts and completion percentage are two stats that, when looked at together, can be a little bit of an indicator as to how successful that QB might be in the pros.

It's probably no coincidence that no first round QB drafted since 1998 that had started less than 30 games at the collegiate level and completed less than 60% of their passes has been successful in the NFL (see Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington and Akili Smith). It's also probably no coincidence that all QBs with over 40 starts and over 60% completion percentage have been successful at the next level. Now of course, there are other varialbes that do need to be considered, but the starts/completion percentage numbers are a good place to start when analyzing the college stats of a QB prospect.

So, let's now look at the top 4 QBs (in my opinion) in the draft this year and compare their college numbers to some of the players listed above. First is JaMarcus Russell:

Player College Starts Comp.% 2007 Prospect: JaMarcus Russell LSU 29 61% Best Case Comparison: Vince Young Texas 32 61% Worst Case Comparison: JP Losman Tulane 29 57% Now don't get me wrong. Their styles of play may differ. This is more of a comparison of their college statistics. In this case, I think that Russell will end up more on the positive side than on the negative. But having less than 30 college starts has to be a little worrisome for a team that will be spending a top 5 pick on Russell and paying him insane amounts of money.

Next, let's look at the only other 1st round QB, Brady Quinn:

Player College Starts Comp.% 2007 Prospect: Brady Quinn Notre Dame 46 58% Best Case Comparison: Carson Palmer USC 45 59% Worst Case Comparison: Cade McNown UCLA 42 55% And this is just part of the reason why I hope the Dolphins land Quinn in the draft. His numbers greatly resemble those of Palmer, as do their styles of play and the level of competition they faced at the college level. I'm more inclined to guess Quinn will have a career more like Palmer than like McNown, and by a wide margin.

Next, let's look at the top QB of the second tier of prospects, Drew Stanton:

Player College Starts Comp.% 2007 Prospect: Drew Stanton Michigan St. 28 64% Best Case Comparison: Drew Brees Purdue 26 61% Worst Case Comparison: Tim Couch Kentucky 27 67% Stanton seems like a boom-or-bust type prospect, but isn't as much of a risk as a round 2 QB. He has tremendous upside and potential. Like both Brees and Couch, Stanton never had much of a surrounding cast. However, in my opinion, he's got the makings of a very good NFL quarterback as long as he has excellent coaching. If Miami decides to draft him in round 2, then Stanton will have great QB coaching from Cam Cameron and Terry Shea.

Lastly, let's take a look at Trent Edwards:

Player College Starts Comp.% 2007 Prospect: Trent Edwards Stanford 31 56% Best Case Comparison: Rex Grossman Florida 32 61% Worst Case Comparison: JP Losman Tulane 29 57% Edwards is a tricky player to really define. He has some upside because he can make all the throws and is a smart QB. But he's injury prone and has trouble making quick, decisive throws and, therefore, may not be a good fit for the Dolphins and Cameron's system. And for all I know, I could be totally wrong about Edwards. But I just don't like what I see from his stats. Too risky for my blood.

So there you have it. Now, will any of their college stats mean anything once training camp rolls around and these players hit the field with their respective teams? Probably not. But that isn't the point. The point here is that you can leaen something from the successes and mistakes of other teams in the past. Some people say that you can make statistics say whatever you want them too. And that idea may be true. But this was an impartial and unbiased look at past draft prospects and how their success, or lack thereof, needs to be considered when evaluating this year's QB prospects. If nothing else, hopefully you realized just how much time and effort goes into evaluating QB prospects for the NFL Draft and will realize that, if your team doesn't take the player YOU wanted them to, there's probably a reason for it. And maybe, just maybe, all you have to do to figure out that reason is to look at their stats and relate them to recent history.

Dude, a dolphins website?

http://www.thephinsider.com/story/2007/4/16/0619/91876

While I voted no, it would be cool to have Sanchez if he turned out to be good (yes, I know that's a no brainer).

But think how big he'd be in the Tri-state area if he was good. He'd be the perfect NY athlete for Derek Jeter to pass the torch of hometown celebrity to.

BTW, wouldn't it make more sense to be in talks with Green Bay at #9.

Maclin?

This draft is extremely WR rich. The Jets can pick up Robiskie in the 2nd, or Byrd in the 3rd. Both would be excellent picks and could contribute from day one. The draft this year is awesome for WRs.

Awesome for WRs? Like 2007? Sure you'd be okay if you ended up with Bowe or Johnson. How would you feel if you ended up with Meachem or Dwayne Jarrett? The '06 draft was supposed to be packed with OTs. I hear all the time how great it would be if we could have skipped D'Brick (Cutler? Ngata?) and gotten McNeil. How would you feel if we had Winston ****ing Justice at LT? Piece of **** can't even play guard yet and the Eagles will likely pay a king's ransom for Jason Peters.

If they fall in love with somebody they'll pull the trigger and how strong a position allegedly is won't matter. Tannenbaum has already shown that. There were plenty of CBs in '07, but they liked Revis. I can't complain.

I'd rather get Maclin at #8 than Sanchez.

Like I said, I might be on board with that. Or Crabtree.

I just think the ceiling is so much higher for him because he is an unknown. He can be better than Cutler. It's a crapshoot. Jets absolutely love him.

He has a great character...Cutler doesn't.

An unknown? Clemens? Ratliff? Ainge? They are uknown too. Does that mean that they have higher ceilings than Cutler? FWIW, that is the first time I've seen "character" listed with a player's ceiling. I don't see that a player having "great character" helps his ceiling. I don't really give a **** if my QB is going to save the orphans if he can't put a 30 yarder on the money.

v_rib5nD5P0

Yeah, can't hit the deep ball....:shock:

Two things with that video:

1. The deep passes are not the usual college highlights where a WR has no one within 15 yards of him & is standing still when the pass gets there. Even when his receivers are wide open, they don't seem to need to break stride (let alone come to an outright halt) to wait for the ball to get there. I'm trying to look at that more than how many tackles a WR broke to officially make it a TD pass.

2. Like all highlight videos, all you see is the good stuff here. I'm sure there is no youtube shortage of impressive compilations of guys who were total flops in the NFL. When under pressure he's just not going to have Cotchery standing all by himself 30 yards downfield waving his arms as though yelling "Throw it to me! I'm open! Throw it to me!"

In favor? No.

BTW, if the Jets do trade up, how is anyone sure it will be for Sanchez? Perhaps it will be for Crabtree.

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. Just because they say they have a lot of interest in Sanchez doesn't mean they won't try to steal crabtree at #8 if he's still there

Two things with that video:

1. The deep passes are not the usual college highlights where a WR has no one within 15 yards of him & is standing still when the pass gets there. Even when his receivers are wide open, they don't seem to need to break stride (let alone come to an outright halt) to wait for the ball to get there. I'm trying to look at that more than how many tackles a WR broke to officially make it a TD pass.

2. Like all highlight videos, all you see is the good stuff here. I'm sure there is no youtube shortage of impressive compilations of guys who were total flops in the NFL. When under pressure he's just not going to have Cotchery standing all by himself 30 yards downfield waving his arms as though yelling "Throw it to me! I'm open! Throw it to me!"

Maybe if it's Dustin Keller playing against the Cardinals. lol

I'm not a fan of trading up in general. Every year, I hope the team trades down. I'm just not sold on Sanchez at all at this point, and really don't like the idea of trading up for an inexperienced junior QB.

And the Jets are in dire need of a WR. If they had to make the move up (and Tannenbaum seems to like that sort of thing), I like Maclin's pro prospects better than Sanchez'.

Trade down? Oh so we can get some more lottery ticktets... I get it... give up on one of of the top 17 players in college football so we can get 3 or 4 lower round picks so we can have more shots in the dark... makes perfect sense... please save it

Trade down? Oh so we can get some more lottery ticktets... I get it... give up on one of of the top 17 players in college football so we can get 3 or 4 lower round picks so we can have more shots in the dark... makes perfect sense... please save it

Ah, but you assume that at #17 you're getting one of the top 17 players in college football and wouldn't get one several slots later.

If the player they like best, when our pick comes up, is a reach at #17 then trade down. What you don't do is say, "This is my guy and I don't care if he still would have been on the board 5-10 slots later."

Hell, you can pick up an extra 4th round pick just for moving down from #17 to #18-19, or an extra 3rd round pick for moving down to #21-22. If the player is a slight reach at #17, then trade down & still get the same guy plus an extra pick. If the top player on our board is expected to go within a couple of picks of #17, then grab him there & don't get cute about it.

But if the guy they want is Kenny Britt (as an example) or a similarly ranked player, don't pull the trigger on him at #17. You can likely get the same exact player several slots later & pick up an extra 3rd/4th rounder in the process.

That is why "reach" picks are criticized more than pure judgment of who a team likes better. You simply don't take a player ranked around #30-40 at #17; you trade down, end up with the same player, and effectively get something for nothing.

If the next handful of picks' value on the board at #17 is all of the OL-LB-S variety, then trading down is a good idea. If the value is at QB-WR--RB-TE-DE, and they are players the Jets covet, then make the pick at #17. If a "gotta have him & holy crap I can't believe he's still there" player is at #10-16, then move up to get him.

I don't like throwing around draft picks to move up, but I sure don't regret the move to do so in grabbing Revis, a move I never would have made myself at the time.

+1

Quality > Quantity

In terms of this rumor, there is no way to know that the Jets are really targeting Sanchez. They could be talking to the Jags with another player in mind. Teams keep things very close to the vest before the draft. If the Jets are showing public interest in Sanchez at this stage in the game, I would be willing to bet that it's a smokescreen.

Jets apparently love Sanchez, and they're talking to the Jags about moving up from 17 to 8. There is no way that Sanchez is falling past #10 (the 49ers really like him a lot), and the Jets want him. According to the draft value chart, it should only take about a 2nd and a late round pick to move up.

Would you guys be in favor of the move to draft Sanchez? I would. Sanchez is a winner with a terrific skillset.

Erica,

It would kill me to see the Jets trade up to get Sanchez. Sanchez's arm strength isn't as bad as Chad's, but it isn't very good either. We have all seen what happens to weaker armed QBs in the East Rutherford winds. Please, enough with QBs who do not have a gun for an arm. With the new stadium being taller, the winds will whip around even more. In addition, Sanchez is not ready to start in the NFL, not having had enough experience starting at USC. Sanchez could end up being a fine NFL QB, but I am not sold on the opinion that he is worth multiple day 1 picks. Let's see what the current Jets young QBs got (meaning Ratliff), build up other positions of great need in this draft (DE, WR for example) and if Clemens, Rat and Ainge stink it up in '09, then shoot for a QB in the 2010 draft. This would be the more intelligent course of action for Ryanbaum to take this year.

Archived